UFC 216: El Cucuy vs. Kevin Lee (10/7/17)

Moderator: lilfishi22

qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Re: UFC 216: El Cucuy vs. Kevin Lee (10/7/17) 

Post#101 » by qm22 » Mon Oct 9, 2017 5:41 am

G Buckets wrote:Smh, Conor was lighting up a featherweight division, then beat Alvarez for the title in his first 155lb fight, Lee has fought nobody. His resume is **** compared to CM. (Lee shouldn't have been in the interim bought, too early, better fighters ahead of him)

Lee has a poor stand up defense and isn't much of a striker, McGregor would drop him in round 1, remember how he lit up Eddie? it'd be worse, especially with his weak chin.

Diaz stand up(off & def) >> Ferguson. If Lee and his non striking skills lands shots on Ferguson how will he fair with McGregor? who has elite boxing in terms of MMA fighting. Only hope for Tony is McGregor gassing out, he isn't going to be able to take him down easy, his take down defense has grown ever since the Mendes fight.

As I said, If he avoids Ferguson he will have his belt stripped(Just like the FW belt when Aldo won the interim, albeit CM was done with that class anyway), and McGregor has already said he wants to defend his belt, and with the call outs from Ferg I'm sure he will.

I said for lightweight the record of Lee is better than a single win against Alvarez and 1-1 against Diaz (with McG running away at the end and getting saved at the end of two rounds, and some question of the decision...). I'm really not convinced how he lit up Eddie is enough to predict he can do it to whoever he wants. Eddie appeared foolish, and he's just one guy. We can say McGregor should be damaging and has a good weapon, but it's not enough for much certainty he can finish anyone IMO. Like how Edson Barboza lit up a lot of people and couldn't finish Ferguson.

I love Diaz's boxing. He's great with hands, but not very mobile; flat footed. He always gets legged kicked. For the last point, I don't think stopping Medes' takedowns are comparable to stopping Ferguson's. Hope we get to find out in a real fight, it would be great if it's actually this year.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,073
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#102 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Oct 9, 2017 5:57 am

I think Mendes’ power double leg isway more powerful than any takedown Tony can offer.

Also, Diaz and Alvarez are still substantially better than anyone Lee beat.

I get that people don’t want to give Conor credit, but Lee isn’t in that league. Tony is a whole other animal, and showed that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#103 » by REDDzone » Mon Oct 9, 2017 3:46 pm

I couldn't really hear what Ferg said in his postfight interview. Sounded like just a bunch of profanity. What he should have done is basically say "You won't see me fighting Conor next, there's no way that guy would ever actually step into the cage with me, look for him to fight a guy with a losing record for the last five years, in the meantime I'll be defending this belt against the toughest guys".

Maybe there is some part to Conor that is more ego than business savvy at this point and that would have worked. Conor probably gets 1,108 profanity laced callouts per day on social media, etc. Yawn.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#104 » by qm22 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Below is a post-fight breakdown on youtube that is, IMHO, pretty good, and it has the Lee/Ferguson fight up now. One of the things relevant to discussion about a Conor fight and how much he got hit by Lee was that a lot of the times Ferguson had a high chin and was hit, in slow mo he is moving his chin upwards and away from the punch so that it barely hit him. That diminishes the narrative that he gets hit too easily/too much.

REDDzone wrote:I couldn't really hear what Ferg said in his postfight interview. Sounded like just a bunch of profanity. What he should have done is basically say "You won't see me fighting Conor next, there's no way that guy would ever actually step into the cage with me, look for him to fight a guy with a losing record for the last five years, in the meantime I'll be defending this belt against the toughest guys".

Maybe there is some part to Conor that is more ego than business savvy at this point and that would have worked. Conor probably gets 1,108 profanity laced callouts per day on social media, etc. Yawn.

Not that you're wrong but I think in the octagon Tony was just being himself and living in the moment. I don't know whether Tony loses the fight because of this but I'd rather hear that than a scripted burn.

Kind of thinking for Conor it is better to fight Ferguson at this point. If he loses, he can still fight Diaz. But if he loses to Diaz first, he can't fight Ferguson. He'll probably still get attention and pay days for a while unless he has a major losing streak regardless. Though I guess that does offer a reason to not fight 2 risky fights in Ferguson/Diaz, etc.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts