Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1621 » by Dupp » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:36 am

One thing bens got goon for him is he’s tough and can take a punch. Regardless of who wins he’s still gonna make Paul look like a good boxer.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#1622 » by Headliner » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:58 am

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Headliner wrote:
Charles is a completely different beast than the others though. That’s a real interesting matchup because as it is, Khabib’s really only beaten strikers. Barbosa, RDA, Conor, jG, Dustin. That’s really the only names on his list as well. I’d love to see him fight Charles, that would be a nice win for him because of the ground game

Conor is a completely different beast than the others though.
Justin is a completely different beast than the others though.
Charles is a completely different beast than the others though.
:wink:

Seriously, you are arguing that Charles will have an advantage against Khabib compared to Conor and Justin – who knocked out everyone in their path – because of his ground game? You're saying he could take out Khabib on the ground???

right,no one should ever try to fight him again because he beat Conor Mcgregor and Justin? The Khabib arguments are so strange, he doesn’t even need to fight anyone he’s just automatically the win because he dominated and pounded his previous fights. The guy is obviously elite, but it doesn't mean he's invincible.

He might very well destroy Charles, he's crazy strong and a monster when on top, but you can’t say it’s a forgone conclusion until it happens. Anderson Silva was supposed to steamroll Chris W, but he basically ended his career, and silva was the most dominant fighter ever at the time.

And are you seriously comparing strikers like Conor, JG Dustin, and Barbosa’s ground game to Charles? The guy is a legend for his ground game. It’s why the fight is interesting. Khabib might rag doll him, but Charles is a wizard, maybe he finds away to Nullify some of the offense and survive or thrive? Charles isn’t anything close to the list of strikers that Khabib has beat, but it's a 5 round fight and we don't know how Khabib will do cardio wise in deep waters, maybe that's an advantage for Charles, who might be able to use his world class ground game to survive long enough to get into those water. Who knows.

It’s fights like that that can expose a hole, that then other fighters can use to exploit. It’s what happens when you actually fight elite fighters lots of times and not just 3-4 times
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1623 » by Headliner » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:14 am

Paul has Jorge training him lol.

He wants Diaz next. Man oh man, what a circus, but it’s somewhat entertaining because it’s actual fighters he’s targeting
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#1624 » by aggerrard » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:59 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:You have to respect Askren for doing this, given that he knows there are some incredible 'Low-Lights' reels of his striking (those backfists!) that are going to posted a million times over the next few months.

Money talks. I don't really respect him for taking the fight - heck most people would take 2-3 million over some memes.

Don't know how much Ben will make - but i highly doubt it's more than 3 million USD, with those two headlining the card. Still lots of money.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#1625 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:10 pm

Headliner wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
Headliner wrote:
Charles is a completely different beast than the others though. That’s a real interesting matchup because as it is, Khabib’s really only beaten strikers. Barbosa, RDA, Conor, jG, Dustin. That’s really the only names on his list as well. I’d love to see him fight Charles, that would be a nice win for him because of the ground game

Conor is a completely different beast than the others though.
Justin is a completely different beast than the others though.
Charles is a completely different beast than the others though.
:wink:

Seriously, you are arguing that Charles will have an advantage against Khabib compared to Conor and Justin – who knocked out everyone in their path – because of his ground game? You're saying he could take out Khabib on the ground???

right,no one should ever try to fight him again because he beat Conor Mcgregor and Justin? The Khabib arguments are so strange, he doesn’t even need to fight anyone he’s just automatically the win because he dominated and pounded his previous fights. The guy is obviously elite, but it doesn't mean he's invincible.

He might very well destroy Charles, he's crazy strong and a monster when on top, but you can’t say it’s a forgone conclusion until it happens. Anderson Silva was supposed to steamroll Chris W, but he basically ended his career, and silva was the most dominant fighter ever at the time.

And are you seriously comparing strikers like Conor, JG Dustin, and Barbosa’s ground game to Charles? The guy is a legend for his ground game. It’s why the fight is interesting. Khabib might rag doll him, but Charles is a wizard, maybe he finds away to Nullify some of the offense and survive or thrive? Charles isn’t anything close to the list of strikers that Khabib has beat, but it's a 5 round fight and we don't know how Khabib will do cardio wise in deep waters, maybe that's an advantage for Charles, who might be able to use his world class ground game to survive long enough to get into those water. Who knows.

It’s fights like that that can expose a hole, that then other fighters can use to exploit. It’s what happens when you actually fight elite fighters lots of times and not just 3-4 times

Sure Silva was the most dominant fighter ever at the time but he was brutalized by Chael Sonnen for 5 rounds and only escaped by his genius. Khabib has arguably never lost a round in his life. Anyway, like you I'd like to see him fight again. And it's always true that anything is possible. But grappling is not exactly Khabib's weakness.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#1626 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:04 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote: And it's always true that anything is possible. But grappling is not exactly Khabib's weakness.

The way he comes forward he is vulnerable. Someone needs to have the stones to try putting him on his back. Is what I would say if we weren't talking about someone who has retired.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1627 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:13 pm

Someone actually put him on his back pretty easily. I think it was Abel Trujillo. Khabib immediately threw up armbars, triangles, etc. if I recall correctly.

Yea, he's got a good guard too lmao.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1628 » by REDDzone » Tue Feb 9, 2021 4:59 pm

I really, really hope Poirier or Oliveira don't fall for this Nate Diaz callout at 170 nonsense.

Both of these guys used to fight at 145! No way they should take a fight at 170.

Guys who go up a weight class but just continue to call out guys from the original class (or lower) is f*cking annoying.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1629 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 am

At this point Khabib hasn’t shown weakness as champ, but he’s had literally 4 title fights.

Jones at 4 title fights was Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Evans.

Silva was Rich Franklin, Travis Lutter, Nate marquardt, Rich Franklin 2.

Sticking around and fighting a bunch of guys people think have no hope of winning has a way of exposing chinks in the armor, or just flat out leading to complacency.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1630 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:At this point Khabib hasn’t shown weakness as champ, but he’s had literally 4 title fights.

Sticking around and fighting a bunch of guys people think have no hope of winning has a way of exposing chinks in the armor, or just flat out leading to complacency.

Silva obviously wasn't unbeatable...he had multiple losses.

Jones is a coked up dude who was inflated from roiding. Do you think Khabib has either issue? One time he had tiramisu.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1631 » by Headliner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:58 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:At this point Khabib hasn’t shown weakness as champ, but he’s had literally 4 title fights.

Silva obviously wasn't unbeatable...he had multiple losses.

Jones is a coked up dude who was inflated from roiding. Do you think Khabib has either issue? One time he had tiramisu.

There's been accusations about him and steroids' for years, regarding his massive weight cuts, a huge body transformation around 2016 I believe, his extended periods of times off have brought up accusations of cycling, etc, his association with Ali who talked about EPO usage with fighters and how Ali was part of the steroid scandal in Judo in the Olympics. Ali also represented Werdum (popped) and other Dagestan fighters, who were his close friends and training partners like Zubaira Tukhugov, Islam Makhachev (turned over), Ruslan Magomedov (Think he was banned he popped so much), Mairbek Taisumov who all popped for roids.
Also the fact that he's in Russia means the testing isn't nearly under the same scrutiny of American Fighters. Fighters have spoken out saying some of the Russians aren't even tested.
“There are people who live in Russia and aren’t tested,” a UFC fighter said. “There are people who go to Thailand and aren’t tested. It’s a way of bypassing the anti-doping (testing). That’s the truth. Everybody who goes to Russia, to Thailand, to do camps, they do it to dope. To take steroids.”
Added another UFC competitor: “I truly feel like there are a lot of foreign fighters still getting away with stuff. I’m hugely in support of drug testing. They can test me whenever they want to. I just want it to be the same for everyone.”

Doesn't mean he did it, but if you are suggesting that people haven't made that accusation, you're wrong. Just because media isn't saying it doesn't mean there isn't accusations. I think it's far more likely he's used than not.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1632 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:46 pm

The point is that JJ's performance were quite conceivably inflated by doping, that's all. That's why he has fallen off and been less dominant against bums.

Either Khabib dopes or he doesn't. If he doesn't, there will be no drop off. If he does, he's gotten away with it for 5+ years that JJ has not. So why would there be a drop off?

What's going to change between Gaethje I and Gaethje II? Or Poirier I and Poirier II. Or Conor I and Conor II.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1633 » by Headliner » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:07 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:The point is that JJ's performance were quite conceivably inflated by doping, that's all. That's why he has fallen off and been less dominant against bums.

Either Khabib dopes or he doesn't. If he doesn't, there will be no drop off. If he does, he's gotten away with it for 5+ years that JJ has not. So why would there be a drop off?

What's going to change between Gaethje I and Gaethje II? Or Poirier I and Poirier II. Or Conor I and Conor II.

Well first we are trying to compare a drop off of a guy that has battle scars of a 4 meaningful fights vs someone with battle scars of like 19 meaningful fights. It's a combat sport, you can have one fight that dramatically changes the entire trajectory of your career, and the wear and tear of not only fighting that number of fights vs high level competition, but training is lasting.

One knee injury, one broken jaw, one broken rib whatever, and the entire game changes. He hasn't been challenged like other fighters in the category. He hasn't come close to facing the likes of competition like Jones, GSP, Mouse, or even DC. The guy really only has 2 title defenses. You can't consider Al Iaqunta on Short notice a title fight. That's an absolute circus to get the title on him because they can't postpone Khabib and needed a title fight for the card, but even so, comparing wins over Conor, Dustin, Justin, RDA to Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Evans, Belfort, Gustaffson X 2, DC x 2, Glover, OSP, Reyes, Santos etc. I just can't even fathom it.
WHen you have 19 wars and 19 fight camps vs 4 wars and 4 fight camps for high level competition, there's bound to be a drop off at some point just from the beating you have put on your body.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1634 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:11 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:The point is that JJ's performance were quite conceivably inflated by doping, that's all. That's why he has fallen off and been less dominant against bums.

It's the lightweight division though. 145/155/170 are always stacked with talent. By my count, Khabib has only beaten 4 of the top 15 guys at LW. Even if you don't believe Poirier or JG could beat him in a rematch, that doesn't mean he doesn't have more to accomplish if he so chooses.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1635 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:26 pm

And even if he did end up fighting some guys again... Did GSP need to go through his mid-career rematch tour and beat up Fitch/Kos/BJ, etc. again? Nah. But it certainly added to his resume and legacy.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1636 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Sure. GSP is the GOAT.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#1637 » by aggerrard » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:51 pm

Those so-called bums would absolutely destroy the first generation JJ ran through - Shogun, Rampage, Sonnen, Evans, Vitor and Machida. This new generation is levels above. What made the LHW division so popular? The fact everyone could beat everyone. They were all good, but not elite. Then Jones came as an elite fighter and dismantled every single one of them. The competition clearly became much tougher when he faced a newer generation with fighters like Gus x2, DC x2 and Glover.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1638 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:10 am

You're wrong. He looked like garbage against even bums, like OSP on short-notice (JJ comeback after a bust) and Smith. And a MW with one leg.

Post-drug bust.

Smith is transplanted to 2008, you think he's beating Rampage? Santos? OSP?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1639 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:15 am

He beat the dog **** out of Smith, and even in the fight he’s looked bad, he’s neverr even really taken much damage aside from the Gus fight.

The OSP fight is almost exactly the same as Khabib vs Iaquinta. One guy surviving, and the dominant fighter just coasting to a victory and never really pressing. So Khabib looked like **** too? What about the Tibau fight? If you cut Jones career to just his first 4 title fights, he had never struggled to do anything like that. 33 strikes out of 112 compared to Tibau’s 46 on 110, 0/13 on takedowns to Gleison’s 1/6. His whole career wasn’t just sheer dominance. He’s honestly never had a fight go that bad for him, especially against a nobody.

And the First Gus fight is a prime example. Literally no one gave him any type of chance, and he just ended up matching up well. That’s the kind of stuff that is more likely to happen when you have 14 title fights as opposed to 4. Someone is bound to give you hell eventually, it’s just a matter of when, and we usually don’t see it coming.

Whether or not Jones doped is irrelevant, the point was that a lot of guys were deemed to have hit an unbeatable peak when they were 4 title fights in. It’s honestly an extremely low sample size compared to other great champions. The mount rushmore guys have the same number of title fights or more than Khabib has total UFC fights.

Tldr: small sample size comparatively.

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#1640 » by Jasen777 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:20 pm

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts