Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#681 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:50 pm

REDDzone wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:Hardly anything like you guys, just a hobby really. Only a blue belt in BJJ but Misha helps out with the beginners, he's a true stand up guy. A bit chinny as a fighter, and the hype train was derailed a long time ago, but he deserves all the respect he gets in the gym. As for your Tri-Star assessment, you're definitely right. We can even add Randa Markos to that list, especially after her last performance. They do have some bright spots for the future though, Bektic and Nasrat look like future contenders. Bektic may already be solidified as one.

Can you clarify the Randa comment, was she at Tristar then left or...?

If you train with her, I'm sorry for saying she sucks. I was actually a fan of her on TUF. She has just been so up and down since then for whatever reason. I've trained with a lot of guys who put their heart and soul into this sport so I know how reading some hamburger eater sitting at a computer screen flippantly remarking about how they suck can be annoying. Especially after a tough loss.

No, I don't train at all with Randa, just meant that she's one of those fighters that has looked a lot better since leaving TriStar, even though she doesn't really have one gym she trains at, mainly at a local place in Windsor. It does speak volumes that a gym on that level has helped with her progression more than Tri-Star. I just love her because I associate with her upbringing and story, I know what it's like first hand leaving Iran-Iraq war and coming to Canada.

Haha don't be sorry at all, i'm just a huge fan because of the TUF season as well. I know you and others train, I've enjoyed the info about Rick Glenn and such, I never take it to heart. It's one of the reasons why I always poke around and come back to this part of the forums. Cheers man!

I think Tri-Star is an overrated gym, and that's coming from someone who LOVES that gym for the sake of being a pipeline for Canadian MMA. Firas tries to do too much with fighters sometimes, the Rory-Wonderboy fight was so puzzling. Firas wanted Rory to use Thompson's style against him, and that's the fight that caused Rory to start training more with Toshido (his original gym in British Columbia). I think Firas is very intelligent, but the strategy can be so puzzling sometimes.
Thank you Clutch0z24
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#682 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:31 pm

Honest question but is Matt Hume in that same tier of "mythical" coaching greats? I'm not saying he isn't a great coach but he seemed to have found his perfect student for his style of coaching and they just had a ton of success together. Hume does have Bibiano Fernandes as one of his students so you could argue he's less of a myth?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#683 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:34 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:Hardly anything like you guys, just a hobby really. Only a blue belt in BJJ but Misha helps out with the beginners, he's a true stand up guy. A bit chinny as a fighter, and the hype train was derailed a long time ago, but he deserves all the respect he gets in the gym. As for your Tri-Star assessment, you're definitely right. We can even add Randa Markos to that list, especially after her last performance. They do have some bright spots for the future though, Bektic and Nasrat look like future contenders. Bektic may already be solidified as one.

If you train with her, I'm sorry for saying she sucks. I was actually a fan of her on TUF. She has just been so up and down since then for whatever reason. I've trained with a lot of guys who put their heart and soul into this sport so I know how reading some hamburger eater sitting at a computer screen flippantly remarking about how they suck can be annoying. Especially after a tough loss.

No, I don't train at all with Randa, just meant that she's one of those fighters that has looked a lot better since leaving TriStar, even though she doesn't really have one gym she trains at, mainly at a local place in Windsor. It does speak volumes that a gym on that level has helped with her progression more than Tri-Star. I just love her because I associate with her upbringing and story, I know what it's like first hand leaving Iran-Iraq war and coming to Canada.

Haha don't be sorry at all, i'm just a huge fan because of the TUF season as well. I know you and others train, I've enjoyed the info about Rick Glenn and such, I never take it to heart. It's one of the reasons why I always poke around and come back to this part of the forums. Cheers man!

I think Tri-Star is an overrated gym, and that's coming from someone who LOVES that gym for the sake of being a pipeline for Canadian MMA. Firas tries to do too much with fighters sometimes, the Rory-Wonderboy fight was so puzzling. Firas wanted Rory to use Thompson's style against him, and that's the fight that caused Rory to start training more with Toshido (his original gym in British Columbia). I think Firas is very intelligent, but the strategy can be so puzzling sometimes.

Interesting! I don't even recall that fight, TBH.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#684 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:16 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Interesting! I don't even recall that fight, TBH.

Very lackluster fight, don't blame you at all. A lot of nothing going on, Wonderboy won 50-45 on most cards but it hardly felt that dominating, the 48-47 given by the other judge didn't feel far off either. Just a strange fight, not really worth watching at all either. I love both guys, so any small exciting moment in the fight would lead me to overrating it, but no..nothing.

