UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4

Moderator: lilfishi22

Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Re: UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4 

Post#201 » by Wo1verine » Tue Nov 7, 2017 4:55 pm

If Conner did fight GSP down the road who would Americans cheer for?
BrunoSkull
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#202 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:03 pm

Wo1verine wrote:If Conner did fight GSP down the road who would Americans cheer for?

I'd be cheering for when Colby Covington wipes the floor with the winner.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,755

Post#203 » by spykelee » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:26 pm

How easy is it to drop muscle mass? This isn’t Johnny Hendricks cutting fat. Perhaps I’m wrong But wouldn’t it take awhile for GSP to properly get back down to 170?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,130

Post#204 » by duppyy » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:41 pm

Are people actually asking for a Diaz/GSP fight?

Diaz is terrible and would get rag-dolled by GSP.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#205 » by Susan » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:26 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:Conor GSP would be a great thing for the sport.

Hell, GSP vs Khabib would be great.

LOL come on man. GSP is literally flying Freddie Roach to him three times a week. Probably the most expensive camp in mma all things considered. No way he signs up for one of his two remaining fights vs the pull out merchant.

It's more interesting than freakin Nate Diaz getting grounded into a pulp.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#206 » by Headliner » Tue Nov 7, 2017 10:41 pm

He's not fighting nate.
The only way he's fighting him is if he wants an easy fight to transition him down to 155.
But it makes no sense so it won't happen.

It's gonna be woodly, Whittaker or Conor.

I'm hoping Conor or woodly.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,623

Post#207 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:54 pm

spykelee wrote:How easy is it to drop muscle mass? This isn’t Johnny Hendricks cutting fat. Perhaps I’m wrong But wouldn’t it take awhile for GSP to properly get back down to 170?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Depends on his body. If he has the body type that needs to work to keep muscle then the drop shouldn't be too hard.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#208 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:55 pm

Again

MW - Bisping - Done
WW - Woodley - Next
WW/LW - Connor - final fight

He's got two fights left in his contract and I don't think it's too hard to see this story line play out
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#209 » by Jasen777 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:10 am

REDDzone wrote:Woodley is the only fight that makes sense IMO.

It does, and bad matchup for GSP IMO.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#210 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:33 am

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Woodley is the only fight that makes sense IMO.

It does, and bad matchup for GSP IMO.

Better than Whitaker imo

GSP will probably use the same gameplan as Rory to neutralize Woodley.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,069
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#211 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:00 am

REDDzone wrote:Conor has talked about challenging for the WW title before. Maybe if that fight happens, it happens at WW for the belt, but so much has to fall into place, two of the which are 1) GSP has to successfully take the belt from Woodley and 2) Conor will probably have to successfully defend his belt at least once between now and then (thinking it would be at least a year from now).

It will definitely happen at 170. GSP saying he could easily make 155 is as believable as him saying he'll defend the 185 belt, despite signing a contract to do that. If GSP could make 155, he'd have done it ages ago and took less damage and controlled his opponents even easier.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,069
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#212 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:02 am

Honestly, Woodley doesn't deserve to even get a chance to add a name like GSP to his mantle with his awful fights. I'm not sure punches will get thrown if GSP decided he wanted to fight as boring and conservative as Woodley does.

Hopefully Georges can make him actually fight for more than 20-30 seconds of 25 minutes.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#213 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:02 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Conor has talked about challenging for the WW title before. Maybe if that fight happens, it happens at WW for the belt, but so much has to fall into place, two of the which are 1) GSP has to successfully take the belt from Woodley and 2) Conor will probably have to successfully defend his belt at least once between now and then (thinking it would be at least a year from now).

It will definitely happen at 170. GSP saying he could easily make 155 is as believable as him saying he'll defend the 185 belt, despite signing a contract to do that. If GSP could make 155, he'd have done it ages ago and took less damage and controlled his opponents even easier.

I think 155 was before he made the decision to go for the MW belt. Now that he's put on a ton of muscle, 170 would be tough and I'd guess 155 would be near impossible in the short term.

That Conor v GSP story would be fun though. Two two-weight champs, both going for that legendary title in 3 weights.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by Headliner » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:21 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:

Maybe, but there is much more money to be made at 170 then 155. CM didn't move to 170 for the challenge, he moved because the potential earnings are far greater the larger you get. 170/185/205 are the money divisions. Maybe GSP knew he was better off being in that division making tons of money, and beating guys pretty handedly.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,774

Post#215 » by NZB2323 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:48 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:

I don’t think it’s that simple. Rumble has had more success at LHW than MW or WW, and you could argue that Dan Henderson, Cormier, Machida, Edgar, etc. had more success at a higher weight class.

You could also argue that guys like Fedor, Cain, and JDS could have made LHW, but they didn’t want to put their body through that intense of a weight cut.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#216 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:59 pm

Headliner wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

Maybe, but there is much more money to be made at 170 then 155. CM didn't move to 170 for the challenge, he moved because the potential earnings are far greater the larger you get. 170/185/205 are the money divisions. Maybe GSP knew he was better off being in that division making tons of money, and beating guys pretty handedly.

What? Didn't CM move to 170 because Nate was an extremely late replacement and couldn't make 155 in time?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by Headliner » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:07 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Headliner wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

What? Didn't CM move to 170 because Nate was an extremely late replacement and couldn't make 155 in time?

Despite Nate saying he could make 155, and then again for fight 2 saying he could make 155. In the background we heard talks that it was to protect his status at the lower divisions and so he could blame the weight if he lost. We also heard the rumour that GSP was eyeing up a return to the Octogon, and there was the rumour that if CM won at 170 it could have set up a potential super fight at 170.

Personally, I think Conor and GSP have been working on getting this fight together for awhile. Conor is an incredible business guy for a fighter, he knows the game, and he knows the only other PPV draw in MMA that is in his weight area is GSP. He's been eyeing that fight just like GSP has, and just like his Mayweather fight, he's playing the long game.

I fully believe this fight is going to happen, and it's going to be at 155 or a catch weight like 160-162.5 ish
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#218 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:35 pm

I mean, its a good post but tbh sometimes I feel like people look at this too much from within the MMA bubble (and some of you guys from the Canadian bubble where GSP is a megastar) and from that perspective the fight would be freaking huge. However, the narrative going into this fight was that the tickets weren't selling, the buzz around the event was low, the current generation of MMA fans are just a bunch of Conor/Ronda fans who don't even know who GSP is. Now maybe he got the rub from an insanely good event, maybe he didn't, not sure. ALL THAT TO SAY, GSP needs the Conor fight about 100,000 times more than Conor needs the GSP fight. Conor vs Cammo could main event at Cowboys Stadium and sell a million PPVS. It'll be interesting to see what this fight did PPV wise. I haven't really seen Conor angling for that fight at all. I think there are actually probably bigger (or just as big) fights for him at higher weights...an attempt to capture a 3rd belt vs WHOEVER the ww champion is, hell Conor vs Nick Diaz would probably be about as big a fight as they come if he wants to fight someone clearly way bigger than himself. Hard to argue that GSP doesn't want it and hasn't been working on that fight though. Hard for me to believe he was just randomly at Conor's first fight ever at 170, fists up for the camera and looking dejected at the result.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#219 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:35 pm

GSP doesn't "need" that fight. CM would provide him a way bigger bump than any other fight and make him millions of more dollars. But he'd be throwing that money on top of an already monstrous heap of money and a tremendous future earning potential.

There is no need for him to fight Conor not Andy or Nick or whomever. He's not at a deficit or desperate for pull.

I actually think that Conor wants mega-fights more than GSP. In that sense, he might be more motivated than GSP. For example, I don't think GSP would have stepped into a boxing ring for a sure KO loss just to make a huge payday.

Also, re: GSP being a megastar. I always he assumed he was. But I have talked to a couple culturally literate people over the past week or two who had no idea who he was. One dude is a damn martial artist (wing chun) here in Toronto, had never heard of GSP. I think the lay-off or something has really let him slip. I don't know if there was much mainstream exposure. It might have had to do with the fact it was not a Canadian venue or sumfing taht left him off of newspaper frontpages, IDK.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#220 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Nov 8, 2017 7:40 pm

It's ironic that, in absentia, he has now pretty much taken the title as GOAT.

The guy spent a couple of years picking-up black women and working on his floor routine, becomes greatest fighter ever.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts