ImageImageImage

NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 l Game 2: Phoenix Suns @ Denver Nuggets l Monday l 7:00pm l TNT l Nuggets lead series 1-0

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,390

NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 l Game 2: Phoenix Suns @ Denver Nuggets l Monday l 7:00pm l TNT l Nuggets lead series 1-0 

Post#1 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon May 1, 2023 1:50 am

Who: Phoenix Suns @ Denver Nuggets

When: Monday, May 1st @ 7:00pm (10:00ET) l TNT

Where: Ball Arena, Denver, CO

Phoenix Suns starting lineup:

C- DomiAyton
F- Durant
F- Craig
G- Booker
G- CP3

Reserves: Payne/Okogie/Biyombo/Shamet

Denver Nuggets starting lineup:

C- Jokic
F- Gordon
F- Porter
G- KCP
G- Murray

Reserves: Brown/Green/Braun/Purple
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 l Game 1: Phoenix Suns @ Denver Nuggets l Monday l 7:00pm l TNT l Nuggets lead series 1-0 

Post#2 » by RedIndian » Mon May 1, 2023 4:28 am

If we can't find a settled rotation and get our shot taking maths in order pronto, we should fold quickly from these playoffs and focus on the offseason.

Some of these issues are the natural repercussions of a big mid-season trade and the roster imbalance that creates, but frankly Monty has had about 25 games to sort these issues out.

There is no clarity on rotations in round 2 of the playoffs, and we're averaging an abysmal 23 three point attempts. That's absolute rock bottom out of all 16 playoff teams. The second worst are the Knicks with a whopping 29 attempts.

Literally everyone shoots more than 30 threes a game. We scraped through the Clips on the bank of our star power and the fact that the Clips had no stars by the end.

But you simply can't beat a 2-star or even a 1-star team when the math is stacked so badly against you. I genuinely believe that KD and Book may be the best star duo in the league. But they're completely hamstrung if every other team has a 10 3 point shots advantage every single game.

For the love of God Monty, find a settled rotation and let Payne and Lee / Ross play 15 minutes so that they can get up at least 8 threes between them.

As I see the math on 3PAs has to be:

KD - 5
Book - 7
Craig - 4
CP3 - 4
Okogie - 2
Payne - 4
Lee/Ross - 4

That gets us to 30 threes a game, and should be a basic blueprint.

If Monty continues playing Shamet, who's scared to take shots and gives no minutes to Payne, we aren't getting anywhere

The defense may suffer marginally on account of Lee /Ross and Payne, but you have to live with that. This 90s style offense is simply not meant to survive today.

Also, can we please see some KD-Book screening actions? It should be our most deadly play - but we've barely seen any of it.
PittsburghSuns
Junior
And1: 289

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 l Game 1: Phoenix Suns @ Denver Nuggets l Monday l 7:00pm l TNT l Nuggets lead series 1-0 

Post#4 » by PittsburghSuns » Mon May 1, 2023 12:14 pm

After watching game 1 I have little faith this team can even play competitively against Denver. Classic example of a good well rounded team playing vs a collection of stars that have no chemistry or depth. Maybe we can win a game in Phoenix as Denver isn’t a strong road team.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,153

Post#5 » by Revived » Mon May 1, 2023 2:59 pm

The fact that Monty still has no set bench rotation is troubling. This is issue that most coaches figure out in preseason yet we’re well into 2nd round of playoffs and he still has no idea who to play off the bench. The only constant is playing that steaming pile of s**t Landry Shamet.

At some point, James Jones or Ishbia needs to get involved with the coaching when it’s obvious they have a HC that’s clearly lost. Suns paid the absolute premium on a trade and can’t waste that because of a clueless HC. Play Ross, it’s why the hell they brought him here. Give Warren a try. Maybe even Bazley as Suns lack athleticism. He can shoot a little too.

And I do think we’ll see a better game of Ayton tonight. Hopefully it actually continues and doesn’t just disappear after one good game.

Read on Twitter
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,561

Post#6 » by Calvin Klein » Mon May 1, 2023 3:16 pm

I'm probably gonna stay away from the forum during the game but LFGGGGG once again.

grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#7 » by grumpysaddle » Mon May 1, 2023 3:59 pm

Game 1 drained all my excitement and expectations for this series. Gonna take a monumental effort tonight to get it back.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,390

Post#8 » by SunsRback4Good » Mon May 1, 2023 9:23 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:I'm probably gonna stay away from the forum during the game but LFGGGGG once again.

Me too! This forum is toxic nothing but gloom and doom whenever suns lose a game. I’m staying away and will be back once we defeat the Nuggets to even out the series. One game does not dictate the whole series you guys should know that by now. Denver gave the very best and suns hung in there until the 4th but now playtime is over and Suns will play better defense and hit more three. I expect a breakout game from Shamet he’s due to hit 2-3 3’s tonight. Ayton is a man of his word I suppose so we’ll see what type of numbers he will put up after his speech the other day.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#9 » by kennydorglas » Mon May 1, 2023 11:25 pm

3 things

1- SHOOT THE DAMN 3
2 - SHAMET DNP
3- CONTROLLED HUSTLE BC MILE HIGH AINT NICE FOR U.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#10 » by MrMiyagi » Mon May 1, 2023 11:56 pm

We get 3 days between this game and game 3. We'd better bring it.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,819

Post#11 » by sashaturiaf » Tue May 2, 2023 12:25 am

This is a must win tonight.

Key to the game - Monty has to change the guys coming off the bench. Play Jock, play Ross and TJ, play Ish even. Less Biyombo and no more Shamet.

If this doesn't change I don't care if we win or lose, since Montys stubbornness will cost us a title guaranteed
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Tue May 2, 2023 12:51 am

RedIndian wrote:If we can't find a settled rotation and get our shot taking maths in order pronto, we should fold quickly from these playoffs and focus on the offseason.

Some of these issues are the natural repercussions of a big mid-season trade and the roster imbalance that creates, but frankly Monty has had about 25 games to sort these issues out.

There is no clarity on rotations in round 2 of the playoffs, and we're averaging an abysmal 23 three point attempts. That's absolute rock bottom out of all 16 playoff teams. The second worst are the Knicks with a whopping 29 attempts.

Literally everyone shoots more than 30 threes a game. We scraped through the Clips on the bank of our star power and the fact that the Clips had no stars by the end.

But you simply can't beat a 2-star or even a 1-star team when the math is stacked so badly against you. I genuinely believe that KD and Book may be the best star duo in the league. But they're completely hamstrung if every other team has a 10 3 point shots advantage every single game.

For the love of God Monty, find a settled rotation and let Payne and Lee / Ross play 15 minutes so that they can get up at least 8 threes between them.

As I see the math on 3PAs has to be:

KD - 5
Book - 7
Craig - 4
CP3 - 4
Okogie - 2
Payne - 4
Lee/Ross - 4

That gets us to 30 threes a game, and should be a basic blueprint.

If Monty continues playing Shamet, who's scared to take shots and gives no minutes to Payne, we aren't getting anywhere

The defense may suffer marginally on account of Lee /Ross and Payne, but you have to live with that. This 90s style offense is simply not meant to survive today.

Also, can we please see some KD-Book screening actions? It should be our most deadly play - but we've barely seen any of it.

Yeah, we need to take WAY more 3s or we simply won't win unless the other team is simply really really cold or we are really really hot (probably need some of both). Yeah, the Clips team we beat in the last 3 games wouldn't have been a playoff team, so we went from that to the top seed. I am not sure why Book only took 1 3 pt shot. KD took 3 I believe. They only made 1 3 pt shot between them. That's crazy. Not gonna win playoff games like that.

Need to clean up turnovers and improve rebounding as well.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,806

Post#14 » by SkyBill40 » Tue May 2, 2023 2:09 am

You'd think that would have been an authoritative dunk finish to set the tone rather than a milquetoast drop in, but I guess I should be satisfied he went to the basket at all rather than settling for weak ass fadeaway jumpers like usual.

Sent from my [Samsung Z4 Fold] using RealGM mobile app
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,129

Post#15 » by spanishninja » Tue May 2, 2023 2:12 am

denver not as hot as they were in g1 so far. we need to take advantage.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#16 » by grumpysaddle » Tue May 2, 2023 2:12 am

Better effort so far. Need to make those 3s though. 0-5 to start isn't a good look, but at least they're taking them today.
kennydorglas

Post#17 » by kennydorglas » Tue May 2, 2023 2:13 am

at least we're actually taking 3's now
doesnt matter if they're not going in... you cant play against those guys without them
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
kennydorglas

Post#18 » by kennydorglas » Tue May 2, 2023 2:16 am

early run for biz
something happened with Dominayton?
Five foot Eighton

Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by SkyBill40 » Tue May 2, 2023 2:17 am

kennydorglas wrote:early run for biz
something happened with Dominayton?
Probably worn out from having to actually try.

SkyBill40
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by SkyBill40 » Tue May 2, 2023 2:19 am

Ice cold shooting on our part. We need to snap out of this funk and quickly before Denver does it first.

Return to Phoenix Suns