ImageImageImage

The Shaq trade was a mistake

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

carlos1223
Banned User
And1: 0

The Shaq trade was a mistake 

Post#1 » by carlos1223 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:13 am

I know all you Suns fans will say that 3 games is not enough to judge the trade but it is. How is it that the Mavs and the Lakers are winning while this team got soundly beaten twice and barely won the game against Boston. If it wasnt for Allen and Pierce having off shooting nights you guys would have been blown out. This trade has changed your system as a whole and you have no identity. Are you a running team? No. Are you a half court team? No. You guys keep saying you're saving you're energy for the playoffs but at this rate the Suns wont make the playoffs
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#2 » by TASTIC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:23 am

Cripes man, don't be a drama queen.

There's been 3 games with the new lineup, against the Lakers (on a big roll), the Celtics (healthy, who cares if they had a bad shooting night, SO DID WE), and the Pistons - a team who has won a championship together and have been together for years.

If we'd lost to crap teams and played more than 10 games together, then pass judgement, but until then, a thread like this is going to get you flamed and rightly so.

And the Mavs have had success? PLEASE, they lost to NOR, beat MEM and beat MIN - the last two won't sniff the playoffs and they still put up valiant efforts.

The Lakers acquisition of Gasol was highway robbery, and Gasol fits the role Bynum plays far more than Shaq fills Marions.

These things take time, we've gotten bigger for the playoffs and gotten rid of a guy who really wanted out anyway, I applaud Kerr for having the Kahunas to realise it's been 3-4 years together and nothing had changed. In retrospect, it was probably wiser to keep KT+Marion AND the two 1sts, but no point looking back on it and thinking 'damn'.

This is the team we've got to support and I'll support them till the death
nashill
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#3 » by nashill » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 am

suns are still experimenting, trying to find ways to integrate shaq. it will take time but im confident it will be more effective in the playoffs.
Mr. Sun
General Manager

Post#4 » by Mr. Sun » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:27 am

Would also been a mistake not to had traded for Shaq.
Black_Apollo2.0
Sophomore

Re: The Shaq trade was a mistake 

Post#5 » by Black_Apollo2.0 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:31 am

carlos1223 wrote:I know all you Suns fans will say that 3 games is not enough to judge the trade but it is. How is it that the Mavs and the Lakers are winning while this team got soundly beaten twice and barely won the game against Boston. If it wasnt for Allen and Pierce having off shooting nights you guys would have been blown out. This trade has changed your system as a whole and you have no identity. Are you a running team? No. Are you a half court team? No. You guys keep saying you're saving you're energy for the playoffs but at this rate the Suns wont make the playoffs

1. 3 games isn't enough to judge this team and making faulty comparisons to the trades other teams made is where you are making your mistake :wavefinger:

2. The Lakers traded some rookie that hardly got any time and Kwame "No Heart" Brown for essentially an All-Star. If they would've had to trade one of their better players (impact wise and talent wise) it would take them longer to adjust too. And the adjustment for a guard is completely different than the adjustment for a center.

3. If soundly beaten is losing by 6 to one of the better Western teams on the first game Shaq played in (without completely knowing the system or the tendencies of his teammates) and one blowout game with the same variables in play, then our definitions are off :nonono:

4. I don't think it has changed the team as a whole. The Suns are a fast break team, but now have the option of effective half-court play come playoff time.

5. And who is saying we are saving energy for the playoffs?

:roll:
eastsidecrossover
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#6 » by eastsidecrossover » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:47 am

This has to be the stupidest post I have seen. Go jump off a bridge! 6 points is no way a sound beating. How is 6 points like 30? Really, tell us.

shaq is old, and a different type of player. These things just do not work over night, it takes time. Gasol is an easy player in incorporate in the pot triangle too. JKidd is one of the best PG in the game and ever. Shaq is a different beast, you the suns will be fine.
ClosAZ
Junior

Post#7 » by ClosAZ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:13 am

None of us can really judge this trade until this years playoffs. The Suns are a completely different team with the addition of Shaq and subtraction of the Matrix. They need some time to gel. Yesterday's game our whole team and especially our older guys and Mrs Diaw didn't show up. I like Shaq's element of toughness that he's already given the team I'll say that.
ray ray
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Re: The Shaq trade was a mistake 

Post#8 » by ray ray » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:18 am

carlos1223 wrote:I know all you Suns fans will say that 3 games is not enough to judge the trade but it is. How is it that the Mavs and the Lakers are winning while this team got soundly beaten twice and barely won the game against Boston. If it wasnt for Allen and Pierce having off shooting nights you guys would have been blown out. This trade has changed your system as a whole and you have no identity. Are you a running team? No. Are you a half court team? No. You guys keep saying you're saving you're energy for the playoffs but at this rate the Suns wont make the playoffs

Juan Carlos, you need to take a chill pill and relax. It seems like your Lakers lost to the Hawks just right after you guys traded for Gasol, so please don't tell me that the Lakers were right after the trade.

Lets look at the teams you guys have been playing and reacking up your wins. The Lakers have wins over Sonics (15-40) , Clippers (19-34), Hawks(22-32), Timberwolves (11-43), Bobcats (19-34), Heat (9-44) , Nets (25-31), Wizards (27-29) and Raptors(31-24). Preatty easy schedule if you were to ask me the only two teams you beat with a respective records were the Magic (36-22)who you barely escaped with a win and to my Suns( 38-18) who by the way it took a great game by Kobe and a great game by Gasol to beat a Suns team who supposedly is a pretender.hmmm...

While my Suns have played 3 of the better teams in the NBA and we go 1-2 while trying to incoporate a 7-1 325lbs center who is replacing a 6-7 220lb high flyer. Seems to me and quite frankly, anybody with a mind to know that this is a work in progress. So before you start saying that the Shaq trade is a mistake, please look into all these points before you make your assumption. I trust Steve Kerr, Mike D'Antoni and the Suns brain trust before I would agree with a Laker fan named Juan Carlos.
carlos1223
Banned User

Post#9 » by carlos1223 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 am

Eastsidecrossover...I consider it a blowout based on the fact that you got Shaq for defense and rebounding and you're team is giving up 130 points AT HOME. The big fella cant even hit wide open layups. If the Suns lose to Memphis then I'll see you guys back here
Shzm13
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#10 » by Shzm13 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 am

Im with TASTIC.. Youre worse than i am dude.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#11 » by TASTIC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:36 am

Carlos - if the Suns had won say, the Lakers game 130-124, would you have said the defense was still a joke for giving up 124 at home? And 2-1 was not good enough and that we should have won all 3?

Shaq needs time to adjust and his fellow players will need the same time to adjust to their roles being made easier/changing.

The thing I love about Shaq is that he's like the big brother to everyone on the team; when DJ shot an airball the other night and then DA called a timeout, DJ went to the bench seemingly knowing he was going to be pulled and frowned at by DA - Shaq grabbed him round the neck and talked to him like a coach should, encouraging him and essentially telling him it was ok and to not sweat it so much...
THAT is something that has been lacking since KT left us, and even Scott Williams and Bo Outlaw did the same thing - can't put a price on good chemistry and veteran leadership
Shzm13
Banned User

Post#12 » by Shzm13 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:42 am

Tastic, im glad to have you as a mod. You kick ass.
Vernon Maxwell
Junior

Post#13 » by Vernon Maxwell » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 am

187_Inc
Junior

Post#14 » by 187_Inc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:50 am

Lets see here, the Lakers can just plug Gasol into the triangle and nothing changes. The Mavericks put Kidd in place of Devin Harris and let him play as a PG. The reason those teams were winning is a combination of that and the fact they've been playing garbage teams. The Suns have played 3 of the best teams in the NBA in a row, that's a tall order for a team that is going to have to adjust a lot whenever Shaq is on the floor. And don't forget we DID beat the Celtics, it's not like they don't have the best record in the league.
Shzm13
Banned User

Post#15 » by Shzm13 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:50 am

Im usually against backseat mod-ing, but ban this scrub
-SDU-
RealGM
And1: 30
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Post#16 » by -SDU- » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:15 am

stupid thread

lets judge a team that is trying to adjust meanwhile has to face lakers celts pistons and hornets in 4 of the first 5 games since the trade

i wont judge this deal till 15 games together and even then that means nothing

this is a playoff trade, not a regular season trade
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,380

Post#17 » by mkot » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:23 am

urgh...it took Hill...what about 10-12 games to figure out his role on the team, and Hill is generally considered to have a very high basketball IQ. Perhaps we should give Shaq, the team and the coaching staff more time to figure things out before we declare him a bust in Phoenix.

I hated the Shaq trade before it was made, but the trade was made and this is the team I'll support till the end. Although I wasn't completely sold on the trade, but it was pretty obvious to me that the pre-Shaq team was done. We still have time to get things right, let's give them more than 3 games.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
nanoclarkology
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by nanoclarkology » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:20 am

OP get more than a few posts and be a fan of the Suns and I might take you seriously. Now go away.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#19 » by LakersSquad » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:53 pm

187_Inc wrote:Lets see here, the Lakers can just plug Gasol into the triangle and nothing changes. The Mavericks put Kidd in place of Devin Harris and let him play as a PG. The reason those teams were winning is a combination of that and the fact they've been playing garbage teams. The Suns have played 3 of the best teams in the NBA in a row, that's a tall order for a team that is going to have to adjust a lot whenever Shaq is on the floor. And don't forget we DID beat the Celtics, it's not like they don't have the best record in the league.

The clippers beat the celtics also. The warriors beat the celtics also. I'm not here to dispute whether its a good trade or not, but I think that has to be said because people are bringing up who the lakers faced on their string of wins. Any good team can be beaten by non playoff teams. The celtics loss 3 in row so I'll be careful about how excited I get about that win. Yes I agree with the suns fans its early to exactly say how good the trade was for yall. And to whoever it was that says the lakers barely won we was up by like 9 pts with less than a min left. Some those was garbage points. But to Carlos give this team and the mavericks 5-10 games before you make a thread like this.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#20 » by Sun Scorched » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Shzm13 wrote:Tastic, im glad to have you as a mod. You kick ass.

Damn Straight.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.

Return to Phoenix Suns