Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4 

Post#1341 » by Susan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Goldie and Mauro were just signed by Belator.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#1342 » by Headliner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Good, that's just as good as signing a big fighter imo. People are familiar with his voice, it's a smart move.
Announcers don't get enough credit, they can make or break you televised event, just ask the wwe.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1343 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:31 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Do you think its reasonable that they told him that they would put Borg on the same card so that if TJ didn't make weight, he would switch opponents on 24 hour notice?

I think this is reasonable if it's something that DJ could reject. But, again, DJ has limited bargaining power in this situation, so he might have to accept some stuff that he doesn't necessarily like. Anyways, this one doesn't seem all that egregious to me.

I mean of course he would have the ability to reject it, but could you even imagine the mud they would sling at DJ if he were to actually do so? Also no, its not reasonable to ask the best fighter in the world to switch his opponent the day before his fight imo. That wouldn't be reasonable for King of the Cage at this juncture. This isn't the wild west anymore.

Don't most fighters prefer another fighter be in place after they spend time and money on training camps?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#1344 » by High 5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 am

Goldie and Mauro on the same team is too much cheese.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1345 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 am

High 5 wrote:Goldie and Mauro on the same team is too much cheese.

Agreed. They're both such tools.

I am seeing on forums that everyone has somehow forgotten how much Goldie was universally panned while in the UFC. Nostalgia has taken over? We finally got rid of the guy.

I don't wish him any good will but he's terrible.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1346 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:56 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I think this is reasonable if it's something that DJ could reject. But, again, DJ has limited bargaining power in this situation, so he might have to accept some stuff that he doesn't necessarily like. Anyways, this one doesn't seem all that egregious to me.

I mean of course he would have the ability to reject it, but could you even imagine the mud they would sling at DJ if he were to actually do so? Also no, its not reasonable to ask the best fighter in the world to switch his opponent the day before his fight imo. That wouldn't be reasonable for King of the Cage at this juncture. This isn't the wild west anymore.

Don't most fighters prefer another fighter be in place after they spend time and money on training camps?

Yea that's exactly what DJ said when they brought that up to him he was like OK BUT WHO DO I TRAIN FOR? lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1347 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:58 pm

High 5 wrote:Goldie and Mauro on the same team is too much cheese.

This was my initial thought but at least they won't be announcing together which is worst case scenario. My understanding is Goldy on pbp and Mauro on the desk outside.

The less Mauro the better, for me.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1348 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 pm

A bit OT but Joe Lauzon went on the mmahour for the sole purpose of doing Reebok/UFC PR this week. As a huge Joe fan, it actually really rubbed me the wrong way. Just a whole company man vibe going on littered with fallacious arguments.

He says yea he made more prior to reebok but it was more hassle so he's fine with the trade. Okay dude but maybe other guys don't mind putting in the work and just because you are fine with the trade-off doesn't mean everyone will be and also doesn't make it right to have that deal imposed on you after the fact.

He says guys are seeing their UFC contracts increase to make up for lost sponsorship dollars. No evidence for this claim, of course.

He says fighters need to start supporting reebok or else they won't re-up the deal. LOL. Also says he believes UFC when they say they didn't make any money on the deal.

Ariel brings up that sponsorship dollars were drying up prior to reebok because UFC was imposing $100k tax on sponsors. He defends that.

Ariel brings up the fact that the fighters get zero money from the TV deal, in contrast with the e.g. the NBA. He defends that. He actually says he would be okay if the fighters get 0% of the next TV deal.

Ariel brings up USADA and how the fighters had no say in that being implemented. He defends that.

IDK, listen yourselves, there's a little more nuance to many of his arguments than my editorializing above, obviously.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Post#1349 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:09 pm

He flew right past company man to just plain embarrassing.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1350 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Its that exploited northeasterner mentality. :)
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1351 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1353 » by Headliner » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:19 pm

I've seen several suicide by train where I live, we had one suspected one last week. That's just speculation, and White saying he was in the middle of helping a friend would make it seem otherwise, but somethibg had to be going on. Drinking, texting or some form of distraction, because crossings are pretty lit up.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1354 » by Headliner » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:21 pm

More info, apparently it was an old crossing that was missing it's safety signals and crossing arms. Wtf...
The city is going to sued through the ass
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1355 » by REDDzone » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:30 pm

So was GDR officially stripped then? I noticed during the event that UFC had put GDR back into the 135 rankings. It's funny that she was like 10 or 11 or whatever too.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1356 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:44 pm

REDDzone wrote:So was GDR officially stripped then? I noticed during the event that UFC had put GDR back into the 135 rankings. It's funny that she was like 10 or 11 or whatever too.

Reports saying Cyborg vs. Anderson is for the title. My sarcastic thread title for 208 turns out to be even more right than I thought.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1357 » by REDDzone » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I still can't believe that was a ppv headliner.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#1358 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:28 pm

A lot of talk about how this effects the boxing schedule, primarily Canelo-GGG three weeks later. UFC 215 is one week earlier and this is the show that while I don't think its been officially confirmed is heavily rumored to be in Seattle and thus has been the center of the Mighty Mouse controversy. This confluence of timing and events gives them the perfect opportunity to acquiesce to DJ if they don't want to continue to deal with the PR headache. DJ-TJ wouldn't do that much more than DJ-Borg in a normal scenario but now whether its DJ-TJ or DJ-Borg, both of those would do terribly on PPV.

So the best idea, and I've certainly seen this written elsewhere, is to make that show a Fox show And while DJ-Reis did terribly on free TV, I'm not sure how much better TJ-DJ would do than DJ-Borg in a normal scenario on free TV. But even if you think DJ-TJ would do better there's ways to bolster that number if its DJ-Borg. Obviously, you do a ton of promotional stuff for McGregor-Mayweather on the show including hopefully an interview(s) with them, individually or together. And the card can have it both ways where there's DJ going for the record, in more or less his hometown, on top and you do the Stipe thing with him and rely on him to sell tickets and do the local promotion and make sure the gate is strong. Then for the casual TV audience, you have this cadre of fighters that the public is probably interested in, but not interested enough to pay to see. And you use two of the lower end fighters in this group, Paige Vanzant and Mickey Gall and put them on this show for the TV number.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1359 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Just read about those announcer signings from Bellator. They're really stuck in the past. They should have inked Schiavello. I'd love to hear a booth of Schiavello and Breen, bringing you descriptions of violence with elegant articulation.

What is Bellator's announce team even going to look like? They have too many guys. BTW, there is the Bellator discussion thread for this.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1360 » by REDDzone » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Tim Hague announced brain dead after boxing match. The fight game is a brutal one.

RIP.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts