Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#1021 » by Jasen777 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 am

REDDzone wrote:^^^ are you sure there is no increase in pay? I know for 100% fact that I heard an MMA media member say you get an extra $50k for being in a main event 5 rounder. Maybe they were wrong, but that's what they were claiming and I'm pretty sure it was Ariel.

Maybe someone did, but I'd have to doubt that's a standard clause the UFC puts in contracts.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1022 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:36 am

Why would anyone ever take the 5 rounder? I honestly don't even think MMA fighters are that stupid to fight 10 minutes for free lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1023 » by Jasen777 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:46 am

REDDzone wrote:Why would anyone ever take the 5 rounder? I honestly don't even think MMA fighters are that stupid to fight 10 minutes for free lol.

Well we don't really know with the contract secrecy. I just don't see the UFC paying money it doesn't have to. That seems less likely to me than fighters making possibly poor financial/risk management decisions.

Fighters might due it for the main fight publicity. For some fighters it could be the first time their promoter will have to promote them.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1024 » by Jasen777 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 am

Only thing I could find was Gaethje implying that he gets $25k more for his main events but he doesn't think that's enough for the extra rounds.

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/1/28/18201022/ufc-justin-gaethje-case-higher-headliner-pay-pass-away-in-rounds-four-five-mma
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#1025 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm

There’s some fun fights coming up in a couple days...

I’m really interested in how Jacare does moving up. I want to see him get a title shot so badly in the ufc but this is a really tough matchup... curious to see how they matchup during the weigh ins. Cardio is a huge issue for Jacare still, so 5 rounds will not do him any favours.

Jan has the most underrated jab, I can see him using it heavily to keep Jacare at a distance and at worst out point him as Jacare fades in the later rounds.

Won’t be surprised at all to see Shogun win, Paul Craig is awful and don’t think his BJJ will be as much as a threat against Rua...

Bobby Green is my favourite non contending fighter. Love me some King Green action. Shoulder roll to avoid strikes. It’s so risky in mma but the reason why I like him, this man has been through so much in his life too. I’m so happy he’s back, but what a tough matchup. Trinaldo should still
Be ranked because he got absolutely robbed against Hernandez

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1026 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:15 pm

Charles Oliveira legit a HOF fighter? He's a like differently cringy Cerrone. Without some of the big names but with a far better record and some big finishes.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1027 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 pm

I don't know why I keep watching this bareknuckle ****. It's super wrong and gross. Almost every fight led to terrible damage. The ratio of damage to showcase is not good. So why? Other than to see people suffer and bleed.

This Feldman guy is a POS. Dear Jesus: dick cancer for this guy, plz n thx.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1028 » by Jasen777 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 am

cowboyronnie wrote:I don't know why I keep watching this bareknuckle ****. It's super wrong and gross.

They just signed the Iranian Hulk. They're apparently having tryouts to find an opponent for him if you're interested.

REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1029 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:02 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Charles Oliveira legit a HOF fighter? He's a like differently cringy Cerrone. Without some of the big names but with a far better record and some big finishes.

Heard he's throwing shade at Kron, would love to see that fight. Since the Rickson myth will unfortunately never be busted, I'll take watching Kron get beat up.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#1030 » by Susan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Charles Oliveira legit a HOF fighter? He's a like differently cringy Cerrone. Without some of the big names but with a far better record and some big finishes.

Heard he's throwing shade at Kron, would love to see that fight. Since the Rickson myth will unfortunately never be busted, I'll take watching Kron get beat up.

How's it a myth? Pre-MMA he could have easily been the best fighter in the world and respected BJJ players have spoken extremely highly of his abilities.

The sport rapidly changed from 1993/94 onwards but from 1980-1994 it's not hard to imagine that he was the best fighter in the world. Of course marketing and self promotion blew that out of proportion but Royce winning UFC 1&2 kind of proved BJJs superiority as a well rounded fighting art over boxing, wrestling and other arts.

I do wonder how well an elite combat samboist would have done if they entered those early tournaments.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1031 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Susan wrote:How's it a myth? Pre-MMA he could have easily been the best fighter in the world and respected BJJ players have spoken extremely highly of his abilities.

The sport rapidly changed from 1993/94 onwards but from 1980-1994 it's not hard to imagine that he was the best fighter in the world. Of course marketing and self promotion blew that out of proportion but Royce winning UFC 1&2 kind of proved BJJs superiority as a well rounded fighting art over boxing, wrestling and other arts.

I do wonder how well an elite combat samboist would have done if they entered those early tournaments.

Look at who he ACTUALLY fought man. It's a whose who of nobodies, all while avoiding the avid callouts of legitimate fighters like Bas Rutten, Marco Ruas and Sakuraba for years. Also while claiming to be 300-0 in which even his own father Helio said was bullsh*t lol.

Your answer as to how a combat samboist would do was answered by Oleg Taktarov when he won UFC 6 BTW. They weren't about to have guys like Ruas and Oleg in that tournament until Royce was long gone though.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#1032 » by Jasen777 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:43 pm

REDDzone wrote:Your answer as to how a combat samboist would do was answered by Oleg Taktarov when he won UFC 6 BTW. They weren't about to have guys like Ruas and Oleg in that tournament until Royce was long gone though.

Those first UFCs were such a set-up. I'm actually sorta surprised they let Shamrock in, TBF at UFC 1 he apparently didn't know what a rear naked choke was.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1033 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Your answer as to how a combat samboist would do was answered by Oleg Taktarov when he won UFC 6 BTW. They weren't about to have guys like Ruas and Oleg in that tournament until Royce was long gone though.

Those first UFCs were such a set-up. I'm actually sorta surprised they let Shamrock in, TBF at UFC 1 he apparently didn't know what a rear naked choke was.

Yea, that's a myth much like Rickson. Ken Shamrock had 3-5 fights in Japan at Pancrase before he fought in the UFC. He even had a win by RNC before UFC 1. :lol:
Susan
RealGM

Post#1034 » by Susan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:How's it a myth? Pre-MMA he could have easily been the best fighter in the world and respected BJJ players have spoken extremely highly of his abilities.

Look at who he ACTUALLY fought man. It's a whose who of nobodies, all while avoiding the avid callouts of legitimate fighters like Bas Rutten, Marco Ruas and Sakuraba for years. Also while claiming to be 300-0 in which even his own father Helio said was bullsh*t lol.

Your answer as to how a combat samboist would do was answered by Oleg Taktarov when he won UFC 6 BTW. They weren't about to have guys like Ruas and Oleg in that tournament until Royce was long gone though.

Bas didn't start fighting until 1993. Sakuraba in 1996.

By the time UFC 1 hit, Rickson was 35. Once UFC 1 hit, it changed the fighting world. It's wildly understood that Rickson was the best BJJ practitioner in his family/Brazil in his peak and Rocye's early success in the UFC (beating Dan Severn by triangle was no joke of a victory) kind of solidified BJJ as the early dominant fighting art.

Was Rickson the best fighter in the world in 1997? Hell no, he was 39 and the sport caught up and passed the Gracies by in those 4 years. But consdiering the early success that Royce and Rickson had in 1993-95, and Rickson's dominance in the family, it's completely realistic that he was one of the baddest men in the world from his early 20s to his mid 30s. It's just that the sport was a baby and Rickson talks a little crazy because that's what the world was pre-internet.

Severn beat Oleg 2x and he was in UFC 4.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1035 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Susan wrote:Bas didn't start fighting until 1993. Sakuraba in 1996.

By the time UFC 1 hit, Rickson was 35. Once UFC 1 hit, it changed the fighting world. It's wildly understood that Rickson was the best BJJ practitioner in his family/Brazil in his peak and Rocye's early success in the UFC (beating Dan Severn by triangle was no joke of a victory) kind of solidified BJJ as the early dominant fighting art.

Was Rickson the best fighter in the world in 1997? Hell no, he was 39 and the sport caught up and passed the Gracies by in those 4 years. But consdiering the early success that Royce and Rickson had in 1993-95, and Rickson's dominance in the family, it's completely realistic that he was one of the baddest men in the world from his early 20s to his mid 30s. It's just that the sport was a baby and Rickson talks a little crazy because that's what the world was pre-internet.

So Rickson was the best in the world literally until there came to be a way to prove it? He fought until 2000 and literally claimed in 2010 that he could STILL submit Brock and Fedor. That's the mythical stuff I'm talking about. I'm sure he was a good fighter, but we'd be guessing because his resume doesn't prove it.

Honestly I'd probably take Renzo over Rickson if anything. He had a similar record as Rickson before he eventually lost, and he has at least 5 wins that are better than any single win of Rickson's.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1036 » by Susan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:07 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:Bas didn't start fighting until 1993. Sakuraba in 1996.

So Rickson was the best in the world literally until there came to be a way to prove it? He fought until 2000 and literally claimed in 2010 that he could STILL submit Brock and Fedor. That's the mythical stuff I'm talking about. I'm sure he was a good fighter, but we'd be guessing because his resume doesn't prove it.

Honestly I'd probably take Renzo over Rickson if anything. He had a similar record as Rickson before he eventually lost, and he has at least 5 wins that are better than any single win of Rickson's.

In the infancy stages and before, he was regarded as the best. Royce has better wins (Severn), do you regard Rickson as better?

Rickson was bigger and 10 years older. The family said Rickson was best, Renzo came up in his prime when the sport was a thing. Rickson said a lot of dumb things but still think he was one of the baddest men on the planet in the early 90s.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1037 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:47 pm

"The family" also said Helio literally invented leverage. And you may be right about him being the baddest man on the planet, but it isn't backed up by anything but speculation and tall tales. To argue that this guy's myth isn't bigger than the reality doesn't make sense. Hell, cammo has him on his list as one of the best MMA fighters ever. Can you imagine???

As for Rickson vs. Royce...Of the Helio sons, Royce is the best p4p MMA fighter and Royler is the best p4p BJJ competitor. Rickson is probably the best p4p marketer though.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1038 » by Susan » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:21 am

REDDzone wrote:"The family" also said Helio literally invented leverage. And you may be right about him being the baddest man on the planet, but it isn't backed up by anything but speculation and tall tales. To argue that this guy's myth isn't bigger than the reality doesn't make sense. Hell, cammo has him on his list as one of the best MMA fighters ever. Can you imagine???

As for Rickson vs. Royce...Of the Helio sons, Royce is the best p4p MMA fighter and Royler is the best p4p BJJ competitor. Rickson is probably the best p4p marketer though.

IBJJF came out in 1996 when Rickson was 38.

And yes, before UFC 1 (or the other MMA promotions that came out around that time) everything was based on stories/speculation.

Why the heck would the entire family defer to Rickson when talking about why they chose Royce over Rickson? For Rickson's legacy/ego?
Susan
RealGM

Post#1039 » by Susan » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:25 am

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:"The family" also said Helio literally invented leverage. And you may be right about him being the baddest man on the planet, but it isn't backed up by anything but speculation and tall tales. To argue that this guy's myth isn't bigger than the reality doesn't make sense. Hell, cammo has him on his list as one of the best MMA fighters ever. Can you imagine???

IBJJF came out in 1996 when Rickson was 38.

And yes, before UFC 1 (or the other MMA promotions that came out around that time) everything was based on stories/speculation.

Why the heck would the entire family defer to Rickson when talking about why they chose Royce over Rickson? For Rickson's legacy/ego?

What's Jean Jaques Machado know? REDDzone can look at Sherdog and Royce's record is far superior.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1040 » by REDDzone » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:41 pm

Susan wrote:IBJJF came out in 1996 when Rickson was 38.

Okay cool, I have no interest in arguing over speculation with you. We can't agree on whose the best fighter now, much less who is the best fighter in pre-history LOL. (I'll take Frank Dux for the record.)

I do want to know what you mean by the bolded statement though. Because speaking of myths, another myth is that the reason why they chose Royce over Rickson is because Rickson was bigger and they wanted to show a small bjj guy beating up bigger guys from other arts. The reality is that Rickson/Rorion had conflict over money which is what led to Royce taking the fight, and when later they resolved their issue, Rickson wanted way more money to fight in the UFC than they were willing to pay him.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts