And1: 7,430

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1361 » by Susan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:37 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
He's AKA no?

Jesus.

That's a good question. Idk. I'm pretty sure AKA affiliated with Leo Vieira from Checkmat after they were done with Dave Camarillo. Buchecha is Checkmat so he was training with those guys for sure. I'm not positive if that's his primary team or if he's just AKA secondarily kind of like Jon Jones is Gracie Barra secondarily after Jackson's.

Not 100% sure but it would obvs make sense. Especially with DC and Cain out the door.

Leo is one of the best minds in BJJ from what Comprido used to say about him. The level of grappling talent at AKA is absurd. Between DC/Leo/Buchecha/Khabib and his boys/Cain/Rockhold when he's there.

Buchecha is going to be a mauler. I'd pay money to see him roll with DC.

Scroll through, Buchecha is training with DC for this fight pretty heavily it seems. He's going to be a fun one to watch.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1362 » by REDDzone » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:04 pm

^^ I mean, it only makes sense.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1363 » by Susan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:06 pm

REDDzone wrote:^^ I mean, it only makes sense.

I'm putting the rest of my MyBookie account on DC. He's going to grapple **** Stipe.

Looks lean and is working with one of the greatest HW grapplers of all time, his top game is going to be next level.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1364 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Dude knew he was never getting a title shot no matter how many he won in a row.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1365 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:24 pm

Susan wrote:Buchecha is going to be a mauler. I'd pay money to see him roll with DC.

So Buchecha had a match scheduled with Werdum coming up and had to pull out due to tweaking his knee. See this is my concern with him given that he's had knee surgeries in the past, it doesn't matter how explosive you are if your knees are jacked up.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1366 » by Susan » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:25 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just came to post this!

Him vs Bader is a good fight.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#1367 » by aggerrard » Fri Aug 7, 2020 5:34 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Tbf he never deserved a title shot.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1368 » by REDDzone » Fri Aug 7, 2020 6:17 pm

aggerrard wrote:Tbf he never deserved a title shot.

Meh IDK. I don't think he's good but don't overestimate how terrible LHW is. Corey beat Glover/Walker/Latifi/Cummins in a row.

Gus got a shot after beating Glover and Jan.
Santos got a shot after beating Jan/Manuwa at 205 LOL.
Anthony Smith beat Rashad/Shogun/Oezdemir which is probably the easiest path to the shot but the highest name value resume.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#1369 » by aggerrard » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:52 pm

REDDzone wrote:

Meh IDK. I don't think he's good but don't overestimate how terrible LHW is. Corey beat Glover/Walker/Latifi/Cummins in a row.

Anthony Smith beat Rashad/Shogun/Oezdemir which is probably the easiest path to the shot but the highest name value resume.

You could argue it after his KO win over Walker. But he came of two terrible knockouts leading up to that 4-win streak. You also have to take the competition into consideration.

1. Gus was a legit contender for years, and came of a great, great title fight with DC followed up by a rusty performance vs Jan and a shutdown of Glover. Despite his break, you dont't throw in Corey against Jon with only two decision wins after he got knocked out cold twice before those two wins. Gus, DC and Jones was still considered the 'big-3'.

2. Anthony Smith came of 3 wins in the LHW division, all opponents stopped and dominated. You can argue the competition, but more impressive performances than Corey's. Both with a 3 win streak at that time.

3. Santos came of 3 KO's in the LHW division. Undefeated at LHW just like Smith. I'd take him over Corey for a title shot at that point.

4. Corey now on a 4-win streak vs Reyes on a 6 fight win streak. One guy is undefeated. Reyes gets that shot every time.

5. Corey could have sat out then and waited for Jones - but Jan had momentum after beating two former elite-middleweights, so that fight was the easy choice to make for the next contender spot. Corey got knocked out. Had he beaten Jan he would be deserving of the next shot - and even if he choiced to sit out, you could the case he should be next.

6. Fine he's gone. Bigger and more talent in the division now, and he wouldn't compete well against it.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#1370 » by Dupp » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:18 pm

Why’s Cody getting a title shot? Dude was stopped three times in a row before his last win
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1371 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 8, 2020 1:05 am

aggerrard wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

You could argue it after his KO win over Walker. But he came of two terrible knockouts leading up to that 4-win streak. You also have to take the competition into consideration.

1. Gus was a legit contender for years, and came of a great, great title fight with DC followed up by a rusty performance vs Jan and a shutdown of Glover. Despite his break, you dont't throw in Corey against Jon with only two decision wins after he got knocked out cold twice before those two wins. Gus, DC and Jones was still considered the 'big-3'.

2. Anthony Smith came of 3 wins in the LHW division, all opponents stopped and dominated. You can argue the competition, but more impressive performances than Corey's. Both with a 3 win streak at that time.

3. Santos came of 3 KO's in the LHW division. Undefeated at LHW just like Smith. I'd take him over Corey for a title shot at that point.

4. Corey now on a 4-win streak vs Reyes on a 6 fight win streak. One guy is undefeated. Reyes gets that shot every time.

5. Corey could have sat out then and waited for Jones - but Jan had momentum after beating two former elite-middleweights, so that fight was the easy choice to make for the next contender spot. Corey got knocked out. Had he beaten Jan he would be deserving of the next shot - and even if he choiced to sit out, you could the case he should be next.

6. Fine he's gone. Bigger and more talent in the division now, and he wouldn't compete well against it.

Gus sucks. He earned exactly one of his 3-4 title shots. Yea, he was top 4 205er at one point in an extremely shallow division. If he was top 3 it was because Rumble retired.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#1372 » by aggerrard » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:10 am

REDDzone wrote:
aggerrard wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Gus sucks. He earned exactly one of his 3-4 title shots. Yea, he was top 4 205er at one point in an extremely shallow division. If he was top 3 it was because Rumble retired.

Towards the end, yes he have slowed down. But he took both prime Jones and prime DC to deep waters. To have prime Gus as the 3rd or even 4th best guy in a division is quality. Many consider him one of the greatest UFC fighters to never win a titel - but i guess he still sucked even at his prime.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1373 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:01 pm

aggerrard wrote:[

Oh no
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1374 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 8, 2020 8:31 pm

aggerrard wrote:Towards the end, yes he have slowed down. But he took both prime Jones and prime DC to deep waters. To have prime Gus as the 3rd or even 4th best guy in a division is quality. Many consider him one of the greatest UFC fighters to never win a titel - but i guess he still sucked even at his prime.

Okay, I'm trolling a little because I have this argument about once a month. But "sucks" is a relative term. He doesn't suck compared to the rest of the meh fighters at 205. But he sucks relative to being put in the tier with the likes of Jon Jones and DC. You know it's bad when your biggest accomplishments are being competitive in clear losses. Greatest non title holder in UFC history? I meant it when I said he earned exactly 1 of his 3 title shots.

Back to the original point, I'm not even arguing that Corey ever deserved a title shot. I'm just arguing that with his resume at the time after KTFO Johnny Walker wouldn't have really been atypical for a 205 contender. And he never even entered the conversation in Dana's mind (hence my original comment saying the UFC would never give him a shot).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#1375 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 9:35 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow really shows just how much the two of them couldn't see eye to eye on things and clearly not any kind of draw because its pretty rare to see the UFC just let a fighter walk in the middle of their contract like this, especially one that is ranked top 5.

Youd think a 4 fight win streak at LHW with wins over Glover and Johnny Walker would've been good enough for a title shot. But I wont lie, Im not losing any sleep over Anderson not getting a title shot. Id much rather see Reyes and Santos get another shot at Jones.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1376 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Colby Covington vs. Tyron Woodley targeted for showdown at UFC event on Sept. 19

Noooooooo! Colby will **** him up so bad, this is a disaster.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#1377 » by Jasen777 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:02 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Colby Covington vs. Tyron Woodley targeted for showdown at UFC event on Sept. 19

Probably.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#1378 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:

Yup Im expecting a Colby vs Lawler kind of dominance by Colby against Woodley. Woodley wont be able to out wrestle him and Colby is just going to take him into deep waters with his cardio and pace.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1379 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:21 am

He's the worst match-up for Woodley. Woodley is prone to languishing against the fence with inactivity (e.g. so many fights). Colby will press him with literally 100 punches/round. Woodley will never be able to get off.

I assume Tyron is just cashing out with a cool half a mill to take humiliating beating. Cos he's gotta know how this goes.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#1380 » by Jasen777 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:46 am

cowboyronnie wrote: Cos he's gotta know how this goes.

Fighters tend not to think like that.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts