Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#481 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jun 2, 2018 10:03 pm

Slo wrote:Wait why the **** was this so early?? I just came home and went to the UFC page for the obligatory lets see who missed weight this time and it bombards me with the results allready :( :banghead: Wasnt this in New York???

It was yesterday.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#482 » by Susan » Sun Jun 3, 2018 3:07 pm

Headliner wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Let's recap Darren Till and his ridiculous weight cut for a second:
*He has missed weight multiple times.
*He consistently brags about being a light heavyweight fighting welterweights.
*He temporarily lost vision due to this latest weight cut.
*He underwent "colonic hydrotherapy" in attempting to make weight vs Thompson.
*Despite the previous two points, he still missed by 5 lbs.
*It was very shaky whether he would be able to weigh in at 188 the next day for the fight to remain on.
*You read the previous point correctly, his team wasn't sure if he would be able to remain "only" 18 lbs above the ww limit.

I’ve seen that 188 several times and it’s thd first time my brain worked, and realized that’s not 3 pounds over but 18

Holy crap. For the life of me I kept thinking it was for 185.

That is criminal
Screw Till, the guy looked MASSIVE in there. He was a weight class bigger than WB

My teammate made 170 last week and fought on Friday. He took the weekend off and had some beers to celebrate his fight and he got up to 200lbs by Wednesday. He's normally 190-195lbs without dieting.

Thompson fought at 187lbs but that second weigh in happened a few hours before the fight. Till was probably 195+ in the cage.
Susan
RealGM

Post#483 » by Susan » Sun Jun 3, 2018 3:40 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Get rid of 125, that will force DJ up to 135. Then 135 would look super stacked up top with TJ, Cody, Cruz, DJ, Moraes and Assuncao. 145 with Max, Ortega, Frankie, Stephens and a guy like Zabit moving up those rankings, and then you got 155 which is ridiculously stacked. There would be so many freaking fights to be made between those 3 divisions. I just really hate seeing DJ chilling at 125 fighting guys no one has heard of, when hes just 1 weight class away from having plenty of money fights.

Couldn't disagree more. Benavidez and Cejudo are two of the highest level contenders in the sport today. It's like saying get rid of 170 throughout GSP's prime because he wrecked through Fitch, Condit, Diaz and Shields and wound up fighting Dan Hardy and rematches with Penn/Kos. Or saying get rid of 185 because Anderson embarrassed everybody.

The division has 3 elite fighters with Mighty Mouse being the highest level fighter on the planet.

135 has 5 elite fighters (TJ, Cody, Assuncao, Moraes and Cruz)
145 has 4 elite fighters (Max, Aldo, Frankie and Ortega)
155 has a ton
170 has a bunch
185 has 6 elite fighters
Then the divisions start to thin out ever worse than 125. I don't mind the idea of a money fight between DJ/TJ but don't freaking cut the entire division because he's nearly the GOAT right now.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#484 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:31 am

Moraes, man. You could see it back in the WSOF days...his skill-set even against real mediocre fighters was going to take him far. And he seems as hard-working and as keen as ever - has the right attitude, martial artist ideology, a kid on the way, and a title shot in the near future. He could hold the belt, realistically.

What a division this has become. Let's home Rivera jumps back in and keeps his own name in the mix.

Susan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Get rid of 125, that will force DJ up to 135. Then 135 would look super stacked up top with TJ, Cody, Cruz, DJ, Moraes and Assuncao. 145 with Max, Ortega, Frankie, Stephens and a guy like Zabit moving up those rankings, and then you got 155 which is ridiculously stacked. There would be so many freaking fights to be made between those 3 divisions. I just really hate seeing DJ chilling at 125 fighting guys no one has heard of, when hes just 1 weight class away from having plenty of money fights.

Couldn't disagree more. Benavidez and Cejudo are two of the highest level contenders in the sport today. It's like saying get rid of 170 throughout GSP's prime because he wrecked through Fitch, Condit, Diaz and Shields and wound up fighting Dan Hardy and rematches with Penn/Kos. Or saying get rid of 185 because Anderson embarrassed everybody.

The division has 3 elite fighters with Mighty Mouse being the highest level fighter on the planet.

135 has 5 elite fighters (TJ, Cody, Assuncao, Moraes and Cruz)
145 has 4 elite fighters (Max, Aldo, Frankie and Ortega)
155 has a ton
170 has a bunch
185 has 6 elite fighters
Then the divisions start to thin out ever worse than 125. I don't mind the idea of a money fight between DJ/TJ but don't freaking cut the entire division because he's nearly the GOAT right now.

Only contention I have with that is that Rivera should be on it. He's a beast. He caught a switch kick from another top fighter 30 seconds in to a ME. Big deal. He could still beat at least 3-4 of those fighters on a lot of nights.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#485 » by REDDzone » Mon Jun 4, 2018 1:18 pm

Bernman wrote:Moraes is a Pocket Hercules. Wasn't somebody down on him here after his debut? I even thought he won that fight, like TJ could have vs. Rapha as well, but he's just a fighter who usually shuts down your offense, and octagon jitters is a real thing. Look at loose Moraes against a not so cautious opponent. Is there for the fake into rapid switch kick upside the head. Have seen him land it a lot, it's devastating and tough to stop.

You are probably talking about me here. I don't remember trashing him or anything but I recall you and I having a back and forth about him after he lost to Assuncao.

- But yeah, Gillespie's a monster grappler. Move him up and find him somebody that can stifle his grappling and test his striking.

It'll be interesting to see who if anyone can stifle him though. We are talking about 4 time all American, and NCAA champion wrestler here. Also unlike many bjj guys who make the jump, he has shown power in his hands, scoring standing KOs (at least one, I haven't seen all his fights).

- RZ had to be pretty happy about Saunders' resurgence, but no he cannot beat any UFC ww w/ his wrestling d + athleticism

How f*cking dare you?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#486 » by Bernman » Mon Jun 4, 2018 7:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Bernman wrote:Moraes is a Pocket Hercules. Wasn't somebody down on him here after his debut? I even thought he won that fight, like TJ could have vs. Rapha as well, but he's just a fighter who usually shuts down your offense, and octagon jitters is a real thing. Look at loose Moraes against a not so cautious opponent. Is there for the fake into rapid switch kick upside the head. Have seen him land it a lot, it's devastating and tough to stop.

You are probably talking about me here. I don't remember trashing him or anything but I recall you and I having a back and forth about him after he lost to Assuncao.

- But yeah, Gillespie's a monster grappler. Move him up and find him somebody that can stifle his grappling and test his striking.

It'll be interesting to see who if anyone can stifle him though. We are talking about 4 time all American, and NCAA champion wrestler here. Also unlike many bjj guys who make the jump, he has shown power in his hands, scoring standing KOs (at least one, I haven't seen all his fights).

- RZ had to be pretty happy about Saunders' resurgence, but no he cannot beat any UFC ww w/ his wrestling d + athleticism

How f*cking dare you?

Saunders was the one who said he can beat any ww. He should just be happy he sticks in the UFC his 3rd attempt. Be an entertainer. He has a low peak the way he moves and the wrestling defense. Old school martial artist. Happy for him he got the win dough.

Gillespie will have to deal w/ Khabib and Lee near the top. And he really hasn't been tested much at all. That would be a good start. Fight Matrix still only has him at 40th after 5 UFC wins. David Teymur from the same card would be a good opponent. He's elusive and has good hips, sprawl, whizzer, etc.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#487 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:59 am

I am just getting around to about halfway of the GSP podcast on JRE, and it really highlights how out of place his personality is in a sport where people like Michael Bisping and Nick Diaz exist :lol:

Great listen so far, and I believe him about the debacle and handling of the 185 situation now. I think if the weight felt ok, he'd have probably stuck around and fought a contender for the title or whatever, and I didn't feel that way before.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#488 » by REDDzone » Tue Jun 5, 2018 1:03 pm

That's weird, I actually like GSP and consider him the GOAT. I still think there is zero percent chance that he ever would have fought Romero/Whitaker/Rockhold. Zero percent chance. What makes you think otherwise?

I mean even his whole narrative about only being willing to fight in order to do something that nobody has ever done before goes against the idea that he would have defended the MW belt.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#489 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 5, 2018 1:08 pm

REDDzone wrote:That's weird, I actually like GSP and consider him the GOAT. I still think there is zero percent chance that he ever would have fought Romero/Whitaker/Rockhold. Zero percent chance. What makes you think otherwise?

I mean even his whole narrative about only being willing to fight in order to do something that nobody has ever done before goes against the idea that he would have defended the MW belt.

Maybe, he just seemed way more open to staying there if he felt good about the weight than I initially thought.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#490 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:38 am

/slightly tongue in cheek: Stupid event in a dumb time zone held at a idiotic place.

Going to bed now 7:40 am Eastern.
(and now I have to try & remember not to go on google(swipe right on my phone) nor sportsnet nor TSN

& hope some **** doesn't post it in my fb feed either. Blah.
BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Post#491 » by BorkLazer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:31 pm

Tyson Pedro's inexperience just showed. Great job capitalizing by OSP, dude will never really be a legit title contender again, but he is the ultimate gatekeeper. Someone who is very inconsistent against top-5 fighters but can be counted on to show up against all others. Still, good win for him. Pedro should fight Gian Villante next.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#492 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Damn what's up with Cerrone? 1-4 in his last 5 fights.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#493 » by REDDzone » Sat Jul 7, 2018 5:26 am

Adesanya looks great!
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#494 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Jul 7, 2018 7:08 am

Totally forgot about this! Lolz!
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#495 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jul 7, 2018 10:59 pm

Laughing about the censor trying to figure out whrther Israel is dropping curse words into that post-fight speech. Did he not slide, "I f### with" in there?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#496 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Susan
RealGM

Post#497 » by Susan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/24077962/ufc-hoping-cris-cyborg-amanda-nunes-fight-dec-29

UFC 232 is threadworthy!
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#498 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Susan wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/24077962/ufc-hoping-cris-cyborg-amanda-nunes-fight-dec-29

UFC 232 is threadworthy!

Sure, in a month or two. You want to create a thread for the end of the year, go right ahead.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#499 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:42 am

Very good sleeper card, and some fun fights so far. I’m just really happy that Cat got the win, very emotional moment. Her head movement is still terrible but I’m glad she went back to grappling more. Cat vs Holly is probably the next fight to make, both are likeable fighters too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#500 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:53 am

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts