Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy UFC Events Thread 

Post#61 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 3, 2017 2:02 am

Another Mairbek Taisumov fight, another matchup with a guy I've never heard of who has about as many total fights as Taisumov has UFC fights. When are they going to give this guy a fight against someone that matters?

Also, Struve now with 7 TKO losses to go with his leaking heart and broken jaw...all before 30.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#62 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 3, 2017 3:20 pm

Struve needed to retire, yesterday.

Volkov: another good cut by Bellator. The guy is now a borderline contender in UFC, like Oezdemir. How good is Minakov? Real good.

UFC needs help with their promotion, card structure, and matchmaking these days too. Speaking of Taisumov, when are they going to make progress w/ Prazeres? Prazeres beat Taisumov.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#63 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 3, 2017 5:37 pm

IDK good call though. They have a habit of just socking some of these guys away on terrible international fight pass cards once or twice a year against nobodies.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#64 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 3, 2017 8:46 pm

I think they have trouble transferring the marketability for their international or fight pass card fighters with their ppv's and prime-time televised ones. It's the drawback of having their finger in too many pies. All their visibility dies. Something to be said about the k.i.s.s. method. But they want to monetize everything immediately and horde talent to keep it from their competitors.

But in this case, why not just have Prazeres face off against Khabilov, and put it on the main card over some of that riffraff? They didn't have to keep the crappy women's fight high up after GDR bowed out. It was only there because of her. So it was partly a scheduling decision issue.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#65 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Sep 4, 2017 3:45 am

Magomedsharipov! Bruh. A JJ-like debut. Crazy creativity both on his feet and in the wresting. Mean too. Going after naked chokes every chance he got, with what looked like a real good squeeze. Relaxed, stamina, relentless after finishes. With Mark Henry, Ricardo Almeida in his corner.

Called out Lobov. LOL. Why bother?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#66 » by Jasen777 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 3:59 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Called out Lobov. LOL. Why bother?

Lobov is the poor man's red panty night.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#67 » by REDDzone » Tue Sep 5, 2017 1:22 pm

Lobov is going to do a boxing match with Amir Khan last I heard, why would he bother with Nurmagomedsharipov?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#68 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:15 pm

So it Tiago Alves completely shot at this point? I'm just not a believer in Mike Perry or his striking technique (outside of insanity level power). I think Alves technical skills are superior but not clear if he's lost a step timing wise. I noticed Perry was a favorite so debating a play on Alves.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#69 » by Bernman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm

REDDzone wrote:So it Tiago Alves completely shot at this point? I'm just not a believer in Mike Perry or his striking technique (outside of insanity level power). I think Alves technical skills are superior but not clear if he's lost a step timing wise. I noticed Perry was a favorite so debating a play on Alves.

LOL...I just read about that fight for the first time, and it was about how it was canceled.

Don't worry, it was just Alves, not Platinum. Desperately trying to keep him on the card so he can keep shining.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#70 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Are you serious? I haven't read that yet but iirc Alves was refusing to leave FL early or something similar.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#71 » by Bernman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:Are you serious? I haven't read that yet but iirc Alves was refusing to leave FL early or something similar.

Yeah, I saw it on the Wiki page for the event, but it's backed up by the MMA News Twitter wire.

You really should dark bet Perry now so the MMA betting gods don't haunt you for contemplating a play against him.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#72 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 pm

REDDzone wrote:Are you serious? I haven't read that yet but iirc Alves was refusing to leave FL early or something similar.

Ariel really called this perfectly on the MMA hour.
Thank you Clutch0z24
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#73 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 am

Fair. He didn't want to leave his wife, child, or men's health doctor behind.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#74 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Some entertaining fights and thrilling finishes last night. "See, you fools should watch every ufc event because you don't know how the fights are going to play out until after".

- Rockhold showed weakness in boxing range, but still a contender for overall game.
- Let Perry bang bro again very soon.
- Typical Lombard fight lately, dominates, and then gasses/folds late.
- This Gillespie guy looks like he could be the next Edgar.
- Give Usman a step up already. It looks easy for him against mid-tier talent.
- Jotko was making quick work of Hall, then he got stupid/over-aggressive. Ill-advised td and blew wad.
- Blackzillians must have the best masking agents in the game.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#75 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:10 am

Yeah, jeez, Rockhold out-grappled a Gracie bb with ease. Sliced his guard, took his back, flattened him out in moments. I think whatshisface had Rockhold really hurt via punches in the first, could have definitely finished him but tried to transition into a TD. He had caught Rockhold clean with combos across the chin.

Rockhold classless in victory. Eyeballing the dude, mouthing. What an ass****.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#76 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 pm

When a lot of animosity goes into these fights, I understand why people would act that way when they beat their opponent.

Not a boxing fan, I watched this whole event instead of the canelo-ggg fight. Really fun night of fights with a lot of finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#77 » by REDDzone » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Meh, I always thought the Rockhold douche thing was schtick but I just can't sympathize with still being aggressive towards someone that you stop with strikes. Like wtf issues do you have right now that you didn't just solve in literally the most primitive way possible?

It doesn't hurt that I became a fan of Branch in the weeks leading up to this fight (I always thought he was sort of a wet blanket). Extremely thoughtful dude who continued this thoughtfulness with his explanation of why he tapped to strikes - he was taking damage and could not escape so chose to fight another day. Also, when he went on Ariel's show and was frank with Ariel about why he didn't like him/other media, that was hilarious. Listen yourself because I forget the exact quote but he basically said he realized he had to play the game but Ariel was just a dude who doesn't know sh*t about fighting. lol. Its funny because I think Ariel is the best in the game but my one criticism is his seeming lack of even basic knowledge of fight techniques.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#78 » by REDDzone » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:40 pm

So Okami is moving up from 170 to fight OSP at 205? Also, had to laugh at ufc promotional material I saw yesterday "Don't sleep on Okami's KO power" then shows a clip from a decade ago when Okami KOed Evan Tanner.

lol.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#79 » by Susan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Guys, Saki

I only saw the last 20 seconds, gunna watch it all now but what'd y'all think. Lookin @ u cr
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#80 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:10 am

That was half decent night of fights. Ya, Saki was off the hook. Lol at another choke by OVP.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts