UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4

Moderator: lilfishi22

duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#1 » by duppyy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:40 am

Surprised there was no thread yet lol.

Bisping really getting under GSP's skin. It's great. Though I doubt it changes the way GSP approaches the fight.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4 

Post#2 » by Headliner » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 am

Bisping trying his best to create hype, but GSP just doesn't get rattled. If Kos and Diaz couldn't get to him, no one will.

What are people's honest thoughts about this though?
It's weary to just assume GSP wins, but that's a big jump in size, ans Bisping will have no rust, where as GSP will be very rusty.

Cardio is a big part of it too. Bisping can go the distance, but GSP has never tested himself at 180 so he could gas, and it's GSP, so there's a good chance that if he is to win, it's going to be via decision.
I think it was Kos or Diaz or both, that his wind kinda left him near the end and he was getting hit a lot more...with Bisping those punches will be harder, from a bigger guy.

I'm still leaning GSP, but I'm not counting out Bisping.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 am

I'm leaning Bisping. I don't think he's going to be easy to hold down for 3/5 rounds.

This fight reeks to me though, but honestly, if GSP wins and sticks around to fight Whittaker instead of the 6th or so best MW, I'll take back every negative thing I ever said about him, or any questions I had about his heart.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#4 » by Jasen777 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 am

Have to think Bisping is the favorite. Bigger guy, good takedown defense, great cardio, he'd be a challenging much up for prime GSP and I doubt we're getting prime GSP.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,802

Post#5 » by NZB2323 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:37 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:I'm leaning Bisping. I don't think he's going to be easy to hold down for 3/5 rounds.

This fight reeks to me though, but honestly, if GSP wins and sticks around to fight Whittaker instead of the 6th or so best MW, I'll take back every negative thing I ever said about him, or any questions I had about his heart.

If GSP wins he's fighting Conor McGregor for the LW title.

I'll be in Vegas for this fight, but I wouldn't feel good laying down money on either fighter.

What do you guys think of laying some money down on Rose Namajunas at +310 to beat Joanna Jedrzejczyk? Upsets happen in this sport.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm

GSP can't cut to 155, or he would have.

That's the biggest money, the biggest game changer, and the easiest fight for him. No way he'd pass that up to fight Bisping. He's talking ****. He can't make that cut comfortably.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Jasen777 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 am

Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Jasen777 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:He can't make that cut comfortably.

I don't think you're wrong, but but Conor would have to want that fight and he's only had eyes for Mayweather during that time.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:11 am

Jasen777 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:He can't make that cut comfortably.

I don't think you're wrong, but but Conor would have to want that fight and he's only had eyes for Mayweather during that time.

That's true too. but that's probably THE money fight for both Conor and GSP, and the UFC as a whole. Conor would lose nothing by losing to a dominant champ from a higher division, and as much as I love Conor, even a lay off version of GSP is probably a heavy favorite with his size and dominance in the grappling department.

I kinda hope it happens. I think I could get good odds on betting on GSP.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#10 » by High 5 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:29 pm

GSP didn't look so hot leading up to his retirement and now he's been away for 4 years and is fighting in a new weight class. It's impossible to really know how good he'll be. I'm currently leaning towards Bisping outlasting whatever GSP has.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:36 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:GSP can't cut to 155, or he would have.

That's the biggest money, the biggest game changer, and the easiest fight for him. No way he'd pass that up to fight Bisping. He's talking ****. He can't make that cut comfortably.

Did GSP say that was his plan to fight for LW title next? He put on a lot of weight for this jump to MW.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Headliner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 pm

REDDzone wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:GSP can't cut to 155, or he would have.

Did GSP say that was his plan to fight for LW title next? He put on a lot of weight for this jump to MW.

No, but he said that it was more likely he would fight at 155 than 185 years ago.

bisping said that was GSPs plan though, after a lot of online speculation.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#13 » by qm22 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am

Jasen777 wrote:Have to think Bisping is the favorite. Bigger guy, good takedown defense, great cardio, he'd be a challenging much up for prime GSP and I doubt we're getting prime GSP.

Bisping's size advantage seems a bit overstated. GSP is bigger than Hendo was and has had a lot of time to increase his weight. I think GSP is probably stronger than Bisping too, he's had more time to develop strength and has bigger muscles, though no way to know.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Part of me thinks Bisping is going to run through GSP. All signs point to that imo, although this wouldn't be the first (or 100th) time I've been wrong.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#15 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 pm

I believe GSP has been improving in the lay-off. Bisping definitely has not added a thing to his arsenal in years. I listen to his podcast and he seems to be totally undedicated to fighting. He's on cruise control, spending a lot of nights drinking beers and cocktails. He definitely had not dropped a bit of sweat in months up until this camp started. He had Perillo on his podcast and admitted even to having a bunch of beers the night before his camp was to start. As in, he's trying to absolutely minimize how much this camp will tax his lifestyle.

Albeit, Bisping is renowned for working like an animal when he is in the gym.

I think Bisping's takedowns and GSP's nerves are the two biggest factors. It won't help GSP's psychological state day-of the fight that he hasn't had that experience in 4 years. He's always admitted serious nerves.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,652

Post#16 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:54 am

It really all depends on what kind of GSP shows up. Has he been constantly improving for the past 4 years and was the layoff good for him to take a step back and a nice breather from the sport. So are we seeing prime angry GSP like him vs Penn or him vs Serra II? I know Bisping is the bigger dude and has good take down defense, but prime GSP had some of the best takedowns the sport has ever seen, that dude was unstoppable. Or has GSP kind of just been doing whatever the last 4 years and sees the big paychecks Conor is getting and wants to try and jump back in and see if he can get a part of that. If that is the scenario I think Bisping picks him apart.

My prediction is, GSP is motivated and wins the fight. Conor then goes and KOs Tony Ferguson and the UFC just says screw the belt situation and have GSP and Conor face off at 170 or some catchweight.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Headliner » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:14 am

That is when the UFC creates the new 162 division and has them fight there haha.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:17 am

I don’t think GSP’s fight chances have anything to do with motivation. I’m not sure if a younger, no knee surgery GSP can take down a bigger guy from a much heavier division, who isn’t particularly easy to take down anyway. After 4 years off, and likely losing even more of his explosiveness, it’s hard to envision him **** Bisping.

If he can classic GSP takedown Bisping, he’s going to cruise to a victory. If he can’t, I think he’s getting stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#19 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:07 pm

I've disliked GSP for a long time, but next weekend I'm pulling for him to destroy Bisping.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#20 » by REDDzone » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:17 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I believe GSP has been improving in the lay-off.

Curious as to why you believe this? I remember thinking Firas was a little hesitant about this whole thing based on an interview with Ariel he did earlier this year. I actually went back and listened to it and didn't get that impression this time (unless I pulled the wrong interview), but Ariel did ask him if GSP has been in the gym when away from fighting and Firas kind of shrugged off the question like yea he's been in the gym training casually this whole time but his intensity has been low and nothing to compare to when he was fighting (or in fight camp). I mean you hear guys say all the time that casual training between camps if when you improve your skills. Also, GSP has said several times he is a completely different fighter now and will finish Bisping, etc. I kind of categorize that similarly to Ryan Bader saying he will be a completely different fighter going for finishes in bellator, just something that needs to be said in the leadup to a big return fight.

My thoughts are:
*GSP is obviously much older than we last saw him.
*He has went through yet another ACL reconstruction.
*He was already getting hit a lot more and taking a lot more damage in his last few fights relative to earlier in his career. Not sure if that can be chalked up to him declining, quality of opponents increasing, or something else.
*The dude believes he's abducted by aliens on the regular, right? Soooo either a) he really is, or b) he has mental illness whether caused by TBI or not.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts