Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4 

Post#1361 » by REDDzone » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Bernman wrote:Just read about those announcer signings from Bellator. They're really stuck in the past. They should have inked Schiavello. I'd love to hear a booth of Schiavello and Breen, bringing you descriptions of violence with elegant articulation.

What is Bellator's announce team even going to look like? They have too many guys. BTW, there is the Bellator discussion thread for this.

I don't think there's anything in Bellator outside of maybe Rory that could get me to tune in if they employed both Mauro and Schiavello.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#1362 » by Susan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:44 am

REDDzone wrote:Tim Hague announced brain dead after boxing match. The fight game is a brutal one.

RIP.

7th KO in 2 years...

Anybody know the latest on Hughes?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1363 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Tim Hague announced brain dead after boxing match. The fight game is a brutal one.

RIP.

7th KO in 2 years...

Hold up a second. Now there are reports saying he's in critical condition but not braindead.

I apologize for posting fake news (if it was fake). I got it from the UG news section, not just as a forum rumor, or else I would have given a disclaimer.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1364 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 pm

It turns out he indeed died, according to a statement from his family. Don't think his life quality would have been very good anyway if he pulled through. The problem arose when he suffered 6 concussions in 2 years and kept on fighting. Shouldn't have continued. But that's where commissions need to step in and save people from themselves. It is also a catch 22 that the more damage you sustain, the more you're going to be compelled to stay in the fight game at a point, because you can't do much else. Also, the pride of many fighters makes them not want to go out on a loss. Then when they experience a win they want to chase that feeling again. Both the fighters and a national commission have to recognize when guys are about to reach the point of no return before it's too late. Fighters dying in the cage is really bad for everybody, and slurring their words in middle ages is not much better.

It does seem there are more deaths in boxing and kickboxing than MMA, even though some MMA bouts seem on the surface to be even more brutal. But maybe this is just a perception based on the relative frequency of matches in those sports. There was a study done that does show that there are more serious head injuries in boxing than MMA. https://www.badlefthook.com/2015/11/6/9680738/new-study-reveals-that-boxing-is-more-dangerous-than-mma But there are more minor injuries in MMA. I definitely don't think you want to do both to increase the amount of fights, slow your ascent in one, blunt your expertise, and suffer the worst of both worlds.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Susan
RealGM

Post#1365 » by Susan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:

RIP.

7th KO in 2 years...

Hold up a second. Now there are reports saying he's in critical condition but not braindead.

I apologize for posting fake news (if it was fake). I got it from the UG news section, not just as a forum rumor, or else I would have given a disclaimer.

I saw the same thing. Not sure how this happens but yeah.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1366 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Susan wrote:Hold up a second. Now there are reports saying he's in critical condition but not braindead.

I saw the same thing. Not sure how this happens but yeah.[/quote]

I think it's the semantics between brain dead and dead dead. If they're still breathing but permanently unresponsive, a lot of families tend to still be in denial that they'll recover or are for all intents and purposes not alive.

The Shane Del Rosario situation was similar. There was report of his death, but then someone close to him said wait a minute, before finding out he was brain dead and would soon officially pass.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Re: RE: Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4 

Post#1367 » by RalphWiggum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 am

Bernman wrote:It turns out he indeed died, according to a statement from his family. Don't think his life quality would have been very good anyway if he pulled through. The problem arose when he suffered 6 concussions in 2 years and kept on fighting. Shouldn't have continued. But that's where commissions need to step in and save people from themselves. It is also a catch 22 that the more damage you sustain, the more you're going to be compelled to stay in the fight game at a point, because you can't do much else. Also, the pride of many fighters makes them not want to go out on a loss. Then when they experience a win they want to chase that feeling again. Both the fighters and a national commission have to recognize when guys are about to reach the point of no return before it's too late. Fighters dying in the cage is really bad for everybody, and slurring their words in middle ages is not much better.

It does seem there are more deaths in boxing and kickboxing than MMA, even though some MMA bouts seem on the surface to be even more brutal. But maybe this is just a perception based on the relative frequency of matches in those sports. There was a study done that does show that there are more serious head injuries in boxing than MMA. https://www.badlefthook.com/2015/11/6/9680738/new-study-reveals-that-boxing-is-more-dangerous-than-mma But there are more minor injuries in MMA. I definitely don't think you want to do both to increase the amount of fights, slow your ascent in one, blunt your expertise, and suffer the worst of both worlds.

Boxing is a much more dangerous sport than MMA and it's not even close. Broken bones or torn ligaments heal or can be repaired, damaged brains destroy lives. With the exception of Motorsports it's far and away the most dangerous mainstream sport there is. I think football is more dangerous than MMA.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#1368 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 pm

So California wouldn't license Barao at 135.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#1369 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1370 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 pm

3 title fights? Good odds Cyborg's doesn't go 5 at least (it's still for title?).
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1371 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:17 am

Up there in all-time inhumane bouts: "Francis Ngannou will attempt to continue his ascent in the heavyweight division when he meets former champion Junior dos Santos at UFC 215." In Edmonton, no less.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#1372 » by Headliner » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Love that Tyrone vs Maia is happening at 214. I imagine it was sped up to get GSP back sooner. Woodly would accept because he wants that Pay day, Maia would accept because he is due and is not getting younger. Worked out well for everyone.

Ngannou vs JDS on the other hand is scary. I've always like JDS, so I hate watching him going out cold, and I think it's a safe bet that we'll see that happen.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1373 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:42 pm

According to Stephen A. Smith, MMA/UFC is more popular than boxing because it doesn't have controversial decisions. Spoken like a guy who it's not popular too\, because many argue it's the biggest issue in the sport. They use the same commissions, there's gambling, and a lot of money at stake in outcomes. Plus there are many different disciplines you have to be schooled on. So I don't know why he'd even think that, in theory. It's more likely because there are so many disciplines as to why it's more popular now.

I watched that match last night, and it was decent entertainment, but so often I just have to scoff at how arbitrarily restrictive boxing is. I'd have loved to have seen what Mayweather in MMA would have looked like. The guy could have at least come as far as boxing with baby gloves. That's like 5-10% toward MMA, nevermind backfists, elbows, knees, kicks (head, leg, or body), clinch-work, td's, positional grappling, scrambling, subs, transitions, etc.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1374 » by REDDzone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Rumor (unconfirmed, so bucket of salt) that Mousasi has signed with Bellator.

Huge loss for the UFC if so. Currently their #4 ranked middleweight.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1375 » by Susan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:51 pm

REDDzone wrote:Rumor (unconfirmed, so bucket of salt) that Mousasi has signed with Bellator.

I felt like he would have been the one guy who could have beaten Whittaker in that division. Rockhold would seem to have a good shot against him as well.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1376 » by Jasen777 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:02 pm

REDDzone wrote:Rumor (unconfirmed, so bucket of salt) that Mousasi has signed with Bellator.

I read WME wouldn't give him any raise because he was't a big enough name. I think they really don't understand that value that that fighters at his level have. (Though to be fair he came in from Strikeforce so it's likely he has a better contract than other fighters with his level of drawing power).

Bellator doesn't h ave any good MWs though. Him taking that belt and then fighting Bader/King Mo/Davis, would be interesting though.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#1377 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:04 pm

GEGARD VS> RORY PLEASE. THIS IS IS MY DREAM MATCHUP COME TRUE>

PLEASE.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1378 » by REDDzone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Jasen777 wrote:

I read WME wouldn't give him any raise because he was't a big enough name. I think they really don't understand that value that that fighters at his level have. (Though to be fair he came in from Strikeforce so it's likely he has a better contract than other fighters with his level of drawing power).

Bellator doesn't h ave any good MWs though. Him taking that belt and then fighting Bader/King Mo/Davis, would be interesting though.

I was thinking it would be more likely that he would end up fighting Rory.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1379 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:52 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:GEGARD VS> RORY PLEASE. THIS IS IS MY DREAM MATCHUP COME TRUE>

PLEASE.

That's a dead-eyed staredown
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1380 » by REDDzone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Susan wrote:

I felt like he would have been the one guy who could have beaten Whittaker in that division. Rockhold would seem to have a good shot against him as well.

Yea I think he is a good matchup with Whitaker stylistically as well. Can't really think of Mousasi being outstruck except for by prime Machida.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts