ImageImageImage

2023 Draft Discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,501

Re: 2023 Draft Discussion - options for the 52nd pick! 

Post#201 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed May 17, 2023 4:29 am

Read on Twitter

We've been talking a lot about needing high-end defenders with size and versatility. Leaky Black is a very underrated wing defender with great size at 6'9 with a high motor, good basketball IQ, some guard skills, underrated playmaker too. Very similar in mold/ archetype to Herb Jones. He should be available to us in the late 2nd to the undrafted range. :nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#202 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue May 23, 2023 7:26 am

A very fundamentally solid 4/SB 5 that I've not really mentioned yet but would consider a very underrated pickup in the late 1st/early 2nd (IF a trade back depth scenario situation presents itself for us on draft night) :wink: :wink:

just happens to be Trace Jackson Davis
https://www.tankathon.com/players/trayce-jackson-davis
At 6'9 245 lbs with a 7'1 wingspan and a very polished, high IQ game. He's very fluid, strong athletic, aggressive (embraces physicality), and possesses very solid shooting mechanics/ playmaking for a 6'9 big. Again, fundamentally, he's very productive and polished with a good pedigree as the son of Dale Davis.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#203 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed May 24, 2023 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#204 » by spanishninja » Thu May 25, 2023 1:47 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

We've been talking a lot about needing high-end defenders with size and versatility. Leaky Black is a very underrated wing defender with great size at 6'9 with a high motor, good basketball IQ, some guard skills, underrated playmaker too. Very similar in mold/ archetype to Herb Jones. He should be available to us in the late 2nd to the undrafted range. :nod:

the whole league should be in a bidding war to draft a guy named Leaky Black.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Post#205 » by Saberestar » Thu May 25, 2023 2:01 am

Emoni Bates has workouts coming up with the Brooklyn Nets, Oklahoma City Thunder, Phoenix Suns, Cleveland Cavaliers and the Detroit Pistons prior to the NBA Draft. He has already worked out for the Charlotte Hornets and met with the Dallas Mavericks.

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#206 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 25, 2023 2:05 am

spanishninja wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

the whole league should be in a bidding war to draft a guy named Leaky Black.

He's an example of the kind of hidden talent that's currently ranged in the late 2nd to the undrafted range but fits the defensive archetype of a Herb Jones! But also people might not be aware that he also has some guard skills. He's a very solid ball handler, and an underrated somewhat savvy playmaker too.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#207 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 25, 2023 2:15 am

Saberestar wrote:
Emoni Bates has workouts coming up with the Brooklyn Nets, Oklahoma City Thunder, Phoenix Suns, Cleveland Cavaliers and the Detroit Pistons prior to the NBA Draft. He has already worked out for the Charlotte Hornets and met with the Dallas Mavericks.

Read on Twitter

I definitely wouldn't mind him as a potential swing upside option with the 52nd pick if still on the board. He certainly has a unique and diverse scoring package and is very fluid for a 6'10 wing/forward. Also, he has that irrational confidence that superstars have, so that's a good start! Especially if we could get him for nearly nothing and then toss him in the Gleague for a season or two so he can cook/develop. :wink:
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#208 » by kennydorglas » Thu May 25, 2023 9:19 pm

I wonder what team will take a chance on Edey tbh.
Actually his combine numbers look super good, he carries his weight very well.

Interesting name for teams thinking outside of the box here. (obviously not us)
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#209 » by DRK » Fri May 26, 2023 3:32 am

A team in our position should be targeting smart 3-4 year basketball players with solid fundamentals. Miami currently have guys like Gabe Vincent, Caleb Martin, Duncan Robinson, Max Struss - all 4-5 year guys in College.

Low ceiling, but solid and smart basketball players which know how to play a role in a system.
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#210 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 26, 2023 3:44 am

Read on Twitter
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#211 » by RedIndian » Fri May 26, 2023 6:31 am

DRK wrote:A team in our position should be targeting smart 3-4 year basketball players with solid fundamentals. Miami currently have guys like Gabe Vincent, Caleb Martin, Duncan Robinson, Max Struss - all 4-5 year guys in College.

Low ceiling, but solid and smart basketball players which know how to play a role in a system.

Agreed. For that reason, I would also avoid rim-running bigs or small guards. Young bigs are generally completely unplayable in their first few years in the NBA - this draft has quite a few in the 2nd round - Dereck Lively, Adem Bona, DaRon Holmes, Adama Sanogo, James Nnaji. Some of them are intriguing, but I'd avoid them all solely because I don't think they'll be able to contribute to meaningful playoff basketball for at least 2-3 years.

Likewise with the smallish guards like Bailey, Beekman, Miles Jr, Wong. A lot of them would score in the NBA no doubt, but small guards just get cut out of the rotation in the playoffs, and unless it's a premium first round talent, whose scoring talent is potentially all-star level, I'd stay clear of this archetype.

I think our best bet is to target steady wings who are proven shooters, and solid team defenders.

My top picks, from whatever little I have seen in the 2nd round of this draft would be Julian Strawther, Trey Alexander, Seth Lundy and maybe Jaime Jaquez Jr. and Terrence Shannon Jr.

I think those are best bets at finding players who can immediately contribute to our rotation and play a solid role straight away.

While I'm at it, I'd also say that there are two absolute boom/bust type prospects in the 2nd round in Mouhamed Gueye and Nikola Djurisic.

Gueye is hugely intriguing - 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan. Only played organised ball for 3 years, but already has advanced ball-handling skills and touch for his size. Used to play soccer earlier. Just very very intriguing - seems to have a high motor, tremendous athleticism and a burgeoning skillset. If he hits, he could well be the next Siakam. Or he could flame out completely given how inexperienced he is. Wide range of outcomes, but the allure is undeniable.

Djurisic is also hugely intriguing. 6'8, with guard skills. Good first step, and looks super comfortable in the PnR. You watch him, and you get flashes of Booker or Doncic, the way he rises in midrange. Yet his efficiency numbers are very poor. He's still only 19, and frankly, it's difficult to predict if you're getting the next Booker or the next Hezonja.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#212 » by sunskerr » Fri May 26, 2023 7:07 am

I would argue that rim running bigs have never been safer to look for. The skill requirement is quite frankly less than other positions and there's a deeper talent pool than ever in basketball. The body types filling rim runner roles is also more expansive too, with shorter 6'8/6'9" guys doing it as well.

You still have to not suck at scouting of course. Can't pick any leaper and expect them to be defensively competent.

Ultimately though we just need a rotation level player to fill out the roster and the position almost is irrelevant because we have probably the worst depth in the league.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#213 » by kennydorglas » Fri May 26, 2023 8:15 am

Yeah any soccer background for a NBA player is almost a must nowadays.
The ammount of spatial awareness and coordination you gain by playing it day by day is ENORMOUS.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#214 » by RedIndian » Fri May 26, 2023 12:12 pm

;ab_channel=LeagueHim

This guy could come in and contribute immediately. Automatic from the three, and a solid defender with good length and a good frame to boot. Really showed out at the draft combine
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#215 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 26, 2023 2:03 pm

sunskerr wrote:I would argue that rim running bigs have never been safer to look for. The skill requirement is quite frankly less than other positions and there's a deeper talent pool than ever in basketball. The body types filling rim runner roles is also more expansive too, with shorter 6'8/6'9" guys doing it as well.

You still have to not suck at scouting of course. Can't pick any leaper and expect them to be defensively competent.

Ultimately though we just need a rotation level player to fill out the roster and the position almost is irrelevant because we have probably the worst depth in the league.

:nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#216 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri May 26, 2023 9:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#217 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 27, 2023 3:06 am

Just thought I'd share with everyone that the closest player we'll find to Kevon Looney is Nathan Mensah of San Diego State!
For comparison:

Kevon Looney-
6'9 222 lbs. wingspan- 7'4.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/looneke01.html
7 /9 /2 assists/ 0.6 blocks.
63%FG/ 16% 3PT/60%FT/ 63%EFG.

Nathan Mensah-
6'10 230 lbs. Wingspan- 7'4.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/nathan-mensah-1.html
6/ 5.9 / 0.6 assists/1.6 blocks.
52% FG/ 50% 3PT/64%FT / 52% EFG.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,935

Post#218 » by grumpysaddle » Sat May 27, 2023 5:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Just thought I'd share with everyone that the closest player we'll find to Kevon Looney is Nathan Mensah of San Diego State!
For comparison:

Kevon Looney-

Nathan Mensah-

Mensah is worth a late 2nd round pick for sure. Worth a flyer. His offense is absolutely abysmal, but for his size he's a hell of a defender.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#219 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 27, 2023 11:11 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Just thought I'd share with everyone that the closest player we'll find to Kevon Looney is Nathan Mensah of San Diego State!
For comparison:

Kevon Looney-

Nathan Mensah-

Mensah is worth a late 2nd round pick for sure. Worth a flyer. His offense is absolutely abysmal, but for his size he's a hell of a defender.

Yeah! His offense isn't really developed yet. I just see him currently as a more cost effective alternative option to Biyombo IF we can't or don't look to bring him back? My vet choice for more immediate contribution in that area along with Landale would be Drew Eubanks as he's pretty quick, athletic and hitting around 38% from three and from San Antonio's system defensively. Kind of a bigger better shooting Lou Amundson for us. But Nathan Mensa does have elite untapped defensive potential.

And the best part about Mensah is that like a few other key prospects I've scouted off/ on for awhile now, he's ranging in the undrafted range. So we wouldn't even have to really burn a pick on him. Really, at least 4-5 of the top high end positional defenders that would just happen to address areas of critical need for us and that people should really check and could significantly improve our overall team defense from the jump are in the late 2nd to undrafted range:

1- Reece Beekman Guard ( Virginia).
2- Jaylen Clark SG/ SF ( UCLA).
3- Leaky Black SF/PF ( North Carolina).
4- Justyn Mutts SF/PF ( Virginia tech).
5- Nathan Mensah C ( San Diego State).
:nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#220 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 27, 2023 12:12 pm

Reece Beekman is probably one of the most NBA-ready guards in the entire draft and a severely underrated lockdown defender at the guard position.

https://www.si.com/college/virginia/basketball/reece-beekman-snubbed-on-naismith-defensive-player-of-the-year-watch-list

Reece Beekman Snubbed on Naismith Defensive Player of the Year Watch List

Beekman was excluded from the 15-player watch list for the 2023 Naismith Defensive Player of the Year
MATT NEWTON
JAN 26, 2023 11:57 PM EST

Naismith Men's Defensive Player of the Year 2023 Watch List

Chase Audige, Northwestern
Leaky Black, North Carolina
Moussa Cisse, Oklahoma State
Jaylen Clark, UCLA
Zach Edey, Purdue
Andre Jackson Jr., UConn
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton
Caleb McConnell, Rutgers
Kevin McCullar Jr., Kansas
Shakeel Moore, Mississippi State
Marcus Sasser, Houston
Jamarion Sharp, Western Kentucky
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
Zakai Zeigler, Tennessee

In an award that historically overvalues statistics such as steals and blocks, Beekman's drop-off in steals per game average (from 2.1 last season to 1.4 currently) is most likely to blame for his exclusion from the watch list this time around. A great deal of that decline in steals production is due to the several-week period during which Beekman was playing with an injured hamstring. He had a stretch of five games in which he recorded only one steal.

With that said, Beekman still has a very convincing argument as the best on-ball defender in the ACC and one of the best lockdown defenders in all of college basketball. Beekman's elite defense, especially against some of the top guards in the country, just doesn't show up in the box score. Additionally, with Virginia's defense predicated upon forcing bad shots rather than forcing turnovers, steals are not generally a category in which UVA's defenders excel.

While many ACC folks would recognize Reece Beekman as a favorite to win ACC Defensive Player of the Year, it is alarming to see that North Carolina's Leaky Black made the watch list for Naismith Defensive Player of the Year rather than Beekman. Black is a terrific defender and deserving of being on the list, but certainly not any more than Reece Beekman.

When Reece Beekman was left off of last year's list, it marked the first time in four years that Virginia did not have a semifinalist for the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year, an award which has only been around since 2018. De'Andre Hunter (2019), Mamadi Diakite (2020), and Kihei Clark (2021) were named semifinalists for the award in the previous three seasons.

Reece Beekman lockdown defense

Beekman really flies under the radar because he's not supremely athletic or talented. But he has an incredibly high floor and all he does is basically all the winning small things, intangibles that don't show up in the boxscore. He's just a consummate floor general that controls the tempo of the game, is an underrated playmaker, and elite lockdown defender. Like all the players I've listed in my previous post, he's a no-frills blue-collar "get the job done" contributor that impacts winning. If we could somehow lock up any combination of two of the players I've listed in my top 5 list (previous post), opposing teams would have an incredibly difficult and frustrating time trying to run any offense whatsoever on us! :nod:

Return to Phoenix Suns