UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4 

Post#181 » by Jasen777 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:51 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:So.. you guys want GSP back so he can take easy fights, or less challenging roads to pad his record?

I don't want to see him get brain damage from a monster in his prime who's the best of a division GSP shouldn't even be fighting in.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#182 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:52 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:Am I the only thinking he's going to fight Whittaker?

The main reason I don't want him to fight Whittaker is because I don't want to see GSP getting KO'd by a young lion. At this stage in his career, I don't know why a legend needs to prove himself against a young lion

So.. you guys want GSP back so he can take easy fights, or less challenging roads to pad his record?

I hope he(and every dominant legend) doesn’t think like that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Let's be honest, he took this Bisping fight not because Bisping was one of the most dominant MW champ in the world or the hardest puncher or a top finisher or anything like that. He took it because Bisping is beatable. Where was he when Weidman and Rockhold were champs?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#183 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:58 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:The main reason I don't want him to fight Whittaker is because I don't want to see GSP getting KO'd by a young lion. At this stage in his career, I don't know why a legend needs to prove himself against a young lion

So.. you guys want GSP back so he can take easy fights, or less challenging roads to pad his record?

I hope he(and every dominant legend) doesn’t think like that.

Let's be honest, he took this Bisping fight not because Bisping was one of the most dominant MW champ in the world or the hardest puncher or a top finisher or anything like that. He took it because Bisping is beatable. Where was he when Weidman and Rockhold were champs?

I’m in total agreement. I think he avoided fighting at 185 until he saw a fight he felt like he could pretty easily take. I thought he miscalculated, but he was right.

Dropping back down to avoid Whittaker is exactly a move I would expect from GSP. I was just hoping he’d prove me wrong and show some nuts.

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#184 » by Jasen777 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:08 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Dropping back down to avoid Whittaker is exactly a move I would expect from GSP. I was just hoping he’d prove me wrong and show some nuts.

He's arguably the greatest fighter ever. You don't get there without a high level of "nuts".
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,816

Post#185 » by Prez » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:22 am

GSP has fought killer after killer after killer throughout his career. He doesn't have anything to prove to anyone imo.

And let's be honest there are some absolute savages at 170 right now, if he's fighting a legit contender there's not much to complain about.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:55 am

Prez wrote:if he's fighting a legit contender there's not much to complain about.

True enough. Still a bitch move to agree to fight Whittaker knowing damn well he would let the excuses fly and back out of it(assuming he does.)

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#187 » by spykelee » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:30 am

I tend to agree with Jasen. I think were going to see him fight Whittaker. I believe it's in his contract and he isn't going to have a choice. And GSP isn't the type to hold the organization hostage like say, Connor does.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#188 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:47 am

I think if GSP says “you can have me at 170, or not at all.” The UFC cracks fast.

No way they let a huge draw like GSP coming off a big win walk to try and force him to fight at a weight class he didn’t make his name at.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#189 » by Headliner » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:33 pm

I want GSP to head hunt. I don't care about fighting up and comers at this point, he's destroyed them his whole career, unlike Silva who built a legacy on specialized match ups (strikers mainly).
In 20 years when people are looking at his list of names that he beat, the names people that will hold the highest weight are:

Matt Hughes
Penn
Nick Diaz
Bisping
Condit (maybe)

Whitaker has no name value yet, most people have no clue who is or haven't even seen him fight, he's beat only two names worth talking about, a 38 year old Souza and 40 year old Romero. Personally, I don't have interest in it. The only benefit it would serve would be to legitimize that he is the 185 pounds champ to the doubters that will say he only beat a paper champ.

It was more than obvious that he is out of his weight class at 185, so why continue to push that at the end of his career? It makes no sense.

With only two fights left in his career, the only names I want to see with him are:
Silva, Woodly, Conor.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#190 » by Headliner » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:41 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Prez wrote:if he's fighting a legit contender there's not much to complain about.

True enough. Still a bitch move to agree to fight Whittaker knowing damn well he would let the excuses fly and back out of it(assuming he does.)

Calling GSP a bitch, and saying he has no nuts is Jr.High lockeroom level stuff. I think we get that your don't hold him in high respect, though im sure you will claim to, but he's arguably the greatest fighter of all time and took on every contender for a decade. He did not benefit from a one dimensional division and opportune match ups like Silva did, he fought a diverse mix of martial artists. He's certianly doesn't need to justify his nuts, or be called a bitch.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by Headliner » Tue Nov 7, 2017 1:46 pm

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/11/7/16616874/freddie-roach-very-happy-with-georges-st-pierre-gsp-boxing-but-prefers-him-back-lower-weight-mma

As for St-Pierre seemingly slowing down a little in the second round, Roach doesn’t think it was the ring rust, and attributed it to him still not being used to his much bigger frame at middleweight.

“He was maybe getting a little bit tired,” he said. “I think moving up a weight division, I am not sure that’s his best weight division or if we will fight there again, but we will see where it goes.”

“I think it was the weight that got to him. He’s not used to carrying that much weight and he fatigued a little quicker than usual. Again, we will work it all out and get together with the whole team and discuss what the next best move is for Georges.”

If Roach was to be asked though, he prefers it if St-Pierre drops back down in weight as that’s where he would perform the best.

“I won’t make that decision myself. I will need help with the other guys. I need their input as well, but Georges’ input is the most important,” he said. “I think I would like him to go to a lower weight division — back to the weight that he’s more comfortable in and more used to.

“But the thing is, that might not be available at this point. We have to make that out with the promoter. With the UFC, usually with what they say, goes.”
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#192 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:17 pm

Woodley is the only fight that makes sense IMO. The one and only. No interest in seeing him fight Conor unless he can make the weight and its for the belt at 155. Certainly no interest in a Nate Diaz fight.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#193 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:19 pm

Rose is awesome. With that said, and I'm not trying to be a hater, the problem for her IMO is that the #2 and #3 fighters in the world are her literal kryptonite. Is there any way that either Andrade or Gadelha aren't favorites over her if they don't give Joanna an immediate rematch?

BTW, Pat Barry is among the most annoying humans on planet earth. Jesus.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by Headliner » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:35 pm

“This is not really my real weight,” St-Pierre told UFC commentator Joe Rogan. “I did it for the challenge. There was a time in my career where the challengers were one after another and I was too small to go up. I was even small for a welterweight. Now I’m still welterweight size.”

Couple this with how 5 years ago he said that he would be more likely to fight at 155, which he could easily make, than 185 and I think we all see the angle.
His eyes are set on Conor, which they should be. It's the money fight.

IMO the path is a 170 fight, then Conor, unless GSP believes he could realistically drop to 155 in a few months. If he truly believes he is WW size right now, and that he was carrying 5-10 extra pounds of mass that could easily come off in a short time, you never know. Then Maybe the 155 fight happens first, and he either retires after that, or makes his last decision then.

The only reason I mentioned Diaz is that he has direct connections with Conor, and beating him would allow for a smooth transition call out to Conor at 155. It's also an easy fight for him, and wouldn't jeopardize his potential to pull in a MASSIVE pay day that he would receive from a Conor fight, like a Woodly fight would. However, it's a poop fight and no a massive step down in challenger, so the interest isn't very intriguing, and it would look poorly as he has a clear fight in Woodly offered.

However, if he were to take and beat Woodly, it would add that much more ammunition to the Conor fight. We would see The 155 champ, vs the 170/185 champ...which would be the incredibly, and maybe a once in a life time event. It would take the perfect storm of events to occur, but wow if it did
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#195 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:28 pm

Conor has talked about challenging for the WW title before. Maybe if that fight happens, it happens at WW for the belt, but so much has to fall into place, two of the which are 1) GSP has to successfully take the belt from Woodley and 2) Conor will probably have to successfully defend his belt at least once between now and then (thinking it would be at least a year from now).
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#196 » by Susan » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:02 pm

Conor GSP would be a great thing for the sport.

Hell, GSP vs Khabib would be great.
Huffman
Senior
And1: 511

Post#197 » by Huffman » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:23 pm

Maybe GSP wants to win the middleweight, welterweight, and lightweight titles.

I know Woodley will accept the fight but I don't know about Conor. He might want to fight at a catch weight so that the title isn't on the line.

This would easily make him the GOAT and a lot of money too.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#198 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:44 pm

^^ Yea I disagree with that for sure. Conor would bring GSP as low in weight as possible. That would be part of the negotiations for that fight, and GSP would be calling for a higher weight and Conor for a lower one. Guessing Conor would end up with everything he would want as per usual when facing fighters not named Floyd.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#199 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:45 pm

Susan wrote:Conor GSP would be a great thing for the sport.

Hell, GSP vs Khabib would be great.

LOL come on man. GSP is literally flying Freddie Roach to him three times a week. Probably the most expensive camp in mma all things considered. No way he signs up for one of his two remaining fights vs the pull out merchant.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#200 » by Wo1verine » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:47 pm

REDDzone wrote:Conor has talked about challenging for the WW title before. Maybe if that fight happens, it happens at WW for the belt, but so much has to fall into place, two of the which are 1) GSP has to successfully take the belt from Woodley and 2) Conor will probably have to successfully defend his belt at least once between now and then (thinking it would be at least a year from now).

Yeah, too many stuff has to happen for this fight to take place - Lots of it probably unnecessary? I mean, if all parties eventually want the fight, why wait and risk having these guys lose next fight out? Just book it now and watch the cash flow in.
BrunoSkull

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts