Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4 

Post#1581 » by Jasen777 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:31 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Askren vs Aoki

I can get pulling guard, since Askren is going to take you down anyways, but the rest...
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#1582 » by Headliner » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:23 pm

What's the reason he's not in bellator or the UFC?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1583 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:36 pm

I think Aoki was hurt/disoriented from the slam.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1584 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Headliner wrote:What's the reason he's not in bellator or the UFC?

UFC wouldn't take him because he refused to kiss Dana's ring. Hell at one point he offered to fight for them for free. He already destroyed the last two bellator champions in some of the least competitive fights in mma history. Now he's making a ton of money and not taking any damage with One. Honestly I think he's got it all figured out. His wrestling academy is also hugely successful. Things are pretty good for Ben these days.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Post#1585 » by Jasen777 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 am

REDDzone wrote:
Headliner wrote:What's the reason he's not in bellator or the UFC?

UFC wouldn't take him because he refused to kiss Dana's ring. Hell at one point he offered to fight for them for free. He already destroyed the last two bellator champions in some of the least competitive fights in mma history. Now he's making a ton of money and not taking any damage with One. Honestly I think he's got it all figured out. His wrestling academy is also hugely successful. Things are pretty good for Ben these days.

What's funny is his wrestling style is considered to be exciting.

Anyways, the UFC didn't want him because most people think he's boring, but I think the they played it wrong and that Askren could have been a great heel. Sacrifice a couple strikers that got on the UFC's bad side to him, let him talk about how great wrestling is and how unimportant everything else is, talk trash about other fighters and the UFC. Then have him fight the wrestle boxers until he loses and helps make someone a bigger star.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#1586 » by qm22 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

As an MMA fan it is interesting to me whether a "boring" style is actually a dominant fighting style. Is his wrestling going to defeat Thompson's Karate? I find that interesting. Who the best welterweight is also interesting. Instead, the UFC finds Colby Covington interesting, which makes me find the UFC less interesting. Apparently finding good fighters interesting blows the current UFC management's minds.

Something I read on a comment on a news site I found relevant was, what would the UFC be like if during those Otiz/Lidell/Couture days they were full of corny trash talk and made matchups based on that. I'm really uncertain if the UFC would be around in more than a marginal capacity. Similarly, if the UFC was not disregarding promising fighters like Rory and Askren and retained them, it would really have diminished competitors like Bellator and ONE, who are held back mostly by their lack of comparable talent.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#1587 » by Headliner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Who finds Colby Covington interesting?
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#1588 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:55 pm

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#1589 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:00 am

Headliner wrote:Who finds Colby Covington interesting?

No one except Colby Covington.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#1590 » by qm22 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 am

UFC was seemingly promoting him vs Woodley on twitter.0 Maybe I'm not 100% right that they and they're merely open to what he's doing, but they didn't discourage him and he's probably getting better treatment than he would if he was not some troll guy. He was the example that popped in mind, but I think in general the UFC has been pushing fighters to take a McGregor style of promotion, because apparently they do not believe that great fighters can be marketed and developed (hence losing guys like Gegard and Askren).
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#1591 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:27 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11/29/16717664/ufc-220-daniel-cormier-vs-volkan-oezdemir-light-heavyweight-title-boston-mma-news

Are you serious?? This dude was just arrested for aggravated battery.

:banghead:

in a lawsuit which was a total money grab...

don\t get carried away here.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1592 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 pm

qm22 wrote:

UFC was seemingly promoting him vs Woodley on twitter.0 Maybe I'm not 100% right that they and they're merely open to what he's doing, but they didn't discourage him and he's probably getting better treatment than he would if he was not some troll guy. He was the example that popped in mind, but I think in general the UFC has been pushing fighters to take a McGregor style of promotion, because apparently they do not believe that great fighters can be marketed and developed (hence losing guys like Gegard and Askren).

No, you're right. The UFC is pushing him. Hell he was only in Australia for the Werdum altercation because the ufc was flying him out to be guest fighter.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1593 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:30 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11/29/16717664/ufc-220-daniel-cormier-vs-volkan-oezdemir-light-heavyweight-title-boston-mma-news

Are you serious?? This dude was just arrested for aggravated battery.

:banghead:

in a lawsuit which was a total money grab...

don\t get carried away here.

He was charged in a lawsuit?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1594 » by REDDzone » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:23 pm

I bought fightpass to watch ebi but have been actually somewhat enjoying studying up on some fighters that may have been somewhat lost in the fray to me. In the last few days I watched pretty much the fight libraries of Till, Usman, and Ngannou. Some obersvations:

Till is really a good striker and a big WW. It'll be interesting to see how he fares against the division's elite. I'll be honest, I don't read as much into the Cowboy win as some seem to. Cerrone is a notoriously slow starter and Till is muay thai aggression. He's still very good though and crazy confident. One thing to watch is if he ever gets taken down. Cerrone double-legged him which I had actually forgotten, so we will see what happens when he faces a good grappler. I don't think he has really yet, mostly Euro striker dudes, and honestly mostly Euro striker dudes that I've never heard of.

Usman is actually more intriguing to me, tbh. That guy's pressure is just insane. I actually think he is probably susceptible to submissions, saw a couple of times when he kind of put himself in a bad spot with a guillotine here or a heel hook there. I also know he has a submission loss on his record. That said, it seems like most of the guys who would be good enough to submit him aren't going to be good enough to take him down. His striking is coming along as well.

Ngannou has made a lot of improvements since he debuted in the promotion. He is a lot more fluid now than he was a few short fights ago. Not much to say here that everyone doesn't already know. Two quick observations: 1) he gets a lot of ref help. In his 15-20 minutes of total cage time, I think I counted 4-5 ref standups/breakups. It'll be interesting if they give the champ more respect than that. Also, this is a dude who loves continuing to smash his opponents' unconscious bodies, rushing strikes before the ref can get there. Not that most of us just bleeders care about that.

Lastly, just finished watching Rockhold/Weidman. What a great fight. I forgot some of the crazy grappling exchanges that happened in the first round, along with good standup throughout the 2nd and 3rd. The fight really reminds you how terrible of a referee Herb Dean is though. Just embarrassing. First he stands up the fight when Rockhold had a guillotine locked up, then he lets Weidman take a beatdown that could have literally ended several minutes earlier. Just a terrible job all around.

Anyone have any suggestions for fighters fights to watch? Preferably more obscure guys who have been on prelims or international cards which I rarely bother with anymore. Don't say ROBBIE LAWLER or TJ DILLASHAW lol I've seen all that.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1595 » by Bernman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:12 am

REDDzone wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for fighters fights to watch? Preferably more obscure guys who have been on prelims or international cards which I rarely bother with anymore. Don't say ROBBIE LAWLER or TJ DILLASHAW lol I've seen all that.

I've been championing Usman on here. He's well-rounded, super-strong, advances position quickly, and in spite of being aggressive he's under control just getting out of range before he puts a 2-piece combo together. He has a good shot of winning a title.

I don't really watch the FP events or many of the early prelims either. But Usman was apparently somewhat obscure to you so you've been missing a lot more than those fights apparently. I am a regular in viewing Legacy and watch some of Dana White's contender series. There wasn't a shortage of intriguing fighters produced from there.

You should check out Sean O'Malley, Eryk Anders, Trevin Giles, Julian Marquez, David Teymur, Vicente Luque, Brett Johns, Ramazan Emeev, Tai Tuivasa, Li Jianlang, Gregor Gillespie, Alex Perez; if you haven't already. That Calvin Katter-Shane Burgos fight coming up is straight fire. Have you been watching the Roufusport product Gerald Meerschaert. Haven't heard you discuss him. Very impressive technically, just along the way lost to a killer in Thiago Santos, but bounced back to destroy Spicely's liver. Could wind up being a factor.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1596 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Yea sorry I don't mean that Usman is obscure, just that I haven't seen all of his fights and I think guys like him and Till who are coming up the ranks fast are worth watching more extensively, even their earlier fights before main cards and main events. Its an interesting time right now in the sense that you can watch someone develop in the UFC as opposed to having to follow them locally or regionally like you used to.

Thanks for the suggestions: Anders is on my list already. I've seen Teymur's fights as well as Meerschaert's, and at least a few of Li's (I know he beat Ottow unfortunately). Some other names I know I've seen a fight or two from but not extensively to say the least.

I don't watch Dana White's show, or any Non ufc, Non-Bellator promotion (unless Ben is fighting or something) unfortunately. I think it must just be a side effect of the oversaturation of the ufc, because I used to watch every second of mma possible. I have watched a little more live mma recently since I've had fight pass for the last month. Recently watched Victory for example in order to watch Raufeon Stots. I know him a little bit from the Milwaukee martial arts scene.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1597 » by Susan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:13 am

Dominick Reyes
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#1598 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:40 pm

... is fight pass worth it?
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 4 

Post#1599 » by REDDzone » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:17 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:... is fight pass worth it?
It's much more worth it now that they have acquired the rights to live events and archives of other promotions. Speaking for myself, I'll never be the guy who buys it monthly or yearly or whatever. That said, if an EBI or UFC fight pass event comes on there that I want to watch live, I'll pay the $9 and enjoy the novelty for the month. Last time I ordered it for ebi and watched the first 5-6 UFC events which was cool. This time I bought for the same reason and have been researching older fights for some upcoming dudes as well as watching some random old pride fights and a few live events as well.

The $9, quality of stream, and good interface is in stark contrast to the much more expensive, terribly organized, and less reliable flo grappling which I wouldn't recommend to anyone under any circumstance.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1600 » by Susan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Edgy Brah, brah.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts