Mayweather vs McGregor confirmed

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Mayweather vs McGregor confirmed 

Post#281 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:53 pm

This is going to be so huge. I've had two guys in my office today tell me how they are going to order/watch this. I would be absolutely floored if either one of these two had watched a boxing match (except maybe Floyd/Manny) or any mma event in the last decade. For example, neither guy knows who Canelo is. Both are completely aware that its a spectacle but don't care.

Point is, casuals are eating this up. It feels like a big deal. There is no major sports competition that night. I think there's a good chance it breaks the record.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#282 » by Bernman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:10 pm

REDDzone wrote:This is going to be so huge. I've had two guys in my office today tell me how they are going to order/watch this. I would be absolutely floored if either one of these two had watched a boxing match (except maybe Floyd/Manny) or any mma event in the last decade. For example, neither guy knows who Canelo is. Both are completely aware that its a spectacle but don't care.

Point is, casuals are eating this up. It feels like a big deal. There is no major sports competition that night. I think there's a good chance it breaks the record.

This is why combat sports promoters make so many attempts to pull off crossovers, into both the mainstream and other sports. That's such a huge factor into what types of buy and rating potential an event has. Because you're already going to get the hardcores, and that's a small % of the prospective fan base. If you track it, it's really a lot about if you got on one of the late night talk shows and espn's.

Of course, the talk in the lead-up also helps immensely to generate buzz and give people a rooting interest one way or another. That feeds how many talking points those who don't even know the sport much have.

This stuff is more important than the fight quality, unfortunately. People knew the m.o. about Mayweather, but they still came in droves to watch the fight vs. Pacman and Canelo. It's stopping few in this situation too. Neither is the perception that Conor doesn't have a chance, even though he trains boxing regularly as part of his own sport, the fact that a few have his fights have been almost exclusively boxing, his power, size, age, confidence, unconventional style, etc. Those factors combined at least give him a realistic chance, even if Floyd still warrants being a huge favorite.

General sport's fan or even member of society doesn't want to miss out on the social events of the season. Look what kind of hype the eclipse drew beyond astronomy buffs for what was brief, and while rare, rather unremarkable, imo. How many people care about Pokemon Go anymore?
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#283 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:14 pm

^^ This is a good post but I do disagree with one point. People - as in casuals, did NOT know the MO about Mayweather IMO. At least not anecdotally. I watched with multiple casuals and they were all super pumped "This is going to be a f*cking war!" and were all dumbfounded as the fight went on "Wow how is this so boring?". Floyd fools fight fans going into every fight, but some of his fights extend beyond fight fans to the casual of casuals, and their ignorance is to his advantage.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Post#284 » by Bostondave » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Oh bullshut. Mayweather will run and focus on not getting hit as always. What a sorryass spectacle for suckers. Now they're playing the WWE shoutdown after the weighin. Gotta squeze the last drip drop of milk out of the suckers. Dont know if i'll even watch for free. Maybe if i'm not doing anything and am bored and i remember right around fight time i might tune in. I can get the fight for free. Might just play some internet poker or watch a movie instead.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#285 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:17 pm

Bostondave wrote:Oh bullshut. Mayweather will run and focus on not getting hit as always. What a sorryass spectacle for suckers. Now they're playing the WWE shoutdown after the weighin. Gotta squeze the last drip drop of milk out of the suckers. Dont know if i'll even watch for free. Maybe if i'm not doing anything and am bored and i remember right around fight time i might tune in. I can get the fight for free. Might just play some internet poker or watch a movie instead.

Lmao. If you don't watxh, it'll be just to prove you didn't, and you'll check your phone through the whole match.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#286 » by Jim Dolan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:12 am

mcgregor looked drained....ill be interested to see how much he weighs on fight night

not the best Floyd has looked, but thats understandable given his age
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#287 » by CjayC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:57 am

Floyd looked exactly the same as other weigh ins.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#288 » by Jasen777 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:44 am

Jim Dolan wrote:mcgregor looked drained....ill be interested to see how much he weighs on fight night

He looked worse when he made 145. Shouldn't be a factor in the fight.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#289 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:48 am

Bostondave wrote:Oh bullshut. Mayweather will run and focus on not getting hit as always. What a sorryass spectacle for suckers. Now they're playing the WWE shoutdown after the weighin. Gotta squeze the last drip drop of milk out of the suckers. Dont know if i'll even watch for free. Maybe if i'm not doing anything and am bored and i remember right around fight time i might tune in. I can get the fight for free. Might just play some internet poker or watch a movie instead.

Pirating sports streams on the internet, internet poker, watching a movie. Saturday niiiiiiiiiiight options for non-suckers.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#290 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:29 am

Does anybody think this might end in 10 seconds? Or would Mayweather sandbag for 2 rounds just for people to be entertained?

Only argument for McGregor:

There are some things that can beat smartness and foresight? Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot.

- Mark Twain
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#291 » by Jasen777 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:49 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Does anybody think this might end in 10 seconds? Or would Mayweather sandbag for 2 rounds just for people to be entertained?

There are some things that can beat smartness and foresight? Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot.

- Mark Twain

Always thought that quote was B.S.
Dry_Fish
RealGM
And1: 8,377

Post#292 » by Dry_Fish » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:35 am

If people are expecting a knock out, they are going to be disappointed. I suspect Floyd will be very defensive as Mcgregor is looking for a knock out as he can't win on points.

Also boxing has too many rules for that quote to make any sense and floyd isn't afraid of a boring fight to engage or do something risky
Rashoismydad
Junior
And1: 78

Post#293 » by Rashoismydad » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Does anybody think this might end in 10 seconds? Or would Mayweather sandbag for 2 rounds just for people to be entertained?

- Mark Twain

As somebody who played poker professionally I can attest to this being very true. While bad players were typically "easy work", sometimes their foolish plays would pay off for them because they would be disguised to anybody versed in the game.

In my view Conor has a chance because of this. Unorthodox timing, spacing, and punching angles could throw Floyd off and shouldnt be overlooked. Conor isnt a great boxer but hes a great striker, and when a fist hits a skull it doesnt run a check against their boxing skill to determine how much it hurts. The other thing he has to his advantage is tape on 50 fights where he can study exactly how Floyd is going to fight. Floyd is going to have to get in the ring and just figure it out on the fly and I dont think thats as easy as people are making it out to be.

I think Floyd wins in a decision, the fight is mostly boring with some sh*t talking both ways. Conor tries to goad Floyd and mocks him for running away, Floyd tries to dance on him and pick him apart and is mostly successful. I dont see a way Floyd KOs Conor, but a stoppage could be possible if he figures him out and starts cutting him up. And theres always a small chance Conor catches him and just sleeps him, anybody who doesnt believe so simply doesnt live in the real world.
Shadilay
Rashoismydad
Junior

Post#294 » by Rashoismydad » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Dry_Fish wrote:If people are expecting a knock out, they are going to be disappointed. I suspect Floyd will be very defensive as Mcgregor is looking for a knock out as he can't win on points.

Also boxing has too many rules for that quote to make any sense and floyd isn't afraid of a boring fight to engage or do something risky

Conor has 50 fight tapes to watch to see exactly what Floyd is going to do, Floyd has nothing and is going to have to figure it out on the fly. Thats not saying he cant/wont, but I dont think its such a laughably easy thing like some people try to paint it. Floyd is great avoiding punches from boxers, at boxing range, from boxing angles and with boxing timing.

I dont know, I just feel like its a bigger problem than people acknowledge. Go do anything repeatedly one way until you are great at doing it that one way, then throw a wrinkle in...it can totally f*ck you up until you adjust. Its far easier for Mcgregor to prepate for what Floyd is going to do than vice versa, because nobody knows wtf Conor is going to do and everybody knows what Floyd will do.
Shadilay
Dry_Fish
RealGM
And1: 8,377

Post#295 » by Dry_Fish » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:09 pm

I've seen Floyd's fight, he doesn't take many risk to make him pay from suppose odd angle and such. It's not like Conor has never thrown a punch on tape before...

To use a poker analogy...Floyd a grinder. You are never going to make these type of players lose much. Conor has a better chance against a prime Pacman due to the style of fighting.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#296 » by jirrit » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Anyone know the exact time of the fight? Since I'm working and I'm in Europe I'd like to know when it all starts cause I'm assuming there will be many show and commercial stuff before the actual fight.
Rashoismydad
Junior

Post#297 » by Rashoismydad » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Dry_Fish wrote:I've seen Floyd's fight, he doesn't take many risk to make him pay from suppose odd angle and such. It's not like Conor has never thrown a punch on tape before...

To use a poker analogy...Floyd a grinder. You are never going to make these type of players lose much. Conor has a better chance against a prime Pacman due to the style of fighting.

I love poker analogies for this fight because I think it accurately highlights the difference between a "professional" and an "amateur". Pros know what other pros are thinking, they understand their style and RELY on it when making their own moves.

You got pocket Ks, flop comes out K 4 8, you bet big and get called down.
Turn is a J, you bet big and are called down.
River is a 6, you bet big and get raised.

A pro probably never sees the flop with his 5-7 off suit, but hes out on the flop. If for some reason he thinks he can take it and floats to the turn hes not calling down a big bet on a 4 outer. So to a pro you are sitting there with the nuts, theres one hand that beats you and theres no logical reason to think they have it...because you are thinking like a pro who would never make such a foolish move, and boom, you got stacked by some novice.

In the ends its 2 guys trying to punch each other. To say one cant win is silly. To be honest I didnt care who won initially but the boxing community has been insufferable tampons throughout the whole thing and it just makes me want to see Floyd get clipped to watch them look like idiots. Hearing pretentious morons like Shannon Sharpe or Max Kellerman come off so arrogant is annoying AF and the inferiority complex boxing purists have exhibited is sad.

Personally I wish Mcgregor would have just stayed in the UFC and Floyd would have gone away. Id much rather be getting ready to watch Conor in a MMA fight and not ever hearing about "money mayweather" again.
Shadilay
Rashoismydad
Junior

Post#298 » by Rashoismydad » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm

jirrit wrote:Anyone know the exact time of the fight? Since I'm working and I'm in Europe I'd like to know when it all starts cause I'm assuming there will be many show and commercial stuff before the actual fight.

Event starts at 9PM Eastern time in the US, so like 2AM London time. Guessing the main event probably doesnt start until a couple hours after that. Looks like it will be a late night or very early morning for you!
Shadilay
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#299 » by jirrit » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Rashoismydad wrote:
jirrit wrote:Anyone know the exact time of the fight? Since I'm working and I'm in Europe I'd like to know when it all starts cause I'm assuming there will be many show and commercial stuff before the actual fight.

Event starts at 9PM Eastern time in the US, so like 2AM London time. Guessing the main event probably doesnt start until a couple hours after that. Looks like it will be a late night or very early morning for you!

I'm 1 hour later than London, so it starts at 3 AM. I have to get up to get to work at 6 AM. I guess the fight will start somewhere around 4.30 AM my time, amiright?
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#300 » by High 5 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Conor's a very talented athlete who can deliver a very effective punch. You always have to respect that no matter how small the odds are. But thinking about how he crumbled vs. Nate and then imagining him with 12 rounds against Mayweather...yikes. Even old, defensive Floyd should have a hard time not securing the TKO tonight. Unless Conor flips the script and plays it safe.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts