UFC 215: DJ vs. Not TJ Dillashaw/Nunes vs. Schevchenko (9/9/17)

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: UFC 215: DJ vs. Not TJ Dillashaw/Nunes vs. Schevchenko (9/9/17) 

Post#61 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:32 pm

There was that signature vicious gnp from Rick Glenn. Once he got him down he was going to poundtown. He's always had that in his arsenal. But first two fights he looked nervous, preventing him from implementing his game. He didn't get so much better in a few weeks like they made it sound. He was a champ of another tv org.

Unfortunately it seemed like Tucker kept wanting more, so they would have been saving him from himself. In Clarke's case, it seemed like he didn't want anymore but at the same time didn't want to be seen quitting. So they let him took an undesired beating with everything White landing being hard and accurate. That one was brutal.

There was a real lack of buzz in the air, like you could smell the lack of relevance comparatively to what we're accustomed to. It had a regional feel. Don't see it doing 100k unless there was some msm coverage I'm unaware of.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#62 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Bernman wrote:There was that signature vicious gnp from Rick Glenn. Once he got him down he was going to poundtown. He's always had that in his arsenal. But first two fights he looked nervous, preventing him from implementing his game. He didn't get so much better in a few weeks like they made it sound. He was a champ of another tv org.

I honestly wouldn't undersell the TAM impact. He was champ at wsof when he was at rufousport. The last year or two he's been sort of a nomad, getting his wrestling at Askrens, his jiu jitsu with us, and his striking at a local MMA school (only notable fighter is Ottow tbh). Being back at a major camp that is MMA focused where he can get professional coaching and elite training partners was huge I'm sure. Huge correlation with him looking like a good fighter and being with a legit camp.

He's young too so more malleable. That's one of the funny parts about all this is people acting like Tucker was the prospect here when Rick is three years younger lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#63 » by Bernman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 pm

REDDzone wrote:I honestly wouldn't undersell the TAM impact. He was champ at wsof when he was at rufousport. The last year or two he's been sort of a nomad, getting his wrestling at Askrens, his jiu jitsu with us, and his striking at a local MMA school (only notable fighter is Ottow tbh). Being back at a major camp that is MMA focused where he can get professional coaching and elite training partners was huge I'm sure. Huge correlation with him looking like a good fighter and being with a legit camp.

He's young too so more malleable. That's one of the funny parts about all this is people acting like Tucker was the prospect here when Rick is three years younger lol.

I don't know why he left Roufusport if he was going to remain in the area. Was there a disagreement or reaction to the controversy a couple years ago?

Over time it makes a difference, but it's hard to envision a few weeks doing the job. Unless they have cardio techniques he didn't have access to in smaller gyms.

From the outside, I think it was just a confidence thing, having time to prep unlike his debut, it being in his normal weight class, and maybe the match-up. The gnp has always been there in spades, just couldn't get the last opponent or two down. Stand-up looked a little sharper, tighter hooks, straights, using distance a little more, etc.; more like was at Roufus. But again, when you lose confidence like he could have, your technique goes out the window.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#64 » by REDDzone » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Yea I'm factoring in the mental aspect of the game when I talk about the move to TAM.

I'm not trying to throw shade at anyone because the ma world is a small one, especially in WI: But I remember when he was fighting Dunham and he's just getting trounced and his corner is yelling "where's that finish Rick, you gotta finish him". It's like, how about he land a strike or takedown or any effective MMA technique at all before you start yelling at him to finish? How would that be helpful at all? Guessing the corner work last night from the TAM guys was literally night and day, professional vs amateur.

Just one example and a microchasm of the difference in being with a legit MMA camp and not.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,068
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#65 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am

Was skeptical about RDA at 170, but that was impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#66 » by REDDzone » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Was skeptical about RDA at 170, but that was impressive.

You posted a list of guys recently who you said were performing much worse since USADA. I can't remember exactly who it included but I remember thinking that if you looked at the context of the fights/performances as opposed to looking at just straight up records, that you could make a case for almost all of them that USADA was (possibly) irrelevant. RDA was on the list.

I have been accusatory towards him as well in the past, so not throwing stones here, but the guy has been performing in his last 3, no argument about that.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,575

Post#67 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Ya I havent gotten around to actually watching the fights yet and saw he won in the 1st round so I was wondering if he was looking a lot better at 170 this time around (didnt think his debut was all that impressive) or if he just got lucky and caught Magny with the choke.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#68 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:08 am

Tucker vs Glenn was pretty nuts. I think one ref gave Glenn a 10-7 (fair enough) in the 3rd. Meanwhile, one of the other judges gave Glenn only a 29-27?? LOL. Look for a new job.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#69 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:11 am

REDDzone wrote:

You posted a list of guys recently who you said were performing much worse since USADA. I can't remember exactly who it included but I remember thinking that if you looked at the context of the fights/performances as opposed to looking at just straight up records, that you could make a case for almost all of them that USADA was (possibly) irrelevant. RDA was on the list.

I have been accusatory towards him as well in the past, so not throwing stones here, but the guy has been performing in his last 3, no argument about that.

His physique looked in order too.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#70 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:14 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Cejudo and TJ are the only two guys I'd like to see take DJ on at 125. TJ has a serious chance, obv, but I think Cejudo would too.

Cejudo truth. If DJ is looking for number 11, at least take on Henry for it.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#71 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 am

That Tucker beating is a career changer. That ref might have cost the UFC a prospect. He was fuuuuucked up.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#72 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 am

REDDzone wrote:Wow cannot believe McMann got choked out by that weak ass choke from f*cking half guard. I can almost promise you that McMann never ever ever trains off her back, ever. Lol!

shut your dirty mouth.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,068
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#73 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 am

I haven't watched Cejudo since his last fight with Mouse. If he isn't substantially better than he was that night, he has 0 chance.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: UFC 215: DJ vs. Not TJ Dillashaw/Nunes vs. Schevchenko (9/9/17) 

Post#74 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Wow cannot believe McMann got choked out by that weak ass choke from f*cking half guard. I can almost promise you that McMann never ever ever trains off her back, ever. Lol!

shut your dirty mouth.

https://gfycat.com/LongPossibleGrayreefshark
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#75 » by High 5 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Honestly, you gotta be a special kind of person to just smash someone's face in when you have them in that vulnerable position. Not sure if that applies here, though. She probably just really sucks at punching.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#76 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

High 5 wrote:Honestly, you gotta be a special kind of person to just smash someone's face in when you have them in that vulnerable position. Not sure if that applies here, though. She probably just really sucks at punching.

You have to be different to sign up to fight in a cage, period.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts