Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#281 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 7, 2018 12:47 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I actually like the narrative that came out of Saturday...Dana blasts Yamasaki for letting an uncompetitive fight go on, yet maybe the UFC deserves some blame for even booking that fight to begin with. A killer like Valentina who some people thought beat the champ of a higher weight class...vs somebody that none of us have ever heard of.

Yamasaki said he did things by the rules (except he was slow on the tap). And he might have been right. "Intelligently" (that is defending in such a way) seems very open to interpretation. There's no "mismatch" criteria for stopping a fight, or "the accumulated damage from this fight has done great harm to the fighter's future health" clause to stop the fight. I'd be open for a revisiting of the rules, but it might be something that is never going to be perfect (especially with corners never saving their fighter).

It was an uncompetitive fight, but Valentina is going to smash just about everyone in that division. I think they should have let her have the title shot right away (though I guess that doesn't really solve the isssue).

The Brasilian commission themselves came out against Yamasaki in an interesting way. https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/6/16977948/cabmma-issues-statement-on-controversial-belem-co-main-event

They said, a) the fight should have been stopped, b) they criticized Yamasaki for thinking he was letting Priscilla "be a warrior" (his words).

They said: "those are two attitudes that should not interfere or confuse the referee when it comes to stoppages."

It's a good point, I guess? But maybe not.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: RE: Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#282 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 7, 2018 1:07 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I actually like the narrative that came out of Saturday...Dana blasts Yamasaki for letting an uncompetitive fight go on, yet maybe the UFC deserves some blame for even booking that fight to begin with. A killer like Valentina who some people thought beat the champ of a higher weight class...vs somebody that none of us have ever heard of.

Yamasaki said he did things by the rules (except he was slow on the tap). And he might have been right. "Intelligently" (that is defending in such a way) seems very open to interpretation. There's no "mismatch" criteria for stopping a fight, or "the accumulated damage from this fight has done great harm to the fighter's future health" clause to stop the fight. I'd be open for a revisiting of the rules, but it might be something that is never going to be perfect (especially with corners never saving their fighter).

It was an uncompetitive fight, but Valentina is going to smash just about everyone in that division. I think they should have let her have the title shot right away (though I guess that doesn't really solve the isssue).
I think you know this, but to be clear I never advocated Yamasaki to stop the fight based on the fact it was a mismatch.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#283 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:50 pm

Also, I don't understand why Dana constantly goes to social media to say he doesn't want these guys reffing events. The UFC founded the freaking Brazilian commission, and Marc Ratner is the guy who selects the refs for all the international shows. If the UFC doesn't want to use these guys, stop giving them assignments.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#285 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:56 am

I'm rooting for Sage a little more now that he's at TAM and seems to actually be putting in the work and hopefully has some separation from his psycho dad. Not sure he won that one though.

Also decided to stop rooting against guys just because they occasionally train with Lloyd Irvin, so hoping James Vick does well here. I like Trinaldo as well be let's be real he isn't going to shake things up at 155 at this point.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#286 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:15 am

Every incentive to make weight is short term thinking. You lose money for that specific fight. Long term you should miss by as much as is reasonable to have your opponent still take the fight. All reports seem to say Romero is getting a title shot after missing, and I'm sitting here right now watching a promo where Josh Emmett is getting a headlining gig on big FOX after brutally KOing his opponent after missing weight badly. Think he gets a fox headlining gig without that finish? He'd probably be on fightpass if that fight we're contested on fair grounds without the "head start on rehydrating".
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#287 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 am

Hm so my plan was to bet Tibura. Logged on and was surprised to see him as a favorite so I held off. Decided to check again right now just before the fight and was surprised to see a lot of money came in on Lewis and Tibura now the underdog. Any reason why? Oh well hopefully no injury or other f*ckery going on that I'm unaware of because I just threw down on Tibura lol.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#288 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:25 am

REDDzone wrote:Every incentive to make weight is short term thinking. You lose money for that specific fight. Long term you should miss by as much as is reasonable to have your opponent still take the fight. All reports seem to say Romero is getting a title shot after missing, and I'm sitting here right now watching a promo where Josh Emmett is getting a headlining gig on big FOX after brutally KOing his opponent after missing weight badly. Think he gets a fox headlining gig without that finish? He'd probably be on fightpass if that fight we're contested on fair grounds without the "head start on rehydrating".

Was thinking the exact same thing watching that. Luke could've easily said no to the Romero fight, it was on short notice and he didn't come close to making weight. If Luke would've said no, who would've blamed him? Romero would've been in the dog house for ruining a card and Luke still would be fighting for the belt. But now Luke tumbles down the ratings and Romero gets a title shot.

Same goes for Emmett, the dude shot up the rankings because of a fight that his opponent could've easily just declined. Ya give me the small hit in the paycheck, if it means I get to avoid major dehydration and have a better chance to climb the latter.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#289 » by Jasen777 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:28 am

Duke4life831 wrote: If Luke would've said no, who would've blamed him?

Dana White and a good-sized portion of the UFC fanbase.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#290 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:35 am

Jasen777 wrote:

Yep. Go back and listen to Woodleys interviews after Kelvin missed weight for their fight. He said the UFC was pressuring him so hard to take the fight that he had to take a step back and remember that he wasn't the bad guy here, he wasn't the one who missed weight.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#291 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Every incentive to make weight is short term thinking. You lose money for that specific fight. Long term you should miss by as much as is reasonable to have your opponent still take the fight. All reports seem to say Romero is getting a title shot after missing, and I'm sitting here right now watching a promo where Josh Emmett is getting a headlining gig on big FOX after brutally KOing his opponent after missing weight badly. Think he gets a fox headlining gig without that finish? He'd probably be on fightpass if that fight we're contested on fair grounds without the "head start on rehydrating".

Was thinking the exact same thing watching that. Luke could've easily said no to the Romero fight, it was on short notice and he didn't come close to making weight. If Luke would've said no, who would've blamed him? Romero would've been in the dog house for ruining a card and Luke still would be fighting for the belt. But now Luke tumbles down the ratings and Romero gets a title shot.

Same goes for Emmett, the dude shot up the rankings because of a fight that his opponent could've easily just declined. Ya give me the small hit in the paycheck, if it means I get to avoid major dehydration and have a better chance to climb the latter.

I posted this elsewhere but I did the math at the time and Emmett ended up surrendering around $12k to Lamas for that. Lol. Small price to pay to headline a freaking big Fox card.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#292 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 am

REDDzone wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:

Yep. Go back and listen to Woodleys interviews after Kelvin missed weight for their fight. He said the UFC was pressuring him so hard to take the fight that he had to take a step back and remember that he wasn't the bad guy here, he wasn't the one who missed weight.

That's the thing that's wrong. The fact that the UFC would punish a guy more for turning down a fighter that misses weight (and doesn't come close) more than they would punish the guy for missing weight and putting the fight in jeopardy is totally wrong. And just strengthens the point of, it's much smarter to just miss weight and not dehydrate yourself to the extreme the day before the fight.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#293 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:42 am

REDDzone wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I posted this elsewhere but I did the math at the time and Emmett ended up surrendering around $12k to Lamas for that. Lol. Small price to pay to headline a freaking big Fox card.

Ya give me a one time fine of 12k if that means I get to jump up the rankings to #4 and get to headline a card.
REDDzone
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#294 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 am

REDDzone wrote:Hm so my plan was to bet Tibura. Logged on and was surprised to see him as a favorite so I held off. Decided to check again right now just before the fight and was surprised to see a lot of money came in on Lewis and Tibura now the underdog. Any reason why? Oh well hopefully no injury or other f*ckery going on that I'm unaware of because I just threw down on Tibura lol.
Welp.

Thought the stoppage was a little early live. You gotta factor in that Tibura is Russian or Polish or whatever the hell tough *ss country lol.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#295 » by Jasen777 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 am

Didn't know there was an event.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#296 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 am

Jasen777 wrote:Didn't know there was an event.

Haven't missed much. Except for Cowboy looking like old Cowboy getting a nice finish right now.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#297 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 am

Eh, I enjoyed it.

Did they pick out that commentator guy because he sounds just like Goldy. It threw me off a time or two for sure.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#298 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 am

REDDzone wrote:Eh, I enjoyed it.

Did they pick out that commentator guy because he sounds just like Goldy. It threw me off a time or two for sure.

Haha thought the same thing a few times. The last fight when the fighters were walking out to the octagon, there was a few times that I thought I was listening to Gold.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events thread 

Post#299 » by Bernman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm

I really enjoyed it as well. Bros came to fight. Not always super technical, but produced plenty of action and drama.

Why does Cerrone and his close friends agree to fight when it's not even a #1 contender? He's a weirdo. In any event, looks like Cerrone still has something left in the tank. Sharp, short strike, sticking in there on the counter, after Jimmy Smith dissed his power. Has Celiac so I guess he's not a beer drinking cowboy anymore.

You can't help but love Lewis. Guy has a big heart and picks his spots to stay in fights after going for early finishes. I think he'll eventually have a title run w/ right match-ups, but it might help if he finally learns to get his leg up to block mounts.

Vick is a sneaky contender since he started using his reach, w/ the circular movement, jab, straights, push kick, and step knee. He gets the unders quick too in order to stop td's and threatens with the front choke and guard. Most technical fight of night.

Millender was really impressive on the feet in LFA too, so that result didn't surprise me at all. Don't so much know how he is on the ground these days. But he circle jabs, counters your counter, sometimes with kicks, and doesn't need a reset. Next-level stuff.

Wish I had plunked a little money down, because I saw all those main card wins coming, and apparently they were dogs.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#300 » by Bernman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Volkov came back to KO Werdum after conceding the first two rounds. Just stayed consistent to the gameplan, weathered the storm on the ground, tired out Werdum and swelled up his eye, and finally put a combo of death on him. Probably one fight away from a title shot. Another brilliant cut by Bellator. I'd really love to finally see what Minakov (easy W v. Volkov) and Ivanov (lone L. to Volkov but another comeback) would do in the UFC. Just let Minakov go already especially. He's been punished long enough. And UFC can quit the charade w/ the PFL/WSOF. It already did its job. They beat Bellator or Bellator beat themselves.

Blachowicz v. Manuwa was an eventful fight and outcome as well. Blachowicz pulled the mini upset on the road after losing their first match at home. He's underrated. With better luck may have come in 5-3 or 6-2 instead of 4-4. And his strength of schedule has been no joke. Stayed at a safe distance from Manuwa swinging for the fences, used switch stances to get in and out, put the jab and sharp 1-2 combos on Manuwa, and occasionally counter-shot. But he did take an anvil to the head from Manuwa in the form of a kick across the temple. Don't know how he was standing after that. No wonder he's never been finished by strikes in his career.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts