Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#261 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:41 pm

qm22 wrote:I love Askren is going to fight in the UFC, but he's past confidence and being a bit unnecessarily disrespectful here IMO. Just too full of himself; he should wait until after his first fights in the UFC to do so or it's cringey to me. And I don't get why he's calling out Khabib and GSP when Khabib seems to have a clear opponent and is at a different weight class and GSP said he aint interested. It makes sense in the some ways but it seems like Ben wouldn't think it's really going to happen unless I'm missing something. Anyway, welcome Ben... hope he gets good fights.

I also don't get why the UFC brought him in. It's a good move for the UFC but Dana seemed like he likes to **** with Askren. According to Ben, Dana blocked him from the UFC out of spite and/or dislike of his style. So if Dana is willing to bring him over now I imagine they he has some fights he hopes he wins, somehow... I doubt they couldn't have let mighty mouse finish his contract out and leave, if that was the goal. But, Askren's multiple call outs suggest he has no specific pre-ordained plan. This is all some weird **** man...

Two things: 1) MMA Media and Social Media has been abuzz about this. I doubt anyone gives a sh*t if Askren wasn't a talker and a heel. It's clear why he's doing what he does. Given his style, do you think big names like Till, Perry, and Masvidal would be calling for fights with him if he wasn't goading them? 2) Askren has stated he wants to fight at 165 and I believe him after seeing his build relative to other WWs. Khabib has struggled to make 155 multiple times. There have been rumors for awhile now RE: the 165 division. I'm guessing that's why we are hearing the Khabib callouts from him.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,776

Post#262 » by Cammo101 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Yeah, I love this Twitter stuff Askren is pulling. It's growing his name and his fan base and bringing a lot of excitement to the division. Let him come in as the over-confident villain, it will make it that much more fun if/when someone finally takes his head off.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#263 » by Spens1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:04 am

Why does Johnson want to leave though, he barely lost the title fight and he could very well be champ again? Does he think he'll be promoted way more at One or something?
Spens1
RealGM

Post#264 » by Spens1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:09 am

Oh yeah, how could anyone hate Ben Askren for wanting to smack up Colby Covington. I think anytime chance for Covington to get a hiding is a good thing.

Not to mention a potential Askren vs GSP fight and Askren vs Woodley matchup, both of those should be damn good.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#265 » by Bernman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 am

Spens1 wrote:Why does Johnson want to leave though, he barely lost the title fight and he could very well be champ again? Does he think he'll be promoted way more at One or something?

He'll be able to fight at 125, a division which UFC is seemingly on the verge of axing. He'll be appreciated by fellow little guys. And he won't have to deal with Dana anymore.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Spens1
RealGM

Post#266 » by Spens1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:36 am

Bernman wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Why does Johnson want to leave though, he barely lost the title fight and he could very well be champ again? Does he think he'll be promoted way more at One or something?

He'll be able to fight at 125, a division which UFC is seemingly on the verge of axing. He'll be appreciated by fellow little guys. And he won't have to deal with Dana anymore.

Oh yeah forgot that Dana wants to axe the 125. He's an idiot for it if he does. Not every fight can be 155, 170 or 185 as much as Dana would love that.

Well more power to One FC though, they get a legit star and if Dana does cut the 125, they're going to get a lot stronger so he'd be only helping them.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#267 » by Bernman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:41 am

Spens1 wrote:Oh yeah forgot that Dana wants to axe the 125. He's an idiot for it if he does.

The ratings and ppv buy #'s would say otherwise. As would most on this board seemingly.

There's a sizable gap between 155 and 125. 135 makes enjoyable fights where you get the cardio and pace but also sense the opponent could be finished at any time. That's not true at 125. Obviously there's going to be a bottoming out point as far as weight goes both in terms of talent and potency.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,902

Post#268 » by qm22 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:59 am

REDDzone wrote:
qm22 wrote:I love Askren is going to fight in the UFC, but he's past confidence and being a bit unnecessarily disrespectful here IMO. Just too full of himself; he should wait until after his first fights in the UFC to do so or it's cringey to me. And I don't get why he's calling out Khabib and GSP when Khabib seems to have a clear opponent and is at a different weight class and GSP said he aint interested. It makes sense in the some ways but it seems like Ben wouldn't think it's really going to happen unless I'm missing something. Anyway, welcome Ben... hope he gets good fights.

I also don't get why the UFC brought him in. It's a good move for the UFC but Dana seemed like he likes to **** with Askren. According to Ben, Dana blocked him from the UFC out of spite and/or dislike of his style. So if Dana is willing to bring him over now I imagine they he has some fights he hopes he wins, somehow... I doubt they couldn't have let mighty mouse finish his contract out and leave, if that was the goal. But, Askren's multiple call outs suggest he has no specific pre-ordained plan. This is all some weird **** man...

Two things: 1) MMA Media and Social Media has been abuzz about this. I doubt anyone gives a sh*t if Askren wasn't a talker and a heel. It's clear why he's doing what he does. Given his style, do you think big names like Till, Perry, and Masvidal would be calling for fights with him if he wasn't goading them? 2) Askren has stated he wants to fight at 165 and I believe him after seeing his build relative to other WWs. Khabib has struggled to make 155 multiple times. There have been rumors for awhile now RE: the 165 division. I'm guessing that's why we are hearing the Khabib callouts from him.

Most of his call outs are OK but the Perry one was disrespectful and he said he wouldn't fight Perry, and Nick Diaz one for another, saying he's a bad fighter and out of money makes me cringe. But OK, not the worst thing in the world either, hope he backs it up.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#269 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Bernman wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Oh yeah forgot that Dana wants to axe the 125. He's an idiot for it if he does.

The ratings and ppv buy #'s would say otherwise. As would most on this board seemingly.

There's a sizable gap between 155 and 125. 135 makes enjoyable fights where you get the cardio and pace but also sense the opponent could be finished at any time. That's not true at 125. Obviously there's going to be a bottoming out point as far as weight goes both in terms of talent and potency.

A maxing out too. I'm not sure if Stipe (possibly the GOAT HW), if he had his skills transferred into a 170 pound body, would even be in the UFC.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#270 » by Headliner » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:02 pm

125 Is like having a 285 division. It’s pointless because most could fight at 265 and there’d be 1-3 guys deep at any moment.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,902

Post#271 » by qm22 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Bernman wrote:

A maxing out too. I'm not sure if Stipe (possibly the GOAT HW), if he had his skills transferred into a 170 pound body, would even be in the UFC.

I think this is always an untested critique. HWs appear less skilled, but I do think their power and controlling it has the trade off of being more difficult and looking sloppier. I think developing the power does take a lot of effort and if not for carrying around the mass and a forced focus on power shots there would be a lot of potential for appearing more skillful.

Thus I have the question - if you could be any weight class or size, which would be the hardest to succeed in? There might be an argument for heavy weight, at least HWs don't have the chance to weight cut into a favorable match up. IDK but I have a hard time imagining a lot of the welterweights out there would all be GOAT-HW level if they were 6'3.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#272 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#273 » by REDDzone » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 pm

It's mind-blowing that the first trade in MMA history includes arguably the greatest fighter in history.

Hell, Demetrius Johnson isn't a bad fighter either.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,819

Post#274 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 pm

LOL!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#275 » by REDDzone » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Khabib and GSP? Rumors, rumors...

Ali saying minds will be blown by upcoming announcement. Also some Dagestani mma media source/twitter reported that Khabib/GSP is in the works.

EDIT: On flip side, Askren did re-tweet that tweet. So who knows? 165 lb belt?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#276 » by REDDzone » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,765

Post#277 » by spykelee » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:01 pm

What a crazy fight khabib vs gsp would be... Just imagine the build up. Night and day to khabib and Connor. Both guys so complimentary and respectful to one another lol. Not sure if the ufc sees that as a good thing or not really. Fight wise, boy.. Idk. Right now id probably say khabib. GSP isn't quite so hot defensively off his back and I think sooner or later he'd end up there.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#278 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:42 pm

I don't even know which I'd prefer: vs GSP or vs Askren. The latter is less a blockbuster but, for competition value, is nuts. Both undefeated wrestling beasts. Does Khabib just KO him w/ his newfound power? You know what, I'm more interested in that fight than seeing GSP just get mauled (likely).
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by Headliner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:55 pm

You think GSP gets Mauled?

I thibk GSP puts Khabib on his back and works him. GSP is the best MMA wrestler ever, Khabib isn’t going to do what he typically does. Conor stuffed a take down, GSP will walk through this one
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by Headliner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 pm

GSP also has incredible Cardio, which is not something you can say for Khabib.
If GSP is able take down Khabib he’ll gas him, Khabib isn’t used to those sequences and will be pumping that adrenaline hard.

I’m pumped for this though. GSP vs Khabib then retire or face Askren and then call it a career. If he could beat Both them dear lord what a sequence

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts