Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series 

Post#1 » by Jasen777 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:32 am

debuts July 11 on UFC Fight Pass with 5 live fights a week

Not exactly sure what this will be but sounds like a mini minor league (which is something they have needed). Might let them sign rawer prospects like Bellator can.

“Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series” will debut July 11 on UFC Fight Pass, the promotion’s online digital service, the promotion announced on Friday. The weekly series will include five live fights each episode with a focus on not only MMA prospects, but veteran fighters hoping to work their way back to the big show.

“This sport continues to get bigger all over the world, and the more fights we can put on, the more talent we can find, the better the events will be for the fans,” White stated. “I love looking for up-and-coming talent. This show’s going to give us another opportunity to bring in young fighters who we think have potential to make it in the UFC or maybe even one day become world champions.

“It’ll also give some fighters who might be in a slump or on their way out of the organization an opportunity for that last shot. I truly can’t watch enough fights and I think our fans will love this new Fight Pass show.”
Jasen777
Head Coach

Re: Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series 

Post#2 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:44 am

So this happened.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#3 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I tried to watch and got about 15 minutes in before turning it off. It didn't grab me. What the UFC needs to do instead of bringing in random fighters is to use these cards essentially as a minor league for fighters on their own roster. There are tons of young fighters already in the UFC who could use this type of exposure. Give me a 4 fight card with guys like that fighting each other.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 pm

How it is I don't get it, they aren't developing fighters, they can't put the next 0-0 wrestling phenom on here or get the next Northcutt several fights (including losses)? They're just putting a guy's last LFA fight on fightpass before signing them. Content for fightpass I guess, but otherwise I don't see how it helps.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#5 » by Bernman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:45 am

Dang, I missed it tonight. I didn't realize they had guys like Sean O'Malley and Thanh Le on. Saw their last fights in LFA and they were sick. Thanh Le was one of the most powerful body kickers p4p I've ever seen, and O'Malley was just flowing from one move to the next, throwing everything but the kitchen sink at his opponent. Both won their fights tonight by ko, apparently. O'Malley got a contract, Le didn't for whatever reason. Feel like that was a mistake. They'll regret it if he gets snapped up ultimately. O'Malley could be an impact player at bw, which is not the deepest division. Kind of a drop-off from fw.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:02 am

Thanh seems like the exact type of guy Dana would fall in love with. I'm shocked he isn't signed.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Bernman
RealGM

Post#7 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 2, 2017 5:56 pm

The LFA guys are killers. You're proving more succeeding there than you are in this competition. It's like the main point of this is so Dana can sit in the crowd and then everyone has to look at him afterward for his approval like he's Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#8 » by Bernman » Sun May 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Expect the LFA guys to virtually clean up again. It's a step down for them. Anthony Hernandez, Alonzo Menifield, Kevin Holland, Ryan Spann, Jamall Emmers, Alton Cunningham, and Juan Adams are ones to watch off the top of my head. Some fun cards here, especially those first two.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/promotions/2026-dana-whites-contender-series-dwcs
Bernman
RealGM

Post#9 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 am

So, this is happening.

First fight won by Holland who cruised, but didn't turn it up and effectively use his reach much of the time.

Guy is about to fight from RZ's gym - Montel Jackson.

Fellow Wisconsinite and fellow former NFL player Austen Lane is facing Greg Hardy. They are even odds. Seems like Lane is a good bet there. A lot more experience and he's been killing fools. Hardy carries the name.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#10 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:10 am

Jackson pulls off the upset. And he overcame a lot in the fight. 2 points taken away for borderline fouls. One potentially stopped a finish. Came back to dominate, but still may have needed a finish in the 3rd. And he showed the clutchness.

Apparently was an olympic trialist wrestler, and he showed some nice body lock td's, mat returns, wrestling ride, gnp. But most of the fight was on the feet and he crushed Disculio there too. Flashed a decent jab and set up liver kicks and step knees w/ straight fakes, before swarming Disculio while he was hurt. Some real ability to be a player at bantamweight there and should get a contract.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#11 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 am

Damn, Hardy got the early KO. Lane was looking good with his movement and jab, but he tried some foolish switch stance ineffectual straight left to put him out of position, and Hardy clubbed him. Lane probably still has a future in the UFC. Just has to not get cute. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Hardy because it was one strike and one win.

Read on Twitter
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#12 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:29 am

Bernman wrote:Guy is about to fight from RZ's gym - Montel Jackson.

Hm fwiw it's worth I've rolled with the kid and occasionally train with those guys at open mat but we don't train out of the same gym.

Seems like a good prospect though, I'll be rooting for him.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#13 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 am

REDDzone wrote:
Bernman wrote:Guy is about to fight from RZ's gym - Montel Jackson.

Hm fwiw it's worth I've rolled with the kid and occasionally train with those guys at open mat but we don't train out of the same gym.

Seems like a good prospect though, I'll be rooting for him.

Seems like a good prospect, even though he doesn't train at your gym? :D

Don't you trane at PuraVida? You show pride in it and talk about their products a lot.

You didn't say what you thought of him while rolling. If you can be a competitive with him you must have gotten pretty good because he looked slick at the wrestling aspect at least. Although I would have liked to have seen him sink the hooks. Preferred the wrestling ride.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#14 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:56 am

Curtis with the fancy high kick ko. Isn't this a crescent kick? (should get the contract, has been on the brink forever, I think he was on Bellator's FightMaster)

Read on Twitter
Bernman
RealGM

Post#15 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 am

Menifield murdered that guy. Countered a high kick off the bat. Crazy reflexes and power. Normally you see him throwing dudes around. Overdue for a contract and adds a lot of spice to the UFC's LHW division.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#16 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:06 am

Bernman wrote:Seems like a good prospect, even though he doesn't train at your gym? :D

Don't you trane at PuraVida? You show pride in it and talk about their products a lot.

You didn't say what you thought of him while rolling. If you can be a competitive with him you must have gotten pretty good because he looked slick at the wrestling aspect at least. Although I would have liked to have seen him sink the hooks. Preferred the wrestling ride.

No I don't train at PuraVida but we have a decent amount of crossover with them though. Some of their guys who want more grappling focus cross train with us and some of our guys who want more MMA centric work go there. Martial arts is a small world in Wisconsin, my instructor trained there back when it was ran by Henry Matamoros.

I actually thought this guy was at Red's though so that shows how behind the time I am. It's been a long time and only happened once but I think he footlocked me actually.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#17 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:17 am

Menifield got a contract, and Hardy got a development deal (whatever that means). Really sucks for Curtis. He's kind of in limbo being such a grizzled vet with 25 fights. Jackson I don't feel as bad for at 6-0. He can probably go to LFA for one fight or back to Contender Series. But I think he deserved the call-up w/ his performance and it's a risk cutting him loose.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#18 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 am

I wonder if development deal is like what Dern had where she fights for other promotions on fight pass and UFC pays her way and can call her up when they deem her ready.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#19 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:06 am

REDDzone wrote:I wonder if development deal is like what Dern had where she fights for other promotions on fight pass and UFC pays her way and can call her up when they deem her ready.

That's probably what it is. Send him back to LFA but on a UFC contract. Allows them to not lose their services while they fight people more their pay-grade and under a lower banner. Especially want to avoid a calamity after the Punk-Jackson fight. Although Hardy is a freak athlete. This is where you see the physical ability allowing a fighter to translate very quickly. That's especially true at the higher weights. Diminishes as you move down and most fighters at the highest levels have a combo of athleticism and skill.

The fact that's all it means though is all the more reason they should have signed at least another guy - Curtis or Jackson. 1 true signing when the UFC kind of front-loaded talent to attract viewers for their debut is quite light. I don't think Dana is qualified to be making choices on talent. It's a dysfunctional hierarchy.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#20 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:53 am

Danna gave out 4 contracts tonight, which begs the question why didn't he just give one to Curtis last week after crescent kicking that fool to oblivion? Prompted Curtis' retirement afterward because he gave himself the ultimatum beforehand after a long career.

I guess Danna learned from his mistake at least. Signed Ryan Spann, Anthony Hernandez, Brandon Sayles, and Dwight Grant.

Spann was in a similar position as Curtis after grinding so much. He was facing killers in LFA. Has shown improved striking technique and footwork, but ultimately got the finish trapping Sordi in the well quickly on a guillotine he works well w/ his long arms. I could see him making waves at LHW. Division about get some much needed shots in the arm thru Contender Series/LFA.

Same thing for Hernandez at MW. Already proven a lot beating solid prospect Brendan Allen w/ a well-rounded performance and then pieced up the undefeated LFA product Wright with head movement, boxing combos, and killer instinct.

Grant could do some things at 170 also. A lot of power, good footwork, timing, and fast hands. Got to see more out of the grappling.

Sayles I'm less keen on. Performed well, but wouldn't have signed him off the resume and talent.

Enjoyed 'em again. I do think the posters here are missing out if they don't check out the Contender Series regularly, although feel the same when it comes to LFA.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts