Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#241 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Headliner wrote:If they axe 125, maybe Dana will be more willing to create 165.

We've had this argument ad nauseum, but even though I don't care about flyweight, I still always saw the merits of the argument made by susan and others that the UFC ahould keep the division.

No longer. Demetrious is leaving the UFC. Sergio is moving up. That is two top 5 fighters from the weakest division in the sport gone. Here are the current rankings:

Champion: Henry Cejudo
1) Jussier Formiga
2) Joseph Benavidez
3) Ray Borg
4) Deiveson Figueiredo
5) John Moraga
6) Wilson Reis
7) Dustin Ortiz
8) Alexandre Pantoja
9) Brandon Moreno
10) Ben Nguyen
11) Tim Elliott
12) Matheus Nicolau
13) Ulka Sasaki

Pretty sure I haven't heard of four of those fighters.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#242 » by Headliner » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 pm

And how many of those guys could realistically fight at 135? I would assume a good handful could be competitive, so it's not as though they would be left option less.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,508

Post#243 » by Bernman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Headliner wrote:If they axe 125, maybe Dana will be more willing to create 165.

We've had this argument ad nauseum, but even though I don't care about flyweight, I still always saw the merits of the argument made by susan and others that the UFC ahould keep the division.

No longer. Demetrious is leaving the UFC. Sergio is moving up. That is two top 5 fighters from the weakest division in the sport gone. Here are the current rankings:

Champion: Henry Cejudo
1) Jussier Formiga
2) Joseph Benavidez
3) Ray Borg
4) Deiveson Figueiredo
5) John Moraga
6) Wilson Reis
7) Dustin Ortiz
8) Alexandre Pantoja
9) Brandon Moreno
10) Ben Nguyen
11) Tim Elliott
12) Matheus Nicolau
13) Ulka Sasaki

Pretty sure I haven't heard of four of those fighters.

I nodded off halfway thru reading that list of names. In all seriousness, I'd still like to see Cejudo as a fire hydrant, and Elliott, Formiga, Moraga, and Figueredo with some meat on their bones. The rest can go to One and get punked by DJ like the good ol' days. East Asians can live vicariously through them like Americans do through fat guys with Roy.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#244 » by Susan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:07 pm

DJ, Cejudo, Horiguchi, Benavidez and Deiveson Figueiredo is a dynamic top 5 for a division.

Let them all go to Japan and let 125 thrive over there.
Slo
Head Coach
And1: 8,532

Post#245 » by Slo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Askren being so active on twitter means that its actually going down :o **** im so pumped, never thought it might really happen, UFC did alot of things wrong lately but if you get Askren in i forgive it all!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#246 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Who do you guys want to see Askren fight after he destroys GSP on New Year's and then clobbers Khabib on Memorial Day?
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,887

Post#247 » by Jasen777 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 pm

REDDzone wrote:Who do you guys want to see Askren fight after he destroys GSP on New Year's and then clobbers Khabib on Memorial Day?

I want to see him noogie both Diaz brothers at the same time for 25 minutes.
Susan
RealGM

Post#248 » by Susan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 pm

REDDzone wrote:Who do you guys want to see Askren fight after he destroys GSP on New Year's and then clobbers Khabib on Memorial Day?

Colby needs to be humbled.

Demian Maia.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#249 » by Jasen777 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:09 pm

I don't think I could be a fighter. I'd be tweeting like, "it would be a great honor to fight Ben Askren".
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#250 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:14 pm

If Ben's twitter is any indication, seems like Till may be the opponent?
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,508

Post#251 » by Bernman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 pm

REDDzone wrote:If Ben's twitter is any indication, seems like Till may be the opponent?

I really hope it's in Milwaukee. Even though I've been open about not being a fan of his style, what that card really needs is cache, and he'd certainly bring it in the co-main event vs. someone of Till's (or Gamebred's) ilk. That card doesn't have a legit co-main event, and it only even has 2 deserving main card fights, while being near full with no injuries yet. Maybe they just made that card the sacrificial lamb because they don't have to appease Fox execs anymore and were compelled to throw any bone to their Harley Sponsor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_on_Fox:_Lee_vs._Iaquinta_2
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#252 » by Jasen777 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Anyways. I'd do Woodley vs. GSP (this assumes GSP wants it of course), then shut down 170 and open 165 and 175.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#253 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:16 am

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

OK that's bloody hilarious. I was never a big fan of Askren and cared even less since he never made it to the UFC but he's throwing L's left and right these past couple days and he isn't even signed yet and I love that

I'm genuinely interested now
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#254 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:20 am

Headliner wrote:And how many of those guys could realistically fight at 135? I would assume a good handful could be competitive, so it's not as though they would be left option less.

Half of those guys are killing themselves to make 125 and they are half just have to make a slightly less of a weight cut and just because it's a more shallow division. They are going to be fine at 135.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#255 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:22 am

As much as I want him to fight Khabib or GSP next, I lowkey want him to put Colby in his baby car seat first just so he no longer has a interim champ platform to talk on again.
Susan
RealGM

Post#256 » by Susan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#257 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:24 am

You can totally call people our and troll people without all that BS that Colby says. Askren twitter game is strong
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#258 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:45 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:You can totally call people our and troll people without all that BS that Colby says. Askren twitter game is strong

Dude. I literally logged on to post this exact same thing. I personally don't really care about Colby's nonsense. I don't even follow him on any social media platform - it's just too over the top and stupid for me. But I know there have been a lot of debates about whether or not what he says is over the line, etc. Askren is clearly a heel, but if someone said his trash talk is over the line, they would rightfully be told to go follow a new sport.

I love what Ben's been doing.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#259 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Bernman wrote:
REDDzone wrote:If Ben's twitter is any indication, seems like Till may be the opponent?

I really hope it's in Milwaukee. Even though I've been open about not being a fan of his style, what that card really needs is cache, and he'd certainly bring it in the co-main event vs. someone of Till's (or Gamebred's) ilk. That card doesn't have a legit co-main event, and it only even has 2 deserving main card fights, while being near full with no injuries yet. Maybe they just made that card the sacrificial lamb because they don't have to appease Fox execs anymore and were compelled to throw any bone to their Harley Sponsor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_on_Fox:_Lee_vs._Iaquinta_2

I never even considered this as a possibility due to how soon it's taking place, but would be amazing. I don't care enough to attend as is. Hell even the guys at the gym who are MMA fans have told me they aren't going. This would be a gamechanger for sure. Askren has a big following, just due to his involvement in the wrestling and MMA community in WI alone with his academies, etc.

Speculation on the UG is they would set him up with Till and try to do Anfield in the UK? Not sure. I will say that someone pointed out a few weeks ago that Ben has been doing all his wrestling vids without shoes lately, so speculation is that he's been training for a fight. Not sure how valid although I could probably find out...
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#260 » by qm22 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

My worlds just collided and I have to say RIP to the Platinum GOD.

I love Askren is going to fight in the UFC, but he's past confidence and being a bit unnecessarily disrespectful here IMO. Just too full of himself; he should wait until after his first fights in the UFC to do so or it's cringey to me. And I don't get why he's calling out Khabib and GSP when Khabib seems to have a clear opponent and is at a different weight class and GSP said he aint interested. It makes sense in the some ways but it seems like Ben wouldn't think it's really going to happen unless I'm missing something. Anyway, welcome Ben... hope he gets good fights.

I also don't get why the UFC brought him in. It's a good move for the UFC but Dana seemed like he likes to **** with Askren. According to Ben, Dana blocked him from the UFC out of spite and/or dislike of his style. So if Dana is willing to bring him over now I imagine they he has some fights he hopes he wins, somehow... I doubt they couldn't have let mighty mouse finish his contract out and leave, if that was the goal. But, Askren's multiple call outs suggest he has no specific pre-ordained plan. This is all some weird **** man...

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts