ImageImageImage

2022-23 Off-Season Discussion and Speculation

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where do you think we finish in the standings?

13%
22%
31%
13%
9%
7%
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 45

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,928

Re: 2022-23 Off-Season Discussion and Speculation 

Post#13281 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:35 am

PhxLax wrote:This could all be very simple if u willing to give a first round pick to Mark Cuban. Crowder goes back to starting job with team that loves him and Suns get young stud defensive PF on great 4 year contract who can shoot the 3 ball.

Suns Get: Finney-Smith
Mavs Get: Crowder & 1st Rd Pick

Ayton-Saric-Biz
DFS-Cam-Ish
Bridges-Craig-Okogie
Booker-Shamet-Lee
CP3-Payne-Washington

Landale, Cabaroot, Frank Jackson plug in somewhere if make the team?

The Mavs LOVE Finney-Smith, they wouldn't trade him for Crowder AND Cam Johnson.

He was extended and he is perfect next to Doncic. I underrated him in the past but I saw how great he is playing within his role in the playoffs.

The guy is one of the best 3&D in the league because he adds rebounding and toughness to the team.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#13282 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:42 am

BobbieL wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Underrated signing, I like Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot.

He is better than Torrey Craig IMO. He is more a 2/3 than a 3/4, but similar skill-set.

Craig is the type of contract that might need to be added to "make the math work" so having this type of signing is not hte worst thing. Granted, that means the trade was kind of a flop but such is life

Yeah, Crowder + Craig for one player that can give us quality minutes would be nice.

If we are definitely starting Cam Johnson at PF we can (again) try to get Eric Gordon for those players and a highly protected FRP.

Our wing depth would be OK with

Mikal/Okogie/Luwawu-Cabarrot
Cam Johnson/Saric/Wainright

A more balanced roster IMO.
Iceman36
Sophomore
And1: 311

Post#13283 » by Iceman36 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:11 am

bwgood77 wrote:I'm excited for the season. But I'm excited for every season. Of course every season since 2010 except the first season for Hornacek was a massive disappointment, but when we traded for Paul I was interested to see how good we could be.

I certainly wasn't expecting the finals but it was fun. I knew many of the favorites had massive injuries so I did worry that expectations for the team going forward would be too high and people would throw more blame around than maybe even all our 20 win seasons...because I've seen it happen a lot. And we had the Sarver story hanging over our season.

But then last season we rolled. I didn't think we could beat GS and Memphis scared me a bit but though we had a decent chance. I just knew we for the most part had a very young core without much playoff experience....and those teams seem to take a while to get over the hump if they ever do. Even the Bucks had the best record a couple years before getting over the hump...getting massively upset in not so many games by the Heat when they were the heavy favorite having rolled over teams throughout the regular season.

I will be interested to see what happens with Crowder but mostly am curious to see if Booker can reach #1 guy on a serious contender status. It seems like many at this point feel no, evidenced by the fact they felt the need to get KD. We will see..his defensive improvements have been great. I am interested in seeing if he could be the primary ball handler post Paul.

And then Ayton and how they've said he has added next level stuff to his game. Interesting to see what he has added this year after improving so much offensively last year and defensively the year before.

It would be nice to see Bridges step more on offense. He could really be the key to us exploding offensively, and helping us maintain once Paul is gone.

I also don't think 2-3 bad games in a series last year defines our team from last year. Teams get upset in playoff series. It happens all the time.

Many felt last year we had our best team ever...whatever the case, it was certainly close with mostly young guys who will only get better.

Good Post!
I agree with you in many points and I'm excited for the new season, too!
We have a team, that reached the finals 2 seasons ago and broke the franchise win record last season. No need for so much negitivity in here!
Sure, we didn't deliver in the playoffs, but I think, we learned a lot.
I just hope, Monty gets better in playoff coaching. He was outcoached by Bud, Willie and Kidd in a row and he still has no decent ingame coaching. Yes, he regulary fails at that. Monty is my biggest concern.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#13284 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:10 am

For those who wants to know more about Luwawu-Cabarrot and his strengths.

https://youtu.be/WaK_wLI_Bv8

https://youtu.be/wKIg2bx0yBw

nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#13285 » by nevetsov » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:35 pm

Crowder and Shamet for Nance and Devonte Graham

Paul, Graham, Payne
Booker, Okogie, Lee
Bridges, Craig, TLC
Johnson, Nance, Saric
Ayton, Biyombo, Landale

Pels get a front court veteran with playoff experience to mentor Zion and help the Pels negotiate the postseason. They also get out of Graham's hefty deal (one more guaranteed year than Shamet) who is now redundant with McCollum's extension, Alvarado's postseason play and Kira Lewis as third string.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,929

Post#13286 » by Fo-Real » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:46 pm

Jones seems to have been coveting Thad Young for a couple years, wonder if he is an option for a Crowder trade?
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,929

Post#13287 » by Fo-Real » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:54 pm

I'm excited for the season because I think a featured Ayton is gonna have a monster year.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,279

Post#13288 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:14 pm

Fo-Real wrote:I'm excited for the season because I think a featured Ayton is gonna have a monster year.

Agree, I hope the Suns actually start playing like a second option on offense. When Paul was out, Ayton's numbers jumped up while retaining elite efficiency, then when booker was out in the first round, Ayton again stepped up.

I feel like Ayton is horribly under-utilized when Paul and Booker are both playing. I hope Monty will involve him more.
Spoiler:
Scutt
Senior
And1: 552

Post#13289 » by Scutt » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:23 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:I'm excited for the season because I think a featured Ayton is gonna have a monster year.

Agree, I hope the Suns actually start playing like a second option on offense. When Paul was out, Ayton's numbers jumped up while retaining elite efficiency, then when booker was out in the first round, Ayton again stepped up.

I feel like Ayton is horribly under-utilized when Paul and Booker are both playing. I hope Monty will involve him more.

Did I miss something? The great Monty Williams has already said on multiple occasions that going to Ayton is "not Suns basketball". Ayton apparently just needs to be a role player, so Booker and Paul can chuck away. Don't forget those off balance, contestested airball 3's by Crowder. That's real Suns basketball.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#13290 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:00 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Jones seems to have been coveting Thad Young for a couple years, wonder if he is an option for a Crowder trade?

Yeah, decent option.

IDKW they wait and wait and wait. We heard about KD news a month ago, plenty of time to work on a trade involving Crowder.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,263

Post#13291 » by Slim Charless » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:17 pm

Scutt wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:

Did I miss something? The great Monty Williams has already said on multiple occasions that going to Ayton is "not Suns basketball". Ayton apparently just needs to be a role player, so Booker and Paul can chuck away. Don't forget those off balance, contestested airball 3's by Crowder. That's real Suns basketball.

Great reasoning why Monty needs to go this year if he can't produce. Quin and even possibly Ime are much better options than him. Monty-ball of letting Booker and CP3 run the team should get this season to get us back to the finals and if not, he should go.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,946

Post#13292 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:19 pm

Lee, Okogie, Landale, Jackson, Luwawu.

If you said that would be our off-season you'd have been called a troll!
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,907

Post#13293 » by Damkac » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:12 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:

Yeah it would be great. But I'm not even sure if the Suns want to keep him or are looking to trade him later.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,807

Post#13294 » by BobbieL » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:17 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Scutt wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:

Great reasoning why Monty needs to go this year if he can't produce. Quin and even possibly Ime are much better options than him. Monty-ball of letting Booker and CP3 run the team should get this season to get us back to the finals and if not, he should go.

I wouldn’t believe anything about Monty saying they won’t feature Ayton

The suns have to feature Ayton. He can be the difference maker. He needs to be a guy that can score 22-24 per game. At least need to spend the first third of the season featuring DA.

The Cams and DA need to be featured -
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,613

Post#13295 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:28 pm

Iceman36 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I'm excited for the season. But I'm excited for every season. Of course every season since 2010 except the first season for Hornacek was a massive disappointment, but when we traded for Paul I was interested to see how good we could be.

I certainly wasn't expecting the finals but it was fun. I knew many of the favorites had massive injuries so I did worry that expectations for the team going forward would be too high and people would throw more blame around than maybe even all our 20 win seasons...because I've seen it happen a lot. And we had the Sarver story hanging over our season.

But then last season we rolled. I didn't think we could beat GS and Memphis scared me a bit but though we had a decent chance. I just knew we for the most part had a very young core without much playoff experience....and those teams seem to take a while to get over the hump if they ever do. Even the Bucks had the best record a couple years before getting over the hump...getting massively upset in not so many games by the Heat when they were the heavy favorite having rolled over teams throughout the regular season.

I will be interested to see what happens with Crowder but mostly am curious to see if Booker can reach #1 guy on a serious contender status. It seems like many at this point feel no, evidenced by the fact they felt the need to get KD. We will see..his defensive improvements have been great. I am interested in seeing if he could be the primary ball handler post Paul.

And then Ayton and how they've said he has added next level stuff to his game. Interesting to see what he has added this year after improving so much offensively last year and defensively the year before.

It would be nice to see Bridges step more on offense. He could really be the key to us exploding offensively, and helping us maintain once Paul is gone.

I also don't think 2-3 bad games in a series last year defines our team from last year. Teams get upset in playoff series. It happens all the time.

Many felt last year we had our best team ever...whatever the case, it was certainly close with mostly young guys who will only get better.

Good Post!
I agree with you in many points and I'm excited for the new season, too!
We have a team, that reached the finals 2 seasons ago and broke the franchise win record last season. No need for so much negitivity in here!
Sure, we didn't deliver in the playoffs, but I think, we learned a lot.
I just hope, Monty gets better in playoff coaching. He was outcoached by Bud, Willie and Kidd in a row and he still has no decent ingame coaching. Yes, he regulary fails at that. Monty is my biggest concern.

I agree, Monty can improve, as can our young players. Look at Jason Kidd..he has improved coaching (though Doncic makes it easier, but then again, he did have Giannis).

Obviously some thought with KD, Paul and Book and one of Cam and Mikal was a finals shoo in, but of course even a favorite usually only has a 30% chance of winning it all unless you are like that Warriors team that won 73 and added KD without losing anyone but Barnes.

We feel depth is a slight problem now, and worry about CP3's demise, but with so much relying on KD and Paul in that scenario, we would have really been relying on very old injury prone players with no depth and probably a higher likelihood of Book wanting out in a few years.

Anyway, our chances are not any worse in my mind, but even if they were, it isn't meaningfully less, and adding any injury possibility, they are probably better, knowing Bridges is an iron man and KD has played 90 games the last 3 years.

We are were one of the best teams last year with this core, who should still improve and have more playoff experience. The competition will be tougher but we should still be a top 5 team in the West, with a better playoff chance than all but GS and the Clips, and Curry/Klay/Draymond will be declining soon even if they have depth, an improving Wiggins, Poole, Kuminga and young guys with depth, and we know Kawhi isn't totally reliable (though if he and George are, they scare me the most). But even if those teams are healthy, if we are at our best, we have a decent chance of beating them. Their depth scares me so our bench has to step up.

But to be a competitive team in the mix is really all you can hope for going into the season. Of course all team's fans hope for a ring, but no team by any means has this guaranteed.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#13296 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:12 pm

The Phoenix Suns and Jae Crowder have mutually agreed that the veteran forward will not participate in training camp as the sides work on a trade, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#13297 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:15 pm

Again...it's weird to wait THAT MUCH to trade a valuable player who doesn't give a **** about playing for your team anymore.

Crowder isn't an All Star but is a serviceable player who can play 25-30 mpg for any team in the league but he is 32 and on an expiring deal, so the value isn't gonna be really high.

Get a solid player or some pick and call it a day.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,979

Post#13298 » by TeamTragic » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:30 pm

Saberestar wrote:
The Phoenix Suns and Jae Crowder have mutually agreed that the veteran forward will not participate in training camp as the sides work on a trade, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

Read on Twitter

This is getting ridiculous :lol:
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#13299 » by Saberestar » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:36 pm

The Suns have been actively seeking a new home via trade for Jae Crowder and officially announce that Crowder will not be asked to report to training camp with Media Day on Monday and Phoenix’s first practice Tuesday.

Read on Twitter

From my understanding the Suns gave Jae Crowder and his representation permission to seek a trade.

Read on Twitter
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,138

Post#13300 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:37 pm

Does any1 think Sarver might not sell?

He could have said he's going to sell to get all the heat off his back...

We all rejoiced at the time but Sarver isn't news anymore...

He knows the worst of it is over now and can lay low...a year from now if he's still owner and his suspension is over...will people even care? I mean besides us suns fans...

What are the odds He still trys to hold on to the team?

Like 80% sell 20% keep?

Return to Phoenix Suns