Moderator: lilfishi22

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: The Official Conor McGregor Thread 

Post#221 » by Headliner » Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 pm

I'd wager he's right.
He's set for life after that. He might come back for one fight to go out on a win, but he isn't fighting long, and he's only going to be willing to fight a small number of people.

I think I'd be most curious to see how many new viewers he could bring with him from the boxing viewership though.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#222 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 10:17 pm

Are McGregor and Money every going to officially fight. The hype has been unreal.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,030

Post#223 » by CPT » Wed Jun 7, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm probably just being impatient (I think he was always going to be taking some time off), but this guy is dead to me.

Tired of seeing his **** swag posts on Instagram. Just **** fight someone already.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,465

Post#224 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jun 7, 2017 1:28 pm

didn't he just have a kid? let him enjoy the sleepless nights lol
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#225 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 7, 2017 3:25 pm

To be fair, on an average basis he is probably one of the most active champs. He hasn't fought in like 7 months but before that he was fighting pretty regularly.

That said, with Canelo/GGG confirmed for 9/16, when will this fight even happen? With UFC returning to MSG (and GSP likely to return on that card) in November, when would they even have this?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,986

Post#226 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 3:48 pm

REDDzone wrote:That said, with Canelo/GGG confirmed for 9/16, when will this fight even happen? With UFC returning to MSG (and GSP likely to return on that card) in November, when would they even have this?

Whenever Mayweather wants it.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#227 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 3:50 pm

CPT wrote:I'm probably just being impatient (I think he was always going to be taking some time off), but this guy is dead to me.

Tired of seeing his **** swag posts on Instagram. Just **** fight someone already.

If he lands this fight, it'll probably be more money than any MMA fighter has made from fights in their whole career combined. Hard to blame him for waiting for Mayweather.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by CPT » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:12 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
CPT wrote:I'm probably just being impatient (I think he was always going to be taking some time off), but this guy is dead to me.

If he lands this fight, it'll probably be more money than any MMA fighter has made from fights in their whole career combined. Hard to blame him for waiting for Mayweather.

Fair enough, but as far as MMA goes, he doesn't even count right now as far as I'm concerned.

He wants to go get embarrassed in a boxing ring, cool bro, go for it. I don't have to like it or him.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by CPT » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:16 pm

REDDzone wrote:To be fair, on an average basis he is probably one of the most active champs. He hasn't fought in like 7 months but before that he was fighting pretty regularly.

That said, with Canelo/GGG confirmed for 9/16, when will this fight even happen? With UFC returning to MSG (and GSP likely to return on that card) in November, when would they even have this?

Not to be a well actually guy, but well, actually, he's like the least active champion ever. Has never defended a title and doesn't appear to have any plans to.

Kind of kidding, but not really.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#230 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 7, 2017 5:13 pm

Yea, true.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#231 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:31 pm

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/19635934/nevada-state-athletic-commission-approves-request-mayweather-promotions-boxing-event-aug-26

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has approved a request submitted by Mayweather Promotions to host a boxing event on Aug. 26 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

NSAC chairman Anthony Marnell told ESPN the commission approved the request as an item on its consent agenda on Wednesday.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#232 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:07 pm

It would be awesome if this ends up happening before the original September date, my fear was it was going to be pushed back until after.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,765

The Official Conor McGregor Thread 

Post#233 » by spykelee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 pm

I hate this whole thing... mayweather gets 50-0... an iconic number by beating a guy who isn't even a boxer

Mcgregor gets a huge payout to get embarrassed. Will we even see him in MMA after this?

Just a ridiculous sideshow but all that said, I'll be watching and I guess that's the point

If Connor even has a decent showing though, he wins... We all know mayweather wouldn't stand a chance in hell in crossing into MMA. If Connor is respectable, he comes out on top
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,186

Post#234 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:39 pm

spykelee wrote:I hate this whole thing... mayweather gets 50-0... an iconic number by beating a guy who isn't even a boxer

Mcgregor gets a huge payout to get embarrassed. Will we even see him in MMA after this?

Just a ridiculous sideshow but all that said, I'll be watching and I guess that's the point

If Connor even has a decent showing though, he wins... We all know mayweather wouldn't stand a chance in hell in crossing into MMA. If Connor is respectable, he comes out on top

Yup this is a huge win for Conor. Worst case scenario he gets knocked out, but then he can just say well he lost to an all time great boxer boxing. If Conor goes all 12 rounds, its automatically a win for Conor and UFC. Hell just imagine what happens if he catches Floyd (not going to happen I know).

This is a huge risk for Floyd and not much reward (except for the truck loads of money hes going to get). He beats Conor then youre going to have people putting a huge asterisk next to 50-0 because the 50th win wasnt even against a boxer. And if he loses, massive embarrassment for him.

Im with you, its a definite side show but I aint gong to lie, they got my $50 bucks or some sports bar has my $50+ for food and beer.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#235 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Im with you, its a definite side show but I aint gong to lie, they got my $50 bucks

Only if you're splitting it.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,906

Post#236 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:56 pm

I disagree with the notion that Conor has nothing to lose in this fight. Yes, he's lost fights, he's even tapped out. But here, the most likely outcome is that he gets utterly embarrassed. Losing a baseball game 5-3 is very different than losing 22-0 and that's what's probably going to happen here. Losing is one thing, being made to look like an amateur (which in this context is what he is) is another.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,828

Post#237 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 pm

This is Conor cashing out. He has always said, "Get in. Get rich. Get out"

If he loses who cares? he is expected to lose. Win-win for Conor. Because if he somehow knocks Floyd out....my god, he's forever a legend, something that will be talked about for decades.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,186

Post#238 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 pm

safi wrote:I disagree with the notion that Conor has nothing to lose in this fight. Yes, he's lost fights, he's even tapped out. But here, the most likely outcome is that he gets utterly embarrassed. Losing a baseball game 5-3 is very different than losing 22-0 and that's what's probably going to happen here. Losing is one thing, being made to look like an amateur (which in this context is what he is) is another.

But thats the main point, he is an amateur. If he loses then he is a amateur boxer who lost a boxing match to one of the all time great boxers. Worst case for Conor he gets picked apart for 12 rounds (which in all likelihood going to happen) people are just going to say well no duh that happened. I dont see an angle where he gets blemished at all. If the thing is even somewhat competitive and it looks like a normal Floyd vs any boxer fight, thats a huge win for him. Like others have said, if he somehow knocks him out, he all of a sudden becomes a legend in sports.

Actually I'll take back my previous worst case scenario, worst case scenario is him getting knocked out by Floyd. If that happens then thats a black eye for UFC and MMA. Conor takes kicks and knees to the face, if Floyd who hasnt really knocked anyone out in like a decade knocks him out, doesnt look so good.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,906

Post#239 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
safi wrote:I disagree with the notion that Conor has nothing to lose in this fight. Yes, he's lost fights, he's even tapped out. But here, the most likely outcome is that he gets utterly embarrassed. Losing a baseball game 5-3 is very different than losing 22-0 and that's what's probably going to happen here. Losing is one thing, being made to look like an amateur (which in this context is what he is) is another.

But thats the main point, he is an amateur. If he loses then he is a amateur boxer who lost a boxing match to one of the all time great boxers. Worst case for Conor he gets picked apart for 12 rounds (which in all likelihood going to happen) people are just going to say well no duh that happened. I dont see an angle where he gets blemished at all. If the thing is even somewhat competitive and it looks like a normal Floyd vs any boxer fight, thats a huge win for him. Like others have said, if he somehow knocks him out, he all of a sudden becomes a legend in sports.

Actually I'll take back my previous worst case scenario, worst case scenario is him getting knocked out by Floyd. If that happens then thats a black eye for UFC and MMA. Conor takes kicks and knees to the face, if Floyd who hasnt really knocked anyone out in like a decade knocks him out, doesnt look so good.

Maybe I'm overestimating the damage looking like an amateur will cause but this is the biggest stage he's ever had (and very likely will have) and he's going to get embarrassed. And I think the possibility of him becoming a national punchline is very much within the realm of possibility. On August 28th all the sports shows are going to be talking about this and they're going to be laughing at him, I wouldn't be surprised if some late night comedians threw some jokes his way.

I do think Floyd is going to KO him. I expect to see Floyd toy with him for the first few rounds and then sometime in round 5-7 he'll finish the job.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,868

Post#240 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:19 am

Win or lose, he probably makes enough money for multiple (pre-Floyd) MacLifetimes.

This is a huge win even if he loses.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts