The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: CPT

kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 10,487
And1: 733
Joined: Jun 12, 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
       

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#381 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Looks like the next Quintet will be another Fight Night in Japan, with 3 Japanese teams and a 10th planet team (rumored to have Vinny Magalhaes on it in place of Allam or Sachnoff).
Image
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#382 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:40 pm

It's such a great time to be a grappling fan. I bought a year of flo grappling in December and honestly they have 2-3 events every single weekend it seems. It's just crazy how fast the sport is growing.

Not to mention it's an ADCC year, whoo!
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
Posts: 6,126
And1: 844
Joined: Feb 28, 2005

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#383 » by Jasen777 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:53 pm

So May 6th Askren is taking on Jordan Burroughs
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#384 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:36 am

Jasen777 wrote:So May 6th Askren is taking on Jordan Burroughs


Burroughs is such a stud.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,102
And1: 886
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#385 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Jasen777 wrote:So May 6th Askren is taking on Jordan Burroughs


It must be a friendly sparring, yeyeah?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Jasen777
Head Coach
Posts: 6,126
And1: 844
Joined: Feb 28, 2005

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#386 » by Jasen777 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:32 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:So May 6th Askren is taking on Jordan Burroughs


It must be a friendly sparring, yeyeah?


It's a wrestle. It'll be as competitive as Burroughs wants it to be.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#387 » by REDDzone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:03 pm

I saw CM Punk compete at a local BJJ tournament today in Milwaukee. He was at blue belt and it didn't go well for him.

That said, it actually made me respect him more. The dude is putting himself out there and clearly just wants to get better. There's no glory in getting choked out by some random blue belt (trust me on that one lol).

It actually annoys me that random fat f*ck MMA media members were **** on him for it tbh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,224
And1: 3,183
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#388 » by Susan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:46 pm

REDDzone wrote:I saw CM Punk compete at a local BJJ tournament today in Milwaukee. He was at blue belt and it didn't go well for him.

That said, it actually made me respect him more. The dude is putting himself out there and clearly just wants to get better. There's no glory in getting choked out by some random blue belt (trust me on that one lol).

It actually annoys me that random fat f*ck MMA media members were **** on him for it tbh.


I'm a fan of him doing this but I think he came at BJJ with the wrong attitude from the get-go.

I remember listening to him talk to Ariel (I think) about how he didn't like to train with randoms because they were "trying to submit the champion of the world" like somebody at a BJJ gym really gives a **** about that. He came at BJJ/MMA with some inflated sense of self because of his WWE **** and ate **** because of it. Now he's going through what we all have to go through to get good which is cool but man he had some serious delusion coming into this ****.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#389 » by REDDzone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I saw CM Punk compete at a local BJJ tournament today in Milwaukee. He was at blue belt and it didn't go well for him.

That said, it actually made me respect him more. The dude is putting himself out there and clearly just wants to get better. There's no glory in getting choked out by some random blue belt (trust me on that one lol).

It actually annoys me that random fat f*ck MMA media members were **** on him for it tbh.


I'm a fan of him doing this but I think he came at BJJ with the wrong attitude from the get-go.

I remember listening to him talk to Ariel (I think) about how he didn't like to train with randoms because they were "trying to submit the champion of the world" like somebody at a BJJ gym really gives a **** about that. He came at BJJ/MMA with some inflated sense of self because of his WWE **** and ate **** because of it. Now he's going through what we all have to go through to get good which is cool but man he had some serious delusion coming into this ****.
I see both sides of this tbh. Without hearing the interview, I'm guessing he meant world champion of wwe. I think every public figure who trains BJJ goes through this to some extent. Maybe you and I have good teams with minimal douchebags, and coaches in control of their guys, but that's not true for every school.

I remember before Tyron fought Robbie he was training at our school and was selective about who he rolled with. He wasn't avoiding browns and blacks, but big ass blues who could potentially overzealously try to put his neck or foot on their mantle.

Hell I avoid a handful of guys at my own gym. And nobody gives a sh*t about subbing me, obviously. I can see why he would be careful. Again, I think it's more of a public figure thing than a "WWE matters" thing.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post a little bit. He trains with randoms for sure I'm guessing, just randoms at Dukes. I doubt the dude is going to random open mats though and training with randoms in that way.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,102
And1: 886
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#390 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:45 pm

I give a **** about subbing you, Redd.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#391 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 am

cowboyronnie wrote:I give a **** about subbing you, Redd.


I prefer gi but if you insist on nogi FYI I wear vale tudo shorts and go shirtless. #nocup
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,224
And1: 3,183
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#392 » by Susan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I saw CM Punk compete at a local BJJ tournament today in Milwaukee. He was at blue belt and it didn't go well for him.

That said, it actually made me respect him more. The dude is putting himself out there and clearly just wants to get better. There's no glory in getting choked out by some random blue belt (trust me on that one lol).

It actually annoys me that random fat f*ck MMA media members were **** on him for it tbh.


I'm a fan of him doing this but I think he came at BJJ with the wrong attitude from the get-go.

I remember listening to him talk to Ariel (I think) about how he didn't like to train with randoms because they were "trying to submit the champion of the world" like somebody at a BJJ gym really gives a **** about that. He came at BJJ/MMA with some inflated sense of self because of his WWE **** and ate **** because of it. Now he's going through what we all have to go through to get good which is cool but man he had some serious delusion coming into this ****.
I see both sides of this tbh. Without hearing the interview, I'm guessing he meant world champion of wwe. I think every public figure who trains BJJ goes through this to some extent. Maybe you and I have good teams with minimal douchebags, and coaches in control of their guys, but that's not true for every school.

I remember before Tyron fought Robbie he was training at our school and was selective about who he rolled with. He wasn't avoiding browns and blacks, but big ass blues who could potentially overzealously try to put his neck or foot on their mantle.

Hell I avoid a handful of guys at my own gym. And nobody gives a sh*t about subbing me, obviously. I can see why he would be careful. Again, I think it's more of a public figure thing than a "WWE matters" thing.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post a little bit. He trains with randoms for sure I'm guessing, just randoms at Dukes. I doubt the dude is going to random open mats though and training with randoms in that way.


This was before he left the WWE. It was when he was training with Rener.

Rener was also going out and saying **** like thisto the media:

“If he dedicates himself full time, there is no limit,” Gracie said. “He has the intangibles.”


I get your point but also just think his celebrity held him back from actually training with people for a long ass time (before he went up to Duke's. He thought people were trying to kick his ass because he was the WWE Champ when they were just trying to kick his ass cause that's what **** happens in BJJ.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#393 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:58 pm

^^ It's hard for me to hold him accountable for the garbage that comes out of Rener's mouth.

I don't really think we disagree on anything. I didn't realize you were talking about prior to him starting MMA training (he went to Duke's pretty much immediately once he signed with the UFC). I'm sure he took a few privates with Rener and thought too highly of himself.

It's so funny, jiu jitsu is like a fad in Hollywood these days. Demi Lovato, Mario Lopez, Tom Hardy, Jonah Hill, etc. But I always wonder, do these people ACTUALLY train? Or do they just do privates at the Gracie Academy and whichever is the fat Machado brother who almost exclusively trains celebs? I'm not mad about it either way but I can see why him having an uppity attitude before he really got into it could run people the wrong way I guess.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,224
And1: 3,183
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#394 » by Susan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 pm

REDDzone wrote:^^ It's hard for me to hold him accountable for the garbage that comes out of Rener's mouth.

I don't really think we disagree on anything. I didn't realize you were talking about prior to him starting MMA training (he went to Duke's pretty much immediately once he signed with the UFC). I'm sure he took a few privates with Rener and thought too highly of himself.

It's so funny, jiu jitsu is like a fad in Hollywood these days. Demi Lovato, Mario Lopez, Tom Hardy, Jonah Hill, etc. But I always wonder, do these people ACTUALLY train? Or do they just do privates at the Gracie Academy and whichever is the fat Machado brother who almost exclusively trains celebs? I'm not mad about it either way but I can see why him having an uppity attitude before he really got into it could run people the wrong way I guess.


I mean, Rener's garbage got him into the UFC and caught him a beating that he had no chance of winning.

Happy he's on a good path now, but his first 5-7 years of this **** have been pretty awful.

I wonder about those celebs. Do they get their ass kicked like everybody else and that's why they like it or do they go through this BS BJJ experience?
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#395 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:37 pm

I was thinking about this today...Gordon Ryan is considered AT WORST the third best nogi submission grappler on planet earth at the moment. I'm pretty sure I watched a match between Gordon and Mickey Gall from a few years back where Gordon won on points.

We had a dude who is a good enough grappler to fight the best grappler in the world to points vs. a dude who got N/S choked by a 45 year old blue belt this past weekend. It's mindblowing. While I respect what Punk is doing now, I'll gladly fade him if he ever decides to fight again, and the opponent doesn't matter.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,102
And1: 886
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#396 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:57 pm

I am surprised you guys can't sympathise with the desire of people to beat down celebrities. There are a few corporate executive types who train for vanity fights at my gym...and I am a SOB. It's totally a thing to know you KDd so-and-so (the VP of some company). I can list off names. If it were a WWE star? Who doesn't want that to their name?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#397 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 am

If I told some a random friend that doesn't trane that "I tapped out CM Punk" they would say "whose that? And what does tapped out mean?" and proceed on with their lives not giving a sh*t. If I told a training partner that I tapped out CM Punk they'd say "oh really? What belt is he?". I'd say "blue belt" then they'd laugh and say "um okay, cool story bro, congrats on tapping out a lower rank".

I have no desire to hurt anyone or train with anyone who would want to hurt me tbh. I'm def. less sadistic than you though lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,224
And1: 3,183
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#398 » by Susan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:18 pm

I think in BJJ you can wreck somebody's life a bit without really hurting them.

If we had somebody like that (complaining about people putting it on them because they're a celebrity) I'd make sure I'd politely beat the heck out of them so they knew it was coming from a place of superior technique vs somebody just going Tazz mode on them.

I'm anti going hard as heck no matter who the person is. I have a fellow purple belt who I butt heads with occasionally that went 110% on a roll with me a few weeks ago and I called him out on it.

Wouldn't get anything out of tapping out CM Punk.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#399 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Susan wrote:I think in BJJ you can wreck somebody's life a bit without really hurting them.

If we had somebody like that (complaining about people putting it on them because they're a celebrity) I'd make sure I'd politely beat the heck out of them so they knew it was coming from a place of superior technique vs somebody just going Tazz mode on them.

I'm anti going hard as heck no matter who the person is. I have a fellow purple belt who I butt heads with occasionally that went 110% on a roll with me a few weeks ago and I called him out on it.

Wouldn't get anything out of tapping out CM Punk.


But you are a purple though who is in control. I don't know if what you are saying always applies to blues and whitess. There's a reason for example, that even a monster like Tyron Woodley is open to rolling with browns and blacks but selective about rolling with blues and whites, especially physically big blues and whites. There's a distinction in not wanting to get destroyed via technique vs. not wanting to have some dude spazz out on you. If you are a white belt beating everyone up at your gym then why even comeback? That's evidence that the martial art you're training doesn't work (just trying to give CM Punk the benefit of the doubt about what he meant).
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,547
And1: 3,447
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#400 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Susan wrote:I think in BJJ you can wreck somebody's life a bit without really hurting them.


OT but you guys know I'm a martial arts nerd who loves to wax poetic about sh*t, so humor me for a moment.

The statement above is actually the foundation of judo/bjj. Japanese jiu jitsu was a martial art used in war, literally to kill people. So when the founder of judo (the source of jiu jitsu) founded judo, his philosophy was to take the techniques in jjj and cut out anything that you couldn't go 100% to apply to a training partner who was resisting 100%. Take a martial art like krav maga or whatever, obviously you can't practice kicking someone in the nuts or whatever 1000 times. You can practice on dummies, sure but you can't go 100% and have someone resist 100%. However you can apply grappling techniques 100% until the tap then you just reset. That's why bjj is so effective. If you can take down, pass, mount, and armbar a trained opponent who is resisting 100%, you can do it to most people within reason.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts