BorkLazer
Senior
And1: 427

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#381 » by BorkLazer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:28 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Prez wrote:daaaaamn

Read on Twitter

I thought they were going to have Cain vs Stipe. But still a good fight. Also great way to completely kill Ngannou's mind set again. If Cain is only like 80% of sea level Cain, he is going to beat down Ngannou like no other.

Did Ngannou f**k Dana's wife or something? Why do they hate him so much? Should've done Francis vs Volkov instead. Then book Cain vs Travis Browne, just because I love seeing Browne get his ass kicked.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,611

Post#382 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:18 am

BorkLazer wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Prez wrote:daaaaamn

Read on Twitter

I thought they were going to have Cain vs Stipe. But still a good fight. Also great way to completely kill Ngannou's mind set again. If Cain is only like 80% of sea level Cain, he is going to beat down Ngannou like no other.

Did Ngannou f**k Dana's wife or something? Why do they hate him so much? Should've done Francis vs Volkov instead. Then book Cain vs Travis Browne, just because I love seeing Browne get his ass kicked.

Never seen someone go from Dana's favorite to someone it looks like he's trying to kill his career this fast.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#383 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:03 pm

What problem do you guys have with this fight? Ngannou is what? 33 years old and already challenged for a title? You can't just have him go through his entire career and never fight a wrestler.

Cain literally has 2 fights since 2013. If Ngannou can't capitalize on a fight like this, meh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
BorkLazer
Senior

Post#384 » by BorkLazer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm

REDDzone wrote:What problem do you guys have with this fight? Ngannou is what? 33 years old and already challenged for a title? You can't just have him go through his entire career and never fight a wrestler.

Cain literally has 2 fights since 2013. If Ngannou can't capitalize on a fight like this, meh.

My problem with it is the HW division is absolutely bare outside of the top-4. They need to be trying to build Ngannou up with guys who more closely match his skillset. I agree that he can't avoid wrestlers, but damn, Cain might just be the best HW the UFC has ever had, layoff or not. Cain legitimately could end Ngannou's hopes of ever getting a title shot again with a dominant win.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#385 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Cain should pay Rogan royalties for perpetuating the biggest myth in MMA history.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
BorkLazer
Senior

Post#386 » by BorkLazer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:04 pm

REDDzone wrote:Cain should pay Rogan royalties for perpetuating the biggest myth in MMA history.

Who would be in your all-time UFC heavyweight top 10?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#387 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:06 pm

BorkLazer wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Cain should pay Rogan royalties for perpetuating the biggest myth in MMA history.

Cain would be near or at the top of the list, for sure. I'm not sh*tting on Cain here. But this notion that him vs Ngannou is SUCH A MISMATCH that the UFC boss must have a personal vendetta against Ngannou for making the fight is just asinine IMO. Cain is/was a great fighter but he's not exactly Jon Jones. I realize Rogan and some MMA fans have an excuse for every strike that has ever landed on him, but he's been finished twice, only fought twice in the last five years, and his prime stretch that is so heralded was literally him just fighting JDS and Bigfoot over and over again for 3-4 years.

Ngannou is in his prime, the current #3 ranked guy, and hits as hard as anyone ever. Obviously since this is HW mma, it could end in 4 seconds in either direction and that would be that.
BorkLazer
Senior

Post#388 » by BorkLazer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:35 pm

REDDzone wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:

Cain would be near or at the top of the list, for sure. I'm not sh*tting on Cain here. But this notion that him vs Ngannou is SUCH A MISMATCH that the UFC boss must have a personal vendetta against Ngannou for making the fight is just asinine IMO. Cain is/was a great fighter but he's not exactly Jon Jones. I realize Rogan and some MMA fans have an excuse for every strike that has ever landed on him, but he's been finished twice, only fought twice in the last five years, and his prime stretch that is so heralded was literally him just fighting JDS and Bigfoot over and over again for 3-4 years.

Ngannou is in his prime, the current #3 ranked guy, and hits as hard as anyone ever. Obviously since this is HW mma, it could end in 4 seconds in either direction and that would be that.

Ngannou can't wrestle, Cain is very good in that aspect. Their striking, other than power, is pretty much identical. I think most people are expecting Cain to take Ngannou down and keep it there.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#389 » by Headliner » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:49 pm

Francis had an interview where he said he mentally was broken by being taken down and not knowing what to do.
Cain is obviously a scary matchup for him, not because Cain is an elite fighter and Francis isn’t, but that Cain is an elite wrestler for a HW and that’s Francis’ weakest area.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#390 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 am

If you have to protect Ngannou from other top fighters, he doesn't deserve title consideration. This coming from a Francis fan.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#391 » by REDDzone » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:47 am

BorkLazer wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:

Ngannou can't wrestle, Cain is very good in that aspect. Their striking, other than power, is pretty much identical. I think most people are expecting Cain to take Ngannou down and keep it there.

The rumor mill is that Ngannou completely ignores wrestling/grappling in training and just trains standup. He was at the PI for awhile just with his coach and no camp and no grappling.

If he gets dominated here, his issue is that he ignores half the game, not that Dana has it out for him by matching him with good fighters.
BorkLazer
Senior

Post#392 » by BorkLazer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:31 pm

REDDzone wrote:
BorkLazer wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

The rumor mill is that Ngannou completely ignores wrestling/grappling in training and just trains standup. He was at the PI for awhile just with his coach and no camp and no grappling.

If he gets dominated here, his issue is that he ignores half the game, not that Dana has it out for him by matching him with good fighters.

I agree with you, but I also see it a different way. Dana is a promoter, and his job is to build up popular fighters above most else. Ngannou had a ton of eyes on him after he decapitated Overeem. Then he got exposed and lost his confidence to Stipe. They tried to match him with someone he could stand and bang with in Lewis, but Ngannou's confidence was shot. Then they put him in with Blaydes, a fight I think most people had Ngannou losing but he was able to pull of a very solid win. Now, instead of giving him another HW that he could build his confidence and status back up with, along with improve his game, they feed him to a returning Cain, who I think beats current Francis at even 80% health. If Ngannou loses this fight, especially if he doesn't make it the full 5 in a loss, you can't give him top-5 fights anymore. That would, in my eyes, pretty much end his chances at a UFC title.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#393 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Jeremy Stephens vs Zabit in talks right now for a March fight.

Zabit the much more skilled fighter, but damn no doubt a risk going against a guy with the power like Stephens. Would love to see that one.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#394 » by Headliner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:08 pm

UFC relaxes a cryptic message of Dec 29th I think and then a flash of a belt with an American flag and a Canadian flag and then a flash of the belt saying world champion.

My guess...the New Years card is going to unveil the 165 division and announce the fight will be GSP vs an American. Just my guess absolutely nothing to substantiate that lol.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#395 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Headliner wrote:UFC relaxes a cryptic message of Dec 29th I think and then a flash of a belt with an American flag and a Canadian flag and then a flash of the belt saying world champion.

My guess...the New Years card is going to unveil the 165 division and announce the fight will be GSP vs an American. Just my guess absolutely nothing to substantiate that lol.

Oh damn I didnt even think that. Cant think of what American it would be though. I just assumed if they were going to open up with a 165 belt, they would automatically have Conor fight for it.

I thought the thing was just them announcing a new looking belt. Your idea is much more exciting haha.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#396 » by Bernman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

I just heard an interview where Dana ardently denied serious interest in a 165 lb division. Not that he doesn't lie regularly, but can't see the motive to do it in this case.

In the same interview he said he didn't think GSP would fight again because he was waiting for the perfect fight. Now, that's a fluid situation and could have been put out there to compel him I suppose. But even then we're more likely talking about a 170 lb fight against Covington for the interim title, Woodley full belt, or Whittaker at 185. Said no chance GSP was moving down to 155, so that leads one further away from a 165 lb title fight.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#397 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 pm

All the big money, a 3rd belt, and all the interest is for GSP at 155, a weight he can easily make. What's he waiting for again?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#398 » by Headliner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:31 pm

Bones made a message about the cryptic message as well. Said that it belongs to him or something. Some speculating a 215 or 195 division or some-sort of upper weight class.

Bisping said it’s just new design for the belts. Every champions country flag will be placed on the title. Cool idea, but hardly exciting in the slightest.

Dana just needs to do these divisions already. Everyone wants it. 165 and 195 let’s do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#399 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:42 pm

I'd be down for some new weights. If they scrapped the 125 division then they should add a 165 or a 225 imo
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#400 » by Jasen777 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:27 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I'd be down for some new weights. If they scrapped the 125 division then they should add a 165 or a 225 imo

225 is just HW minus the handful of guys who couldn't cut there, no need for that (and LHWs have done fine moving up to 265). they should absolutely scrap 170 and open 165 and 175 though.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts