And yeah, lol and forcing Khabib into the Francis Stipe convo
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1602 » by Headliner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:52 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Headliner wrote:I think Francis is gonna take it as well.

It’s incredibly hard to beat a top level guy twice. Francis is gonna catch him I think. It only takes one.

It’s why I wish Khabib would have stuck around, if he beat Dustin and maybe Justin again and took out Chandler and Charles, the guy has legit resume for all time status.
Right now it’s just a short list of one offs and questions marks, so the what if’s loom.

Francis is a monster though, he’s been only looking at Stipe since that fight. Stipe had cormier twice in wars and is older now. I predict he sees stars. If he doesn’t snd then Beats Jones. He’s the goat, how crazy is that.
2 fights for him to be the goat.

WTF? Come on, give it a rest.

LOL Beat Dustin and Justin...again?

What did Khabib do to you, personally? How can you possibly crowbar a reference to Khabib in a post about Francis vs Stipe? And a request for him to just run back some of the most one-sided wins in champtionship history? I don't think either of those fighters would even bother re-litigating against Khabib. You think Justin wants to run it back against Khabib? Just get squashed again?

I have nothing against Khabib, I think he COULD be a goat, which is what I said.
I have something against his resume and thus the claim that you and others give that he’s the goat.

My reference was in context to beating top guys in the division twice. It’s extremely difficult. I don’t think Stipe will do it. Conor destroyed Dustin the first time. Dustin destroyed Conor this time. So much changes. You can’t just say because an outcome happened before it would happen again.
Conor has some of the most THE most lopsided title fights in history as well. He put on a clinic for the 155 and he one punch KO’d the a GOAT candidate, at the time.

Longevity, money, age, small exposure sin your game, all play a factor. My point is fighting guys multiple
Times is way harder than fighting a guy once, which isn’t what people tend to think. They think because the guy lost the first time, they will again.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1603 » by Headliner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:58 am

Dupp wrote:Headliners anti Khabib stuff is very dumb. This fight between Conor and Dustin just highlighted the gap between Khabib and the rest. It’s huge. It’s like the gap between Beal and lebron.

Now if Charles destroys everyone then that’s a challenge but unlikely Charles is a tier above the rest. Khabib has destroyed Conor, Dustin and Justin already.

Really to challenge himself and raise is status he should be going up and beating usman, which he could.

Charles is a completely different beast than the others though. That’s a real interesting matchup because as it is, Khabib’s really only beaten strikers. Barbosa, RDA, Conor, jG, Dustin. That’s really the only names on his list as well. I’d love to see him fight Charles, that would be a nice win for him because of the ground game
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1604 » by Headliner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:04 am

cowboyronnie wrote:What if Khabib faced Justin Gaethje *two* times? Poirier *2* times? This "looms" over his legacy. They will be talking about this for decades to come. Like Ali vs Tyson. A "what if" question for the ages, plaguing our consciences.

I never said it looms. I said it would add to it.

Who are the other goat Candidates? GSP, Bones, Stipe, Mouse...they’ve all fought some of their toughest opponents more than once. That’s not an easy task, guys learn a lot from the first fight. They gauge power, get a feel for the others style and strength and speed, lose some nerve, notice things that worked or didn’t etc. Second time can be really different...like we saw last night, and what I think we might see in the Stipe vs Francis fight.

I was just saying it’s a difficult task, if Khabib could take out Charles and Chandler and maybe beat X and Y it would give his claim legitimacy.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,450

Post#1605 » by SichtingLives » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:49 am

I'm not buying into the hype with Francis until the belts around his waist. These other guys he's smashing aren't Stipe. Everyone knows he can knock the engine off a Cadillac but his issue is what he couldn't do when that option wasn't there. Stipe is still a far superior fighter, barring KO by sledgehammer this fight comes down to how much Francis has rounded out his skillset and how much poise he has when the fight gets grimy. If in the back of his mind he is still relying on one punch to win, I don't see the result coming out any different.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1606 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Dupp wrote:Really to challenge himself and raise is status he should be going up and beating usman, which he could.

Khabib and Usman have the same manager which makes them "brothers" and they would never fight.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1607 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:21 pm

I hope you guys are right RE Stipe/Ngannou. I like Stipe.

But still...RIP Stipe.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#1608 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:21 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Dupp wrote:Really to challenge himself and raise is status he should be going up and beating usman, which he could.

Khabib and Usman have the same manager which makes them "brothers" and they would never fight.

1) That’s dumb

2) Still, moving up weight class is the only thing that can challenge Khabib
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1609 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Dupp wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

1) That’s dumb

2) Still, moving up weight class is the only thing that can challenge Khabib

That was coming from Usman. So no clue how Khabib feels about it I guess. The fact that he reportedly was only willing to fight GSP at 155 makes me think that he doesn't have interest in moving up though.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1610 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:37 pm

I mean to be fair to headliner, a lot of people consider Cain to be the HW GOAT and all he ever really did was beat up JDS and BigFoot over and over again. So maybe there is something to having Khabib just destroy JG and DP back-to-back to back-to back? :)
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1611 » by Headliner » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:13 pm

REDDzone wrote:I mean to be fair to headliner, a lot of people consider Cain to be the HW GOAT and all he ever really did was beat up JDS and BigFoot over and over again. So maybe there is something to having Khabib just destroy JG and DP back-to-back to back-to back? :)

haha :)
I just meant it's another box that I consider when I look at goats, multiple wins over your toughest opponents. Like Bones beat Cormier twice. That's the best double win ever in the sport imo, because I consider Cormier a Goat contender. Stipe beat Cormier twice as well, the next best double win. GSP beat Hughes twice, Mouse beat Benavidez twice. The argument that Khabib's fights weren't competitive is fair though.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1612 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:08 pm

He ran through Justin in all three areas of MMA, like, 2.5 months ago. You want him to beat him again? Dustin beat Conor in a re-match but there were FIVE intermediating years.

There is no call at all for a re-match with Justin.

Also, 100% Justin would not take the fight. Neither would Poirier. Just to get run through again? They have **** to do. The only upside is that Khabib won't hurt you (especially if your Mom is in the audience).

I do want to see Jacare vs. Camozzi III, though. It's a big 'what if' in Jacare's legacy.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#1613 » by Dupp » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:24 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:He ran through Justin in all three areas of MMA, like, 2.5 months ago. You want him to beat him again? Dustin beat Conor in a re-match but there were FIVE intermediating years.

There is no call at all for a re-match with Justin.

Also, 100% Justin would not take the fight. Neither would Poirier. Just to get run through again? They have **** to do. The only upside is that Khabib won't hurt you (especially if your Mom is in the audience).

I do want to see Jacare vs. Camozzi III, though. It's a big 'what if' in Jacare's legacy.

Sorry to be a disagreeing Denny but Dustin would take the fight. He’s talked about wanting to fight Khabib again and going over in his head what he’d do different.

Dustins at the top of the world right now. Doubted every fight and beating the best of the best. He’d be down to lose to Khabib again. (I’m sure he’s happy he’s retired though)
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,760

Post#1614 » by spykelee » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:28 pm

Looks like we get Askeren and Jake Paul April 17th. I hope Ben can humble him but geez, his striking is just so putrid, it isn't inconceivable he gets ko'd.

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,887

Post#1615 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Smart move by Jake Paul, this way he can say he fought a legit fighter by picking the fighter with arguably the worst standup haha. But the casual fan won't know this, they will just see that Ben was a champion in Bellator and fought in the UFC.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1616 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:39 pm

Clearly CM Punk and Askren should have had a match to decide who faces Paul. Loser moves on.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1617 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:04 pm

You have to respect Askren for doing this, given that he knows there are some incredible 'Low-Lights' reels of his striking (those backfists!) that are going to posted a million times over the next few months.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,896

Post#1618 » by lobosloboslobos » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Headliner wrote:
Charles is a completely different beast than the others though. That’s a real interesting matchup because as it is, Khabib’s really only beaten strikers. Barbosa, RDA, Conor, jG, Dustin. That’s really the only names on his list as well. I’d love to see him fight Charles, that would be a nice win for him because of the ground game

Conor is a completely different beast than the others though.
Justin is a completely different beast than the others though.
Charles is a completely different beast than the others though.
:wink:

Seriously, you are arguing that Charles will have an advantage against Khabib compared to Conor and Justin – who knocked out everyone in their path – because of his ground game? You're saying he could take out Khabib on the ground???
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#1619 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:32 am

cowboyronnie wrote:You have to respect Askren for doing this, given that he knows there are some incredible 'Low-Lights' reels of his striking (those backfists!) that are going to posted a million times over the next few months.

What do you think of the matchup? They're about the same size but Paul has a 4 inch reach advantage. Only saw Paul box Nate Robinson, who was literally worse than I thought possible and just kept running into Paul.

I wonder how much work Askren has put into fighting at all since he left Bellator TBH. He ought to have more MMA striking training than Paul does boxing, but....
Dupp
RealGM

Post#1620 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 am

Costa vs rob in March or something. Wonder what excuse Dana will use to not give rob a title shot if he beats Paulo.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts