UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy

Moderator: lilfishi22

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,760

Re: UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy 

Post#81 » by jc23 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 am

I just want to see see Tony vs Khabib, give me that fight please mma gods. Then we can look at what makes the most sense with Conor, my guess is whoever it is it will be a title fight.

Usman v Masvadal is my second most anticipated fight, its interesting that neither have campaigned for it. I think they both are looking to be in fights that generate more money and that means fighting someone who brings more attention ala Colby and Conor.
Be curious, Not judgmental
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#82 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:45 am

So what did Pettis break? You know there was an injury if he lost.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#83 » by Dupp » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 am

jc23 wrote:I just want to see see Tony vs Khabib, give me that fight please mma gods. Then we can look at what makes the most sense with Conor, my guess is whoever it is it will be a title fight.

Usman v Masvadal is my second most anticipated fight, its interesting that neither have campaigned for it. I think they both are looking to be in fights that generate more money and that means fighting someone who brings more attention ala Colby and Conor.

Dana flat out said in the press conference connor is fighting the winner of khabib Tony. I guess hes been saying it all along but yeah said it again. Also said jorge and usman fight makes the most sense so he seems to want that.

but yeah khabib tony fight is super exciting. Same with jones and izzy next year
Diamantidis
Sophomore
And1: 235

Post#84 » by Diamantidis » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 am

Susan wrote:Just an old washed guy getting thrown to a terrible matchup. This will do a good job of rebuilding Conor for fringe MMA fans but honestly what did we learn new about Conor tonight? What did Conor learn about himself? It was a showcase of what we've already known about him against a guy who's washed and abused.

He didnt need to learn something. My guess is , he just wanted an easy fight , an easy win, to boost his morale after his last 2 losses.
Plus it was another big payday for him.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#85 » by Headliner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:47 am

People can hate on Connor or call Cowboy old etc but that was incredibly impressive. Those shoulder shrugs were devastating, Shoulder shrugs!
Conor was precision as always.
I like that he didn’t commit to anyone, he should be trying to pick and chose his opportunities wisely.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Headliner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 am

Also I have to laugh at the people acting like a tuneup fight is a bad thing. He’s fighting someone that two fights ago, within the last year, was fighting for a title shot as well.
That’s still better than 25 of 28 Khabib opponents (not including Conor)
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,760

Post#87 » by jc23 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:11 pm

In boxing you always see fighters get tune up fights, especially after long layoffs. And Cowboy is no pushover, he still would beat 90% of division, its just that Conor is elite and has only had elite fights the last few years.

Personally i felt a tuneup fight was needed before he fought Khabib.
Be curious, Not judgmental
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: UFC 246 - Conor Vs Cowboy 

Post#88 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Shouldn't even have been sanctioned.

cowboyronnie wrote:Conor 1 rd KO
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#89 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm

jc23 wrote:In boxing you always see fighters get tune up fights, especially after long layoffs. And Cowboy is no pushover, he still would beat 90% of division, its just that Conor is elite and has only had elite fights the last few years.

Personally i felt a tuneup fight was needed before he fought Khabib.

Cowboy is a pushover, literally. He's as stiff as a reed in the wind. His body is mangled. This had no chance of being competitive.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#90 » by High 5 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:55 pm

Cowboy has been stopped 3 times in the last 7 months. If he's not going to retire then he should at least be forced to sit out for the next 6+ months.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,637

Post#91 » by NZB2323 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Headliner wrote:Also I have to laugh at the people acting like a tuneup fight is a bad thing. He’s fighting someone that two fights ago, within the last year, was fighting for a title shot as well.

Should winning a tuneup fight earn you a title shot?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#92 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Susan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Showtime not so much showtime anymore

Would be a shame if the Packers got blown out in embarrassing fashion tomorrow.

Lol you don't want to make this a WI vs. IL thing do you? Little brother complex in just about every sport, college or pro.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#93 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Anyway, ended up watching because some guys from my gym got together. The card was meh. That may just be the reality with Conor cards now, as I prefer deep cards over superstar main events and they aren't going to stack the deck for a Conor ppv.

I will say though, the bar we watched at was probably the most packed I've ever seen it tbh. There were people standing and watching because no seats left.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,462

Post#94 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Like it or not, this was a genius move by the UFC. The card didnt need to be stacked because they knew Conor and Cowboy alone would be enough to get a ton of eyeballs. Then Cowboy was the perfect guy to toss to Conor for his return. He is one of the most popular fighters around, you know he's going to want to stand and bang but its also clear his chin has been gone for a year now. So the most likely scenario is what happened last night, Conor returns with a ton of people watching and he looks like this unbeatable killer. This sets up a Conor vs Jorge fight (another massive fight that I actually think Conor wins).
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Headliner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:37 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
Headliner wrote:Also I have to laugh at the people acting like a tuneup fight is a bad thing. He’s fighting someone that two fights ago, within the last year, was fighting for a title shot as well.

Depends on the fighter and who’s in front of him, and to an extent the draw they are.

Not against Usman this wouldn’t, but at 155 it’s not a stretch, when after the Tony fight the other other viable option is Justin G, who only is on a 3 fight winning streak and his last win is cowboy as well.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,462

Post#96 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:56 pm

Headliner wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

Depends on the fighter and who’s in front of him, and to an extent the draw they are.

Not against Usman this wouldn’t, but at 155 it’s not a stretch, when after the Tony fight the other other viable option is Justin G, who only is on a 3 fight winning streak and his last win is cowboy as well.

If Im the UFC I think the smart thing to do is

Gaethje vs the winner of Khabib and Tony
Conor vs Jorge
Winner of Conor vs Jorge fight the winner of Khabib vs Gaethje and Tony fight the loser of Conor vs Jorge

I feel like doing this you get to keep the MMA community happy without just handing the title shot to Conor. While also still getting a massive general audience fight with Conor vs Jorge. Then the hype would be even higher for whoever wins that Conor vs Jorge fight to most likely fight Khabib. You would have Conor wrecking two big time fan favorites with Cowboy and Jorge plus the rematch angle with Khabib. Or if Jorge beats Conor, his star level would just go up another level beating Conor and everyone would want to see him against Khabib.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Headliner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:01 pm

I don’t think Jorge is dropping to 155 though.

Also Connor said he wants a quick turn around, I’m guessing he’s on call if one of Tony or Khabib don’t make it
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,869

Post#98 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Headliner wrote:Not against Usman this wouldn’t, but at 155 it’s not a stretch, when after the Tony fight the other other viable option is Justin G, who only is on a 3 fight winning streak and his last win is cowboy as well.

Conor has 1 UFC win at 155.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Headliner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:37 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Headliner wrote:Not against Usman this wouldn’t, but at 155 it’s not a stretch, when after the Tony fight the other other viable option is Justin G, who only is on a 3 fight winning streak and his last win is cowboy as well.

Conor has 1 UFC win at 155.

And it was the champ and arguably the most dominant championship fight ever, up with the likes of Serra vs GSP 2
It doesn’t really matter anymore, if guys weren’t jumping weight classes it’s different but you have guys fighting in multiple weight classes

He’s beat Aldo, Dustin, Max, Cowboy, Diaz, Alveraz Etc, all could be, have been or are 155ers. his resume is among the elite, and the PPV buys for the company would exceed 10 other PPVs combined. It’s not a stretch to give him the shot over Justin G who’s best win is Cowboy one fight ago lol

Conor’s fight record is among the elite of 170s and under, Justin G has Cowboy, Barboza and Johnson as his top three wins. That’s bad, he doesn’t deserve a title shot.
Diamantidis
Sophomore
And1: 235

Post#100 » by Diamantidis » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:44 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Like it or not, this was a genius move by the UFC. The card didnt need to be stacked because they knew Conor and Cowboy alone would be enough to get a ton of eyeballs. Then Cowboy was the perfect guy to toss to Conor for his return. He is one of the most popular fighters around, you know he's going to want to stand and bang but its also clear his chin has been gone for a year now. So the most likely scenario is what happened last night, Conor returns with a ton of people watching and he looks like this unbeatable killer. This sets up a Conor vs Jorge fight (another massive fight that I actually think Conor wins).

I agree with everything except from the bold part. I think Conor should return to lightweight, he is just not big enough for guys like Jorge and Usman. I dont think he could even beat Colby tbh. Cerrone was on the decline thats why it was such an easy win. (I really hope he retires after this fight, he got another big paycheck, wouldnt want to see him do more harm to his body).

Conor should fight Gaethje and then if he wins, the winner of Khabib - Tony.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts