UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC 217: Bisping vs GSP 11/4 

Post#221 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:03 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:GSP doesn't "need" that fight. CM would provide him a way bigger bump than any other fight and make him millions of more dollars. But he'd be throwing that money on top of an already monstrous heap of money and a tremendous future earning potential.

Of course he doesn't literally need it, brotatochip. He just wants it, and the bolded is the reason why. People like to talk like GSP doesn't care about money which is laughable. Not sure why else he would eyeing up fights vs Conor/Nate Diaz a year or so back when Conor was the biggest name in the sport and Diaz was huge because he knocked Conor off the pedestal. Its no coincidence he showed up to that fight of all fights.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#222 » by Headliner » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:43 pm

There are two elements to a GSP fight that need to be considered

1. Legacy
2. Money

That’s it at this point.

With that said let’s look at the options:

Whitaker: legacy wise it cements that he was a legitimate 185 champ. Money, it’s weaker, Whitaker has no draw ability and weak name recognition.

Woodly: legacy wise It doesn’t do much. He’s proven to own that division, but to come back and beat woodly would make him a two time at the same time champ.
Woodly is a weak draw as well. I’m not excited with this idea.

Silva: it’s the legacy fight that is 4 yrs too late, but that would still draw an audience and get a lot of attention. Money wise, it would still do better than the previous two fights. People still want to see this despite Silva not being the same guy.

Conor: Conor just fought in one of the biggest fight spectacles ever. He wants his fights to be events that are trending world wide. While a fight with tony is big it’s not a Spectacle. GSP vs Conor would be thee biggest fight in mma history. It would probably garner three fights worth of salary for both Men. Legacy wise for GSP beating CM despite it not being his toughest fight will be his most remembered fight and go down as his biggest trophy by the average fan. For CM it would be the highest money fight he could get outside of mayweatger 2.

I don’t know what will happen but I am super interested to find out.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#223 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 8, 2017 9:00 pm

I disagree with the legacy aspect of the Woodley fight. I think GSP coming back and regaining the 170 strap would send the message that this has been his division the whole time. For example, I feel like people barely even recall the "Baroa" era because Dom took back his throne and said that was his title all along. Also, just beating a prime fighter like Woodley would mean as much as Whitaker imo.

Also, the Silva thing isn't happening. I thought GSP already dispelled the notion that he was willing to fight juicers?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#224 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:07 am

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:GSP doesn't "need" that fight. CM would provide him a way bigger bump than any other fight and make him millions of more dollars. But he'd be throwing that money on top of an already monstrous heap of money and a tremendous future earning potential.

Of course he doesn't literally need it, brotatochip. He just wants it, and the bolded is the reason why. People like to talk like GSP doesn't care about money which is laughable. Not sure why else he would eyeing up fights vs Conor/Nate Diaz a year or so back when Conor was the biggest name in the sport and Diaz was huge because he knocked Conor off the pedestal. Its no coincidence he showed up to that fight of all fights.

It's millions more for Conor too, Erwin Bromell.

Georges GOAT, Pettis SCROTE. That's a fact, end of the day.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#225 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:13 am

I feel like we disagree which is fine but you still misunderstand my argument. I don't think it's THAT much more for Conor, especially relative to the risk.

Again we would all mark out at MMA fans (and some of us Canadian fans), but the narrative going into the event is that people didn't remember GSP, tickets sold poorly, etc.

Obviously if it comes back and the ppv sold over a million then that is evidence against my argument.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by Headliner » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:11 pm

REDDzone wrote:I feel like we disagree which is fine but you still misunderstand my argument. I don't think it's THAT much more for Conor, especially relative to the risk.

Again we would all mark out at MMA fans (and some of us Canadian fans), but the narrative going into the event is that people didn't remember GSP, tickets sold poorly, etc.

Obviously if it comes back and the ppv sold over a million then that is evidence against my argument.

Dana already said it's over a million, He thinks it broke the Mayweather/Conor record in Canada.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/mma/news/ufc-217-georges-st-pierre-michael-bisping-breaks-conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-canada-ppv-record/1vagxj2zcb3db1p5smbkysrml2

That highly-publicized bout generated over 4.4 million pay-per-view in domestic buys — United States and Canada, according to BoxingScene.com, but UFC president Dana White contends that last Saturday's event became the highest-selling pay-per-view ever in Canada.

"Mayweather-McGregor had the record there in Canada," White said following the fight. "We were No. 2 and 3 or something like that. We're pretty sure this beat Mayweather-McGregor tonight."

According to White, UFC 217 is trending towards passing one million buys.

"I told some that this would do a million," White said. "I was way wrong, it did over a million."

As St-Pierre entered the octagon Saturday night, he had already sent social media in Canada ablaze. St-Pierre was trending across at least five hashtags, such as "GSP," "GSPReturns" and "GOAT," according to TrendsMap.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by Headliner » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm in Canada, I was away at a conference that weekend, and I had a guy say that he hasn't really watched a fight since Aldo vs Hominck, but was excited for this one. He had no idea who TJ or Garbrandt was, but he knew both GSP and Bisping.
We had the fight on a chromebook and guys were watching it at 2am, the idea that he's lost any luster in the Canadian market is way overblown imo.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#228 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:58 pm

Was that in the same breath when Dana said this has been the UFC's best year for PPV ever? Honestly, that is an embarrassing lie, even for Dana. I'll wait to hear Meltzer's numbers. Maybe it ends up being true.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by Headliner » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:59 pm

Code: Select all

Was that in the same breath when Dana said this has been the UFC's best year for PPV ever? Honestly, that is an embarrassing lie, even for Dana. I'll wait to hear Meltzer's numbers. Maybe it ends up being true.

I'm guessing he included Mayweather vs Conor in that, in which case he may TECHNICALLY be right, but really,we know that's not true.

I'll wait for the real numbers too, but I do believe it's going to do very very well in Canada.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#230 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 9, 2017 1:59 pm

Headliner wrote:I'm in Canada, I was away at a conference that weekend, and I had a guy say that he hasn't really watched a fight since Aldo vs Hominck, but was excited for this one. He had no idea who TJ or Garbrandt was, but he knew both GSP and Bisping.
We had the fight on a chromebook and guys were watching it at 2am, the idea that he's lost any luster in the Canadian market is way overblown imo.

The argument isn't that he's lost luster in Canada - at least I haven't seen that argument besides cbr's anecdote.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#231 » by REDDzone » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:01 pm

Headliner wrote:

Code: Select all

I'm guessing he included Mayweather vs Conor in that, in which case he may TECHNICALLY be right, but really,we know that's not true.

I'll wait for the real numbers too, but I do believe it's going to do very very well in Canada.

So weird, I made that post but it didn't show up. Just the quote, so I deleted it. I guess you saw it somehow? :lol:

Also, I still don't understand how one ppv, of which they would be splitting the money between Conor/Floyd/Showtime, could possibly make this a better year than last year for example.

They had five million plus PPVs last year I'm pretty sure. UFC 200, UFC 205, Conor/Nate, Rousey's return. Can't remember the other. Contrast that with this year where they have had ZERO.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#232 » by CPT » Thu Nov 9, 2017 2:25 pm

FWIW I was hearing that fight day metrics were trending way up, and even if there seemed to be a lack of excitement leading up to the fight, I think a lot of people jumped on board during and after.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#233 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:52 pm

I wouldnt be shocked if GSP doesnt fight again. I dont think he has any urge to fight at 185 again, I think this was just GSP just showing everyone that he could still do it if he wanted to. I think the only way he fights again is if its against Conor.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#234 » by Headliner » Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:56 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I wouldnt be shocked if GSP doesnt fight again. I dont think he has any urge to fight at 185 again, I think this was just GSP just showing everyone that he could still do it if he wanted to. I think the only way he fights again is if its against Conor.

That actually an option that isn't being considered, but could be likely.
At least it will be used to get what he wants from the UFC.

The more I think about it, the more I think you could be right. I think it's conor or nothing now.

Conor is likely fighting Tony in December, im praying he wins. If he does, he'll gloat and then have the worlds eye to call out GSP. Since GSP will be gaming for Conor or nothing, he'll have started to drop weight and have had two months at that time to drop his bloated physique down. Then if they give it an April fight date, GSP will have had 6 months to drop down to 155 or whatever catch weight they decide.

That's a really likely scenario as well.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,635

Post#235 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:29 am

Headliner wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I wouldnt be shocked if GSP doesnt fight again. I dont think he has any urge to fight at 185 again, I think this was just GSP just showing everyone that he could still do it if he wanted to. I think the only way he fights again is if its against Conor.

The more I think about it, the more I think you could be right. I think it's conor or nothing now.

Conor is likely fighting Tony in December, im praying he wins. If he does, he'll gloat and then have the worlds eye to call out GSP. Since GSP will be gaming for Conor or nothing, he'll have started to drop weight and have had two months at that time to drop his bloated physique down. Then if they give it an April fight date, GSP will have had 6 months to drop down to 155 or whatever catch weight they decide.

Skip 170 altogether?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#236 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 am

Headliner wrote:

Thats honestly what I think happens. Again just listening to GSP after the fight, it really didnt sound like he wanted to stay at 185. I also dont think he thinks he has that many fights left in him, I dont think he came back to be a full time fighter again. A Whittaker fight is basically worst case scenario for GSP. Huge huge risk with really little reward. Whittaker is a beast and I think hes going to own that division for awhile, his name just isnt big enough yet. So it wouldnt be this huge accomplishment for the casual fan and I think Whittaker would beat him, which would hurt his legacy.

To me Conor is win win, hes the biggest name in the sport since GSP and the biggest name ever in the sport. That fight would be without the doubt the biggest fight in the history of the sport. If GSP loses, he is part of the biggest fight and gets a nice huge paycheck and nobody will hold it against him losing to Conor is his prime. Now if he wins, thats just the perfect way for him to go out. That cement his spot as GOAT.

And ya GSP has all the leverage here. He can basically say, I dont want to fight Whittaker, if thats the only guy youll let me fight I will just retire. If GSP wants the Conor fight, it will happen. The fight will lose its steam if Conor loses to Tony though. But I dont think that will happen, Tony has horrific stand up defense and gets caught in basically every fight hes in. You dont survive the fight if you get caught by Conor.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#237 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Headliner wrote:

Skip 170 altogether?

Id just make it a catch weight at like 160 or 165.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by Headliner » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 am

I think it will be a catch weight as well, but you know GSP wants the title of Only three time division champ in mma history. He must be licking his chops at that. It's arguably the greatest feat that any fighter could achieve, and its right there for the taking, while, at the same time, the biggest pay for a fight in the history of the spot is tagged along with it. It's too motivating a factor for him not to try.

I guarantee you right this second he is running on a treadmill with a gas mask on trimming down his mucscle lol.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#239 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:52 am

Headliner wrote:I think it will be a catch weight as well, but you know GSP wants the title of Only three time division champ in mma history. He must be licking his chops at that. It's arguably the greatest feat that any fighter could achieve, and its right there for the taking, while, at the same time, the biggest pay for a fight in the history of the spot is tagged along with it. It's too motivating a factor for him not to try.

I guarantee you right this second he is running on a treadmill with a gas mask on trimming down his mucscle lol.

Oh without a doubt thats what he wants. I would love to see it as well, GSP is my all time favorite fighter and if that dude comes back out of a 4 year retirement after just dominating the WW division for close to a decade and takes the Middleweight title then drops down 30 pounds and takes the Lightweight title then retires again, how crazy would that be. I think leaving the Middleweight division wouldnt be a big deal since they already have an interim champ so just make Whittaker the official champ. But what happens if Conor beats Tony then GSP comes down and beats Conor and retires? Whos going to be the Lightweight champion?

Actually I guess if that happens and assuming Khabib beats Barbosa in Dec, they could finally have the Khabib and Conor fight to see who takes the empty belt. Man I want to see GSP vs Conor haha.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,635

Post#240 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 am

I can see why he would skip 170 since he's already the undisputed GOAT at that weight class. I just thought moving down from 185 to 155 is fairly dramatic so I thought he'd cement his legacy by coming back and retaking his belt at 170 and then the superfight at 155 against Conor (assuming he doesn't lose to Tony)

He said he had two more fights on this contract and I just don't see him wasting one of those fights to beat a relatively low drawing but every bit as tough champ in Whitaker. I still think his next fight will be at 170 against Woodley. That would give him until 2nd half of 2018 to bring himself down to 155 gradually and safely without being completely drawn out. He was already super lean at 170 when he was fighting then and dropping weight gets harder as you grow older so I think he takes the long road to transition to 155 rather than a drop straight from 185.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts