The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: CPT

User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,004
And1: 849
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#361 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 pm

REDDzone wrote:This will get lost in the shuffle with tonight's event but I'm honestly kind of in awe of Gordon Ryan at this point. For him to sweep, pass, mount, and eventually submit Josh Barnett in like 4 minutes or whatever is honestly just jaw dropping to me. That kid is just amazing, despite the meh schtick.


I don't know who this guy is nor support a grappling lifestyle but I am pretty sure Renato Laranja has said this Ryan fellow is about that fruits & veg diet. So nice to hear he cleaned Barnett's clock.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#362 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:This will get lost in the shuffle with tonight's event but I'm honestly kind of in awe of Gordon Ryan at this point. For him to sweep, pass, mount, and eventually submit Josh Barnett in like 4 minutes or whatever is honestly just jaw dropping to me. That kid is just amazing, despite the meh schtick.


I don't know who this guy is nor support a grappling lifestyle but I am pretty sure Renato Laranja has said this Ryan fellow is about that fruits & veg diet. So nice to hear he cleaned Barnett's clock.


Fruits and vegetables meaning vegan? Kinda doubt that but been wrong before...

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
Posts: 6,103
And1: 835
Joined: Feb 28, 2005

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#363 » by Jasen777 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:12 am

REDDzone wrote:Fruits and vegetables meaning vegan? Kinda doubt that but been wrong before...


Getting protein isn't the difficult part of a vegan diet, if that's what you mean. (I have n o idea about the person in question).

*googles if steroids are vegan*
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,004
And1: 849
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#364 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:14 am

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:This will get lost in the shuffle with tonight's event but I'm honestly kind of in awe of Gordon Ryan at this point. For him to sweep, pass, mount, and eventually submit Josh Barnett in like 4 minutes or whatever is honestly just jaw dropping to me. That kid is just amazing, despite the meh schtick.


I don't know who this guy is nor support a grappling lifestyle but I am pretty sure Renato Laranja has said this Ryan fellow is about that fruits & veg diet. So nice to hear he cleaned Barnett's clock.


Fruits and vegetables meaning vegan? Kinda doubt that but been wrong before...



That's what he said on Renato's podcast.

Steroids are derived from yams, BTW. As long as there's no eggs in the stabiliser, totally vegan.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#365 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:17 am

1) Sorry jasen, but I haven't listened to nearly enough JRE to be considered a nutrition expert.

2) Cbr you said Renato called him a vegan, didn't realize Gordon said it himself. And yea I assume GR is on roids.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#366 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:30 pm

This literally looks like what a hobbyist black belt vs blue belts looks like. Just a different level.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#367 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:31 am

Cannot believe Gordon Ryan's first foray into combat jiu jitsu will be against Fabricio Werdum. Man. If Vagner Rocha can TKO someone in that, Werdum certainly can. Obvs Gordon could also put Werdum's foot on backwards but this seems like too much too soon.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#368 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:34 am

Bellator signed AJ Agazarm. He's not a Tonon or even a Danis when it comes to submitting everyone, but what makes him interesting is that he was a legit b10 d1 wrestler. Can't think of too many d1 wrestlers who are also super high level black belts. He's not Jacare on the ground, but definitely a guy who has been in there and competed against the best of the best and held his own.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,099
And1: 3,125
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#369 » by Susan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 pm

REDDzone wrote:Cannot believe Gordon Ryan's first foray into combat jiu jitsu will be against Fabricio Werdum. Man. If Vagner Rocha can TKO someone in that, Werdum certainly can. Obvs Gordon could also put Werdum's foot on backwards but this seems like too much too soon.


When's that going down?

Honestly dunno how much power Werdum has from his GNP. I could be wrong but he seems to be really technical and just really big, can't see him putting together some insane slaps from guard.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#370 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Cannot believe Gordon Ryan's first foray into combat jiu jitsu will be against Fabricio Werdum. Man. If Vagner Rocha can TKO someone in that, Werdum certainly can. Obvs Gordon could also put Werdum's foot on backwards but this seems like too much too soon.


When's that going down?

Honestly dunno how much power Werdum has from his GNP. I could be wrong but he seems to be really technical and just really big, can't see him putting together some insane slaps from guard.


It's a 4 man tournament between Ryan/Vinny/Barnett/Werdum. Regardless of GNP KO power, I find it hard to argue that he isn't jumping into the deep end on his first foray into combat jiu jitsu.

Not sure on date, Jan or Feb.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,004
And1: 849
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#371 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 pm

They drug test in metamo? I can't imagine. But adding the striking element...the threat to people's health is raised. We don't suspect people's pharma programs on this board, sir. But, if I'm clean, I am not going to head-to-head with Barnett, Werdum, or Vinny in any form of striking combat w/ out them depositin.g a lot of pee
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#372 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:20 am

cowboyronnie wrote:They drug test in metamo? I can't imagine. But adding the striking element...the threat to people's health is raised. We don't suspect people's pharma programs on this board, sir. But, if I'm clean, I am not going to head-to-head with Barnett, Werdum, or Vinny in any form of striking combat w/ out them depositin.g a lot of pee


Two quick things:

1) Metamoris is done. Haven't had a show in years. Last I heard ralek was fighting MMA to try to earn money to pay back all the guys he stiffed from his early shows.

2) Combat jiu jitsu IS sanctioned by state athletic commissions FWIW. I don't even know the promotion this is taking place in but I know they don't have the money to drug test grapplers. IBJJF does test, but nobody else. That said, I'd guess it would be within the jurisdiction of the athletic commissions to test if they so choose. Doubt that'll happen although it may depend where it's taking place. Maybe Andy Foster or someone like that would actually do it?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#373 » by REDDzone » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Gordon Ryan double golds in an ADCC caliber division at nogi worlds. Dominating Yuri Simoes, submitting Jackson Sousa, beating Cyborg, etc.

By far the highest peak ever for an American in pure submission grappling. I think the scariest part is he put all his opponents on that honeyhole position, but couldn't attack the heel hook since it was an IBJJF tournament. All those matches end in early submission if it were a tournament where that submission was legal. He just used it to sweep lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#374 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:46 am

Another note about nogi worlds...Ralph Gracie sucker punched Flavio Almeida and apparently kicked his teeth out while he was in unconscious. It should come as no surprise to anyone that a Gracie is scum and attacking people savagely. Crazy part is Flavio is Ricardo Almeida's brother and Ralph is Renzo's brother. Ricardo has his black under Renzo, many business associations with him, and even named his son after Renzo. Awkward lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,004
And1: 849
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#375 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:21 pm

REDDzone wrote:Another note about nogi worlds...Ralph Gracie sucker punched Flavio Almeida and apparently kicked his teeth out while he was in unconscious. It should come as no surprise to anyone that a Gracie is scum and attacking people savagely. Crazy part is Flavio is Ricardo Almeida's brother and Ralph is Renzo's brother. Ricardo has his black under Renzo, many business associations with him, and even named his son after Renzo. Awkward lol.


LOL @ Almeida on Twitter: "Once in a lifetime something happens that make you question the very foundation of what you believe in..."

Uh huh:

Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#376 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:10 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:LOL @ Almeida on Twitter: "Once in a lifetime something happens that make you question the very foundation of what you believe in..."

Uh huh:


Pretty sure that whole scrap started because Almeida held the choke too long too. :lol:

Anyway, there is video for those interested. Too lazy to post from mobile.

Ralph and Renzo are scum man. In a family densely populated with scum, they stand out. Renzo may as well be DonDon with people looking past his obvious flaws.

Not sure how this has progressed, but rumors are that Gracie Barra had a handshake with Ralph from a decade ago where they promised not to open a gym in his town. They are opening in his town, so he searched for the first senior GB guy he could find to attack. It was Flavio, so he dropped him with a sucker punch and kicked his teeth out when he was down. Guessing business isn't so great for old Ralph lately since Kurt Osiander left and opened up a place of his own recently too.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#377 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 pm

This whole thing is just so confusing to me. Joe Rogan told me that bjj black belts don't have any ego and it's impossible for them to be full of sh*t.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#378 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:26 am

I thought I already posted this here but maybe not. If anyone is interested in some fun grappling matches, I'd say this is one of the better videos to watch. It's long but goes fast, it's the recent Quintet promotion that can be watched on FightPass. The concept is a "winner stays in" type of scenario such that after you tap your opponent, the next guy comes in and you wrestle him, and so on and so forth. About as fun as grappling gets IMO.

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,392
And1: 24,715
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#379 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 am

REDDzone wrote:I thought I already posted this here but maybe not. If anyone is interested in some fun grappling matches, I'd say this is one of the better videos to watch. It's long but goes fast, it's the recent Quintet promotion that can be watched on FightPass. The concept is a "winner stays in" type of scenario such that after you tap your opponent, the next guy comes in and you wrestle him, and so on and so forth. About as fun as grappling gets IMO.



Ya I watched this when it came out. Really love the format. By far the most entertaining way to watch grappling that I've seen so far.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 10,486
And1: 733
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
       

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#380 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Mar 3, 2019 2:17 am

REDDzone wrote:I thought I already posted this here but maybe not. If anyone is interested in some fun grappling matches, I'd say this is one of the better videos to watch. It's long but goes fast, it's the recent Quintet promotion that can be watched on FightPass. The concept is a "winner stays in" type of scenario such that after you tap your opponent, the next guy comes in and you wrestle him, and so on and so forth. About as fun as grappling gets IMO.



There's so much potential for Quintet to blow up and get into the mainstream. They just need more top guys to compete in it.
Image
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts