UFC 220: Miocic vs Ngannou, Saturday January 20th...

Moderator: lilfishi22

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: UFC 220: Miocic vs Ngannou, Saturday January 20th... 

Post#201 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:09 pm

GameBredAPBT wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:
Okay....based upon what, exactly? He's not a better fighter than Cormier. He hasn't beaten better guys than him either. Outside of Ngannou, who is still greener than broccoli, his marquee wins are over old fart has beens with shot chins. Cormier went 5 rounds with Jon freaking Jones & Alex Gustaffson.

Miocic is actually like a poor man's Cormier. Not as good of a wrestler, slightly better boxing, but not better striking for MMA. I don't see how he beats him, unless Cormier shows age out of nowhere.

Moving up to HW isn't as drastic as moving down to 205. If anything, Cormier will come in looking much healthier & replenished.

:o :crazy: :noway:

Stipe - Gonzaga, Hunt, Arlovski, Werdum, Overreem, JDS, Ngannou

DC - Barnett, Big Foot, Mir, Roy / Hendo, Rumble x2 , Silva, Gus, Volkan(last 5 at 205), 2 losses to Bones

You are severely down playing Stipe's resume. I think his stacks up quite well to DC. They 7 big names Stipe went through, are tougher than the 4 big name heavyweights DC went through.

Stipe will have height and length advantage over DC, just like Gus and Jones did. Instead Stipe won't be 205 lbs. Day of fight, Jones and Gus probably around 220-230lbs. Stipe day of fight, 240-250.

Outside of Barnett and Big Foot, Stipe would be the biggest opponent that DC has faced. Except he isn't as slow as the aging latter two and also has better striking then those two.

Just saw the part that I made huge. Are you friggin kidding me?!?! All of DC's big name wins at HW, were old farts. Barnett, Mir, Roy and Big Foot. Are you high?? None of those opponents were in their prime when they fought DC. They were all old and on their way out.

He stacks up to him well, but he's not the superior fighter. The Hunt/Arlovski/Reem/JDS/Gonzaga are all guys who are at the tail ends of their career & are susceptible to losing versus much less fighters than Miocic.

Also, you're a noob. What a load of revisionist crapola. Barnett & Bigfoot when DC fought them were on fire & were considered top 5 HWs. Cormier finished Big Foot without breaking a sweat & beat the dog piss out of what was probably the best version of Barnett we'd seen up until that fight, in one of the best 5 round HW beatdowns in the history of the sport.. In fact, Barnett was never the same after that fight. Mir was 4-2 in his last 6 coming into the Cormier fight. Far from "on the way out". Removed from his prime, but not as much as, say, Overeem or Arlovski was when they fought Miocic. Miocic's title defenses have literally been like a Legends retirement tour, outside of Ngannou who was a hype job.

Cormier is a LOT faster at HW than Miocic is. And he's a far superior grappler. Their striking is about even. Cormier also has a far superior gas tank.

I'm a noob? Been watching MMA pretty consistently for 11 years. But yeah I'm a noob.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#202 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:15 pm

GameBredAPBT wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:Okay....based upon what, exactly? He's not a better fighter than Cormier. He hasn't beaten better guys than him either. Outside of Ngannou, who is still greener than broccoli, his marquee wins are over old fart has beens with shot chins. Cormier went 5 rounds with Jon freaking Jones & Alex Gustaffson.

Miocic is actually like a poor man's Cormier. Not as good of a wrestler, slightly better boxing, but not better striking for MMA. I don't see how he beats him, unless Cormier shows age out of nowhere.

Moving up to HW isn't as drastic as moving down to 205. If anything, Cormier will come in looking much healthier & replenished.

No, Cormier is actually a poor man's Stipe Miocic. Stipe is a good wrestler, better boxer and much higher ( 6'4 compared to 5'11) & longer ( 80 in wigspan compared to 72.5 in ) than Cormier.

Also, Stipe hasn't taken much beating in his career when you compare him to DC or for that fact when you compare him to most of today's top HW and top light HW guys.

No, he's not. Cormier is twice the athlete & twice the MMA fighter.

He also has taken some savage beatings in his career. Outside of the Gustafsson fight, I can't think of any fight that DC has been in that was as savagely brutal as Miocic/Dos Santos I. That was tough to watch. Miocic got his ass waxed. DC has more miles on him though, and like I said, age & mileage would be the only reason he'd lose to Miocic, but I still foresee him tiring Miocic out with activity & possibly TKOing him. Miocic is chinny.

LMAO. WTF are you smoking? Can I have some? You are high out of your mind. Stipe goes through your boy DC easily.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#203 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 pm

You might not be a noob, but you're analyzing with your personal feelings and your heart, and not your brain.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#204 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:You might not be a noob, but you're analyzing with your personal feelings and your heart, and not your brain.

:roll: If a MOD says so, it must be true. I'm going with my eyes and my brain. I could use your words you just said, to say the something to the poster calling me a noob. DC didn't look all that great vs Volkan, but yeah he can beat Stipe. :lol:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#205 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:49 pm

He only didn't look great to you because you're mad that he won, because you don't like him, for whatever reason. He definitely looked better than Stipe this weekend, who looked like the winner of a "whose cardio isn't a complete failure" challenge.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#206 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:01 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:He only didn't look great to you because you're mad that he won, because you don't like him, for whatever reason. He definitely looked better than Stipe this weekend, who looked like the winner of a "whose cardio isn't a complete failure" challenge.

:roll: I'm not mad that he won. I could care less. Now you are the one not using your brain, but your feelings when posting. You are saying this garbage because I was a Jones fan in the past. DC did not look good vs Volkan, and I will agree Stipe didn't look much better vs Ngannou. But out of the last few fights, both fighters have had, Stipe has looked better.

DC hasn't had 4 consecutive 1st round stoppage's since he was in Stirkeforce, vs John Devine, Lucas Browne, Tony Johnson and Jason Riley, all way back in 2010 8 years ago.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Jones is my favorite fighter, lolol.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#208 » by Headliner » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 pm

DC before he dropped to 205 is a legit threat to Miocic, losing that weight makes it less competitive, and at his age, every day he is worse than the day before.
I think it would be a very good fight, but miocic would and should be the favourite. If this was 4 years ago, I think I'd go DC actually,
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,658

Post#209 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Headliner wrote:DC before he dropped to 205 is a legit threat to Miocic, losing that weight makes it less competitive, and at his age, every day he is worse than the day before.
I think it would be a very good fight, but miocic would and should be the favourite. If this was 4 years ago, I think I'd go DC actually,

Agreed 100%. DC was 35 when he last fought as a HW, the dude is now 39. For most athletes we see a pretty steep decline during that age period. And if we are being honest, DC never looked as good at HW than what we are seeing from Stipe right now. That is no knock on DC, we are just comparing him to arguably one of the best HWs of all time in his prime. Im a huge fan of both guys, but I think Stipe would be the heavy favorite if the two fought right now.

There is no reason for DC to go up to try and fight Stipe. It makes sense for Stipe because who else is there for Stipe to fight right now? But for DC a rematch with Gustafsson makes sense because their only fight ended in a bloody split decision. DC says he is done for good next March, that means he probably has 2 more fights max. There are a lot of rumors Jones is going to be cleared soon, just have DC fight Gustafsson and Jones in the next year and thats great.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#210 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 am

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:27 am

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by Headliner » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:38 am

That’s awesome
There’s very few fights I’d like to see more.

This gives Cormier a huge pay day and almost 6 months to bulk back to a decent weight

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was his last fight, despite him saying he wanted two or three more.

If he wins he’ll drop the belt, but will he want to work to drop down again?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#213 » by Susan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:47 am

DC gunning for the GOAT status here.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#214 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 am

Pass on TUF but I'm always up for super fights even if they make no sense. Also Stiopic by 2nd rd Immigrant Mentality
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#215 » by Susan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:05 am

I'd watch the TUF season just because DC and Stipe would be so funny.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#216 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 am

And DJ vs TJ and Cyborg/Nunes?!
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#217 » by Von Bismarck » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:46 am

Stipe for the 4th time? I'll take it 8-)
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by Headliner » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Love this fight so much.

DC wins this, he’s the goat imo.
The jones thing will diminish his career to the average fan, but erase both and if he beats miocic ... holy crap what a resume.

Miocic is already a top 3 HW of all time if not the top 1 but with a Cormier defeat, it cements it...unless he losses to Cain afterward. Then that pushes Cain’s resume up and drops miocics.
Miocic has two fights left to cement his status as goat HW. Hopefully he takes some leave from the firehall and puts in some real training
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#219 » by Headliner » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:21 pm

If you are the GOAT HW it pretty much means you are the baddest man that ever lived...lol that’s a pretty sweet claim to have
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#220 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Headliner wrote:Love this fight so much.

DC wins this, he’s the goat imo.
The jones thing will diminish his career to the average fan, but erase both and if he beats miocic ... holy crap what a resume.

Miocic is already a top 3 HW of all time if not the top 1 but with Cormier winged cements it unless he losses to Cain afterward.
He has two fights left to cement his status. Hopefully he takes some leave from the firehall and puts in some real training

He works one 12 hour shift a week according to an ESPN article, might not be any hindrance to his training. And he's not broadcaster material, so good for him for having a career for post-fighting.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts