Bellator 192: Lima vs. MacDonald, 1/20

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Re: Bellator 192: Lima vs. MacDonald, 1/20 

Post#21 » by Susan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:52 am

This card is shaping up perfectly for Bellator time-wise. No way am I watching Rory-Lima over DC or the HW fight but it's really in a safe time slot right now.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,891

Post#22 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:20 am

I don't miss Goldberg.
Susan
RealGM

Post#23 » by Susan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:21 am

Rory 2-0
Susan
RealGM

Post#24 » by Susan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:38 am

Rory is a freaking warrior. Amazing heart and fight IQ to take this fight over in the last 1.5 rounds.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#25 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:39 am

Rory stole that fight by td in round 3.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM

Post#26 » by Susan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:41 am

REDDzone wrote:Rory stole that fight by td in round 3.

I had 1-2-5 for Rory, 3-4 for Lima...
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#27 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:43 am

Obviously Rory's pressure is crazy and it's easy for me to say from my couch but I just wanted to see Lima do more to try to stand up. Kick off the hips, go to butterfly and shoot him out, something. Anything.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#28 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 am

Two judges 4-1 Rory? I don't agree with that but meh. I had him winning 3-2.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#29 » by ronnymac2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:04 am

I thought RM was dead in the water when Lima cracked that leg and turned the momentum. MacDonald really had one way to win the fight at that point, and he executed to perfection.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#30 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:09 pm

I had it Lima 4-1. He got dominated cos he's one dimensional (and limited even in that dimension) but damn is Rory not going to be hop-scotching this morning unless he hop-scotches with his right leg. That's a moral victory and the belt, IMO.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#31 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Rory stole that fight by td in round 3.

I had 1-2-5 for Rory, 3-4 for Lima...

You had the right score imo. I meant Rd 5 not Rd 3 in my post. Just saw my error now.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,551

Post#32 » by Bernman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 pm

We found out what scares Rory now. It's Douglas Lima. He did way more damage. He's superior on the feet. And all Rory tried to do for most of the fight was hang on tight on the ground + fence and run out the clock. On damage, Lima wins that fight. Round 2 and possibly 1 go to him as well. And Herzog stood them up quickly the one time Lima was on top. But separated like twice the whole time Rory was on the fence and ground. Total b.s. fight. Lima has solid tdd and control of the unders, but he needs to show more urgency to push off the fence, and find ways to get off his back. That has definitely always been his bugaboo. Further reinforced his stand-up is best in the division.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#33 » by ronnymac2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I had it Lima 4-1. He got dominated cos he's one dimensional (and limited even in that dimension) but damn is Rory not going to be hop-scotching this morning unless he hop-scotches with his right leg. That's a moral victory and the belt, IMO.

I had it 3-2 Rory. Why did you have it 4-1 Lima? I do not practice a martial art and I would not trust my own ability to score a decision, so I'm honestly interested in understanding what you saw in the fight to reach your conclusion.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#34 » by REDDzone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Yea that standup when Lima was on top was total BS. There had been a change of position less than 10 seconds prior. Annoying.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#35 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Bernman wrote:We found out what scares Rory now. It's Douglas Lima. He did way more damage. He's superior on the feet. And all Rory tried to do for most of the fight was hang on tight on the ground + fence and run out the clock. On damage, Lima wins that fight. Round 2 and possibly 1 go to him as well. And Herzog stood them up quickly the one time Lima was on top. But separated like twice the whole time Rory was on the fence and ground. Total b.s. fight. Lima has solid tdd and control of the unders, but he needs to show more urgency to push off the fence, and find ways to get off his back. That has definitely always been his bugaboo. Further reinforced his stand-up is best in the division.

He can't get off the fence because he has no fluidity at all. He's just fist-clenched, brute power in everything he throws. Rory has half the power but can push Lima back exactly where Lima does not excel or want to be. Why? Cos he doesn't spend all day lifting weights and hitting Thai pads. His jab is telegraphed and muscled. How can you be the best striker in the division and not be able to control range or use a jab? Have you ever seen him throw a double jab other than to throw a right? He's senseless in there.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#36 » by Bernman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 pm

REDDzone wrote:Yea that standup when Lima was on top was total BS. There had been a change of position less than 10 seconds prior. Annoying.

I've expressed before that Herzog is one of my favorites. But his weakness in the area of breaking up fighters. That's always been the case. He's content to let things play out. At least be consistent about it then and let Lima do it as well. Shortly before he was in mount. And there was like one wall-break the whole fight when about 2/5 of the fight took place there with not much happening. That's not even a position you earn with a td.

I'd love to see Askren come out of retirement and see if he could beat him at his own game. I think he would. He's the next level of relentlessness and technique.

Otherwise, let's see Lima get his rematch in a few months. I would say a year and a half to improve his ability to get up off his back, but when he can get taken down he's always been like this, so don't know if there would be much point, and he should just hope for better luck next time.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#37 » by Bernman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:19 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:He can't get off the fence because he has no fluidity at all. He's just fist-clenched, brute power in everything he throws. Rory has half the power but can push Lima back exactly where Lima does not excel or want to be. Why? Cos he doesn't spend all day lifting weights and hitting Thai pads. His jab is telegraphed and muscled. How can you be the best striker in the division and not be able to control range or use a jab? Have you ever seen him throw a double jab other than to throw a right? He's senseless in there.

Ability to get off the fence shouldn't be conflated with his striking. He even has pretty good takedown defense, fights for unders well, and can turn his man. But then turns back because his opponent is much more intent to stay there since they're threatened by his striking while he lacks urgency. Doesn't break out of his methodical tempo. Might be a way to avoid nervousness is trying to keep calm at all times.

You tell me how he's the best striker in the division with his style? Because he continues to reinforce that he is. He keeps cruising on the feet against the likes of Larkin, Daley, Koreshkov, and Rory. He's being tested even more than he would be in Bellator when it comes to striking. You apparently think fighters should work out of a textbook and not tailor their style to their strength. He feints into leg kicks that destroy opponent's legs. He snaps a jab out to keep some distance, score, and does damage with it. Double-jab is dangerous in MMA because you miss you've telegraphed it and are getting socked with a much harder shot without puffy gloves on. He hits opponents with plenty of uppercuts when they're desperately diving at him to get a hold because they're scared of his power. He could shorten up, but the fact he prompts that reaction is very telling. He throws a good left hook to right straight combo. He throws the techniques he needs to and nobody can rationally argue against him being an elite striker in MMA at this point.
Susan
RealGM

Post#38 » by Susan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Did we forget what wonderboy did to Rory standing up?
Bernman
RealGM

Post#39 » by Bernman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Susan wrote:Did we forget what wonderboy did to Rory standing up?

So, Wonderboy did a much better job of not getting held against the fence and actually backed Rory up there to implement. Has nothing to do with striking. Lima was bludgeoning him efficiency-wise and if Rory didn't hold onto him he'd have taken him out in about 2 rounds with the devastating leg kicks, sharp straights, and uppercuts.

Wonderboy also arguably got out-struck by Woodley and did very little on the feet in those fights. By far the most impressive thing that Wonderboy has done striking-wise has been piece up an inexperienced Whittaker. Outside of that he's heavily gotten the advantage on grapplers. Lima has been proving it against a higher class of striker between Koreshkov, Larkin, and Daley. His opponents barely get off much of an offensive attack on the feet against him, while he's effing them up.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#40 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 pm

I had Lima leading it, but Rory stole it last round and a half.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts