ImageImageImage

NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 l Game 3: (1) Denver Nuggets @ (4) Phoenix Suns l Friday l 7:00pm l ESPN l DEN Leads series 2-0

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If we lose to Denver who gets most of the blame?

CP3
5%
Shamet
7%
Monty
27%
Ishbia
7%
JJ
13%
Durant
3%
Ayton
15%
Our weak bench
10%
Jdiddy
7%
Saberestar
5%

Total votes: 98

irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 l Game 3: (1) Denver Nuggets @ (4) Phoenix Suns l Friday l 7:00pm l ESPN l DEN Leads series 2- 

Post#761 » by irish22022 » Sat May 6, 2023 5:01 pm

sunsbum wrote:Like others have said, at least shamet plays with effort. He’s actually not terrible as long as he’s not shooting.

There is literally zero reason to have a guard on the court who can't shoot. That defeats the purpose of spacing which is the name of the game.

I'd honestly rather have Saben Lee on the court if we're talking about guys who have high motor and can't shoot.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,484

Re: NBA PLAYOFFS: Round 2 l Game 3: (1) Denver Nuggets @ (4) Phoenix Suns l Friday l 7:00pm l ESPN l DEN Leads series 2- 

Post#762 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 6, 2023 5:06 pm

KdoubleDees23 wrote:Booker is averaging

36.9 ppg
6.9 apg
5.0 rpg

shooting 60% from fg
shooting 48.9% from 3 pt

That is amazing

Don’t forget 2.1 spg along with 1 blk which is half a block more than 7 foot Ayton. :roll:
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,484

Post#763 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 6, 2023 5:11 pm

irish22022 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:Like others have said, at least shamet plays with effort. He’s actually not terrible as long as he’s not shooting.

There is literally zero reason to have a guard on the court who can't shoot. That defeats the purpose of spacing which is the name of the game.

I'd honestly rather have Saben Lee on the court if we're talking about guys who have high motor and can't shoot.

Agreed! It’s just a shame Saben isn’t on our playoff roster because he does a little bit of everything on the court. Very smart high IQ player my dad enjoys watching him play.

As for Shamet he doesn’t hurt us when he shoots good like 2-4 with 5 points and plays spectacular defense on Murray. If Shamet can give us 5-6 points on decent shooting % next game that will definitely help.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Post#764 » by oddity » Sat May 6, 2023 5:18 pm

The main reason he's on the floor is his shooting! What a colossal failure of a stint for Shamet bro

We're really hoping for 6 points from this man. HOPING. WTF???
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#765 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat May 6, 2023 5:50 pm

oddity wrote:

The main reason he's on the floor is his shooting! What a colossal failure of a stint for Shamet bro

The only reason he’s on the floor is because he can handle the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maze
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

Post#766 » by Maze » Sat May 6, 2023 6:40 pm

Shamet & Ayton are the two most mentally weak players on the team.It's all mental with those dudes.We've seen flashes of what they could be, but I doubt it ever becomes consistent.I think even '21 playoff Ayton is overrated by Suns fans.It was the best he's ever played, but he was merely good.I thought he froze up & became shell-shocked vs Giannis in the Finals that year.I know people will say "But it's Giannis!" ..Ayton looked like a guy who conceded defeat.The guy is a negative in the "Competitive edge" category.He's like a toddler trapped in a 7ft body.Even when he talks all that "Dominayton" stuff, you can tell he doesn't even believe it.It's just something for the cameras.
POLI
Sophomore
And1: 93

Post#767 » by POLI » Sat May 6, 2023 6:43 pm

Indeed Ayton is not the kind of centre to play alongside Booker and KD.
If you are getting 60 a night by those two guys, then probably you need a centre who can protect the rim, set screens, fight for boards, be a defensive weapon, fight for balls. Landale has proven he is the best of the three to play with KD inside, although he is not the perfect fit.

One thing I am happy I was correct about was giving Ross and Warren more playing time. That was a must.

Then I would like to finish by saying how good Booker is. That scoring mentality where he believes he can score any time on anybody is superb.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,494

Post#768 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat May 6, 2023 7:24 pm

The blueprint for beating Denver and coming back and winning this series epically was laid out last night!

1- PLAY FAST! Push the pace and be a disruptive defensive running fastbreak team. Denver is superb in the halfcourt offensively, a even really good defensively too. But they just can't stop Booker and Durant or even Payne on the fastbreak without a true shotblocker or any ELITE defensive wings. This also benefits us in drawing fouls on them early.

2- PLAY STRONG AND AGGRESSIVE. The Nuggets are going to keep mugging us defensively and be ultra physical and whiny flippers too because they know they're going to continue getting the benefit of the refs lopsided calls in their favor. But you can't counter this type of play with passivity. We need to match their level of physicality in order to offset the refs biased AND to try and draw more fouls to keep the glaring Free throw gap closer.

3- DRIVE TO THE HOOP AND TEAM REBOUND AGGRESSIVELY! If we get fouls, then we get them. But we can't just roll over and not fight at all. We currently aren't good or deep enough to heat them in a shootout! We need to turn the tables against them and muck up the game right back BUT ALSO secure rebounds to not give them such easy offensive opportunities. We need to fustrate them and make them uncomfortable so they themselves make mistakes and don't ever get into a comfortable offensive rythym.

*** DON'T PLAY SHAMET!!!! And the moment that Ayton doesn't play aggressively and with purpose, PULL HIM! We still have Landale and Biyombo. Just tell them to play with physicality and aggression! Focus on rebounding and rim protection. Instead of Shamet, simply play more Ross and Okogie to being the ball up. Have D Lee and Warren flash to the corners to break any traps when necessary! But don't play Shamet at all! Ross and Warren will continue hearing up IF actually given playing time so they can find a rythym. Landry won't and doesn't have any positives to add!

No more asinine false rationalizations that his defense offsets his lack of anything else. His defense ( effort or not sucks) he's not stopping anyone! And Murray's huge games and impact in this series is a clear example of that. He simply causes more issues than he solves. Durant and Booker need to just continue playing ultra aggressive! Keep driving to the hoop, putting pressure on the rim and drawing fouls!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#769 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 6, 2023 7:38 pm

Jdiddy701 wrote:
oddity wrote:

Yeah, he handled, he didn't turn it over, and he hustles. I wish he would shoot more but he really sure doesn't end up with much for stat lines. It's not like he is shooting poorly, just not shooting. He has played almost 20mpg and is shooting 60% from the field and 50% from 3, but that is on 5 shots for the series and 2 3pt shots. So 1 3. Also 1 ast and 2 turnovers for the series.

But no one has gotten many shots outside of KD and Book. After our main 4 players no one scores 5ppg, except Warren who had 7 in 1 game.

No one is averaging more than 7 shots per game except Ayton at 9 shots per game, but only 4 in this last one.

I thought we had a chance of winning this series but if no one else steps up aside from Book and KD, I don't see it. Book won't shoot 80% again and we basically needed that to win. KD is bound to shoot better than the last two but he did get to the line a ton to kind of save him from his poor shooting.

Ayton has played like crap, or at least with little confidence and less energy, but luckily is still attracting defenders into the middle, sometimes 2 guys in there, one on him and one close nearby, even when he doesn't have the ball.

I won't be too surprised if he doesn't start though since they are not utilizing him on offense at all and Landale played with more energy last night.

Denver has too much firepower. 5 guys averaging double digit scoring.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,893

Post#770 » by TeamTragic » Sat May 6, 2023 7:47 pm

Maze wrote:Shamet & Ayton are the two most mentally weak players on the team.It's all mental with those dudes.We've seen flashes of what they could be, but I doubt it ever becomes consistent.I think even '21 playoff Ayton is overrated by Suns fans.It was the best he's ever played, but he was merely good.I thought he froze up & became shell-shocked vs Giannis in the Finals that year.I know people will say "But it's Giannis!" ..Ayton looked like a guy who conceded defeat.The guy is a negative in the "Competitive edge" category.He's like a toddler trapped in a 7ft body.Even when he talks all that "Dominayton" stuff, you can tell he doesn't even believe it.It's just something for the cameras.

Do you want know why he played really good in 21?

Because he was playing for that new contract.

We will never see that DA ever again.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#771 » by sunskerr » Sat May 6, 2023 7:52 pm

As probably the first person to post about Shamet's effort in the game last night:

I think when I pointed out Shamet's effort, some people ran with that, despite me including literally every single time I posted about it, I made sure to reiterate it was simply to contrast with Ayton's lack of effort (i.e. two horrible impacts in different ways), and that he was still awful for us.

Take a breath and make sure you read everything. Because there's no possible way anyone could have actually read what I said and garnered that it was Shamet apologia.
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,948

Post#772 » by KLEON » Sat May 6, 2023 7:56 pm

Saw the video with Ayton mitching about not playing in the 4th and he left CP hanging twice and also ignored Monty. I see a guy like Thomas Bryant being wasted on the Nuggets bench and all I can do is SMH
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,614

Post#773 » by schnakenpopanz » Sat May 6, 2023 8:14 pm

totally forgot about bryant. he would play a big orole for the suns. but with monty you'll never know
free steve nash!
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,696

Post#774 » by Qwigglez » Sat May 6, 2023 8:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jSaGPgod7zr7JpdCFO6lvw
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,379

Post#775 » by Puff » Sat May 6, 2023 8:57 pm

It is even more than effort.

These are Monty's choices at guard - (defensive ratings)

CP-3 112.3 (Not available)
C Payne 112.4 (Can't play 48 minutes)

Shamet - 119.4 (Can play the point and plays fast)
D. Lee - 119.6 (I Like but has done nothing in his opportunities and can't play point)
H Okogie - 120.3 (I like this guy but his numbers are close to Shamet's, (Monty needs more from both of these guys)

The last three are Monty's choices to replace Payne when he needs a rest. If Shamet gets hot and he starts making shots like he did prior to his injury during the regular season, I expect most will be happy with him.

The real key roll for these guys is to slow down Murray while keeping Booker off of him to keep him out of foul trouble. Shamet is not a bad choice when you look at it with a clear mind. I cannot stand the guy either but if JJ would have done his job and included Saben Lee on the playoff roster or obtained a better choice in the buy out market we would no have to watch Shamet play. Hopefully he is included in a trade this off season with Ayton, somewhere, anywhere.
      "Fire Jones and Vogel. Hire a GM that can trade one or more of the Big Three that will allow us to be watchable again" :crazy:
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#776 » by sunsbum » Sat May 6, 2023 9:11 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter
I'll take "things you have to say as a professional and a teammate for 5000 alex." We all know what the really think about DA as a basketball player, you can see it in everyone's body language.
Flex is now your father.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#777 » by kennydorglas » Sat May 6, 2023 9:48 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:The blueprint for beating Denver and coming back and winning this series epically was laid out last night!

1- PLAY FAST! Push the pace and be a disruptive defensive running fastbreak team. Denver is superb in the halfcourt offensively, a even really good defensively too. But they just can't stop Booker and Durant or even Payne on the fastbreak without a true shotblocker or any ELITE defensive wings. This also benefits us in drawing fouls on them early.

2- PLAY STRONG AND AGGRESSIVE. The Nuggets are going to keep mugging us defensively and be ultra physical and whiny flippers too because they know they're going to continue getting the benefit of the refs lopsided calls in their favor. But you can't counter this type of play with passivity. We need to match their level of physicality in order to offset the refs biased AND to try and draw more fouls to keep the glaring Free throw gap closer.

3- DRIVE TO THE HOOP AND TEAM REBOUND AGGRESSIVELY! If we get fouls, then we get them. But we can't just roll over and not fight at all. We currently aren't good or deep enough to heat them in a shootout! We need to turn the tables against them and muck up the game right back BUT ALSO secure rebounds to not give them such easy offensive opportunities. We need to fustrate them and make them uncomfortable so they themselves make mistakes and don't ever get into a comfortable offensive rythym.

*** DON'T PLAY SHAMET!!!! And the moment that Ayton doesn't play aggressively and with purpose, PULL HIM! We still have Landale and Biyombo. Just tell them to play with physicality and aggression! Focus on rebounding and rim protection. Instead of Shamet, simply play more Ross and Okogie to being the ball up. Have D Lee and Warren flash to the corners to break any traps when necessary! But don't play Shamet at all! Ross and Warren will continue hearing up IF actually given playing time so they can find a rythym. Landry won't and doesn't have any positives to add!

No more asinine false rationalizations that his defense offsets his lack of anything else. His defense ( effort or not sucks) he's not stopping anyone! And Murray's huge games and impact in this series is a clear example of that. He simply causes more issues than he solves. Durant and Booker need to just continue playing ultra aggressive! Keep driving to the hoop, putting pressure on the rim and drawing fouls!

In the moment Jock checked in, I saw him scrambling with joker to deny his position.
That's the right mentality to play in Phoenix.

Not sure how we're going to steal one game in Denver tho, altitude is proving to be too much for us.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,977

Post#778 » by garrick » Sat May 6, 2023 9:51 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:
oddity wrote:The main reason he's on the floor is his shooting! What a colossal failure of a stint for Shamet bro

Yeah, he handled, he didn't turn it over, and he hustles. I wish he would shoot more but he really sure doesn't end up with much for stat lines. It's not like he is shooting poorly, just not shooting. He has played almost 20mpg and is shooting 60% from the field and 50% from 3, but that is on 5 shots for the series and 2 3pt shots. So 1 3. Also 1 ast and 2 turnovers for the series.

But no one has gotten many shots outside of KD and Book. After our main 4 players no one scores 5ppg, except Warren who had 7 in 1 game.

No one is averaging more than 7 shots per game except Ayton at 9 shots per game, but only 4 in this last one.

I thought we had a chance of winning this series but if no one else steps up aside from Book and KD, I don't see it. Book won't shoot 80% again and we basically needed that to win. KD is bound to shoot better than the last two but he did get to the line a ton to kind of save him from his poor shooting.

Ayton has played like crap, or at least with little confidence and less energy, but luckily is still attracting defenders into the middle, sometimes 2 guys in there, one on him and one close nearby, even when he doesn't have the ball.

I won't be too surprised if he doesn't start though since they are not utilizing him on offense at all and Landale played with more energy last night.

As great as Booker was scoring he definitely did miss Ayton when he sealed off his man in the paint but decided to shoot instead. He made the shots which is great but you know he probably isn't going to shoot 80 percent again so he needs to get the team involved a lot more.

I'm sure the Suns are expecting Denver to play a lot better defense on him so hopefully the Suns can be prepared for that when they adjust in game 4.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,684

Post#779 » by Calvin Klein » Sat May 6, 2023 9:54 pm

sunsbum wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter
I'll take "things you have to say as a professional and a teammate for 5000 alex." We all know what the really think about DA as a basketball player, you can see it in everyone's body language.

he talked about all the things he does off the court, which i'm sure are great, but nothing about on the court stuff obviously. it is what it is
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#780 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat May 6, 2023 9:55 pm

garrick wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:The only reason he’s on the floor is because he can handle the ball.

As great as Booker was scoring he definitely did miss Ayton when he sealed off his man in the paint but decided to shoot instead. He made the shots which is great but you know he probably isn't going to shoot 80 percent again so he needs to get the team involved a lot more.

I'm sure the Suns are expecting Denver to play a lot better defense on him so hopefully the Suns can be prepared for that when they adjust in game 4.

Good, I’m happy he missed Ayton. I trust Booker forcing a shot on multiple defenders than passing to DA. We’ve seen time and time where DA has the easiest shot in the world and he misses and you’re pointing out that Book should give it up to DA? Nope!

Return to Phoenix Suns