Boxing Thread 4.0

Moderator: lilfishi22

GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Re: Boxing Thread 4.0 

Post#1761 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:15 am

Estrada-Rungvisai II wasn't nearly as good as the first but still a fight with some action in it. Estrada boxed much better this time around and Rungvisai just didn't get off to a good start and it was a slough through the fight for him though he did get better later on but not nearly enough to win. Scores were way too close. 7-5 x2 and a 8-4. Giving Rungvisai 5 rounds is horrendous, 4 is being generous. Well deserved victory for Estrada. I think they'll do a 3rd fight but if they make a Nietes unification, I'm good with it as well.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#1762 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 5, 2019 4:58 am

Canelo vs Jacobs. Decent fight, not too exciting but it was a close fight. I had it 115-113 Canelo, he just came out the gate faster, stronger and more aggressive. Canelo is a lot better fighter then before, very quick head movement and pin point accurate punches in the beginning of the fight but he clearly was tired after the 6th round as Jacobs took most of the rounds in the 2nd half, his stamina is not great .

I really wish Jacobs won because I'm a big fan and he's from my neighborhood but Canelo pulled it out. I'm glad the judges had the right scores. But we all know, if the fight is close the judges will give the edge to Canelo, he's the big star. Hoping for another Canelo-GGG fight again.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1763 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 5, 2019 3:55 pm

You understand the judges submit their scores after every round, right? How would they give the edge to Canelo? They all cards that would have allowed Jacobs to win or draw if he had really pulled away in those final 3. Feldman, for example, had left things open. If Jacobs had unequivocally domianted those final two rounds, he would have tied. If he had KDd Canelo, he would have won.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,543

Post#1764 » by Butch718 » Sun May 5, 2019 6:33 pm

DAZN as a platform needs work. They have to consider bringing in better people for their Broadcast.

I’m okay with 115-113 or 116-112 for Canelo. The southpaw stance didn’t really work for Jacobs. He did hit Canelo with a vicious hook at one point but couldn’t hurt him. Also, Canelo’s defense was very impressive. His upper body and head movements made Jacobs swing and miss badly in spots.

Also big thumbs up for the GGG heel turn. Wearing Sun glasses, speaking through a translator, being booed by the crowd. I can get on board with that.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#1765 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun May 5, 2019 6:39 pm

Alvarez's defensive reflexes are something else, Jacobs could never get going offensively until it was probably a bit too late. Tense, tactical fight. Judges nailed it I thought, 8-4/7-5 was justified. Does look like we're getting a 3rd fight between Canelo and Golovkin, but there seems to be more questions in the air about it than previously. Jacobs may think about a move to 68, that would be best for him at this point unless he wants to fight Andrade/Sulecki for one last shot at a title at 60. 68 isn't a strong division, so I like his chances of claiming a belt there.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1766 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 5, 2019 8:13 pm

Butch718 wrote:DAZN as a platform needs work. They have to consider bringing in better people for their Broadcast.

I’m okay with 115-113 or 116-112 for Canelo. The southpaw stance didn’t really work for Jacobs. He did hit Canelo with a vicious hook at one point but couldn’t hurt him. Also, Canelo’s defense was very impressive. His upper body and head movements made Jacobs swing and miss badly in spots.

Also big thumbs up for the GGG heel turn. Wearing Sun glasses, speaking through a translator, being booed by the crowd. I can get on board with that.

I was going to comment about the broadcast team too. Just baseball announcer, formal broadcaster dudes and no fighter to do color? Also, they didn't translate Canelo's corner, despite having a Spanish translator.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#1767 » by Butch718 » Mon May 6, 2019 2:10 am

Brian Kenny is awful to listen to. Mannix and Mora okay, but they still need work.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1768 » by Papi_swav » Mon May 6, 2019 3:17 am

cowboyronnie wrote:You understand the judges submit their scores after every round, right? How would they give the edge to Canelo?They all cards that would have allowed Jacobs to win or draw if he had really pulled away in those final 3. Feldman, for example, had left things open. If Jacobs had unequivocally domianted those final two rounds, he would have tied. If he had KDd Canelo, he would have won.

What does this mean? So what you think about that 118-110 card for Canelo in the first GGG fight? Stop acting like we haven't seen rigged cards before. This fight they got the cards right though and I'm surprised because we all know Canelo is boxing's baby right now.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1769 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 6, 2019 2:29 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:You understand the judges submit their scores after every round, right? How would they give the edge to Canelo?They all cards that would have allowed Jacobs to win or draw if he had really pulled away in those final 3. Feldman, for example, had left things open. If Jacobs had unequivocally domianted those final two rounds, he would have tied. If he had KDd Canelo, he would have won.

What does this mean? So what you think about that 118-110 card for Canelo in the first GGG fight? Stop acting like we haven't seen rigged cards before. This fight they got the cards right though and I'm surprised because we all know Canelo is boxing's baby right now.

Obviously there have been some Golden Boy decisions and massive corruption. But you're saying that every card will feature this.

This fight WAS close, and the judges had cornered themselves by the 10th round such that Jacobs had a bunch of ways to win the fight. This is a fact. Canelo won by exactly correct scores. The judges had not hedged at all in the interests of allowing themselves to give Canelo the win even if Jacobs had won the last 3 decisively.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1770 » by Papi_swav » Mon May 6, 2019 6:37 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Obviously there have been some Golden Boy decisions and massive corruption. But you're saying that every card will feature this.

This fight WAS close, and the judges had cornered themselves by the 10th round such that Jacobs had a bunch of ways to win the fight. This is a fact. Canelo won by exactly correct scores. The judges had not hedged at all in the interests of allowing themselves to give Canelo the win even if Jacobs had won the last 3 decisively.

Yea but IDK what's your argument when I clearly said the judges had the right scores in my first post. U and I both know most of Canelo fights have rigged scorecards, we even seen it in the Mayweather fight when 1 judge had Canelo winning the fight, are u kidding me? And ofcourse when they robbed Triple G in the first fight and when Lara beat Canelo but they gave it to Canelo, it's a pattern here. But this time they finally had the cards right is my point.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#1771 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue May 7, 2019 4:26 am

Lara didn't beat Canelo, I really don't know why that fight has become a narrative. Dude was running a marathon that night, and I hardly toss those kind of words around here.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#1772 » by Papi_swav » Tue May 7, 2019 4:37 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Lara didn't beat Canelo, I really don't know why that fight has become a narrative. Dude was running a marathon that night, and I hardly toss those kind of words around here.

Re watch that fight, Lara is a counter puncher like most Cuban fighters. Lara was tagging him all night and didn't take any punishment. Canelo should have 3 L's on his record. But that's the past, hopefully he fights Charlo next, should be a good one.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#1773 » by Butch718 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Good fight between Hurd and JRock. JRock beat Hurd at his own game. Hurd couldn’t bully him, and it was JRock that found more success on the inside. The funny thing is Hurd found more success setting up his punches from a distance, and then following up with an attack to the body. But he kept leaning his head and shoulder in and left himself open an obscene amount of times.

If Hurd can correct some technical issues, I can see him winning a rematch. His trainer needs to tell him to set up his punches from the outside, and then going to the body and head.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1774 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Lol @ PBC going through a list of Philly fighters and not mentioning BHop. Tim Witherspoon not Hopkins.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1775 » by cowboyronnie » Tue May 14, 2019 2:53 am

Butch718 wrote:Good fight between Hurd and JRock. JRock beat Hurd at his own game. Hurd couldn’t bully him, and it was JRock that found more success on the inside. The funny thing is Hurd found more success setting up his punches from a distance, and then following up with an attack to the body. But he kept leaning his head and shoulder in and left himself open an obscene amount of times.

If Hurd can correct some technical issues, I can see him winning a rematch. His trainer needs to tell him to set up his punches from the outside, and then going to the body and head.

What a dog fight that was. Wow. J-Rock looked awesome (suspiciously strong and fit??). That short right in the first half of the fight, the right uppercut in the second. He matador'd when he had to, cutting angles with his feet. He bullied and pushed Hurd back too...which is just totally unexpected.

Somehow there were two judges that gave 5 rounds to Hurd??? LOL. That was a 10-2, if not a 11-1 or 12-0. What a devastation. J-Rock erasing that Charlo memor. y
Butch718
RealGM

Post#1776 » by Butch718 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm

J-Rock looked like he was trained by Anne Wolfe. His stamina was great and he didn't wear out or slow down by the later rounds.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,755

Post#1777 » by Rich Rane » Sun May 19, 2019 4:05 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Butch718
RealGM

Post#1778 » by Butch718 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Joshua/Wilder is a toss up. I used to lean heavily towards Joshua, but not so much anymore.

Joshua is technically better than Wilder at almost everything.

But Wilder's power is devastating. He literally could end it at any time.

Also, I'm moving Inoue up the pound for pound list. He's definitely above Spence. His resume is more impressive, and pound for pound he's probably the second most devastating puncher in the sport behind Wilder. It's just too bad he fights at a lower weight class. If he was at 135 or above, more people would probably know about him. A fight with him and Nonito should be a fun scrap to watch. Nonito still has one of the best hooks in the game and he looks so much better being back at 118. Make that fight happen.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1779 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 am

LOL so bad. Showtime aired the extent of the Wilder fight from an aerial view. There are no angles, there's no footwork. Breazeale just didn't throw any jabs, Wilder was able to get into a position to throw a super short right. Ridiculous that he could be allowed to throw a 1-2 from that distance.

This division is the worst. Shut it down.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1780 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's just wandering aimlessly, Wilder sees it and jumps on him. But there's not one iota of skill to any of this.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts