RIP Elias my fellow Canadian :(
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 6 

Post#44 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:51 am

It seems like Jose Aldo has been fighting in the UFC for 20 years, and he's only 36. Impressive to be as good as he was that early in his career, and still be as highly ranked and competitive as he is still today. Spectacular talent, special career.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#45 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:43 am

Thinking back on it, Aldo was on a similar career trajectory to Khabib until he got KO'd by Conor. Aldo was one of the most dominant champions, there was a fear factor around him with the amount of highlight KO's on his resume, he had an awesome combination of defensive wrestling and elite stand up (at the time) and it just seemed like he was going to keep destroying dudes.

Not at all saying Khabib would've eventually met his match like Aldo but Aldo definitely met his match not once but twice. Although he never fought Conor again, it was hard to believe Conor couldn't beat Aldo again and he was thoroughly beaten by a similar long opponent in Holloway.

He was one of my favourite fighters of all time and it was sad to see his post-Conor career but his highlights will live on
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#46 » by High 5 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:45 pm

Conor/Aldo was probably my biggest MMA letdown. All that waiting for one punch. I wanted Aldo to win, but mostly I just wanted to see them fight. Kind of interesting that they were a combined 44-3 going into that fight and a combined 9-10 after.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#47 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:34 pm

High 5 wrote:Conor/Aldo was probably my biggest MMA letdown. All that waiting for one punch. I wanted Aldo to win, but mostly I just wanted to see them fight. Kind of interesting that they were a combined 44-3 going into that fight and a combined 9-10 after.

100%. One of the most hyped up bouts in history, with all the back and forth during the "world tour" press events and two of the best strikers in MMA going head to head. I imagined it going a multitude of ways but I didn't anticipate it ending in 13s the way it did. I felt genuine sadness for Aldo after that KO and seeing footage backstage of him shedding tears.

And to your point, it's always sad to see relatively dominant fighters have one big time L and never looking the same again. On that topic, Max Holloway's career wasn't too dissimilar. Looked dominant after a couple of early career stumbled (against Conor no less) and looked like he would be a long reigning champ until I he met his match in Volkanovski but it's possible he lost something in the fight against Poirier at a higher weight. The guy went 20-3 until the Dustin fight and then went 3-4 since.

Talking about biggest MMA letdowns, I'd put Overeem vs Bigfoot up there too. There was so much spectacle and fanfare around one of the biggest HW talented in MMA finally coming to the UFC and he answered those doubters with a trucking of Brock (a lesser version of him but still) and I thought he was going to be a dominant HW champ because no one at the time at the combination of high level of striking, grappling and experience that he brought. The only thing he didn't have which has been his Achilles heel is that chin

In terms of MMA letdowns I'd have to go something like:

1. Aldo/Conor - the hype was unreal
2. Overeem/Bigfoot
3. Fedor's surprise L to Werdum then B2B KOs to Bigfoot and Hendo
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#48 » by Jasen777 » Thu Oct 6, 2022 9:03 pm

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#49 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:21 am

So glad one of my favourite fighters of all time got a W against Hari over the weekend in his first stint back into kickboxing in a decade plus
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Post#50 » by Shaazzam » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:26 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:So glad one of my favourite fighters of all time got a W against Hari over the weekend in his first stint back into kickboxing in a decade plus

damn, had no idea they were fighting, gonna have to check it out
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#51 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:14 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:So glad one of my favourite fighters of all time got a W against Hari over the weekend in his first stint back into kickboxing in a decade plus

Wot

He's so insufferable and arrogant.

Still, one a kind in terms of opponents. The guy will, soon, have fought prime Vovchechenyan and prime Verhoeven. Unbelievable to have spanned that time.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Post#52 » by Shaazzam » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:27 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:

Wot

Still, one a kind in terms of opponents. The guy will, soon, have fought prime Vovchechenyan and prime Verhoeven. Unbelievable to have spanned that time.

I just looked at his wiki page to see his list of opponents in MMA and Kickboxing. Completely insane.
He's a douche, but he's a bad man who has fought an incredibly long list of huge, bad men.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#53 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:04 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:

Wot

That's like the majority of fighters....Could probably count on two hands the number of fighters who are legitimately humble and confident without crossing over the thin line of arrogant.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#54 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:06 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:

Wot

I just looked at his wiki page to see his list of opponents in MMA and Kickboxing. Completely insane.
He's a douche, but he's a bad man who has fought an incredibly long list of huge, bad men.

That's how I see most fighters. Doesn't mean I don't have admiration of their achievements, skills and style
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:52 am

Someone should open an MMA org just for the really nice guys, and we can watch guys high 5 and congratulate each other after every strike landed. Could be fun.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#56 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:02 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Someone should open an MMA org just for the really nice guys, and we can watch guys high 5 and congratulate each other after every strike landed. Could be fun.

Ha.

But srsly watch Overeem interviews...he's so prickly and weird.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:37 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Someone should open an MMA org just for the really nice guys, and we can watch guys high 5 and congratulate each other after every strike landed. Could be fun.

Ha.

He is uncomfortably weird tbh lol.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#58 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:30 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:

Ha.

He seems to of changed a little now days and is a bit more humble.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#59 » by Susan » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:47 pm

RIP Rumble.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#60 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:58 pm