ImageImageImage

Game 16: New York Knicks (8-8) @ Phoenix Suns (9-6) | Sunday | 1:30 PM

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,936

Re: Game 16: New York Knicks (8-8) @ Phoenix Suns (9-6) | Sunday | 1:30 PM 

Post#81 » by sunsbg » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:02 pm

5 and 4 assists by Mikal and DA respectively.

Cam Payne looking like a worthy starter. Problem is those are just fast paced games that suit him best.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,382

Post#82 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:31 am

SkyBill40 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Between Sims and Robinson, they would probably average like 20 over the backs per game if they called it more often
That Sims kid would be a devastating weapon for us on the lob. He's huge and has a 40+ inch vertical leap.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Z4 Fold using Tapatalk

For sure! But depending upon what we might prioritize if we actually keep our draft picks for 23' ( absent of a superstar or even star acquisition), I have already scouted and have a list of at least 4-5 similar long, versatile 4/5 options that could be had easily enough in the 2nd round to undrafted range to add on a two way contract. Dominant young talents with over 40+ inch verticals and 7ft+ wingspans too! :wink:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#83 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:36 am

Payne is making a really interesting case to be the starting PG once CP is done. And I'd put odds at least 50/50 this will be Chris' last season.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#84 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:46 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Payne is making a really interesting case to be the starting PG once CP is done. And I'd put odds at least 50/50 this will be Chris' last season.

I always kinda assumed CP3 had a couple of years after this season being his last with the Suns (either we waive him out or trade him).

And I thought after his Suns career, he wouldn't be a high level starting PG but perhaps lower end starter or rotation guy helping another team however over this past year, it does feel like these injuries are starting to mount up and taking more and more from his game and availability. You might be right, this season might just be his last.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#85 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:03 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Payne is making a really interesting case to be the starting PG once CP is done. And I'd put odds at least 50/50 this will be Chris' last season.

50/50? I think it's more like 75/25, especially in a Suns uniform. They will have to pay him $15 million next year, to get rid of him, but that's better than $30 (though it may not matter for cap purposes since they are well over, but would likely add a lot of luxury tax). But then I guess I wouldn't be super surprised if he signed with the Lakers for the minimum or tax MLE. I wonder if the amount he would make elsewhere would reduce what we owe him for his non guaranteed amount, or if he just gets that as like a payment for being cut...though I think it's more of like a guaranteed salary for the season.

But I could see him playing with LeBron, but moreso because he could be at home near his family a lot more. Wouldn't surprise me if he retired totally though or went to a coaching staff. Get paid for coaching and still get your guaranteed money.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,098

Post#86 » by spanishninja » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:16 am

a couple of years we woudnt have any belief in this, even after his performance in the 2021 playoffs while CP3 was down. what a bargain he will be this next couple seasons though if he continues playing like this as a starter.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#87 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:11 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

I always kinda assumed CP3 had a couple of years after this season being his last with the Suns (either we waive him out or trade him).

And I thought after his Suns career, he wouldn't be a high level starting PG but perhaps lower end starter or rotation guy helping another team however over this past year, it does feel like these injuries are starting to mount up and taking more and more from his game and availability. You might be right, this season might just be his last.
Maybe he grinds out another yr or two and we'll see how the rest of this season shakes out. I just look at the cold reality that he's 37 and eventually your body just doesn't cooperate even if your head wants to play. No shame in that, he's already played at a high level at an age very very few ever reach in the NBA.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#88 » by cberry78 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:31 am

bwgood77 wrote:

50/50? I think it's more like 75/25, especially in a Suns uniform. They will have to pay him $15 million next year, to get rid of him, but that's better than $30 (though it may not matter for cap purposes since they are well over, but would likely add a lot of luxury tax). But then I guess I wouldn't be super surprised if he signed with the Lakers for the minimum or tax MLE. I wonder if the amount he would make elsewhere would reduce what we owe him for his non guaranteed amount, or if he just gets that as like a payment for being cut...though I think it's more of like a guaranteed salary for the season.

But I could see him playing with LeBron, but moreso because he could be at home near his family a lot more. Wouldn't surprise me if he retired totally though or went to a coaching staff. Get paid for coaching and still get your guaranteed money.
I would love to trade a SECOND aging all time great NBA PG to the Lakers.... any chance we can get 2 FRP + assets for CP3 to play with LeBron?

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#89 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:32 am

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I would love to trade a SECOND aging all time great NBA PG to the Lakers.... any chance we can get 2 FRP + assets for CP3 to play with LeBron?

Probably not unless we want to take back Westbrook.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#90 » by cberry78 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:33 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Boooooo! You're no fun.

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#91 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:40 am

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:I would love to trade a SECOND aging all time great NBA PG to the Lakers.... any chance we can get 2 FRP + assets for CP3 to play with LeBron?

Boooooo! You're no fun.

It is funny to think 4-5 years ago people would have been "We can get Westbrook??? Hell yeah!" Houston gave OKC a couple of firsts to get Westbrook for Paul.
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,929

Post#92 » by KLEON » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:48 am

That Washingston jr. kid really worries me when he's on the court. You can tell he's a bonafide chucker like Mike James :noway:
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,929

Post#93 » by KLEON » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:51 am

Really hope the Suns bring back D.Lee and Craig next season. D Lee has really surprised me
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#94 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:11 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Not gonna lie, if they threw in some future firsts for a Westbrook-CP3 swap, I might seriously consider it. WB has been lowkey solid off the bench for the LA. In 10 games off the bench so far he's shooting nearly 40% from 3 (on 4.3 attempts), still grabbing 5 rebounds while dropping 8.5 dimes a game. Yeah his turnovers stink and his 2pt shots haven't been good but aside from that, if we're talking about bringing WB off the bench AND get some Laker draft capital in return....yeah I might so do it.

The key difference in how he's used is that I think we have the bench shooting to support and enhance a Westbrook-centric style off the bench. The Lakers are dead last in 3PT% this season while we're 10th. We've needed a dynamic creator off the bench for a while now and while I would certainly prefer a guy like Oubre, Westbrook is low key interesting to me....and I never thought I'd ever say that.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#95 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:38 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:I would love to trade a SECOND aging all time great NBA PG to the Lakers.... any chance we can get 2 FRP + assets for CP3 to play with LeBron?

Not gonna lie, if they threw in some future firsts for a Westbrook-CP3 swap, I might seriously consider it. WB has been lowkey solid off the bench for the LA. In 10 games off the bench so far he's shooting nearly 40% from 3 (on 4.3 attempts), still grabbing 5 rebounds while dropping 8.5 dimes a game. Yeah his turnovers stink and his 2pt shots haven't been good but aside from that, if we're talking about bringing WB off the bench AND get some Laker draft capital in return....yeah I might so do it.

The key difference in how he's used is that I think we have the bench shooting to support and enhance a Westbrook-centric style off the bench. The Lakers are dead last in 3PT% this season while we're 10th. We've needed a dynamic creator off the bench for a while now and while I would certainly prefer a guy like Oubre, Westbrook is low key interesting to me....and I never thought I'd ever say that.

I actually mentioned earlier in the year that I had wondered the night before what it would be like with Westbrook on the team and we were just running. If he would simply just cut out most all of his 3pt shots, I think it might look good. He is a solid passer and a great rebounder and just a super athlete, which we lack. He can get to the line a lot..he used to be a great FT shooter but not so much anymore.

Paul has had such a big impact though and may still have some off the bench...but if Paul's impact has already basically been absorbed by the team, and Paul is going to be out a long time, it might be interesting.

But then again, it might kill things.

Off the bench he'd be great but with us as a starter, I am not sure. He was good on Washington with Beal though and when Beal was out. I read the Wizards board some then and they did not like at all getting him but grew to respect him a lot in his time there...just how much passion and heart he played with.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#96 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:53 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I actually mentioned earlier in the year that I had wondered the night before what it would be like with Westbrook on the team and we were just running. If he would simply just cut out most all of his 3pt shots, I think it might look good. He is a solid passer and a great rebounder and just a super athlete, which we lack. He can get to the line a lot..he used to be a great FT shooter but not so much anymore.

Paul has had such a big impact though and may still have some off the bench...but if Paul's impact has already basically been absorbed by the team, and Paul is going to be out a long time, it might be interesting.

Off the bench he'd be great but with us as a starter, I am not sure. He was good on Washington with Beal though and when Beal was out. I read the Wizards board some then and they did not like at all getting him but grew to respect him a lot in his time there...just how much passion and heart he played with.

I'm kinda looking at it from the perspective of almost fast tracking towards the post-CP3 world. Right now, I think we're playing relatively well. We've got a great net rating largely because we win games big but we lose some very close games. That tells me we have enough juice as a team to beat on most teams but we have some execution issues which I'm hoping we'll learn to overcome with more experience and more opportunities without CP3. So with that in mind and the starting line up doing decently well with Payne as the PG....why not make our bench even stronger while moving on from future CP3 salary ($15.8m just to get rid of him next season) and perhaps pick up some spicy LA pick/s.

Agree he'll be solid for us off the bench but should we need to start WB on some occasions (injury to Payne for example), I don't think he'd look nearly as bad as he does with the Lakers primarily because we have the shooters to support his style. We'd need him to cut down on those dumb pull up middy's which he's just horrible at but from the 3 he'd be decent and he's always been good at getting to the rim (finishing is another matter) and he'll have guys like Book, Bridges and even CamJo (and Craig I suppose) as elite shooters as an outlet for him. Also he's back up to 80% from the FT line for the season.

WB coming off the bench now and playing well kind of tells me he's slowly (hopefully surely) starting to embrace that reserve role in the same way Melo did.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,382

Post#97 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:47 am

I wouldn't really want Westbrook for anything beyond the massive expiring contract and inclusive assets that we could maybe flip! However, I am intrigued by the idea of him being a very nice complimentary piece alongside of Booker for a 1 season rental if Paul just can't sustain himself any further?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#98 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:01 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:I wouldn't really want Westbrook for anything beyond the massive expiring contract and inclusive assets that we could maybe flip! However, I am intrigued by the idea of him being a very nice complimentary piece alongside of Booker for a 1 season rental if Paul just can't sustain himself any further?

That's really the point. I don't have particularly high confidence we'd go deep in the playoffs without a CP3 injury. I'd rather a raging bull off the bench that could help you win games just by being WB than a guy who might not suit up at all. And again, I totally see him as a one year rental, there's no illusions that he's going to be part of the future (even as a back up 1). At this point, I'm crossing the fingers and toes that CP3 can just hold it together in the playoffs and even then I'm not sure anyone can be confident he'd make it to the end.

I'm interested in WB because I think he could be a productive guy for us in the playoffs and give us that much needed ZING which we just haven't had in some time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#99 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:30 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Not gonna lie, if they threw in some future firsts for a Westbrook-CP3 swap, I might seriously consider it. WB has been lowkey solid off the bench for the LA. In 10 games off the bench so far he's shooting nearly 40% from 3 (on 4.3 attempts), still grabbing 5 rebounds while dropping 8.5 dimes a game. Yeah his turnovers stink and his 2pt shots haven't been good but aside from that, if we're talking about bringing WB off the bench AND get some Laker draft capital in return....yeah I might so do it.

I'm kinda looking at it from the perspective of almost fast tracking towards the post-CP3 world. Right now, I think we're playing relatively well. We've got a great net rating largely because we win games big but we lose some very close games. That tells me we have enough juice as a team to beat on most teams but we have some execution issues which I'm hoping we'll learn to overcome with more experience and more opportunities without CP3. So with that in mind and the starting line up doing decently well with Payne as the PG....why not make our bench even stronger while moving on from future CP3 salary ($15.8m just to get rid of him next season) and perhaps pick up some spicy LA pick/s.

Agree he'll be solid for us off the bench but should we need to start WB on some occasions (injury to Payne for example), I don't think he'd look nearly as bad as he does with the Lakers primarily because we have the shooters to support his style. We'd need him to cut down on those dumb pull up middy's which he's just horrible at but from the 3 he'd be decent and he's always been good at getting to the rim (finishing is another matter) and he'll have guys like Book, Bridges and even CamJo (and Craig I suppose) as elite shooters as an outlet for him. Also he's back up to 80% from the FT line for the season.

WB coming off the bench now and playing well kind of tells me he's slowly (hopefully surely) starting to embrace that reserve role in the same way Melo did.

I didn't realize he got his FT% back. Would he be ok coming off the bench in Phx? I guess if he is in LA, maybe he should be. I don't know. It would be interesting.

I do feel his passion and heart might rub off on some guys. He is just not really a high iq player I don't think. Not sure they I never would watch the Lakers and didn't watch the Wizards.

I feel like they would never do it though unless Paul just simply decided he wanted to work with his LA doctors and wanted to be close to his family. I'd HATE to meet the Lakers somehow in the playoffs though if Paul came back and got them to the 7 or 8 seed and we nabbed the 1 or 2 seed. If somehow AD, Paul and LeBron were healthy they are not going down easy at all. Paul has never been on a losing team. I don't think he allows it.

Ultimately I don't think I'd do it unless Paul is just not coming back this year so will be out anyway and wants to be near home, but why would LA then? I guess they would because they'd get Paul's rights the next two years. Since Westbrook expires, they would have no avenue to get a guy like Paul if they didn't do it unless we cut him and he signs for the minimum, but this way he would get his money (LA wouldn't care and would pay) and he would be close to home. Really works out for him and the Lakers.

But I imagine if he is going to be healthy we want him....and the only reason we would do it is if he asks. If Westbrook didn't work we could buy him out but I don't really know why he wouldn't as long as he didn't take a ton of 3s. The Lakers just have zero shooters so he doesn't work at all...especially since LeBron wants to run point.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#100 » by Desertfox » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:57 am

I've been saying for a while that we should have looked to trade CP3 and start Payne after last season, but everyone was on the trade Payne for peanuts train...

Return to Phoenix Suns