Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#461 » by Shaazzam » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:37 pm

REDDzone wrote:Awesome roll between two legends of their respective games:

Spoiler:
I actually think Braulio may have been a little pissed after the kimura LOL, he went after him. Probably not used to being tapped out by anyone ever, not to mention maybe a little crank there.

that was awesome, thanks for posting
georges is **** monster man, respect to him for always wanting to challenge himself
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#462 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Susan wrote:Impressive to see George do so well considering the size AND skill difference. Braulio was pushing (as was George) pretty hard the whole time.

Don't see him really push/turn it on after the kimura but I could be wrong!

Do you think there is a huge size difference? Braulio is long, but he fought MMA at 185 and grappled at 88kg (~194 pounds).
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#463 » by Susan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:17 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:Impressive to see George do so well considering the size AND skill difference. Braulio was pushing (as was George) pretty hard the whole time.

Don't see him really push/turn it on after the kimura but I could be wrong!

Do you think there is a huge size difference? Braulio is long, but he fought MMA at 185 and grappled at 88kg (~194 pounds).

8-15 lbs? GSP is probably 182-185, Braulio is 6'3" and probably 200 everyday. We're built the same and Braulio is thicker than I am and I'm 195 easy.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#464 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:27 pm

^^ Who knows what his weight is now between colitis and flirting with 155 but my guess is GSP spent most of his career (at WW) higher than 182-185. I'd guess north of 190, which yea would probably fall in your range.

Maybe AirCanadaTDotRapsfanExposMouse will check in and provide the specifics. :)
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#465 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Must be nice to have a body literally tailor made for jiu jitsu BTW.
Susan
RealGM

Post#466 » by Susan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:08 am

REDDzone wrote:Must be nice to have a body literally tailor made for jiu jitsu BTW.

I've got a hernia (my second one) so I'm out of commission for a hot minute until I get that fixed. Thinking about getting really into yoga these days. Trying to be the poor mans Chicago Borovic.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#467 » by REDDzone » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Must be nice to have a body literally tailor made for jiu jitsu BTW.

I've got a hernia (my second one) so I'm out of commission for a hot minute until I get that fixed. Thinking about getting really into yoga these days. Trying to be the poor mans Chicago Borovic.

Did you hear about him? Went to a tournament and got two bones in his leg shattered by Kyle Boehm via outside heel hook. Out of commission for at least a year.
Susan
RealGM

Post#468 » by Susan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:50 am

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:

Did you hear about him? Went to a tournament and got two bones in his leg shattered by Kyle Boehm via outside heel hook. Out of commission for at least a year.

Yeah, wild break. Have you talked to him since?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#469 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:02 am

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:

Yeah, wild break. Have you talked to him since?

Yeah, here and there. Seems in good spirits and doing what he can to stay active in the meantime. Sucks!
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#470 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:46 am

The dude is just on another level. I know Gonzaga's BJJ competition days are way in the past, but that is still one gigantic man who knows how to handle himself on the ground and it was a walk in the park for Gordon. There really is no more challenges for him when it comes to submission grappling.

If Im Dana Im on the phone with him and Danaher and giving him a deal. Give the dude a year to train MMA, then have him come on the Contender series to get a couple fights under his belt before you bring him up to the UFC. He has way too much potential to let him go to another promotion and stick there.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#471 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:47 pm

^^ He subbed Aleksei Oleinik in about a minute a week or two before.

I'm skeptical that he will ever fight MMA tbh. He makes enough money grappling, why get punched in the face. Plus he always used to talk about his future MMA career and now he literally never does.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#472 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm

REDDzone wrote:^^ He subbed Aleksei Oleinik in about a minute a week or two before.

I'm skeptical that he will ever fight MMA tbh. He makes enough money grappling, why get punched in the face. Plus he always used to talk about his future MMA career and now he literally never does.

Ya I've noticed that as well. He used to always talk about the main thing he wanted to do was become the best MMA fighter. But now he never brings it up. Like with that interview with Chael after this fight, talked about the main thing he wants to do is grapple wrestlers.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#473 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:17 pm

He used to talk about the MMA thing ALL THE TIME. That's the whole reason he put down the gi. He entered into the combat jiu jitsu tournament with Werdum/Barnett, etc. If you go to his social media, he literally engages fans all day but skips the questions asking about his future MMA career. Then, he did a Q&A for Fightpass leading up to one of his matches recently and a fan asked him about it and he non convincingly said MMA "is still the plan for now" or something similar.

Not sure why the sudden shift. My two theories are 1) His knee injury was pretty terrible actually, maybe he feels limited by it although IDK how much sense that makes given that he's going to freestyle wrestle Pat Downey LOL. 2) Tonon is currently in a contract dispute with One which is why you have seen him make a return to grappling lately, perhaps GR sees how little money MMA guys are making relative to what he's doing competing in grappling and selling instructionals and is just disillusioned with the whole thing.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#474 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:51 pm

REDDzone wrote:He used to talk about the MMA thing ALL THE TIME. That's the whole reason he put down the gi. He entered into the combat jiu jitsu tournament with Werdum/Barnett, etc. If you go to his social media, he literally engages fans all day but skips the questions asking about his future MMA career. Then, he did a Q&A for Fightpass leading up to one of his matches recently and a fan asked him about it and he non convincingly said MMA "is still the plan for now" or something similar.

Not sure why the sudden shift. My two theories are 1) His knee injury was pretty terrible actually, maybe he feels limited by it although IDK how much sense that makes given that he's going to freestyle wrestle Pat Downey LOL. 2) Tonon is currently in a contract dispute with One which is why you have seen him make a return to grappling lately, perhaps GR sees how little money MMA guys are making relative to what he's doing competing in grappling and selling instructionals and is just disillusioned with the whole thing.

I would add a 3rd possibility. Ryan is no doubt an egomaniac (backs it up in the BJJ world). I know he said he started training MMA a few months before his knee injury. Im curious if the training wasn't going so well. Maybe it was eye opening and wasn't as smooth as a transition as he thought. So he'd rather just stay with BJJ where he knows he can dominate instead of getting worked over in MMA.

It could also be a mix of all of these things haha.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#475 » by kdawg32086 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 12:04 am

And apparently Gordon is retiring in 2020 now?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#476 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 1, 2020 1:20 am

kdawg32086 wrote:And apparently Gordon is retiring in 2020 now?

Yea, we'll see LOL. Dude is a workaholic, apparently he came to this decision on his first vacation since he started training intensely. Vacation is amazing for a few weeks or months, then sh*t gets boring.

He'll be back.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#477 » by REDDzone » Fri May 8, 2020 6:09 pm

This is a few weeks late at this point, but I feel like Chael's SUG event was ran about as good as it could be run during the pandemic, if you're going to do an event.

Nobody in the room except the two grapplers and the ref.
Ref wore a mask, and never touched the competitors.
Grapplers stood at opposite ends of the cage before the match, and opposite ends as the winner was being announced.
No contact except for the actual grappling.
Chael commentated from a remote location.
The matches were shortened, I think from 10 minutes to 5.

Also, this happened:

Spoiler tagged if leg locks make you a little squeamish:
Spoiler:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#478 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 8, 2020 8:44 pm

REDDzone wrote:^^ Who knows what his weight is now between colitis and flirting with 155 but my guess is GSP spent most of his career (at WW) higher than 182-185. I'd guess north of 190, which yea would probably fall in your range.

Maybe AirCanadaTDotRapsfanExposMouse will check in and provide the specifics. :)

I was watching GSP versus Karo Parisian the other day, and one of the big things the commentators kept bringing up was how big he was for a welterweight.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Susan
RealGM

Post#479 » by Susan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:43 am

Read on Twitter
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#480 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:29 am

Man, that's so sick.

1) It's crazy that Kade is 17 years old.
2) It's crazy how much better Tye is than Kade, especially since Kade is obviously so damn good.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts