Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: CPT

User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 29,121
And1: 3,824
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1341 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:22 pm

So, I haven't seen this guy's fights yet, but I read that he had taken like one single punch across both? Seems smart to me to parlay a training camp into three paychecks, as long as you aren't taking damage.

For an example of how NOT to do this, see Bisping jumping in and getting KTFO by Kelvin a few days after being sent to the nether realm by GSP.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,139
And1: 35,248
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1342 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:20 pm

REDDzone wrote:So, I haven't seen this guy's fights yet, but I read that he had taken like one single punch across both? Seems smart to me to parlay a training camp into three paychecks, as long as you aren't taking damage.

For an example of how NOT to do this, see Bisping jumping in and getting KTFO by Kelvin a few days after being sent to the nether realm by GSP.


In his 2 fights:
Landed 192 strikes
Has absorbed 2 strikes

Really curious what he can do against legit competition. So far his first two fights have been crazy to watch.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,622
And1: 2,491
Joined: Aug 07, 2010

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1343 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 pm

REDDzone wrote:So, I haven't seen this guy's fights yet, but I read that he had taken like one single punch across both? Seems smart to me to parlay a training camp into three paychecks, as long as you aren't taking damage.

For an example of how NOT to do this, see Bisping jumping in and getting KTFO by Kelvin a few days after being sent to the nether realm by GSP.


And he’s in talks to fight again on one of the next UFC cards in the coming weeks. That’s insane.

Bisping had no business fighting on such a quick turnaround vs Gastellum just 3 weeks after the GSP fight. He took a lot of damage, got choked out, and mentally it had to strip of him his confidence. I thought that was terrible idea from a physical and mental standpoint.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,622
And1: 2,491
Joined: Aug 07, 2010

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1344 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:23 pm

I’ve been rewatching some older Gustaffson fights and I was really impressed with both his takedowns and takedown defense. In the first Jones fight he landed two takedowns on Jones and stuffed like 8-9 attempts. In the Cormier fight he took Cormier down twice in one round, and then did well to get off his back to get back to his feet when DC was on top of him.

To be fair, Jones didn’t really train or take that first fight too seriously so he wasn’t as sharp as he could’ve been and DC had that big slam on him — but still, I’ll take nothing away from him; that’s two of the premier wrestling/grappling LHW’s.

I really hate to see Alex eating so many losses because at one point he was mixing it up with the greatest fighters in the world. Still want to see him get back to that level.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 103,843
And1: 54,800
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1345 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:17 pm

So khabib apparently tweeted October - Justin April- gsp... I guess that’s what started all this talk. I didn’t realise he had sent out that tweet though
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 103,843
And1: 54,800
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1346 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,048
And1: 1,700
Joined: Oct 31, 2001
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1347 » by Headliner » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:08 pm

What’s his story? Was he one of the guys involved in the brawl?
aggerrard
Senior
Posts: 685
And1: 343
Joined: Nov 30, 2019
Location: Denmark
   

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1348 » by aggerrard » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Headliner wrote:What’s his story? Was he one of the guys involved in the brawl?

Likely not. Living and training in Sweden.

Obvious attempt to claim some more fame.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 29,121
And1: 3,824
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1349 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:21 am

Wait, what's his beef? I assumed it was some nationalistic nonsense, but he's from Sweden via Chechnya?

Pleaseee don't tell me this guy has the Kadyrov thing going on? He seems like he'd be a fun guy to root for but I can't get on board with that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 103,843
And1: 54,800
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1350 » by Dupp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:18 am

REDDzone wrote:Wait, what's his beef? I assumed it was some nationalistic nonsense, but he's from Sweden via Chechnya?

Pleaseee don't tell me this guy has the Kadyrov thing going on? He seems like he'd be a fun guy to root for but I can't get on board with that.



A few things. First of all Connor called him a rat lip and then deleted the tweet which is what his first tweet was in retaliation too.

Is he Muslim ? Connor probably said a lot of stuff about religion with the khabib beef.

Also like the other dude said he’s getting his fame up. He’s pretty hot right now and the fastest way to get hotter is through Connor.
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 103,843
And1: 54,800
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1351 » by Dupp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:40 am

Yeah dudes chasing that fame


Read on Twitter
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,785
And1: 1,612
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Location: Toronto
   

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1352 » by spykelee » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:20 am

Connor tweeting in Tagalog that "he accepts" hinting at a matchup with Manny Pac. I'm so sick of this guy. Stfu and fight somebody in your sport or stay retired and go away.

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 29,121
And1: 3,824
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1353 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:11 am

spykelee wrote:Connor tweeting in Tagalog that "he accepts" hinting at a matchup with Manny Pac. I'm so sick of this guy. Stfu and fight somebody in your sport or stay retired and go away.

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app

Lol serious question, why even follow his dumb*ss? I see no redeeming qualities.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 29,121
And1: 3,824
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1354 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:18 am

REDDzone wrote:Buchecha is entering MMA. Honestly surprised by this one. There were rumors back when he was 24-25, but he's on the wrong end of 30 now and post a bad knee injury. IDK how this ends up going.

WITH THAT SAID, dude will be the most explosive athlete to ever cross over from BJJ to MMA. Yes, including prime Jacare. I'm not sure it's even close tbh.

Pretty sure he has 13 Mundials gold medals and 2 ADCC golds.


In case anyone is interested, Buchecha officially signed with OneFC. Sucks he also signed with Ali. ☹️

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 17,615
And1: 4,559
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1355 » by Susan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:53 am

REDDzone wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Buchecha is entering MMA. Honestly surprised by this one. There were rumors back when he was 24-25, but he's on the wrong end of 30 now and post a bad knee injury. IDK how this ends up going.

WITH THAT SAID, dude will be the most explosive athlete to ever cross over from BJJ to MMA. Yes, including prime Jacare. I'm not sure it's even close tbh.

Pretty sure he has 13 Mundials gold medals and 2 ADCC golds.


In case anyone is interested, Buchecha officially signed with OneFC. Sucks he also signed with Ali. ☹️



He's AKA no?

Jesus.
I made a drink company. www.wearebesteas.com - trying to push unsweetened drinks forward and make them accessible and affordable for everyone.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 29,121
And1: 3,824
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1356 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:03 am

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Buchecha is entering MMA. Honestly surprised by this one. There were rumors back when he was 24-25, but he's on the wrong end of 30 now and post a bad knee injury. IDK how this ends up going.

WITH THAT SAID, dude will be the most explosive athlete to ever cross over from BJJ to MMA. Yes, including prime Jacare. I'm not sure it's even close tbh.

Pretty sure he has 13 Mundials gold medals and 2 ADCC golds.


In case anyone is interested, Buchecha officially signed with OneFC. Sucks he also signed with Ali. ☹️



He's AKA no?

Jesus.


That's a good question. Idk. I'm pretty sure AKA affiliated with Leo Vieira from Checkmat after they were done with Dave Camarillo. Buchecha is Checkmat so he was training with those guys for sure. I'm not positive if that's his primary team or if he's just AKA secondarily kind of like Jon Jones is Gracie Barra secondarily after Jackson's.

Not 100% sure but it would obvs make sense. Especially with DC and Cain out the door.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 103,843
And1: 54,800
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1357 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:31 am

Whittaker’s fighting cannonier at ufc 254. Quick turnaround for rob and the winner almost certainly gonna face the winner of costa vs Izzy.
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 17,615
And1: 4,559
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1358 » by Susan » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:08 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
In case anyone is interested, Buchecha officially signed with OneFC. Sucks he also signed with Ali. ☹️



He's AKA no?

Jesus.


That's a good question. Idk. I'm pretty sure AKA affiliated with Leo Vieira from Checkmat after they were done with Dave Camarillo. Buchecha is Checkmat so he was training with those guys for sure. I'm not positive if that's his primary team or if he's just AKA secondarily kind of like Jon Jones is Gracie Barra secondarily after Jackson's.

Not 100% sure but it would obvs make sense. Especially with DC and Cain out the door.




Leo is one of the best minds in BJJ from what Comprido used to say about him. The level of grappling talent at AKA is absurd. Between DC/Leo/Buchecha/Khabib and his boys/Cain/Rockhold when he's there.

Buchecha is going to be a mauler. I'd pay money to see him roll with DC.
I made a drink company. www.wearebesteas.com - trying to push unsweetened drinks forward and make them accessible and affordable for everyone.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,139
And1: 35,248
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1359 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:34 pm

Dupp wrote:Whittaker’s fighting cannonier at ufc 254. Quick turnaround for rob and the winner almost certainly gonna face the winner of costa vs Izzy.

Great start to that 254 card. I'm curious if Rob was made aware he wasn't a lock for the next shot, or he just doesn't want to sit out that long, since he has had so many long waits in between fights over the last few years.

Either way, I think it's a very winnable fight for him. I'm hoping we see more wrestling from him. His offensive wrestling needs to become a legit threat if he wants any kind of chance to beat Izzy.
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 103,843
And1: 54,800
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: Billy Crystals lap
 

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1360 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 1, 2020 10:22 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Dupp wrote:Whittaker’s fighting cannonier at ufc 254. Quick turnaround for rob and the winner almost certainly gonna face the winner of costa vs Izzy.

Great start to that 254 card. I'm curious if Rob was made aware he wasn't a lock for the next shot, or he just doesn't want to sit out that long, since he has had so many long waits in between fights over the last few years.

Either way, I think it's a very winnable fight for him. I'm hoping we see more wrestling from him. His offensive wrestling needs to become a legit threat if he wants any kind of chance to beat Izzy.



I don’t think rob really cares that much. Said eventually have to fight everyone anyway. He knows the title shot will come.

Only thing is he actually said a couple days ago his next fight should be costa, Izzy or Hermansson. Assuming he just thought Hermansson was the next in line over cannonier. Either way it’s great the way things worked out because the timeline will fit perfectly to fight the winner of costa vs Izzy. Assuming it’s not an epic fight.


On a side note Hermansson said he wants to fight rob next and has no interest in fighting till. Makes sense but looks like he’s gonna be fighting till next if till can get healthy.
Neato wrote:I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for being a neato

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts