Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#61 » by Jasen777 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:54 am

NZB2323 wrote:Speaking of watered down events, too many titles, and lack of promotion, did you guys know that someone named Nicco Montano is defending her belt on September 8th? I know I'm not the most hardcore fan, but I'm more than a casual, and I had never heard of her while looking ahead to future cards. Now I know her Wiki page, but beyond that, I couldn't tell you a single thing about her.

Correction: she is handing the belt over to the division's true ruler in a fight that is frankly borderline if the commission should let happen.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#62 » by Headliner » Sat Aug 4, 2018 10:44 am

Niko is going to get destroyed, I wouldn’t be surprised if she pulls out to keep avoiding the fight
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 1:34 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:Speaking of watered down events, too many titles, and lack of promotion, did you guys know that someone named Nicco Montano is defending her belt on September 8th? I know I'm not the most hardcore fan, but I'm more than a casual, and I had never heard of her while looking ahead to future cards. Now I know her Wiki page, but beyond that, I couldn't tell you a single thing about her.

Correction: she is handing the belt over to the division's true ruler in a fight that is frankly borderline if the commission should let happen.

If Khabib vs Paul Felder wasnt close enough, no way this fight should be allowed. This might end up being the most lop sided handing over a belt we have ever seen. I actually feel bad for Nicco.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#64 » by REDDzone » Sat Aug 4, 2018 7:19 pm

If she pulls out again they really need to just strip her. Blackball her and GDR.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#65 » by Susan » Tue Aug 7, 2018 10:38 pm

Good guy that Darren Till.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#66 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 8, 2018 1:42 pm

Has anyone watched any of Ariel's new show on ESPN? Its kind of mindblowing to me that he formerly worked for an MMA website and the technical aspects of the show were so much better than they are now. Just constant connections dropping with guests, etc. He barely even tries Skype anymore he just calls them right away at the first sign of trouble because he knows they can't figure it out lol.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 4:26 pm

REDDzone wrote:Has anyone watched any of Ariel's new show on ESPN? Its kind of mindblowing to me that he formerly worked for an MMA website and the technical aspects of the show were so much better than they are now. Just constant connections dropping with guests, etc. He barely even tries Skype anymore he just calls them right away at the first sign of trouble because he knows they can't figure it out lol.

It is crazy how the production value has dropped pretty significantly. Its not just his show either, his show with Chael seems like it is run by amateurs. Take this video as example

Background music just randomly cutting in and out all throughout the video. Its not like the music starts as a cue for a topic change or for them to switch whos talking. Music just randomly come on and off throughout the segment. So I feel like Ariel just got the scraps for the production budget haha.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#68 » by REDDzone » Wed Aug 8, 2018 4:36 pm

God, its so true. That was the other thing. Not having the ability to hold a Skype connection is far from the only issue. You can also randomly hear the production people through the audio and on more than one occasion you can't hear everyone in the studio if there is more than one guest at once. Finally, all the fighter guests have been complaining that the Skype is only one way.

I'm personally not a fan of NewYorkRic (cohost guy) because I think his attempts to create discussion by always disagreeing with Ariel no matter what is just too transparent that it annoys me. But they have minimized his role down to nothing. I also feel like there is less room for Ariel's own takes and conjecture and fan participation is also nothing now. As a long time listener of the show, I feel like the spirit has been taken out of it a little bit, its just chugging along with guest after guest after guest now, seeing how many they can fit in the timeframe and around all the technical issues.
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#69 » by qm22 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 10:34 am

Recent news says Dana White interested in meeting with Ben Askren, but only if he is clear with ONE and a FA. I'm not sure what the deal with Askren is, because he talked as if he was capable of going to Bellator and I think the UFC. I'm not sure if ONE was looking for him to have a dual status or to do a one fight deal and return somehow. Otherwise I have no idea why Askren was talking about a fight against MacDonald or GSP (on a side note, the idea of GSP going to ONE to fight Askren is humorously intriguing one). I think Askren has some sort of promotional and gym involvement ties to ONE that are active, despite his fighting retirement.

The hilarious thing is Askren said he was forced to secure a release from Bellator in order to sign with the UFC after they (Fertitas, iirc) said they wanted him, and then Dana backstabbed him behind the scenes. And yet the reporters discussing it with Dana didn't really probe this.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#70 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:44 pm

USADA bowl is off. Yoel says he needs 4-5 months before he comes back.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#71 » by Bernman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 pm

That sucks. Wouldn't feel guilty about 2 probably roided up guys beating each other silly.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#72 » by spykelee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Did you guys see where some dude got chocked unconscious in an anaconda choke and the guy held it for ninety seconds after the dude was out Becuase the ref didn't stop the fight. Scary stuff man.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2018/8/21/17761774/mma-fighter-choked-unconscious-90-seconds-saw-death-close
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,744

Post#73 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:52 am

I'm lazy so putting this here: https://www.tsn.ca/cyborg-nunes-super-fight-set-for-ufc-232-1.1161557

Nunes vs Cyborg Dec. 29th in Vegas, it's at bantam weight.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,873

Post#74 » by Jasen777 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:57 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Nunes vs Cyborg Dec. 29th in Vegas, it's at bantam weight.

It's at featherweight, which is good because Cyborg would probably kill herself making 135.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:32 am

Ah yeah, I read it wrong/misunderstood /fail on my part.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#76 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Nunes is a beast, that is probably the biggest women's fight possible.

Surprised they got Cyborg to wait, she was adamant that she wanted to get a fight in before that fight vs Nunes. With Cyborg talking about how she's not re-signing with UFC after her contrast, UFC will be rooting HARD for Nunes. Despite Rogan's stories about how WME guys were talking about how Nunes was just fodder for Ronda. lol.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:26 am

https://www.tsn.ca/report-holloway-to-defend-title-against-ortega-at-ufc-231-in-toronto-1.1162712

Only verbal not written as of yet. Do we have any other info on matches for that card?

So I can decide/consider going/buying tickets? Please & thanks.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#78 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Is it weird going to an event alone ? Serious question, lol. my friends aren’t the biggest fans, and they wouldn’t shell out the money for the prices that I’m preparing for.. but I really want to go.

I’ll always regret missing out on that Cub-Choi fight.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#79 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:51 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Is it weird going to an event alone ? Serious question, lol. my friends aren’t the biggest fans, and they wouldn’t shell out the money for the prices that I’m preparing for.. but I really want to go.

Make friends lol
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#80 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:27 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:Is it weird going to an event alone ? Serious question, lol. my friends aren’t the biggest fans, and they wouldn’t shell out the money for the prices that I’m preparing for.. but I really want to go.

Make friends lol

I wish it that was easy. :(

Oddly, I find it tougher to do so in a big city. I might just buy a “cheap seat” and watch from afar. If my future wife Randa Markos fights, I’ll definitely buy a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Thank you Clutch0z24

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts