Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Re: OT: McGregor v Mayweather OFFICIAL FIGHT THREAD 

Post#501 » by Bostondave » Fri Sep 1, 2017 6:01 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Bostondave wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
If none of those senses of the word are "winning", "beating the best", and "not 2nd rate to other fighters of his era"...

For fuicks sake. He won, he beat the best, he was the best for about a decade. Are you stupid or just ignorant as hell. Do yourself a favor and look up Tyson. Of ALL the people to pick on he is not the one. You'll see.

Stop with the drama and the histrionics. Who is Tyson's best win? One question. Who did he beat? Answer. Is it Joe Frazier's son? Is it Leon Spink's brother? Or is it Frank Bruno?

Because I can easily answer the complimentary question: he lost to Holyfield (TKO) and he lost to Lewis (TKO). The two best HWs of his era.

So how the **** is he beating the best when two other boxers clearly and distinctly beat him in his own era? He's the best for a decade other than the two other guys who bested him? He beat the best who weren't better than him?

To compare him with Floyd because he was a "bull" is ridiculous. He got TKOd repeatedly by better fighters.

You are ignorant. At one point before he was over the hill he was sitting on 49-3. Twice to Holyfield and Douglas caught him one nite. . Holyfield was a blown up light-heavy and out-quicked him. No one else touched him. 49 wins 43 KO's. Thats gotta be one of the highest, if not the hightest, percentage of KO;s. He fought too long as many others did. Ali and Leonard to name just a couple. He basically won his first 30 firghts by KO, most in the first round. Can you dig that? He was the youngest HW ever. He was only a handful to regain the HW crown. He was a beast and he had heart. And I didn't even like his type of fighter. For fukcs sake Tyson is simply not the champ to pick on. Period. You can pick on many others. Hell Holyfield really didn't fight many HWS. I think he only fought perhaps a handful. He was a lightheavy. You could pick on him. You can pick on Lewis who had a cup of coffee as champ before he was done. There are many others. douglas.....etc etc. Tyson is simply not one of them for fucfks sake. He was ferocious and fearless.

Contrasted with Mayweather who cannot ever be mistaken for a warrior or someone that just fought or someone who had heart.
Deviled Egg
Sophomore
And1: 224

Re: RE: Re: OT: McGregor v Mayweather OFFICIAL FIGHT THREAD 

Post#502 » by Deviled Egg » Fri Sep 1, 2017 9:44 am

Bostondave wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
Bostondave wrote:For fuicks sake. He won, he beat the best, he was the best for about a decade. Are you stupid or just ignorant as hell. Do yourself a favor and look up Tyson. Of ALL the people to pick on he is not the one. You'll see.

Stop with the drama and the histrionics. Who is Tyson's best win? One question. Who did he beat? Answer. Is it Joe Frazier's son? Is it Leon Spink's brother? Or is it Frank Bruno?

Because I can easily answer the complimentary question: he lost to Holyfield (TKO) and he lost to Lewis (TKO). The two best HWs of his era.

So how the **** is he beating the best when two other boxers clearly and distinctly beat him in his own era? He's the best for a decade other than the two other guys who bested him? He beat the best who weren't better than him?

To compare him with Floyd because he was a "bull" is ridiculous. He got TKOd repeatedly by better fighters.

You are ignorant. At one point before he was over the hill he was sitting on 49-3. Twice to Holyfield and Douglas caught him one nite. . Holyfield was a blown up light-heavy and out-quicked him. No one else touched him. 49 wins 43 KO's. Thats gotta be one of the highest, if not the hightest, percentage of KO;s. He fought too long as many others did. Ali and Leonard to name just a couple. He basically won his first 30 firghts by KO, most in the first round. Can you dig that? He was the youngest HW ever. He was only a handful to regain the HW crown. He was a beast and he had heart. And I didn't even like his type of fighter. For fukcs sake Tyson is simply not the champ to pick on. Period. You can pick on many others. Hell Holyfield really didn't fight many HWS. I think he only fought perhaps a handful. He was a lightheavy. You could pick on him. You can pick on Lewis who had a cup of coffee as champ before he was done. There are many others. douglas.....etc etc. Tyson is simply not one of them for fucfks sake. He was ferocious and fearless.

Contrasted with Mayweather who cannot ever be mistaken for a warrior or someone that just fought or someone who had heart.
This is so full of inaccuracies that I'll chalk it up to the cat got on the keyboard.
Bostondave
Analyst

Post#503 » by Bostondave » Fri Sep 1, 2017 1:38 pm

Saying something is inaccurate without saying what is like a fart in a breeze.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#504 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Sep 1, 2017 2:49 pm

So the answer is Michael Spinks?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Deviled Egg
Sophomore

Post#505 » by Deviled Egg » Fri Sep 1, 2017 3:32 pm

Bostondave wrote:Saying something is inaccurate without saying what is like a fart in a breeze.
Lewis had a longer title reign than Tyson ever did.

Holyfield fought much tougher competition than Tyson and it's not even close.

You make it like Tyson was some invincible wrecking machine for a long time when he wasn't. His first 20 fights we're against tomato cans and he owned them all. Then to his credit he started fighting better fighters and beat them too. Spinks was probably the only great fighter that Tyson ever beat at their zenith.

Tyson was pretty much done as a great fighter by 25.

Look at Floyd's last 10 fights and Tyson's last 10 that were fought at around the same ages. Look at the results and look at the opponents and then think about moving to a new thread.
Bostondave
Analyst

Post#506 » by Bostondave » Sat Sep 2, 2017 2:10 am

Ok, far as length of title reigns.

12. United Kingdom Lennox Lewis 4 years, 2 months, 15 days WBC (+IBF, WBA stripped) 9
13. United States Rocky Marciano 3 years, 11 months, 29 days Universal 6
14. United States Chris Byrd 3 years, 4 months, 8 days IBF 4
15. United States Muhammad Ali 3 years, 3 months, 16 days WBC (+WBA, NYSAC) 10
16. United States Mike Tyson 3 years, 2 months, 20 days WBC (+WBA, IBF) 9
17. United States George Foreman 3 years, 0 months, 17 days IBF (+WBA, stripped) 3
18. United States Evander Holyfield 3 years, 0 months, 4 days
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_reigning_heavyweight_boxing_champions

So close enough to be inconsequential. unless you view 1 year as consequential. I am actually surprised at all of Lewis' fights, but ok. He lost to the great Oliver McCall 57-14, and the oh-so-great Hasim Rahman 50-9.

OK, after reading the list of Holyfield opponents I see some very good names. Not sure why I missed all those fights. Perhaps PPV came around or something. The last fight I paid for was Michael Spink v. Tyson that lasted 91 seconds or something. I wouldn't say Holyfield fought much tougher competition by a long shot.

In short you're not rock solid either. Regardless, this is more work than I want for my internet experience. The proof is staring us right in the face. Mayweather fight was a punk sucker move. He came out of retirement to basically fight an amateur boxer. And that amateur boxer was not even some monstrous juggernaut or anything. Thats a punk if ever I saw one.
Deviled Egg
Sophomore

Post#507 » by Deviled Egg » Sat Sep 2, 2017 1:08 pm

Bostondave wrote:Ok, far as length of title reigns.

12. United Kingdom Lennox Lewis 4 years, 2 months, 15 days WBC (+IBF, WBA stripped) 9
13. United States Rocky Marciano 3 years, 11 months, 29 days Universal 6
14. United States Chris Byrd 3 years, 4 months, 8 days IBF 4
15. United States Muhammad Ali 3 years, 3 months, 16 days WBC (+WBA, NYSAC) 10
16. United States Mike Tyson 3 years, 2 months, 20 days WBC (+WBA, IBF) 9
17. United States George Foreman 3 years, 0 months, 17 days IBF (+WBA, stripped) 3
18. United States Evander Holyfield 3 years, 0 months, 4 days
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_reigning_heavyweight_boxing_champions

So close enough to be inconsequential. unless you view 1 year as consequential. I am actually surprised at all of Lewis' fights, but ok. He lost to the great Oliver McCall 57-14, and the oh-so-great Hasim Rahman 50-9.

OK, after reading the list of Holyfield opponents I see some very good names. Not sure why I missed all those fights. Perhaps PPV came around or something. The last fight I paid for was Michael Spink v. Tyson that lasted 91 seconds or something. I wouldn't say Holyfield fought much tougher competition by a long shot.

In short you're not rock solid either. Regardless, this is more work than I want for my internet experience. The proof is staring us right in the face. Mayweather fight was a punk sucker move. He came out of retirement to basically fight an amateur boxer. And that amateur boxer was not even some monstrous juggernaut or anything. Thats a punk if ever I saw one.
Before Tyson had a longer reign and now that he didn't it's inconsequential.

Holyfield fought nobody's and now he actually did fight a lot of great fighters.

Just stop
Bostondave
Analyst

Post#508 » by Bostondave » Sat Sep 2, 2017 5:04 pm

No problem. I was going off of memory of decades ago. I got no problem if my memory didn't serve. I was wrong in some details. Tyson was still a feared, fearsome and ferocious puncher in his prime and during his reign.

Funny thing about it is my favored style is the boxer, the stylist, the technician. My favorites that I actually watched were Ali, Leonard, Benitez, Jimmy Young, Whitaker, Greg Page, Holmes, Hearn.s.... I respected Hagler, Tyson, Bonecrusher, Duran, Foreman, Shavers, Frazier.....but those weren't my favorites.

When it comes to Mayweather he was TOO much of a tactical technician. He played it TOO safe in his style and his opponents. I didn't appreciate that. He was tilted too much towards the extremely safe side of the spectrum. And this last thing he did sealed it for me. That was simply too much of a punk sucker move. It was cynical and calculating in the extreme taking a fight with an amateur boxer to pad his pocket and his record.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts