Boxing Thread 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,941

Boxing Thread 5 

Post#1 » by CPT » Thu May 12, 2022 11:50 pm

Old one was well over 100 pages, so here's a new one.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,157

Re: Boxing Thread 5 

Post#2 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:30 am

Real boxing fans want to see the best fight the best.

Fan Boys make excuses for their fighter taking soft fights.

There is no middle ground.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#3 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 13, 2022 11:58 am

Agreed.

So explain why the pound-for-pound BEST (and biggest draw, most powerful fighter) fighting someone who literally BESTed him is not the "best fighting the best". Why should boxing fans not want such fights? Namely, fights where the pound-for-pound fighter is fighting people who can beat them?

I'll wait.

You have no response. You're just a babbling contrarian.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:16 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Agreed.

So explain why the pound-for-pound BEST (and biggest draw, most powerful fighter) fighting someone who literally BESTed him is not the "best fighting the best". Why should boxing fans not want such fights? Namely, fights where the pound-for-pound fighter is fighting people who can beat them?

I'll wait.

Oh I have a response....first of all....have the courage to quote me in your responses. Enough with this just post and hope I don't notice nonsense.

Secondly, I don't have a problem with Canelo fighting Bivol next. So of course I don't have a response to "well why shouldn't Canelo fight the guy who just beat him". He absolutely should fight him next. My point, which you completely missed because you're too busy worrying about protecting Canelo's rep than making a good argument, was that Bivol only got the shot because he didn't look good in his previous two fights. And then I pointed out Canelo's history of taking on guys only after they look less threatening. Your response...Well Canelo is the A side he can do what he wants.

You're not a fan of the sport. You're a fan of Canelo.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#5 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 13, 2022 12:33 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Agreed.

I'll wait.

Oh I have a response....first of all....have the courage to quote me in your responses. Enough with this just post and hope I don't notice nonsense.

Secondly, I don't have a problem with Canelo fighting Bivol next. So of course I don't have a response to "well why shouldn't Canelo fight the guy who just beat him". He absolutely should fight him next. My point, which you completely missed because you're too busy worrying about protecting Canelo's rep than making a good argument, was that Bivol only got the shot because he didn't look good in his previous two fights. And then I pointed out Canelo's history of taking on guys only after they look less threatening. Your response...Well Canelo is the A side he can do what he wants.

You're not a fan of the sport. You're a fan of Canelo.

Firstly, that's speculation made by someone who is clearly butthurt about getting Canelo wrong (lol @ still whining about Liam Smith).

Second, I'm sure that Canelo and his team *do* consider whether fights are winnable or not. They didn't take on Beterbiev immediately. But so **** what? You want him to just destroy Mungia or Charlo instead? He finishes each in under 6. As long as he's taking on fights that *could go either way*, who isn't happy? Answer this. As a boxing fan, why don't you want literally the best fighting fights they could lose? Which was the case in this last weekend's fight? Why are you whining?

He moved to take on someone who could beat him. Why should he move on to take someone who has an even better chance of beating him (i.e. Beterbiev)? He has no obligation to take on suicide missions. Forget Beterbiev, why not take on Usyk or Fury? Is that being a boxing fan?
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#6 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 13, 2022 12:44 pm

Holy crap, I just realized you're a timelord. Or Augustine's God. That's why you're worried about policing Canelo's motivation 4 months ago rather than actually having enjoyed a great fight this weekend (where the best fought the best). And why you're still worried about a fight against Liam Smith 6 years ago. It's that you don't exist in sequential time, all events are imminent to you at all times. It's the only explanation for why you can't enjoy actual fights: you don't experience events at all, temporally speaking.

That, or you're a contrarian bitch.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:25 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Holy crap, I just realized you're a timelord. Or Augustine's God. That's why you're worried about policing Canelo's motivation 4 months ago rather than actually having enjoyed a great fight this weekend (where the best fought the best). And why you're still worried about a fight against Liam Smith 6 years ago. It's that you don't exist in sequential time, all events are imminent to you at all times. It's the only explanation for why you can't enjoy actual fights: you don't experience events at all, temporally speaking.

That, or you're a contrarian bitch.

cowboyronnie wrote:
Firstly, that's speculation made by someone who is clearly butthurt about getting Canelo wrong (lol @ still whining about Liam Smith).

Second, I'm sure that Canelo and his team *do* consider whether fights are winnable or not. They didn't take on Beterbiev immediately. But so **** what? You want him to just destroy Mungia or Charlo instead? He finishes each in under 6. As long as he's taking on fights that *could go either way*, who isn't happy? Answer this. As a boxing fan, why don't you want literally the best fighting fights they could lose? Which was the case in this last weekend's fight? Why are you whining?

He moved to take on someone who could beat him. Why should he move on to take someone who has an even better chance of beating him (i.e. Beterbiev)? He has no obligation to take on suicide missions. Forget Beterbiev, why not take on Usyk or Fury? Is that being a boxing fan?

People like you were trying to hype up Canelo as if he was some all time great based upon what he did in recent years which is your right. The problem here is that if you're going to hype someone up to the level of an all time great or even the current #1 p4p fighter then that fighter's record needs to be held up to a stricter scrutiny than just some random schlub. Errol Spence dares to be great. He almost died in a car wreck and rather than take some soft tune up fight he chose Danny Garcia....and he whipped his butt. He then suffered a career threatening problem with his eye. When he recovered he decided to unify belts with Yordenis Ugas rather than take a soft tune up fight. Manny Pacquio is a living legend. He didn't always come out on top but he fought a boatload of top guys across multiple weight classes that someone of his status had no reason to fight. He fought them anyway. Then you have Canelo with his extensive record of cherry picking opponents when they they are starting to slide backwards from their peak. His cherry picking bit him on the butt this weekend. It was funny as hell.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#8 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 15, 2022 10:31 pm

It ain't pretty, it's a lot of slappy arm punches thrown without his hips, but Charlo is #1 at 154 now. I don't know who he faces. The division is really pretty lame, considering the depth at 147 and 160/168. Maybe someone comes up from 147? Maybe Charlo goes to 160? He weighed in at 152. But his frame is absolutely massive, he had a ridiculous advantage on Castano.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:20 pm

Fights with Sebastian Fundora and Tim Tzyu would be fun.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#10 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 20, 2022 6:55 pm

Is Rolly the most delusional fighter around or does he have a chance? I think he believes every word of this. So much so that you start to believe him...but, then, you watch his fights and compare them to Tank's...and, I mean, he seems wildly out of his depth.

I've seen all the sparring footage of him and Garcia and Teo. Clearly, the dude can show up and bring it. Some significant part of that is his attitude and mentality. But Tank is supremely talented and to actually provoke Tank into putting in a serious training camp (which I suspect is not always the case) can only further lessen his chances. It's just wild there's not an iota of self-doubt in the guy.

Also, given that his best performances are in sparring, you always have to question the other fighter's mental and physical state. Had Garcia run 10 miles that morning? Was he jetlagged? Was it in Rolly's gym and Garcia had had to travel across town?
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Knickfan1982 » Wed May 25, 2022 3:56 pm

Surprise surprise. Canelo chooses not to take the immediate rematch against Bivol.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:44 pm

I mean...its a smart move. I think he should take a step back to try and work on some stuff with a much less threatening opponent. I think Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder should have done the same thing after their losses to Usyk and Fury respectively. But still...you have to admire the courage and self belief to be willing to jump right back in there with the guys who dominated you.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#13 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 27, 2022 1:15 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:I mean...its a smart move. I think he should take a step back to try and work on some stuff with a much less threatening opponent. I think Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder should have done the same thing after their losses to Usyk and Fury respectively. But still...you have to admire the courage and self belief to be willing to jump right back in there with the guys who dominated you.

My man very concerned about Canelo's courage. Meanwhile, rgm mods tell me, he reports my every reply to his posts cos they too aggressive and hurt his feelings. Lol.

Report this one too.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Knickfan1982 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:55 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:I mean...its a smart move. I think he should take a step back to try and work on some stuff with a much less threatening opponent. I think Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder should have done the same thing after their losses to Usyk and Fury respectively. But still...you have to admire the courage and self belief to be willing to jump right back in there with the guys who dominated you.

My man very concerned about Canelo's courage. Meanwhile, rgm mods tell me, he reports my every reply to his posts cos they too aggressive and hurt his feelings. Lol.

Report this one too.

I only report your posts when you violate the TOS because you're so frustrated that you cannot win the debate. Take your education like an adult and you won't get reported.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#15 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm

Real hall monitor vibes.

Guy has a plaque above his computer: Courage, Reason, the Terms of Service.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Knickfan1982 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:22 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Real hall monitor vibes.

Guy has a plaque above his computer: Courage, Reason, the Terms of Service.

If you cannot handle someone else knowing more about the sport than you do then just learn more about the sport. Act like a grown up.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#17 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 29, 2022 11:57 am

What's with the count in that Rolly-Davis fight?? The ref pushed Davis to the corner, then immediately start at 5.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#18 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jun 4, 2022 8:22 pm

Could go either way tonight. So much respect to Haney for doing this. They're both mentally very tough...I've liked how GK has been talking in the lead-up, seems super confident, super ready for the moment. And that he came into NY and took the belt from Teo is enough alone to make him a Jedi.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#19 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jun 5, 2022 12:34 am

Watching Kambosos highlights...dman, dude had better keep that right hand up. Haney has some effective 2-3/3-2s. GK will get KOd with those left hooks.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#20 » by Dupp » Sun Jun 5, 2022 12:40 pm

That as a product was horrid. The pacing for the fights was so bad. Buffer was even worse. His intros sucked the energy out of the crowd. Was like he found out he was dying today.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts