ImageImageImage

2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoffs. Playoffs? Playoffs?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

What to do with DeAndre Ayton?

Keep him
31%
Trade him
69%

Total votes: 36

BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Re: 2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoffs. Playoffs? Playoffs? 

Post#1941 » by BobbieL » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:26 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:So happy for Monty. I met him a few times. He’s the type of person that looks you in your eye when he’s talking to you and truly cares what you have to say. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Detroit back in the playoffs in a few years. Cade is up next. I’ll definitely be paying a lot more attention to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monty seems like a genuinely good person. I think it’s an except for for him. Young team . He will change the culture of team. I wish him well
BobbieL
RealGM

Re: 2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 6 - The Playoffs. Playoffs? Playoffs? 

Post#1942 » by BobbieL » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:28 am

kennydorglas wrote:What if we're trying to convince Jay Wright?
/dream off

The ultimate dream

I just have to think there is better than Rivers Vogel or young out there.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#1943 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:38 am

Monty getting PAID

Good on him. He'll do well raising the floor of a young team looking for structure, culture and playing competitive basketball
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Post#1944 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 2:57 am

Frank Lee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Throw in the 32nd and 55th picks OR Jackson and Nembhard and you've got a deal. I'd even be willing to consider taking back Theiss for the picks to become 29th and 32nd. Then flip Paul to Houston for K Mart Jr/ 20th pick. Or to San Antonio for Mcdermott/ Collins/ Bassey/ 33rd or 43rd pick (IF the Spurs want to expedite Wemby's progression and possibly even get him a play-in team opportunity)??
Or maybe to Charlotte along with Shamet for Gordon/ Bouknight/ Thor/ 39th pick? :dontknow:

I think the question is "would you do the deal as is", not with a bunch of caveats, altering trade, adding a secondary trade.

So I guess your answer is no.

I doubt they want to trade Turner for Ayton though given they didn't last year and he improved.

your typical Ghost trade has more flips in it than a pancake breakfast.

Of all the VacAyton deals posted, I like Vuc and Caruso… but I was under the impression we couldn’t combine a Sign and traded dude with another player.

I’m a big fan of that cueballed menace. Add in another ball handling good d wing and I’d run Point book with the bunch. I think point Book is our back door solution to GrandPaul, but its imperative we add some more dribblers.

Funny thing is Vuc always had almost the exact same complaints from Magic fans...soft, no defense, etc. Even though he similarly had double digit rebounding and scoring in the mid/high teens. The thing is,the rest of their team sucked.

He finally made the all star game when he added the 3 and hit it at a good rate and averaged 21 and 12.

He does have a lot of quiet games but he is a decent 3 pt shooter and a fairly solid passer. II wouldn't mind that trade.

There are many I'd prefer, but I don't expect we get anyone like Robert Williams or Myles Turner in trade for him.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1945 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:04 am

Monty is a really good coach. Good for Detroit. He took a perennial lottery team to the finals in 1 year. I know a lot of that was Paul, but not all of it. The growth of Bridges and Ayton in years 2 and 3 were big, as well as Cam playing well early and getting better in year 2. Took a guy laughed out of the league, Payne, and made him a solid player. Took Book from one of worst defenders in NBA to solid defender. Led team to most ever wins in 55 years, with a young team. Just had a couple of bad playoff losses, one to a better Nuggets team, another to a better Bucks team, and the Mavs one with Paul who fell off a cliff.

The east has gotten way tougher but they have another high pick and should get a lot better over the next 3-4 years.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#1946 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:07 am

bwgood77 wrote:Monty is a really good coach. Good for Detroit. He took a perennial lottery team to the championship in 1 year. I know a lot of that was Paul, but not all of it. The growth of Bridges and Ayton in years 2 and 3 were big, as well as Cam playing well early and getting better in year 2. Took a guy laughed out of the league, Payne, and made him a solid player. Took Book from one of worst defenders in NBA to solid defender. Led team to most ever wins in 55 years, with a young team. Just had a couple of bad playoff losses, one to a better Nuggets team, another to a better Bucks team, and the Mavs one with Paul who fell off a cliff.

The east has gotten way tougher but they have another high pick and should get a lot better over the next 3-4 years.

Think you got a little ahead of yourself here. Would've been nice though

Agree with everything you've said
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,482

Post#1947 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:09 am

I still like Ayton/Shamet/Payne to the Hawks for Collins/Capela/ Atlanta 23' 2nd (46th pick).
keep Capela and then flip Collins for smaller depth pieces/ later draft assets. Maybe to one of:

1- Houston.
Collins for Kmart Jr / Garuba /Washington / 20th pick?

2- Charlotte.
Collins for Rozier/ 34th/41st picks.

3- San Antonio.
Collins for Mcdermott/Zach Collins/Bassey/ 33rd/44th picks.

4- Indiana.
Collins for McConnell/ Theis/ Jackson/ 29th and 32nd picks.

5- Utah.
Collins for Sexton/ Gay/Jones/ 16th and 28th picks.
OR
Clarkson/ Olynyk/16th and 28th picks.
EITHER Sexton or Clarkson would operate in a 6th man-scoring role for us. Sexton is just a slightly more expensive yet also more efficient scorer.

6- Brooklyn-
Collins for Dinwiddie/Sharpe/Sumner/ 21st and 22nd picks.
OR
Collins for Harris/ Mills/ 21st and 22nd picks.

7- Washington-
Collins for Kuzma (Kuzma informs Washington he won't extend with them and will only agree to resign with Phoenix).
OR
Collins (for depth) for Morris /Gafford /Kispert / 43rd pick.
Then flip Gafford/Kispert to one of:...........................

- Thunder. Gafford/Phoenix 2026 pick swap for Poku/ K Williams/ 12th pick.
OR
Gafford for Poku/ Jaylin Williams/ K Williams/ Wiggins/ 37th and 50th picks.

- Flakers. Gafford/Kispert for Vanderbilt/ Bamba/ 17th pick.

- Miami. Gafford for Oladipo/Jovic/ 18th pick. Or Oladipo/ Highsmith/ 18th pick.

- Golden State. Gafford for Kuminga/Divencenzo/ Baldwin Jr/ 19th pick.
OR
Gafford for G Payton 2nd/ Moody/19th pick.

- Houston. Gafford for K Mart Jr/ Garuba/Washington/ 20th pick.
Or maybe we keep Gafford and flip Capela to one of these teams instead?? :dontknow:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1948 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:14 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Monty is a really good coach. Good for Detroit. He took a perennial lottery team to the championship in 1 year. I know a lot of that was Paul, but not all of it. The growth of Bridges and Ayton in years 2 and 3 were big, as well as Cam playing well early and getting better in year 2. Took a guy laughed out of the league, Payne, and made him a solid player. Took Book from one of worst defenders in NBA to solid defender. Led team to most ever wins in 55 years, with a young team. Just had a couple of bad playoff losses, one to a better Nuggets team, another to a better Bucks team, and the Mavs one with Paul who fell off a cliff.

Think you got a little ahead of yourself here. Would've been nice though

Agree with everything you've said

Championship series.....finals.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1949 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:16 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Monty getting PAID

Good on him. He'll do well raising the floor of a young team looking for structure, and culture and playing competitive basketball

It can make a big difference when coaches are actually allowed to take the time to develop and grow alongside of their players instead of abruptly stopping the development system and jumping quickly into trying to contend by skipping key critical steps in the process. Which of course can leave you on a shaky and unprepared foundation. Good for him to get a better fitting situation for his current skillset and abilities. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1950 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:23 am

Read on Twitter

So basically Shamet for the 5th pick!!! :o :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
IF they want to keep Williams happy, They'll have to pay up for...........................

The Son in Law!!!
Lol! Seriously though, I'll take Hayes/ Hampton/31st pick for the "Sham" gladly.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1951 » by BobbieL » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:Monty is a really good coach. Good for Detroit. He took a perennial lottery team to the finals in 1 year. I know a lot of that was Paul, but not all of it. The growth of Bridges and Ayton in years 2 and 3 were big, as well as Cam playing well early and getting better in year 2. Took a guy laughed out of the league, Payne, and made him a solid player. Took Book from one of worst defenders in NBA to solid defender. Led team to most ever wins in 55 years, with a young team. Just had a couple of bad playoff losses, one to a better Nuggets team, another to a better Bucks team, and the Mavs one with Paul who fell off a cliff.

I just am not sure the Suns will have a better coach in this coming season than Monty. It seems a lateral move at best
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1952 » by BobbieL » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:29 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

So basically Shamet for the 5th pick!!! :o :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
IF they want to keep Williams happy, They'll have to pay up for...........................

The Son in Law!!!
Lol! Seriously though, I'll take Hayes/ Hampton/31st pick for the "Sham" gladly.

I would take Shamet and Suns 2nd for a player and Pistons second rounder
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,175

Post#1953 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:32 am

Wow. Monty Williams. Highest paid coach in NBA history...............................

In all seriousness, a young rebuilding team with no star players or expectations are just what he needs. They should trade for Shamet now to complete the cycle.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1954 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:39 am

Read on Twitter
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,175

Post#1955 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jun 1, 2023 3:45 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,819

Post#1956 » by Saberestar » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:01 am

Great for Monty. He is a very good HC and now the Pistons are a better team just with his addition.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1957 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:08 am

Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

In all seriousness though Shamet probably won't have to even look for houses in Detroit as he'll obviously be bunking up with His best bud and soon to be father in law:

# funnest night ever with son in law!!!
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#1958 » by kennydorglas » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:31 am

So any Detroit trades for Sheandre went downhill.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1959 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:42 am

Really this is one of those situations where everyone wins! Monty finds another team where he doesn't have to be successful in the postseason anytime soon. And he gets absurdly overpaid for it. And the Suns can move forward with a solid chance to make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs not having to constantly pan over to the sidelines just to see the "Montequin'" ( mannequin) just sit there like a constipated comatose mute just staring blankly and watching games slip away!

Also it's another win for us to finally be ending the Landry curse very soon! We can't trade Ayton for the 5th pick now, but in a way, dumping Shamet from the team is like winning the lottery!!! :nod:
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#1960 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:47 am

Any chance it’s actually Kevin Young or Doc Rivers that have the Suns waiting to accept a deal, knowing Monty is about to get highly paid to use as an example why they need more money from the Suns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Phoenix Suns