Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,466

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#701 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Those were some legit boxing mechanics from Anthony. He was throwing that right hand counter haaaard right from the start. Meaty and legit.

I can't recall any TMA guys turning all that core-generated power into classical boxing movement.

Ingenious strategy too.

Honestly, was Wonderboy not looking to hurt him? His punches were just pitter-patter. Just some TMA nonsense or is he not hard enough of a dude to go after someone he respects or does not fear? I'll have to re-watch the Hendricks fight...
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 931

Post#702 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:17 pm

I've never liked Wonderboy, so I was happy to see Pettis knock him out.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,868

Post#703 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:13 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Just do Ben Vs. Usman already. Lets not beat around the bush.

I prefer one more big fight for Ben since his first fight in the UFC was a bit controversial (even though I thought he won it). I mostly want to see Usman destroy Covington at his own game first so he can kick him to the back of the line again
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#704 » by Headliner » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:51 am

Dana is still saying that Lawler vs Askren is happening next.
Personally don't have much interest in it, but I understand a rematch obviously. I just hate that the best smack talker is stuck with a really good dude who doesn't exchange verbally. Askren vs Colby, Askren vs Marty, Askren vs Till, even Askren vs new cocky Masidival are all fun and entertaining lead ups.
The UFC is still trying to bury the guy, so they won't do favors
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#705 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Headliner wrote:Wow
Good for Pettis, wish he wouldn’t have thrown the last punch at Wonderboy though, he was out cold and that last one may have put him on the retirement list.

Pettis is another guy that would benefit from a 165 division. C’mon Dana!

FWIW he said on Ariel's show yesterday that he wouldn't have went after him like that if he knew he was out cold. Who knows what's real though.

He also did that annoying thing that fighters do where he said he only wants to fight guys who want to "actually fight him" instead of wrestle him. Sorry Anthony, just because you have a technical deficiency in wrestling, doesn't mean wrestling isn't part of fighting. That said, he's an independent contractor, so he can fight who he wants, as long as he's not a titleholder. He's probably at that point in his career where he's just trying to get big fights for money.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#706 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:05 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Good for Pettis, wish he wouldn’t have thrown the last punch at Wonderboy though, he was out cold and that last one may have put him on the retirement list.

FWIW he said on Ariel's show yesterday that he wouldn't have went after him like that if he knew he was out cold. Who knows what's real though.

He also did that annoying thing that fighters do where he said he only wants to fight guys who want to "actually fight him" instead of wrestle him. Sorry Anthony, just because you have a technical deficiency in wrestling, doesn't mean wrestling isn't part of fighting. That said, he's an independent contractor, so he can fight who he wants, as long as he's not a titleholder. He's probably at that point in his career where he's just trying to get big fights for money.

But he's actually submitted a bunch of people off of takedown attempts. Wrestling hasn't been his only problem.

He seems to be trying to cast his history as one where he excels in stand-up fights by bros who want to bang. Which is actually the fantasy at work. Holloway, Poirier, Barboza, Ferguson...these were losses handed to him on his feet by strikes/strikers. Yeah, Poirier got a sub to ground strikes. But Anthony was getting effed up at the end of one of thsoe rounds with punches.

His losses are actually like 50/50 wrassling to strikes. And his wins include subs to TDs.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,270

Post#707 » by NZB2323 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

But he's actually submitted a bunch of people off of takedown attempts. Wrestling hasn't been his only problem.

He seems to be trying to cast his history as one where he excels in stand-up fights by bros who want to bang. Which is actually the fantasy at work. Holloway, Poirier, Barboza, Ferguson...these were losses handed to him on his feet by strikes/strikers. Yeah, Poirier got a sub to ground strikes. But Anthony was getting effed up at the end of one of thsoe rounds with punches.

His losses are actually like 50/50 wrassling to strikes. And his wins include subs to TDs.

In his defense, he said he wants to put on fun fights for the fans where guys go for finishes. He didn’t say that he wants standup fights because he always wins stand up fights.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#708 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:39 pm

I mean, I'm going by what Redd says with the "...instead of wrestle him".
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#709 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:39 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:I've never liked Wonderboy, so I was happy to see Pettis knock him out.

You'd be hard pressed to find a genuinely kinder fighter. He's absolutely awesome, really can't see a way anyone can hate him tbh.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#710 » by REDDzone » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I actually don't agree with your interpretation of how he's trying to cast himself. I don't think he believes he's the guy who wins fights when bros bang with him. Or at least he's never given me that impression based on things he's said. I think he just doesn't want to fight wrestlers stylistically and that's fine, but don't use that to pretend like wrestling isn't fighting or isn't a martial art or whatever other weird thing he's trying to imply by saying he wants guys who actually want to fight and not wrestle.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#711 » by REDDzone » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:11 am

cowboyronnie wrote:I mean, I'm going by what Redd says with the "...instead of wrestle him".

Pretty sure I gave the wrong impression based on my paraphrase then. He wants big, fun fights. I just don't like when guys say "I want to fight, not wrestle" maybe they should say "I want to kickbox, not fight" instead.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#712 » by Headliner » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:46 pm

Eddie Alveraz lost at the ONE card today
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#713 » by REDDzone » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:25 pm

Headliner wrote:Eddie Alveraz lost at the ONE card today

Wasn't his deal supposedly for like 9 figures or equity in the company or something else crazy?
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#714 » by Headliner » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:56 pm

REDDzone wrote:

Wasn't his deal supposedly for like 9 figures or equity in the company or something else crazy?

8 figures, and all I can find is him loosely saying it was a true partnership, I’m not sure if it was shares or not but I’m thinking not.

8 figures though, hot damn. Even at a min, how do you give Eddie Alveraz 10 million dollars lol
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,186

Post#715 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:09 pm

Headliner wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

8 figures, and all I can find is him loosely saying it was a true partnership, I’m not sure if it was shares or not but I’m thinking not.

8 figures though, hot damn. Even at a min, how do you give Eddie Alveraz 10 million dollars lol

This is how all of these other promotions always end up going under. DJ got rocked as well before he pulled out the submission. If both guys lost, that would've been a horrific result for ONE.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#716 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:01 pm

That Timofey dude looked JACKED
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#717 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:02 pm

No drug testing for ONE? Everyone looked so roided up, aside from DJ and Alvarez. I don't even see it as an upset given how the guy looked vs. Eddie, wtf was that.....

I was looking at Askren's past fights, and this guy fought the most roided up fighters as well. That record is a lot more impressive than people give it credit for, amazing his dad bod would out wrestle these freaks lol.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#718 » by REDDzone » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:11 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:No drug testing for ONE? Everyone looked so roided up, aside from DJ and Alvarez. I don't even see it as an upset given how the guy looked vs. Eddie, wtf was that.....

I was looking at Askren's past fights, and this guy fought the most roided up fighters as well. That record is a lot more impressive than people give it credit for, amazing his dad bod would out wrestle these freaks lol.

You should read his story about the last guy he fought where he actually turned down the fight because the dude missed weight and I can't recall the details but it was something like while they were negotiating for the catchweight he walked downstairs and the dude was just wolfing down a huge breakfast. :lol:
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#719 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 4, 2019 12:25 am

REDDzone wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:No drug testing for ONE? Everyone looked so roided up, aside from DJ and Alvarez. I don't even see it as an upset given how the guy looked vs. Eddie, wtf was that.....

You should read his story about the last guy he fought where he actually turned down the fight because the dude missed weight and I can't recall the details but it was something like while they were negotiating for the catchweight he walked downstairs and the dude was just wolfing down a huge breakfast. :lol:

Lol, I did not hear about this, and it's upsetting because I really want to cheer for ONE FC but they seem super shady. Their practices to prevent "weight cutting" sound like a good idea on paper, but they have people going for two championships and fighting in multiple divisions constantly, it seems like they want to push the fighters they like. Chatri makes Dana look like a saint.
Thank you Clutch0z24
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#720 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:03 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Lol, I did not hear about this, and it's upsetting because I really want to cheer for ONE FC but they seem super shady. Their practices to prevent "weight cutting" sound like a good idea on paper, but they have people going for two championships and fighting in multiple divisions constantly, it seems like they want to push the fighters they like. Chatri makes Dana look like a saint.

Any examples of incidents or situations where Chatri made Dana looked like a saint?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts