Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#1001 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:07 pm

His coaches need to pull him from this ****. Moving up (a 20lb bump, in this case) to face a surging KO artist? When his management accepted, the UFC execs must have looked at each other, giggling, like, "no ****, he's going to let us build Reyes with a headline KO over an ex-champ?"

What a counterpunch from Reyes, BTW.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#1002 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:32 pm

5 KOs in Weidman's last 6 fights. Dude it's time he moves on. His and Rockhold's chin just gave out. Both dudes need to hang it up.

Also what was Greg Hardy's corner thinking? Ya we're going to bring an inhaler in for you, for you to use in between rounds. That is totally normal...

Rumble Johnson vs Greg Hardy. Make it happen. Tired of seeing the UFC feed Hardy bottom barrel talent. Rumble needs a tune up fight for his 265 debut.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#1003 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 am

how you been y’all... I’m so on and off Posting here but always like to pop in....

Can’t wait for this Askren and Maia fight. Super intrigued and I really can’t figure out whose going to win. I want to see an Askren win more than anything though, I don’t see him beating many of the other ranked fighters otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#1004 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 am

It’s finally time for me to admit it.... my man Rory is just not the same fighter. I am not going to use the whole he hasn’t been the same since the Lawler fight since his performance against Neiman was really good, but the Rory I fell in love with was just a straight killer. I know Lima is criminally underrated, but I was expecting a far better performance from Rory. He straight up got shut out that night.

This was also the first time he was an underdog at WW. Crazy run.

On a positive note, my wife Randa Markos picked up a huge win... looks like she will continue to be in the UFC.

Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1005 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 8, 2019 4:39 pm

Honestly this Volkov/Hardy fight isn't something that should be sanctioned IMO.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1006 » by Bernman » Fri Nov 8, 2019 7:37 pm

REDDzone wrote:Honestly this Volkov/Hardy fight isn't something that should be sanctioned IMO.

famous last words...
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1007 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 8, 2019 10:07 pm

Yea, obviously Hardy will KO him now, but that doesn't take away from my point. We are talking about 6 fights vs 37 fights. Also they showed a graphic that said something like Volkov lands more significant strikes per fight than Hardy has ever landed in his career or some crazy sh*t lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#1008 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Nov 9, 2019 2:46 pm

If Volkov loses I’ll be so upset. He was just a few seconds away from challenging for a title before Lewis KO’d him. All things considered in the world of HW’s, Volkov is one of the best.

Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1009 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 9, 2019 9:05 pm

Russian fighters getting merked in Russia so far. Thats a rarity.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#1010 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Nov 9, 2019 9:40 pm

Hardy did better then I expected.

Volkov won the decision though.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1011 » by Bernman » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:16 pm

Zabit really punked out to negotiate for a 3 rd fight in a main event, and the UFC never should have given him special treatment. We gotta see a 5-rd rematch. The fight was turning in Kattar's favor in the 3rd rd. 50/50 he wins a 5-rounder.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1012 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:16 pm

Why main event only 3 rds? Kattar was coming on at the end.

Also was wondering why kattar didn't swing to omoplata at the end when Zabit put his own arm there for him. I guess he wanted to score with punches but a sweep and finishing on top scores too. Maybe he just didn't want to get into a scramble with Zabit?
MystikSpiral
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#1013 » by MystikSpiral » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:18 pm

Zabit just got exposed in a way...too small of a gastank to be a champion. First guy to really pressure him in the later rounds will finish him...If he ever agrees to a 5 round fight, that is...
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1014 » by Bernman » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:20 pm

REDDzone wrote:Why main event only 3 rds? Kattar was coming on at the end.

Also was wondering why kattar didn't swing to omoplata at the end when Zabit put his own arm there for him. I guess he wanted to score with punches but a sweep and finishing on top scores too. Maybe he just didn't want to get into a scramble with Zabit?

Otherwise he's not above average on the ground. The average mma'ist wouldn't even try that move. It's low % to hit for even the high-level guys. Yeah, could turn it into a sweep. Thinking about damage/finishes at that point. Maybe could have worked for a triangle, but Zabit was keeping it tight on purpose. Almost swung his hips for an armbar attempt at the end. Probably his best chance after he got taken down on that suspect flying knee attempt. Then it's highly likely Zabit just shucks it off and gets in side control where he's more dominant.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1015 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:28 pm

Bernman wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Why main event only 3 rds? Kattar was coming on at the end.

Otherwise he's not above average on the ground. The average mma'ist wouldn't even try that move. It's low % to hit for even the high-level guys. Yeah, could turn it into a sweep. Thinking about damage/finishes at that point. Maybe could have worked for a triangle, but Zabit was keeping it tight on purpose. Almost swung his hips for an armbar attempt at the end. Probably his best chance after he got taken down on that suspect flying knee attempt. Then it's highly likely Zabit just shucks it off and gets in side control where he's more dominant.

Safe to say I wasn't advocating he use it as a submission since I said he should use it as a sweep in the post lol, the sub almost never happens in MMA/nogi, but it's not low percentage as a sweep. I may have to watch again but Zabit had his arms extended backwards past Kattars hips as far as I can remember, no armbars there really, and you would have to telegraph the triangle too much IMO by going to wrist control, omoplata would just require bringing your leg (already free) across his shoulder and sitting up. Maybe a slight face push depending on flexibility.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#1016 » by Bernman » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:33 pm

REDDzone wrote:Safe to say I wasn't advocating he use it as a submission since I said he should use it as a sweep in the post lol, the sub almost never happens in MMA/nogi, but it's not low percentage as a sweep. I may have to watch again but Zabit had his arms extended backwards past Kattars hips as far as I can remember, no armbars there really, and you would have to telegraph the triangle too much IMO by going to wrist control, omoplata would just require bringing your leg (already free) across his shoulder and sitting up. Maybe a slight face push depending on flexibility.

But my point about it being virtually pointless using it as a sweep was there was only 10 seconds left at that juncture. Wouldn't have set up a finish, so served little purpose. What led to a finish had to be Kattar's lone mindset.

Kattar did put Zabit at a little armbar danger by the end. If the arm is available for an omoplata, it should be for an armbar.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1017 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:36 pm

There was more time than that but that's a good point. He wasn't finishing at that point regardless though.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1018 » by REDDzone » Sat Nov 9, 2019 10:40 pm

Bernman wrote:Kattar did put Zabit at a little armbar danger by the end. If the arm is available for an omoplata, it should be for an armbar.

There aren't absolutes but generally speaking if you are going for armbar from guard you have their elbow isolated on or past the centerline of your torso. Whereas the omoplata you want to basically put their hand in your pocket. I'll have to rewatch, I didn't see what you're referring to here.

Edit: I just rewatched and he did grab wrist control to go triangle twice but Zabit postured out both times. I see what you're talking about now, the motion he used at the end looked like an armbar but he didn't have control of the arm lol soooo he would have been shooting an omoplata on the OPPOSITE arm (not the arm it looked like he was trying to armbar) if he wanted but ran out of time.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#1019 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:20 am

Kattar is legit and underheralded.

I agree with the criticism of this being a 3rder. Kattar had Zabit reeling a bit in that third. Was hurting him to the body all night. Coulda definitely taken the fight in rounds 4 and 5.

Zabit claims a staph infection prevented him training for a 5er. OK. If it's a matter of him fighting or not, he's got some leverage. What can the UFC say? I don't think I'm in favour of 5 rd non-titles anyway given the toll on fighters that comes *with no increase in pay*. Eff that. Those final two rounds are worse for your health than the first three and pose significantly more risk. Kattar prolly got, what, 50K for 3 rds? The same for 5? Nonsense.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1020 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:40 am

^^^ are you sure there is no increase in pay? I know for 100% fact that I heard an MMA media member say you get an extra $50k for being in a main event 5 rounder. Maybe they were wrong, but that's what they were claiming and I'm pretty sure it was Ariel.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts