UFC 222: Holloway vs Edgar, Saturday March 3.....

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Re: UFC 222: Holloway vs Edgar, Saturday March 3..... 

Post#41 » by Jasen777 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:51 pm

REDDzone wrote:Cyborg is the biggest female draw in the sport though. She's an anomaly. She's also one of the women fighting at a very high level.

And Rousey was one of the top 4 UFC draws ever. And cards headlined by women have done very well in TV ratings.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,658

Post#42 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Cyborg is the biggest female draw in the sport though. She's an anomaly. She's also one of the women fighting at a very high level.

And Rousey was one of the top 4 UFC draws ever. And cards headlined by women have done very well in TV ratings.

I havent seen anyone make the case women fighters cant be draws. That is not the argument anyone is saying, also no one is making the argument there arent any skilled female fighters. I think any UFC/MMA fan knows women can be draws, hell I remember getting pumped to watch Carano vs Cyborg back in the day. But again that isnt the discussion we were having, the discussion that we were having is the lack of depth in all of the female divisions and the UFC putting a female fight on the main card when skill wise they shouldnt be on the main card.

I dont think too many of us "sexists" on here complained that Holms/Cyborg was a main card fight, hell I actually recall a pretty strong positive reaction to that fight on here as it was going on. Those 2 fighters are skilled enough to be a main card fight. Like stated earlier a few of us are excited to watch Dern's debut. Again the main discussion is the lack of depth and some cards when the UFC puts a female fight on the main card when it is obvious the two fighters arent good enough to be main card fighters for the UFC.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#43 » by Jasen777 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:But again that isnt the discussion we were having, the discussion that we were having is the lack of depth in all of the female divisions and the UFC putting a female fight on the main card when skill wise they shouldnt be on the main card.

My point is merely that such fights are very likely more popular with the general public than with posters here (which, ok, is a low bar). And that while said fights might annoy certain posters here there's no evidence that it's a drawback for fans in general. Certainly no more than putting on men's fights with fighters most people don't know.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#44 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:12 am

I agree about the lack of talent, and I am okay with having all female cards, these ideas are fine.

But when people start saying women shouldn’t be fighting in general, that’s where it crosses the line. That’s being sexist.

Females have a place in mma too.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#45 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:I agree about the lack of talent, and I am okay with having all female cards, these ideas are fine.

But when people start saying women shouldn’t be fighting in general, that’s where it crosses the line. That’s being sexist.

This is apt.

Suggestion : hey man, lose the cookie cutter screen name so that you can be distinguished. There's like you, KidCanada, GoCanadaGo, CanuckGuyCanada, RapsCanadaGoKid. I just conflate all of you into one individual.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#46 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:I agree about the lack of talent, and I am okay with having all female cards, these ideas are fine.

This is apt.

Suggestion : hey man, lose the cookie cutter screen name so that you can be distinguished. There's like you, KidCanada, GoCanadaGo, CanuckGuyCanada, RapsCanadaGoKid. I just conflate all of you into one individual.

It’s a cult. You’re next Ronnie!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Thank you Clutch0z24
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Are people saying this though on here? Looking back in the thread I dont really see anyone saying females shouldnt be fighting. But then you come in and say we're really sexist. I think the talent in the female divisions right now are weak, I get annoyed when there is a female fight on the main event that clearly talent wise they shouldnt be on the main event. And I just dont find it as entertaining as male UFC, just like I dont find WNBA as entertaining as the NBA.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#48 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:51 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:

This is apt.

It’s a cult. You’re next Ronnie!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#49 » by REDDzone » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 pm

See I've been the annoying guy in this thread who has complained about it but not really offered a solution. Because tbh I'm not sure what the solution is. I haven't thought about some of the solutions proposed in this thread too extensively, but on the surface I don't really agree with women having their own promotion (which is probably just a nice way of eliminating their divisions from the ufc). Women only fight cards are more interesting, although I'm not sure if it would be women only or more like how sometimes they stack a card focusing on one division (I think they did an all HW main card for a ppv a few years back?).

Its kind of a catch 22, because it gets annoying when you see women in spots they don't deserve, but at the same time, you want eyes on them to build them as well. So...?

What I feel like the solution definitely ISN'T is to continue to not build divisions. Why the hell was 145 even created? So too blown up 35ers could fight for the title when we all knew the best 45er wasn't even in the fight? I'm actually pretty sure that a women's 145 lb non-title fight has ever even occurred.

I just see a product that is already light on the talent side of things being further watered down by new divisions constantly being created. When you create a new division, and the "number one seed" to get the title in said new division in Roxanne Modafferi, you may need to re-evaluate.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#50 » by Bernman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 pm

145 was created so they could sell Cyborg. But that seems like a Pyrrhic victory if the cost is building up a division that has little potential at that point beyond her.

As I've suggested before, I think either you have one central division with the cream of the crop and whoever has to be sacrificed talent-wise for that is worth it. Can't make everything about finding that one star.

Or maybe better yet there is a WUFC or UFC with women's fighters (you don't necessarily have to define it) and the cream of the crop can meet on PPV. They can hype them in promotion and develop a standard where the average MMA fan is looking forward to those fights instead of dreading them.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Post#51 » by duppyy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:53 pm

It's a title fight and UFC doesn't even have the Challengers picture on file lol.

I understand the weight class was made to sell Cyborg but it would be great to try and grow the division while she is still around instead of having to get rid of the division when she retires.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Jasen777 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:16 pm

At the least they could take a picture of her.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:04 am

duppyy wrote:Image

It's a title fight and UFC doesn't even have the Challengers picture on file lol.

I understand the weight class was made to sell Cyborg but it would be great to try and grow the division while she is still around instead of having to get rid of the division when she retires.

They have updated it but it still shows a blank person when you click on the fight to see the stats between the two of them. I get having this on a prelim, I could maybe understand for an opening fight on the main card if you need a local figther or something. But on the main event and on a title fight? Its a bad look, it doesnt help grow the division at all.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:06 am

I am torn for Frankie and Ortega. Im a bigger Frankie fan than Ortega but I do love Ortega's fights, even though I wish he would push to grapple more often. I really like the potential for Ortega but Frankie is just one of my favorite fighters and it is damn hard to beat that man, especially trying to finish him. The only way Ortega wins this fight is if he taps Frankie.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#55 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Ortega is w one of those California Gracie pricks and has been busted for steroids. The Gracie who talks really deliberately and is super self-serious/humorless. I am not torn about who to root for here.

Also flat-footed, block-and-counter boxing against Edgar...lol. Eaten alive.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#56 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 pm

^^ Not sure who you are confusing him with but super self-serious and humorless definitely doesn't describe Rener Gracie (although "prick" may very well be an apt description depending how annoyed his "Helio invented leverage" and online blue belt BS makes you) . This is the MAKE A RENERGY SANDWICH guy, if anything people would be more likely to be annoyed by him because he's outgoing/annoying.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#57 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:04 pm

REDDzone wrote:^^ Not sure who you are confusing him with but super self-serious and humorless definitely doesn't describe Rener Gracie (although "prick" may very well be an apt description depending how annoyed his "Helio invented leverage" and online blue belt BS makes you) . This is the MAKE A RENERGY SANDWICH guy, if anything people would be more likely to be annoyed by him because he's outgoing/annoying.

He was such a dud on the Renato Laranja Show. Maybe just a dynamic between the two but good God what a bore.

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#58 » by Susan » Thu Mar 1, 2018 4:55 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:^^ Not sure who you are confusing him with but super self-serious and humorless definitely doesn't describe Rener Gracie (although "prick" may very well be an apt description depending how annoyed his "Helio invented leverage" and online blue belt BS makes you) . This is the MAKE A RENERGY SANDWICH guy, if anything people would be more likely to be annoyed by him because he's outgoing/annoying.

He was such a dud on the Renato Laranja Show. Maybe just a dynamic between the two but good God what a bore.

Love the Ali G influence. Man, he's a talent.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#59 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 2, 2018 5:14 pm

Eyeing up Edgar and Vieira as betting options on this card. Hoping the line moves a little towards Cat when she looks in great shape at weigh-ins. I think she's done and has been since the tragedy involving her husband tbh.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#60 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Mar 2, 2018 10:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts