ImageImageImage

NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 7: Semi-Finals - Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns, 5:00pm l ESPN l Series tied 3-3

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,491

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 7: Semi-Finals - Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns, 5:00pm l ESPN l Series tied 3-3 

Post#1181 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 pm

handsome salary wrote:Monty is a very nice man but this is now the 4th straight series (going back to the Clippers) where most would say he's been outcoached. There's probably going to be a fall guy and it's either Ayton or Monty. I'd keep Ayton even at a high salary. Let's move on from the "I love these guys" locker room and into pros being pros.

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,638

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Game 7: Semi-Finals - Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns, 5:00pm l ESPN l Series tied 3-3 

Post#1182 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:55 pm

lonea wrote:LOL, that's a hot take. But sure.

I'm sure 29 other teams are scared of Ayton offensive abilities :lol:

Slim Charless wrote:Amare couldn't hold Ayton's jock if they both played each other.

I remember Amare going head to head with prime Tim Duncan. It was a sight to behold. Amare's defense wasn't great but he always stepped up to the challenge offensively.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,171

Post#1183 » by MrMiyagi » Mon May 16, 2022 11:56 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
King4Day wrote:Not a Pat Bev fan but this is a really good segment and at the 5 minute mark, he brings up what we've all been saying

I will never like Pat Bev but what he's speaking is truth.

The biggest Alonzo gif moment was when he talked about being benched in order to win a game but no one remembers the benching because they won the game. And then the kicker, the cherry on top was when he mentioned if Ty Lue was in Monty's position, he would've made the call and the right call would've been to sit CP3.

I think Monty is a really good coach and those calling him mediocre don't know what an actually mediocre coach is but there's very clearly and obviously levels to this. There's levels to NBA players, levels to NBA GM's and levels to NBA head coaches.

You got mediocre coaches who move on after a season or two (e.g Boylen, Watson) because obviously they just can't coach. You have the majority group of poor to sometimes above average coaches who stay on for 3-5 years, sometimes have a great season and then move on (Dwayne Casey, Thibs, McMillan). And then you get your consistently above average to great coaches who will have a good to great regular season record and stay on until they've worn out their welcome because of the lack of playoff success, I think Monty is in that group but time will tell, I think Snyder is in that group and I still think Doc is in this group. But then you have your elite coaches who aren't just regular season coaches but elite tactician in both the regular season and the playoffs and I put guys like Spo, Lue, Nurse, Pop and Kerr in there.

To say Monty is mediocre because he's not Lue, he's not Spo, he's not Nurse is ridiculous to me.

Monty trusts his players too much, and it's hard to fault him with the way this group had played for the past 190ish games.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,171

Post#1184 » by MrMiyagi » Mon May 16, 2022 11:59 pm

Revived wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
sunskerr wrote:Ayton is a role player and at this point does not project to be a star because of his limited offensive skill set. Same with Bridges. Try not to blow the cap on these guys. If they leave, oh well.

Bridges is already locked up.

Change the sig man come on unless you still seriously believe that. And I don’t know if you believe in jinxes or not but considering the whole “Don’t give up on Bender/Chriss” thing, please consider not putting any Suns player on there.

Maybe put something like “Suns will never win a championship ever” and maybe that will backfire in our favor.

Hope it helps!
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,638

Post#1185 » by lilfishi22 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
King4Day wrote:Not a Pat Bev fan but this is a really good segment and at the 5 minute mark, he brings up what we've all been saying

I will never like Pat Bev but what he's speaking is truth.

The biggest Alonzo gif moment was when he talked about being benched in order to win a game but no one remembers the benching because they won the game. And then the kicker, the cherry on top was when he mentioned if Ty Lue was in Monty's position, he would've made the call and the right call would've been to sit CP3.

I think Monty is a really good coach and those calling him mediocre don't know what an actually mediocre coach is but there's very clearly and obviously levels to this. There's levels to NBA players, levels to NBA GM's and levels to NBA head coaches.

You got mediocre coaches who move on after a season or two (e.g Boylen, Watson) because obviously they just can't coach. You have the majority group of poor to sometimes above average coaches who stay on for 3-5 years, sometimes have a great season and then move on (Dwayne Casey, Thibs, McMillan). And then you get your consistently above average to great coaches who will have a good to great regular season record and stay on until they've worn out their welcome because of the lack of playoff success, I think Monty is in that group but time will tell, I think Snyder is in that group and I still think Doc is in this group. But then you have your elite coaches who aren't just regular season coaches but elite tactician in both the regular season and the playoffs and I put guys like Spo, Lue, Nurse, Pop and Kerr in there.

To say Monty is mediocre because he's not Lue, he's not Spo, he's not Nurse is ridiculous to me.

Monty trusts his players too much, and it's hard to fault him with the way this group had played for the past 190ish games.

Ultimately you have to trust your guys because you're not out on the court yourself and you just can't micromanage the way they play 48min a game. It's just not possible. You *have* to give them leeway to make decisions and to make mistakes on the court and you just hope that on balance, they make more positive decisions and less mistakes overall.

Westbrook got a ton of flack when he said he's allowed to make mistakes out there and I totally agree. The problem is that he's making way more mistakes than positive decisions. CP3 is allowed to have turnovers, Booker is allowed to have bad shot selection and Ayton is allowed to have those dumb missed bunnies right at the basket because overall they make more right decisions, less mistakes and is a net positive on balance. But when a guy like CP3 who is very clearly hampered by something, maybe the defense, maybe his quad, maybe his hand, whatever it might be and on balance is now a net negative, Monty has to do something about it. Roll out Cam Payne, roll out Holiday, roll out bloody Elf...Hell run Iso Book if he has to. In a G7 elimination game where it's win or go home, you have to throw EVERYTHING out there, the cupboard should be bare and I don't think Monty did that
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1186 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 17, 2022 12:40 am

bisme37 wrote:Sorry about the game last night, Suns friends. That was just stunningly brutal and you didn't deserve it. Suns will be back!

Thanks for being classy! :beer:
Good luck with the Warriors! This actually needed to happen because there were many continually disregarded issues that must be properly addressed for this team to find it's chemistry and dominance again.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1187 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 17, 2022 1:03 am

SkyBill40 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote: *** snip ***

As much as I would include your well written post... I didn't want the ol' "wall of text."

Anyway... I think you're being a tad bit optimistic when expecting any of those teams giving us a top 4 pick in any trade. I just don't see it happening. Ayton being drafted first was a bit much and even though he can be a regular 20/10 guy doesn't mean they're going to reward us for giving him up that easily. While I would fully expect the Suns to demand a high first in return, it doesn't mean they're going to get it.

Yep! I'm usually as optimistic as I can be in tough situations. And maybe it wouldn't happen, But then we don't have to just surrender Ayton either for lesser value than what his perceived market value could be even aside from our team's recent collapse. I will also add
two things here:
1- Which rookie prospect is going to be even remotely as good as Ayton is currently (again, aside from this anomalous playoffs collapse from our team collectively)?? Considering that he's considered by most around the league to still be a top 10 center with a potential top 5 ceiling.

2- Each and all of the above-listed teams in the lottery lack/ and could really use a skilled, efficient and potentially elite big man. And Ayton is far and away better perceived big than any current big these teams have in terms of current value or potential upside. These teams have been bad for a while now, and may actually look to get better and advance their progression. Ayton does that faster and more effectively than any potential rookie prospect they'd have to develop, as Ayton is more developed.

So it's simple, If fair value isn't being offered, NO Ayton! We can always just match an offer and trade him later if need be! Again, IF no team offers us what we demand, We just hold onto him and trade him later. But when it gets closer to the draft and free agency, I think you'll be surprised by the level of interest he'll garner! :nod:
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#1188 » by RaisingArizona » Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 am

Pat Bev deserves a shot to the ribs next season for his clown comments
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1189 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 17, 2022 1:30 am

dremill24 wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote: *** snip ***

As much as I would include your well written post... I didn't want the ol' "wall of text."

Anyway... I think you're being a tad bit optimistic when expecting any of those teams giving us a top 4 pick in any trade. I just don't see it happening. Ayton being drafted first was a bit much and even though he can be a regular 20/10 guy doesn't mean they're going to reward us for giving him up that easily. While I would fully expect the Suns to demand a high first in return, it doesn't mean they're going to get it.

And that doesn't even take into account the other pieces. Top 4 pick AND Giddey? Top 4 pick AND WCJ/Anthony? Top 4 pick AND Grant? That would be quite generous in their part lol

Lol! How many trades do you know that start low when surrendering a franchise near max level super-efficient center with top 5 potential ceiling and the ability to guard all over the floor. You start high to try and secure the best overall return rather than depreciating your own assets' value openly. Also remember the next part wherein I stated If the Thunder don't want to include Giddey, NO BIG DEAL! Again you start with a rich offer to try and secure the highest value return. If there DO HAPPEN TO BE teams that aren't willing to surrender solid value, then we can always go elsewhere OR simply match his offer and hold him for potential trade later. It's funny to me that some on here so consistently choose to undervalue our core assets that many other teams would love (despite our recent team collapse). I don't know if it's more a product of a defeatist attitude that stems from being a suns fan, or just being disillusioned by recency bias?

tell me, what stars or even high-end talent have the Thunder managed to secure yet in spite of all of their young talent and assets?
What happens as those assets eventually expire with nothing tangible to show their fanbase for it to date? Who are they even in conversation to get? How often do people think a #1 pick and potential elite top 10 center with top 5 potential actually become available? If Giddey is really such a sticking point in a hypothetical value gap here, then leave him out please! It's not as if trades are immutable and are not fluid until they're completed. There are honestly a number of quality guard options with size in the upcoming draft, well into the 2nd round and even into the undrafted range too. Giddey as inclusionary is a high starting point to seek maximum value in the deal. He's not at all a make-or-break piece here! The make-or-break piece in any Ayton deal for me is a top 4 pick for the purpose of drafting Jaden Ivey. Anything beyond that is clearly the additional value that can be negotiated. :D

** Also, Do you honestly see WCJ as having significantly more value than Ayton? Do you think the majority of the league would see WCJ as having significantly more value than Ayton? What about perceived upside too? does anyone honestly think that WCJ actually has a higher upside value than Ayton? What about Cole Anthony? sure he's currently their starting guard but look at his stats, aside from the free-throw line 39% FG/ 33% 3PT. He's scoring on volume sure, but he's not been a world-beater by any means. AND the Magic still have at least 5 guards in their current stable. And Fultz and Suggs were both drafted higher than he was too. So at some point, they might prefer to try and get value out of those high-end investments don't ya think?

As for the Detroit trade, Did you not see the Cam Johnson and a future first inclusion?? You don't think that getting Ayton/ Cam Johnson and a future 1st is fair to good value for a player that's going to be able to otherwise leave for nothing in free agency (likely to Portland, Utah, or maybe even Golden state)? Maybe you're right though, Maybe they much rather get nothing as opposed to Cam Johnson and a 1st for him! :lol:
Preacher162a
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#1190 » by Preacher162a » Tue May 17, 2022 1:36 am

I had to process this loss. I don't post much but I'm here everyday reading.

The game plan clearly changed. We did a hell of a lot more ISO ball during both series. Mostly because of the inbound pressure. We did not run our .5 motion offense. We gave up on our defense schemes. We gave up, in both series, our clear advantage of our big's. We clearly stopped feeding our bigs in the p/r in favor of hero ball. By giving up our motion offense we hurt our role players like both of the Cams and Bridges by getting them involved. (I won't say Sham) We also shortened our bench so much that our energy guys had no rhythm if and when they played. And they usually did not play.

We never called a time out when other teams went on runs to adjust because there was no separate game plan. None. I've seen people ask, myself included, why no time outs? Because Monty refused to or did not have any other game plan. Zero. Cant adjust to crooked refs in games 4 and 5 if you only have one plan. Same with the first series. Can't adjust to pressure on Paul if he's the only plan.

The loss isn't on one player. This is on the coaching staff. That's all. Yeah Monty can't put the ball in the hoop. But he should be able to make adjustments so his players can.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1191 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 17, 2022 1:58 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I can let last season slide because we just didn't physically have the size to take on the Buck's front line (even though Mids and Holiday both torched us)

But this series is different. On paper, we had all the players we need and more to beat a Mavs team. We showed that in G1 and 2. Then Kidd adjusted and Monty had literally zero answers for it.

A few of us on here never really bought into the over the top Monty hype though. I for my part as well as others have throughout the whole season questioned his ability in being able to actually step up, adapt, be mutable with his rotations, utilize timeouts correctly, properly utilize his personnel correctly to get the most out of their abilities, instill basic basketball principles such as team rebounding and boxing out! Or defensive communication when flaring out and actually defending the perimeter.

How about holding his players accountable and being able to motivate them and inspire a sense of urgency in critical situations?

But the problem is that this is just who Monty is. Even back to his New Orleans days, He's the nicest most decent human being you'll ever meet. And in most circumstances, he's the most player friendly coach that you could hope for too. But here's the unpleasant reality. Monty just doesn't have that fire to really take our team to the next level in the playoffs. Now I'm going to share an even more inconvenient truth that might upset many here, but it needs to be heard!!!

Monty Williams isn't a good coach. He's a nice guy, but really overall he's a mediocre coach at best. The big secret which will eventually be discovered by everyone is actually that his success as a coach is directly tied to Chris Paul being the actual on court coach making him look good and successful. When Paul started falling off ( both in the finals and in this playoff series) and couldn't really dominate as a floor general/ player- coach himself) Monty has gotten continually exposed by lesser deemed coaches. It's actually Chris Paul whose done the bulk of the coaching from the floor and sidelines too.

This should be more transparent now than ever before. IF we choose to keep " nice guy" " immutable short rotations Monty" then we really need a passionate strong, dominant motivating presence on the bench with him to help offset his passivity and inability or blatant unwillingness to properly utilize his roster or basic coaching fundamental principles. Our embarrassing season collapse is at the very least 70% on him directly for not setting our players up to be successful in the situations. He also rightfully needs to own the majority of the blame as the formal leader of this team.

The players individually own the other 30% as they're supposed to be professionals and the very best of the best in the world as nba players playing at this level. And they get paid absurdly well to provide the very best product/ effort on the floor each game! IF NOT, then why are they getting paid millions upon millions (more than any of us will ever see in our lifetime) to not even show up?? There absolutely HAS TO BE ACCOUNTABILITY! Can anyone say that AT ANY OTHER JOB if an employee didn't even show up for work or came to work and did nothing, that it would be excused or they would simply get a pass?!?!?! :o

Again, it starts with Monty and trickles down to our players. Monty although a really nice guy and great human being just doesn't have the necessary fire/ passion, tenacity or aggression to get/ keep our team motivated when needed or to even hold them properly accountable. He's also the lesser defensive version of Mike D' Antoni in his rigidity and unwillingness to play beyond his primary rotation starters, thusly rendering any tangible depth useless. Moreover burning out our starters faster and prematurely to achieve our postseason goals.

We need to upgrade our coaching bench significantly. We need to upgrade our roster with actual greater length, elite athleticism and youthful energy and tenacity. We need to add tenacious, high energy, gritty players that are actually hungry and are relentless! We need to be more openminded to the draft and actually investing ( as other top teams do) in it and even 2nd round undiscovered talent that c as n be had at a significant discount. Our franchise has chosen to discount/ neglect young talent for the premise of vet experience. But you know what, established veterans can often be complacent as they've achieved financial security and no longer feel that they have anything to prove!!!

Many young players though, especially those in the 2nd round on unguaranteed contracts do have that fire and aggression trying to prove that they belong and work to achieve that security too. They also can offer significantly more relentless energy and tenacity than some more established and borderline washed veterans that have played heavy minutes for too many years and are frequently just going through the motions from burnout and apathy. This offseason is gonna be very dramatic and a huge barometer for our future. AND the entire league will likely be watching as will our fanbase.

I never thought Monty was an elite coach but credit where credit's due, he's not mediocre but he's not one of those upper echelon coaches like Lue, Spo or even Kidd has eclipsed him. You can criticise a lot about Monty but to say he's a mediocre coach is entirely rhetoric. You can't tell me actually mediocre coaches like Jim Boylen or Earl Watson are on the same level as Monty.

Agree to disagree! He IS ABSOLUTELY MEDIOCRE. Williams is carried by Paul being the actual coach on the court and on the sidelines. He can't instill basic basketball fundamentals such as boxing out or team rebounding, he doesn't properly use timeouts to stop opponents' momentum, he can't make timely adjustments, he can't keep his team focused or even motivated, he doesn't utilize his own personnel properly, always playing his favorites no matter how bad they're struggling, whilst other players rot on the bench without even getting legitimate minutes to contribute. It takes him excessively long to figure things out, He constantly sits on the sidelines typically for 80-90% of the game with a lost look on his face like a vegetable! He systematically lets other teams go on absurd runs before ever trying to adapt at all. He's always lost in figuring out oppositions' schemes, and he's utterly passive and exudes an air of insecurity and confusion. And I honestly could care less about the Boylen or Watson comparison, as neither had Chris Paul or the current roster talent gifted to Williams. Williams by the way pre-Paul had a losing record at 34-39 (10) in the west before Paul got here to be our on court coach............ coincidence??? Also, Williams only won 10 more games or so than Watson, even though Watson again had significantly less talent throughout the roster. I like Williams as a person, but he's definitely mediocre and without Paul, he'll be continually exposed going forward. What HAS TO HAPPEN is for the suns front office to seriously upgrade our coaching assistants, because Williams just isn't good enough to get it done without significant help.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,976

Post#1192 » by garrick » Tue May 17, 2022 2:01 am

We sacrificed Ayton's development in favor of team success but we needed to strike a balance between getting wins and planning for the post season.

If we do keep him and I do hope we do this is one major thing we need to change going forward.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,892

Post#1193 » by TeamTragic » Tue May 17, 2022 2:10 am

Preacher162a wrote:I had to process this loss. I don't post much but I'm here everyday reading.

The game plan clearly changed. We did a hell of a lot more ISO ball during both series. Mostly because of the inbound pressure. We did not run our .5 motion offense. We gave up on our defense schemes. We gave up, in both series, our clear advantage of our big's. We clearly stopped feeding our bigs in the p/r in favor of hero ball. By giving up our motion offense we hurt our role players like both of the Cams and Bridges by getting them involved. (I won't say Sham) We also shortened our bench so much that our energy guys had no rhythm if and when they played. And they usually did not play.

We never called a time out when other teams went on runs to adjust because there was no separate game plan. None. I've seen people ask, myself included, why no time outs? Because Monty refused to or did not have any other game plan. Zero. Cant adjust to crooked refs in games 4 and 5 if you only have one plan. Same with the first series. Can't adjust to pressure on Paul if he's the only plan.

The loss isn't on one player. This is on the coaching staff. That's all. Yeah Monty can't put the ball in the hoop. But he should be able to make adjustments so his players can.

This has been discussed to death. We are not blaming Ayton but his constant low effort on defense which is infuriating.

He wants a 5-year max but then relies on CP3/Booker to feed him the ball.
Preacher162a
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#1194 » by Preacher162a » Tue May 17, 2022 2:52 am

On the Ayton front... I have noticed that there is no development for bigs in this coaching staff. Ayton being the primary focus. Is he a lost little dude with issues? Yep, has any of the coaching staff addressed it? Have they brought in consultants to help him? We totally ruined Styx when he was here but when given minuets he played and played well. I agree that he should have been slotted as a small ball 5 or a Biz type center that was included in the motion but we gave him little to no burn. We brought in two vet centers who were very good and had been coached up on teams before coming here.

This brings me to speculate that what we have heard/suspected might be true. Monty plays favorites. Ayton seems to have no energy, well no use trying to develop him. Let's get that Shamet kid. My daughter needs a prom date and he seems like a good person. Can't shoot, dribble or pass but hey.... She really needs a date. Honestly I have no clue the love affair for Payne and Sham. D-League bench guys who got a lot of burn. And paid well for their effort. I don't get that. Holiday? Nope, wouldn't let him near my kid. Too.... Hairy. Yes, I know you can sometimes shoot, and you do bring high energy but.... Hairy! End of the bench. No soup for you.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#1195 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:20 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
dremill24 wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:

And that doesn't even take into account the other pieces. Top 4 pick AND Giddey? Top 4 pick AND WCJ/Anthony? Top 4 pick AND Grant? That would be quite generous in their part lol

Lol! How many trades do you know that start low when surrendering a franchise near max level super-efficient center with top 5 potential ceiling and the ability to guard all over the floor. You start high to try and secure the best overall return rather than depreciating your own assets' value openly. Also remember the next part wherein I stated If the Thunder don't want to include Giddey, NO BIG DEAL! Again you start with a rich offer to try and secure the highest value return. If there DO HAPPEN TO BE teams that aren't willing to surrender solid value, then we can always go elsewhere OR simply match his offer and hold him for potential trade later. It's funny to me that some on here so consistently choose to undervalue our core assets that many other teams would love (despite our recent team collapse). I don't know if it's more a product of a defeatist attitude that stems from being a suns fan, or just being disillusioned by recency bias?

tell me, what stars or even high-end talent have the Thunder managed to secure yet in spite of all of their young talent and assets?
What happens as those assets eventually expire with nothing tangible to show their fanbase for it to date? Who are they even in conversation to get? How often do people think a #1 pick and potential elite top 10 center with top 5 potential actually become available? If Giddey is really such a sticking point in a hypothetical value gap here, then leave him out please! It's not as if trades are immutable and are not fluid until they're completed. There are honestly a number of quality guard options with size in the upcoming draft, well into the 2nd round and even into the undrafted range too. Giddey as inclusionary is a high starting point to seek maximum value in the deal. He's not at all a make-or-break piece here! The make-or-break piece in any Ayton deal for me is a top 4 pick for the purpose of drafting Jaden Ivey. Anything beyond that is clearly the additional value that can be negotiated. :D

** Also, Do you honestly see WCJ as having significantly more value than Ayton? Do you think the majority of the league would see WCJ as having significantly more value than Ayton? What about perceived upside too? does anyone honestly think that WCJ actually has a higher upside value than Ayton? What about Cole Anthony? sure he's currently their starting guard but look at his stats, aside from the free-throw line 39% FG/ 33% 3PT. He's scoring on volume sure, but he's not been a world-beater by any means. AND the Magic still have at least 5 guards in their current stable. And Fultz and Suggs were both drafted higher than he was too. So at some point, they might prefer to try and get value out of those high-end investments don't ya think?

As for the Detroit trade, Did you not see the Cam Johnson and a future first inclusion?? You don't think that getting Ayton/ Cam Johnson and a future 1st is fair to good value for a player that's going to be able to otherwise leave for nothing in free agency (likely to Portland, Utah, or maybe even Golden state)? Maybe you're right though, Maybe they much rather get nothing as opposed to Cam Johnson and a 1st for him! :lol:

Do we need those PGs if Pop wants to trade Murray for CP3 as you said you think he would?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1196 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 17, 2022 3:40 am

Spoiler:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
dremill24 wrote:

Do we need those PGs if Pop wants to trade Murray for CP3 as you said you think he would?

Lol! Very funny man! :wink:
Obviously it's two different situations between Paul then and Paul now! But all jokes aside, Yes! Any of the guards I specifically mentioned as 2nd round to undrafted prospects actually have great size, are really adept, crafty playmakers, and are versatile in skillset, so it would behoove us to consider it for sure, especially considering our cap situation.

But as far as the original sarcastic comment, back around that postulation, it was absolutely possible considering Pops' relationship to Paul, Paul's percieved value as a game changer and "point god" around the league, as well as pops' influence in their organization. All trades being fluid and values fluctuating, whatever needed to be inclusive to the trade postulation. By the way, if you find some time, you should check out those names for the prospects mentioned as they're actually very intriguing in their individual skillsets/ potential. :D

** Not that the suns will make any real tangible changes most likely.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#1197 » by BlueSan » Tue May 17, 2022 4:34 am

Oh boy I was not expecting this guys. You have a great team real dragons breathing fire. But we just slew you like in some fairytale.

I think next season you come back extremely strong with an added point guard
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,043

Post#1198 » by sunsbg » Tue May 17, 2022 8:36 am

BlueSan wrote:Oh boy I was not expecting this guys. You have a great team real dragons breathing fire. But we just slew you like in some fairytale.

No other explanation for such bad loss other than your masterclass jinxing. Hope you are not doing the same for our offseason now. Have mercy. :lol:
hauntedkiwi
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#1199 » by hauntedkiwi » Tue May 17, 2022 1:18 pm

BlueSan wrote:Oh boy I was not expecting this guys. You have a great team real dragons breathing fire. But we just slew you like in some fairytale.

More likely this team gets blown up and Booker is playing in Minnesota. Neither is going to happen though.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,247

Post#1200 » by enigmatics » Tue May 17, 2022 4:38 pm

garrick wrote:We sacrificed Ayton's development in favor of team success but we needed to strike a balance between getting wins and planning for the post season.

If we do keep him and I do hope we do this is one major thing we need to change going forward.

I have a hard time believing they supposedly passed on developing Ayton simply for team success alone. If you actually have an elite weapon you're not going away from it - you're incorporating it.

IMO they've clearly seen something in him that doesn't give them confidence in having him shoulder a lot of the offensive load. I wouldn't blame them, as he's largely been a finesse jump short oriented big man who experiences large spurts where he's aimlessly floating around the paint not sealing off or rolling to the hoop. Let's not forget how many times we've seen him get fronted by guys half his size.

The problem with Ayton is upstairs. The dog is not there. The guy seems more concerned with contracts and video games than the fundamentals of basketball.

Return to Phoenix Suns