Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,665

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#921 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:I'm not through in yet, but two quick notes listening to Ariel's show this week.

They need to get the Usman/Colby fight done already. And both those two just need to sign to fight. Apparently the problem lies on BOTH sides, and also the problem with setting up Masvidal/Usman was Usman. I'm actually happy about that though...would want to see Masvidal fight Leon, Diaz, Colby all before Usman and in that order.

Also, I remember there as a lot of debate here and elsewhere about the Cain/Ngannou fight back when that happened. Ariel asked Cain about that fight and Cain confirmed Ngannou KOed him standing when he shot on him. He said he was out on his feet, then his knee gave out and the pain of that is what woke him up, then he was getting hit again. Then he went on some weird tirade about how Ngannou doesn't have control because he should never have even been throwing the punch that KTFO him because Cain was already too deep in the shot. lol.

I just listened to it, giving Cain the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was trying to say that was inefficient technique? Like Ngannou would create even more power if he went with the upper instead.

Or was he trying to say it was an illegal blow because it was behind his ear?

It did seem like a very weird comment though.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#922 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I just listened to it, giving Cain the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was trying to say that was inefficient technique? Like Ngannou would create even more power if he went with the upper instead.

I get what you're saying, but the problem is Ngannou isn't a normal human. Maybe random fat UFC HW #17 shouldn't be throwing that because Cain was already deep in the shot and the chance for damage is minimal, but Ngannou isn't fat UFC HW #17.

It reminds me of something Frank Mir said once (paraphrasing, may butcher the story). He rolls with jiu jitsu black belts, and he's obviously a big strong guy, so he taps them out. And sometimes they come back and tell him how his technique is all wrong and the way he does it doesn't work, etc. He just smiles and shrugs, slaps hands to roll again and taps them with it again. :lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#923 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I just listened to it, giving Cain the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was trying to say that was inefficient technique? Like Ngannou would create even more power if he went with the upper instead.

I get what you're saying, but the problem is Ngannou isn't a normal human. Maybe random fat UFC HW #17 shouldn't be throwing that because Cain was already deep in the shot and the chance for damage is minimal, but Ngannou isn't fat UFC HW #17.

It reminds me of something Frank Mir said once (paraphrasing, may butcher the story). He rolls with jiu jitsu black belts, and he's obviously a big strong guy, so he taps them out. And sometimes they come back and tell him how his technique is all wrong and the way he does it doesn't work, etc. He just smiles, injects 300cc of testostoandriostatinzione, shrugs, slaps hands to roll again and taps them with it again. :lol:

Fixed

Muscling over technique is less impressive when you have Secretariat's hormone profile. **** Frank Mir.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#924 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm

^^ Cool but you missed my point. Obviously Ngannou "should" have thrown that punch, since it worked.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#925 » by Susan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Glad to see he's getting this type of love in the media.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#926 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:15 pm

That 3 piece and a soda is missing a couple pieces
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#927 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Does anyone care about Conor anymore? Seriously. He tweets this vague cryptic BS after every event like he wants to fight, but then never signs to fight. And the MMA media (at least that I consume) just eats it up. This is a guy who hasn't won a fight since 2016, unless you count that geriatric that he sucker punched in the bar. I would literally rather he just retire at this point, so I don't have to hear debates about whether he should fight Poirier or Gaethje next.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#928 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:53 pm

REDDzone wrote:Does anyone care about Conor anymore? Seriously. He tweets this vague cryptic BS after every event like he wants to fight, but then never signs to fight. And the MMA media (at least that I consume) just eats it up. This is a guy who hasn't won a fight since 2016, unless you count that geriatric that he sucker punched in the bar. I would literally rather he just retire at this point, so I don't have to hear debates about whether he should fight Poirier or Gaethje next.

I think the vast majority of MMA fans are tired of him (this is coming from someone that used to be a fan) and don't care about him anymore. But he is still the most recognizable name for the casual audience and the MMA media are going to throw in as many Conor stories as they can to hopefully catch the eyes of casual fans.

I think now he just sounds like an old annoying ex girlfriend. He needs to just shut up, crank out a couple of fights in like a 6 month time span. If he does that and has the Conor of old performances, I think he MMA fans would actually care about him. But I think it's pretty telling that practically every MMA fan don't care to see him fight the big names anymore. No one wanted the Diaz trilogy, they all wanted Diaz/Jorge. No one wants to see Khabib rematch, they want Khabib/Tony.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#929 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:07 pm

^ Yep, I saw a meme recently where everyone had a dancing partner but Conor. Everyone says the obvious thing is Gaethje but even he is calling out Khabib/Tony winner. I think everyone except the casualest of casual has moved on from that delinquent.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,498

Post#930 » by Bernman » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:53 pm

REDDzone wrote:^ Yep, I saw a meme recently where everyone had a dancing partner but Conor. Everyone says the obvious thing is Gaethje but even he is calling out Khabib/Tony winner. I think everyone except the casualest of casual has moved on from that delinquent.

...onto another delinquent like Khabib or Tony.

And unfortunately the "casualest of the casuals" is who moves the needle from a ppv standpoint. Who else buys ppv's these days? Goes to a bar or stream it. They've already conditioned us to watch mma on the internet and we know it's a rip-off. They might as well just double the ESPN+ rate and then just put all the ppv quality events (when there are actually ones) on there. So Conor still has pull w/ the UFC who need stars w/ mainstream appeal.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#931 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Does anyone care about Conor anymore? Seriously. He tweets this vague cryptic BS after every event like he wants to fight, but then never signs to fight. And the MMA media (at least that I consume) just eats it up. This is a guy who hasn't won a fight since 2016, unless you count that geriatric that he sucker punched in the bar. I would literally rather he just retire at this point, so I don't have to hear debates about whether he should fight Poirier or Gaethje next.

I think the vast majority of MMA fans are tired of him (this is coming from someone that used to be a fan) and don't care about him anymore. But he is still the most recognizable name for the casual audience and the MMA media are going to throw in as many Conor stories as they can to hopefully catch the eyes of casual fans.

I think now he just sounds like an old annoying ex girlfriend. He needs to just shut up, crank out a couple of fights in like a 6 month time span. If he does that and has the Conor of old performances, I think he MMA fans would actually care about him. But I think it's pretty telling that practically every MMA fan don't care to see him fight the big names anymore. No one wanted the Diaz trilogy, they all wanted Diaz/Jorge. No one wants to see Khabib rematch, they want Khabib/Tony.

100% on board with this

The guy hasn't won an MMA fight in almost 3yrs and the MMA media are lapping up those "mysterious" tweets like water in a desert. The fact that he isn't consistently fighting yet between him and his manager "teasing" his return every couple of months just turns me off. Either you're fighting or you're not.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Susan
RealGM

Post#932 » by Susan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:21 am

Feed him to Justin.

I think he's going to have a moment where he reinvents himself because his fall from grace is pretty hard here but the sport is sprinting by him at this moment.
Susan
RealGM

Post#933 » by Susan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:23 am

Love seeing Jorge have his moment. He's truly killing it on every front right now.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#934 » by Headliner » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Anyone know what the buys were for the Khabib fight?
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#935 » by Jasen777 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:06 pm

Headliner wrote:Anyone know what the buys were for the Khabib fight?

I don't think we get estimates anymore.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#936 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:36 am

Honestly don't think the UFC cares all that much about it anymore. From seeing and reading a bunch of different reports, it sounds like the UFC with the ESPN deal has much more guaranteed money and less reliant on PPV buys. I mean when the only way you can buy the fights now is that you also have to subscribe to ESPN+ is beyond stupid and restrictive to the casual audience.

I know the fight did crazy good numbers in Russia and the Middle East though.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#937 » by Headliner » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:45 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

Honestly don't think the UFC cares all that much about it anymore. From seeing and reading a bunch of different reports, it sounds like the UFC with the ESPN deal has much more guaranteed money and less reliant on PPV buys. I mean when the only way you can buy the fights now is that you also have to subscribe to ESPN+ is beyond stupid and restrictive to the casual audience.

I know the fight did crazy good numbers in Russia and the Middle East though.

They still need to care, it’s relevant to fighter pay as guys are paid in balance with what they can bring in.

Those numbers in Russia and ME weren’t buyrates through they were just televised eyes, which is still great, but it will be awhile to see if they translate to regular viewers, will pay money to watch khabib or just watch when free
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#938 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:02 pm

So I see Yair has completely jumped ship and is bragging about landing 3 kicks against Stephens and how that could be some record, he's replying to a ton of peoples comments and calling out Stephens and calling for a rematch against Edgar. Some wires in that kids head are not right, after the fight was ended it looked like he wanted to kill people, then he almost went after Bisping in the middle of the Octagon. That dude is freaking crazy.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#939 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:43 am

Conor’s fight anyone anytime shtick only works when actually fights frequently. Now it’s just yawn worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#940 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Oct 2, 2019 2:23 pm

The nYC card is getting awesome. Gillespie vs Kevin Lee just added. Thompson vs Luqurme, Till vs Gastelum, Johnny Walker...

A couple fighters there desperate for wins. Lee cannot lose. Till cannot lose. And Thompson might consider hanging it up w loss, presumably?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts