Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series 

Post#21 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:17 am

Bernman wrote: I do think the posters here are missing out if they don't check out the Contender Series regularly, although feel the same when it comes to LFA.

I'm a casual.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#22 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:25 am

Jasen777 wrote:
Bernman wrote: I do think the posters here are missing out if they don't check out the Contender Series regularly, although feel the same when it comes to LFA.

I'm a casual.

I know you and some others are not, which is why I say that. I'm actually looking forward to PFL's card this week again too. They are better events than the only UFC card that's going to be staged during this few week span.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#23 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Bern you are an MMAjunkie. I barely have time/energy to follow UFC main cards, much less UFC/Bellator/LFA/DWTNSC, etc. Maybe its because I pay at least some attention to the grappling scene as well, just don't have the capacity for more. Also doesn't help that I have a two year old and a four month old at home. LOLZ.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#24 » by Bernman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:06 pm

REDDzone wrote:Bern you are an MMAjunkie. I barely have time/energy to follow UFC main cards, much less UFC/Bellator/LFA/DWTNSC, etc. Maybe its because I pay at least some attention to the grappling scene as well, just don't have the capacity for more. Also doesn't help that I have a two year old and a four month old at home. LOLZ.

I enjoy prospects in MMA because they're young and hungry instead of burned out old guys. And in most cases the events can be dvr'ed and watched at one's own convenience. FFW thru many of the fights. Though I don't know what access people have to dvr these. The FP events are archived to the people who have it. The Contender Series when I see it, has to be live personally. I tend not to catch/watch a lot of the UFC FP/Int'l events because those actually aren't that high level of a guy on average, times aren't convenient, and don't have FP. Not going to see this weekend's ufc event. Why I don't have context on almost half of UFC guys on a card these days unlike used to be the case when we'd pick fights.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#25 » by REDDzone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Sorry, to be clear I wasn't evaluating your free time lol, I'm sure I could find the time if I wanted to, just stating that you're a beast when it comes to following MMA.

You're probably right. I'd probably be better off watching the stuff you watch as opposed to mostly UFC main cards. No disrespect to legends like Arlovski but he's a perfect example of a guy I would love to never have to watch fight again. For many reasons.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#26 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 pm

I think the UFC acquired themselves a much needed star in Anthony Hernandez. He had a rough upbringing, he talks like Diaz' slightly more refined cousin (cocky and doesn't give 2-f**ks, and he's super-talented. Good chance at winning the UFC title the Diaz' never did to take him to a higher level of marketability than even they had.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#27 » by qm22 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Side note (and sorry if I reposted this, thought I posted but couldn't see it), but it's interesting in the past there was an emphasis on "The Ultimate Fighter" and now we have "Dana White's ___" for Tuesday Night Contender and looking for a fight, lol. I like the Dana White Looking for a fight show though, free on youtube.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#28 » by Bernman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:36 pm

qm22 wrote:Side note (and sorry if I reposted this, thought I posted but couldn't see it), but it's interesting in the past there was an emphasis on "The Ultimate Fighter" and now we have "Dana White's ___" for Tuesday Night Contender and looking for a fight, lol. I like the Dana White Looking for a fight show though, free on youtube.

It's definitely indicative of his hungriness for attention and power, but aside from his involvement I really like the DWTNCS concept. It's vastly superior to outdated TUF, I'd like to see it be the replacement, and comprise a much greater portion of weeks in the year.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#29 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:20 am

Just randomly looked at the card tonight and realized I train with that Jordan Griffin dude a decent amount. Not sure if he is expected to win or even if his fight already happened or anything.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#30 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 1, 2018 4:49 am

REDDzone wrote:Just randomly looked at the card tonight and realized I train with that Jordan Griffin dude a decent amount. Not sure if he is expected to win or even if his fight already happened or anything.

I missed tonight's show unfortunately. But yeah, saw he won by submission, and got a contract. Trains at Duke Roufusport (and I think a local?). Must have been part of the fighter share. Think he'll do decently in UFC. I've seen him fight in LFA.

3 guys from LFA got contracts and 1 from Bellator prelims (that combo tends to dominate the series) for 4 total contracts. After previously being selective they're handing them out like candy recently. I'd expect to see a big roster purge to not exceed their allotment. But eventually this show could just replace TUF and they'd offset each other. Be the new regular proving ground.

Incidentally, one of the guys they signed is Ian Heinisch, who I think will fortify the mw division which has a lot of up and comers, and I've talked up on here before. He's got a crazy story about his checkered past, which is surprising because I was under the impression he was an unassuming, preppy wrestling prodigy with a cleft palate. https://sports.yahoo.com/news/drug-trafficking-prison-mma-incredible-story-ian-heinisch-184605581.html

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts