UFC 219: Cyborg vs Holm 12/30.....

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Re: UFC 219: Cyborg vs Holm 12/30..... 

Post#61 » by Susan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:05 am

Holly is such a beast. Cyborg is on another level but man, she really is tough and skilled.

Anybody know if Megan Anderson has a chance?
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#62 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 am

Susan wrote:Anybody know if Megan Anderson has a chance?

Doubtful.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,603

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:14 am

Overall thought it was a pretty weak card to end the year. Pretty boring fights even on the prelims. The two main events lived up to the anticipation in my opinion though.

I am looking forward to 220, those two title fights are going to be really fun to watch.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#64 » by goodboy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:16 am

Conor is better off fighting GSP for a another big pay day and let Tony/Khabib bang it out in Russia.

Although I still prefer to see Conor vs Tony

just the build up alone would be super exciting.
Bright
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#65 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:21 am

HeatWillRise wrote:Conor is better off fighting GSP for a another big pay day and let Tony/Khabib bang it out in Russia.

Haha what did Dana say the other day on FS1, something along the lines of the winner of Khabib/Barbosa will fight Tony and get the honor to fight Conor or something like that haha. Dana is doing his best to protect his boy.

I think Tony has some pretty weak stand up defense and I think Conor can take advantage of that. So if I'm Conor, I'd fight Tony, hopefully beat him. Then I'd book it out of 155 and try and fight GSP. There is no way in hell I would fight Khabib if I'm Conor and I highly doubt he ever will. I'd do one title defense then try and just do big money fights from there on out.
goodboy
RealGM

Post#66 » by goodboy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:30 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
HeatWillRise wrote:Conor is better off fighting GSP for a another big pay day and let Tony/Khabib bang it out in Russia.

Haha what did Dana say the other day on FS1, something along the lines of the winner of Khabib/Barbosa will fight Tony and get the honor to fight Conor or something like that haha. Dana is doing his best to protect his boy.

I think Tony has some pretty weak stand up defense and I think Conor can take advantage of that. So if I'm Conor, I'd fight Tony, hopefully beat him. Then I'd book it out of 155 and try and fight GSP. There is no way in hell I would fight Khabib if I'm Conor and I highly doubt he ever will. I'd do one title defense then try and just do big money fights from there on out.

Fully agree. Khabib Vs Conor will never happen.

Its a win-win situation for us either way. Khabib/Tony or Conor/Tony

Khabib would probably move up weight class after getting the belt. (Which he has stated)
Bright
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:32 am

HeatWillRise wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

If it's Tony vs Khabib first, they better drop the interim title and say it's for the undisputed title and strip Conor. It would be ridiculous if they have that fight while Conor is healthy and hasn't fought in over a year.
goodboy
RealGM

Post#68 » by goodboy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:35 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
HeatWillRise wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

If it's Tony vs Khabib first, they better drop the interim title and say it's for the undisputed title and strip Conor. It would be ridiculous if they have that fight while Conor is healthy and hasn't fought in over a year.

Being a Conor fan, he should've been stripped of both titles when October passed. He atleast should've confirmed his intentions on fighting in march vs tony or some sort of agreement, but nope.
Bright
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#69 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:48 am

HeatWillRise wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
HeatWillRise wrote:Fully agree. Khabib Vs Conor will never happen.

Being a Conor fan, he should've been stripped of both titles when October passed. He atleast should've confirmed his intentions on fighting in march vs tony or some sort of agreement, but nope.

Ya I'm with you. I'm a big Conor fan but this is just dumb now. He's gone a full year now being healthy and hasn't defended his belt once. I mean if we are being technical, Conor won his first belt 2 years ago and has yet to defend one. I'm glad they freed up 145, they gotta do the same now for 155. He needs to get stripped or needs to fight Tony as soon as Tony is ready. Conor would've been stripped a long time ago if he was any other fighter. It's just dumb that Tony and Khabib are walking through murders row and Tony is still called interim champion. You gotta fight or give up the belt.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#70 » by Jasen777 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:06 am

CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#71 » by CPT » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:27 pm

I had stuff to say about the prelims and undercard, but Khabib honestly made me forget. I couldn't even get into the main event after that.

Beats the piss out of a top 5 LW, and then gives an epic interview. "I don't think about this two bullsh-t guys, I only think about me." Amazing.

While I have him as a massive favourite over Tony and (especially) Conor, there's clearly value in seeing at least one of those fights and having him sit on top of the LW division, assuming he can do so. It's by far the best division in the sport, I don't think we need to rush him into fights with Woodley and GSP before he's even won the belt. There are still a bunch of top guys he hasn't faced due to his inactivity - Alvarez, Lee, Poirier, Gaethje - I mean, none of them are that intriguing, but there will be no shortage of fresh contenders if/when he takes the belt.

Like I said, after the Khabib fight I couldn't really enjoy the Cyborg/Holm fight. I kind of dislike both fighters anyway, and I'm not crazy about the women's 135 pound division either. Those two divisions seem like the equivalent of men's HW/LHW, where 115 seems to be more like men's LW.

I guess it's still better than Gabi Garcia missing weight by 26 pounds for her fight against a 53 year old in Rizin.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#72 » by Susan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#73 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Two 30-27 for Magny?? No way! It's 29-28. Close fight, I thought Condit could steal it, prior to Magny taking him down with 20 seconds left in round 3.

Calvillo/Esparza was FOTN.

Mad props to Holm! She's a warrior.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,776

Post#74 » by NZB2323 » Mon Jan 1, 2018 1:00 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:I hate the fact that Cyborg is fighting in the UFC. PEDs have a greater effect on women and I don't want to watch her give another woman brain damage. She's been caught multiple times and should never be allowed to fight again. I really don't want to watch this card and incentivize the UFC to let her fight. I still have a bad taste in my mouth after watching Jones vs. Cormier 2.

You're blowing things out of proportion.

She hasn't been caught multiple times. She has one violation for PEDs and one violation for an out-of-competition diuretic. The other supposed violation was convincingly dismissed:

ā€œIn the case of Justino, the application for a TUE was granted because the athlete had an unequivocally diagnosed chronic medical condition for which the use of Spironolactone is the appropriate standard of care. Further, it was determined that the athlete and her medical team pursued and exhausted all non-prohibited alternatives and that the low dose of the medication is consistent with best medical practice to treat her condition and would return the athlete to a normal state of health without providing a performance-enhancing benefit.ā€

re: retroactive TUEs. They are explicitly allowed by USADA, they did not bend any rule. The rule is designed to bend. The pearl-clutching by internet MMAbros is ridiculous. Athletes do NOT have to apply for TUEs in advance, they are only encouraged to do so. USADA:

athletes are educated and encouraged to apply for a TUE in advance of using a prohibited substance or method, the UFC Anti-Doping Policy permits athletes to file for retroactive TUEs where the use of a prohibited substance or method was medically justified. Athletes are cautioned, however, that applying retroactively is at their own risk and the only guaranteed way to avoid an anti-doping policy violation for using a prohibited substance or method is by obtaining a TUE prior to the use of a prohibited substance or method.ā€

So she has one violation. You think she - but only she - should be banned for life for one violation? Do you complain equally about Alistair or Hendo or Wanderlei any of the countless dudes who are doing far more damage to other humans than Cyborg possibly could do?

I'm not even a Cyborg fan or a women's MMA fan. And her power does not look scary, I don't think she's got one strike power at nearly the level of almost any man. She just swarms people. How that's reaping a benefit from steroid use in 2011, I'm unsure.

Also, the idea that women benefit more from PEDs...I don't see any science behind that. Not for use after adolescence anyways.

You may not see any science behind women benefittting more from PEDS, but the scientific expert at the Anti-Doping Authority of the Netherlands, Oliver de Hon does. He says the effects of anabolic steroids are far greater for females:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2035591/female-athletes-dope-too

I also called for Jon Jones to receive a lifetime ban. The sport should be clean and Iā€™m sick of seeing fighters like Brock Lesnar, Jon Jones, and Cyborg beating someone up and then getting busted later.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#75 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jan 1, 2018 1:20 am

NZB2323 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:I hate the fact that Cyborg is fighting in the UFC. PEDs have a greater effect on women and I don't want to watch her give another woman brain damage. She's been caught multiple times and should never be allowed to fight again. I really don't want to watch this card and incentivize the UFC to let her fight. I still have a bad taste in my mouth after watching Jones vs. Cormier 2.

You're blowing things out of proportion.

She hasn't been caught multiple times. She has one violation for PEDs and one violation for an out-of-competition diuretic. The other supposed violation was convincingly dismissed:

ā€œIn the case of Justino, the application for a TUE was granted because the athlete had an unequivocally diagnosed chronic medical condition for which the use of Spironolactone is the appropriate standard of care. Further, it was determined that the athlete and her medical team pursued and exhausted all non-prohibited alternatives and that the low dose of the medication is consistent with best medical practice to treat her condition and would return the athlete to a normal state of health without providing a performance-enhancing benefit.ā€

re: retroactive TUEs. They are explicitly allowed by USADA, they did not bend any rule. The rule is designed to bend. The pearl-clutching by internet MMAbros is ridiculous. Athletes do NOT have to apply for TUEs in advance, they are only encouraged to do so. USADA:

athletes are educated and encouraged to apply for a TUE in advance of using a prohibited substance or method, the UFC Anti-Doping Policy permits athletes to file for retroactive TUEs where the use of a prohibited substance or method was medically justified. Athletes are cautioned, however, that applying retroactively is at their own risk and the only guaranteed way to avoid an anti-doping policy violation for using a prohibited substance or method is by obtaining a TUE prior to the use of a prohibited substance or method.ā€

So she has one violation. You think she - but only she - should be banned for life for one violation? Do you complain equally about Alistair or Hendo or Wanderlei any of the countless dudes who are doing far more damage to other humans than Cyborg possibly could do?

I'm not even a Cyborg fan or a women's MMA fan. And her power does not look scary, I don't think she's got one strike power at nearly the level of almost any man. She just swarms people. How that's reaping a benefit from steroid use in 2011, I'm unsure.

Also, the idea that women benefit more from PEDs...I don't see any science behind that. Not for use after adolescence anyways.

You may not see any science behind women benefittting more from PEDS, but the scientific expert at the Anti-Doping Authority of the Netherlands, Oliver de Hon does. He says the effects of anabolic steroids are far greater for females:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2035591/female-athletes-dope-too

I also called for Jon Jones to receive a lifetime ban. The sport should be clean and Iā€™m sick of seeing fighters like Brock Lesnar, Jon Jones, and Cyborg beating someone up and then getting busted later.

De Hon simply says that women benefit more from testosterone because their baseline testosterone is less. Not that they benefit more long-term or that it sustains longer in their system. 5 years out from a violation, there is no reason to think that Cyborg is still benefiting from use.

Also, there is a huge error in thinking that the baseline analogy is apt. We are not talking about just filling a receptacle with possible testosterone. It's way more dynamic and there are all sorts of counter-actions that can take place. Women don't just have more room for synthetic testosterone in them because they produce less.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#76 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jan 1, 2018 2:24 am

Cyborg's head is like doubled in size because of steroid usage.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#77 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 1, 2018 2:45 am

If Joe Rogan says that women benefit a lot more from steroid usage than men do, then I damn well believe it. Joe Rogan questions everything.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#78 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 1, 2018 2:48 am

And yea, the night started disappointing for me with Rick's loss and never really recovered. Boring fights all around. Main and comain were okay.

Holly is tough as nails but hopefully they make her win a few fights in a row before putting her in another title fight. She's what, 1-3 now in title fights? Pushing into Uriah Faber territory with that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#79 » by Headliner » Mon Jan 1, 2018 2:51 am

I would love a GSP Khabib fight.
Khabib put on insane pressure tonight, but you can't do that to GSP. I need to watch more Khabib, but I wouldnt have him as the favourite if he fought GSP at 170

Khabib was smart to put the pressure on though, barbozas leg kicks were brutal in the first two minutes. If Khabib hadn't went all in on the pressure early, it could have been a very different fight, because barboza was connecting and hurting him.

Khabib looks like the man at 150 though, I can't see Conor or Tony beating him, it's going to take someone with a larger frame, solid wrestling, and good jabs to beat Khabib. GSP looks like Khabib kryptonite to me. He wouldnt finish him, put he'd pick at him for a 5 round decision.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#80 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jan 1, 2018 6:57 am

I hope GSP can beat guys fighting two weight classes lower than his last fight.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts