Aug. 12th - USA vs. Angola
Aug. 14th - USA vs. Qualifier C
Aug. 16th - USA vs. Spain
Aug. 18th - USA vs. Qualifier B

Aug. 20th - Quarterfinals

Aug. 22nd - Semifinals

Aug. 24th - Finals

On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#2 » by The Main Event » Thu May 1, 2008 4:42 pm

That's a nicely well rounded team. However; were Tayshaun and Miller really the best options that this team had to go with? Obviously alot of stars don't want to play in the off-season for obvious reasons but gimme a break, this is the OLYMPICS!!!!
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley
scootfu602
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by scootfu602 » Thu May 1, 2008 4:47 pm

Will Melo be on the Olympic team after the DUI? I read a report saying he was well over he legal limit. I just wonder if Colangelo will take him off because of that.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#4 » by Sun Scorched » Thu May 1, 2008 5:28 pm

It is my understanding that in order to be on an Olympic roster, you must have played on that team during one of the qualifiers... which for us was the FIBA Americas that we took Gold in.

The team that I included in this thread was the team that played throughout the regional qualifier for us. I'm sure they could take Anthony off of the roster, but we can't necessarily add players.

The actual Senior Team USA roster is enormous, around 25 guys I think. Obviously we can't suit that many up. For example, Chris Paul is on Team USA, but he won't be playing for us in China.

Again, this is my understanding of the matter.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
NaplesSunsFan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by NaplesSunsFan » Thu May 1, 2008 6:08 pm

Damn. Amare is gonna be getting an assload of playing time.
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,275

Post#6 » by Biff » Thu May 1, 2008 6:18 pm

NaplesSunsFan wrote:Damn. Amare is gonna be getting an assload of playing time.

Not really. They've been going small and playing Melo at PF a lot. Amare will more than likely back up Dwight at C with Tyson Chandler getting spot minutes.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
LA Warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#7 » by LA Warrior » Thu May 1, 2008 7:13 pm

the front lines inexperience worries me. Amare+Melo= Lots of athletic ability, Low Basketball IQ, lots of defensive break downs....

Hopefully the opposing team doesn't run pick and rolls.
Greatest comment I've ever received.
Phil Jackson wrote:I've never really had a favorite poster but this guy might be it. The symbolism he uses is deep and ****.
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#8 » by b-ball forever » Thu May 1, 2008 7:50 pm

Eh, kinda early for an olympics thread, but since we're at it :

Kidd left the team in 2000, and team USA never won gold at the worlds or olympics ever since then. (The 2000 team kicked ass btw, that was easily the best basketball team I've ever seen playin under fiba rules)

Now that Kidd is back, gold will be in the bag for sure.
Dude's a monster in FIBA ball and has all the experience of having played lots in the pre-handcheck rules era. The hancheck rules are the main reason quickness isn't as important in FIBA b-ball as it is in the NBA

The 2006 team was too young and didn't have enuf shooters.

The 2004 team's problem was that they had AI at the point :crazy:
The last thing u want on a team filled with scorers is a shoot first PG runnin the show. Coach K got it figured right when he left Arenas off the team.
Too bad for Duncan he didn't have the right PG playin with him

This team's much better and more balanced then the other post-2000 teams.

Kobe >>>> Wade in FIBA ball since ur shooting guard HAS to be a good shooter (to break the zone defenses international teams always use)
He also learned how to play basketball under FIBA rules in the first place, since he grew up in Italy, and he doesn't hesitate to get physical on defense and take advantage of the FIBA rules (like he did vs Barbosa at the Americas tournament last year).

I hope Melo doesn't get cut. He's actually one of the best under FIBA rules since :
1) The 3 point line is closer and Melo's jumper is money from FIBA 3 point range
2) Unlike LBJ and Dwight (the good cute lil soulja boy fans), Melo doesn't hesitate to get physical and play hardball.

Outta the young guys on the post 2000 teams that aren't familiar with the no-handcheck rules in the NBA (LBJ, Paul, Bosh, Amare, Dwight, Melo), Melo's the only guy who really gets physical and takes advantage of the FIBA rules.

Dwight cud be a flat out monster with his freakish body if he parked under the rim and lost the "get outta paint in 3 seconds" reflex.
LBJ also needs to quit worrying bout his lily white image and smack the scrubs on their asses hard...

Anyways, Spain-Usa shud be an awesome matchup, easily the best outta the early games.
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#9 » by Sun Scorched » Thu May 1, 2008 9:03 pm

b-ball forever wrote:Eh, kinda early for an olympics thread, but since we're at it

We need something besides "Blame this person, trade that player" threads at this point.

We do look like the whiny fans that we take undeserved crap for.

I, for one, am looking forward to Amare being able to play some legit basketball this summer. I think Coach K will find a way to keep Amare away from stupid fouls... every Euro-Asian player flops. It will be a test for Amare, but I think it will help more than hurt.
On Steve Nash:

Return to Phoenix Suns