Some of it had to do with Rory still being tentative over his nose, it was his first fight after the Lawler war. But he went on Ariel's show and explained the gameplan and it exposed Firas completely. Why make someone a karate fighter to beat the best karate fighter in MMA.... idk.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#685 » by Headliner » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:29 am

Jon Jones and Nunes are back on the same card. Nunes takes Holmes

Woodly and Lawler are fighting. That’s a fun one and it opens up Askren vs Masdival which is rumoured to be next.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#686 » by REDDzone » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:01 am

I really don't care to see Masvidal fight a non Leon Edwards opponent tbh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#687 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:14 am

REDDzone wrote:I really don't care to see Masvidal fight a non Leon Edwards opponent tbh.

Maybe in July. Maybe in April. Maybe not even in the UFC
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#688 » by Headliner » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:I really don't care to see Masvidal fight a non Leon Edwards opponent tbh.

He'll fight Leon Edwards after Askren steps on his head on his way to Marty. I like the fight simply to keep the Askren Circus in business. I can't think of a worse fight for Masvidal, but if he were to win it, he's a legit contender.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#689 » by Bernman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 pm

I really don't care to see Masvidal fight a non Ben Askren opponent tbh. War of words will be epic, and Masvidal has good tdd so you never know. But Jorge said back in the day he doesn't do that "gay pajama stuff" so if it gets to the ground he may be helpless.

Good on the brass for pivoting from Askren-Lawler rematch when it makes less business and interest sense. Ended up using head over heart. I'll be a post-Zuffa Zombie if they pull a Pettis-Diaz bro grudge match. If Pettis beats one Diaz bro, the other is next to try and get vengeance. Those fights would be fire on paper and have storyline. They're MWGA'ing - Making WW Great Again.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#690 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:56 pm

I'm only ok w Askren moving on because Lawler is otherwise being taken care of. Woodley
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#691 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Askren better hope he gets the Masvidal fight otherwise he is the odd man out in the top 10 with Till/Wonderboy losing, Lawler/Woodley booked, Covington/Usman booked, Dos Anjos booked, etc.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#692 » by REDDzone » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:50 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I'm only ok w Askren moving on because Lawler is otherwise being taken care of. Woodley

Independent contractors gonna independent contract. Bro.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#693 » by Headliner » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Masidival vs Askren at 239
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#694 » by TroyD92 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:03 am

Pretty sure its mandatory to be juiced in ONE.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#695 » by REDDzone » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:15 pm

Has there ever been a fighter in the sport gifted more big fights than Holly Holm? She comes into the UFC and wins a split vs Raquel and then a lackluster decision over parttime fighter Reneau and gets Ronda and obviously we know what happened there. But then she goes on to lose TWO in a row before being gifted another title shot which she lost. She bounces back to beat parttime fighter Bethe and getting ANOTHER title shot which she lost handily. Then she wins ONE fight before she is now given another shot against Nunes. To recap, 5-4 in the UFC with 4 title fights (3 losses) and another title fight on the way.

It would be cool for Nunes to beat her because I think she will have literally beaten every female champion in the history of the UFC lol (maybe literally, except for 115ers?). If Holly wins though I'll be pretty salty about it. I just hate her wet blanket energy and how constantly she gets all these undeserved big fights.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#696 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Apr 3, 2019 11:59 pm

REDDzone wrote:Has there ever been a fighter in the sport gifted more big fights than Holly Holm? She comes into the UFC and wins a split vs Raquel and then a lackluster decision over parttime fighter Reneau and gets Ronda and obviously we know what happened there. But then she goes on to lose TWO in a row before being gifted another title shot which she lost. She bounces back to beat parttime fighter Bethe and getting ANOTHER title shot which she lost handily. Then she wins ONE fight before she is now given another shot against Nunes. To recap, 5-4 in the UFC with 4 title fights (3 losses) and another title fight on the way.

It would be cool for Nunes to beat her because I think she will have literally beaten every female champion in the history of the UFC lol (maybe literally, except for 115ers?). If Holly wins though I'll be pretty salty about it. I just hate her wet blanket energy and how constantly she gets all these undeserved big fights.

I disagree with this entirely. Because on the flipside is the fact that Holm has also few easy fights. It's been a host of HOFers. She has fought hard and well against each one of these women (she went unconscious rather than tap against Tate, for example). She's moved up in weight to get the big fights (GDR gave up the belt at 145 to avoid Cyborg, Holm moved up 10 pounds to take her on). And she's battled some obvious fear and anxiety to do what she's done (stories of her crying in the parking lot at Jackson's in advance of RR fight). She has taken any of this for granted, she's taken every opportunity she could.

You give the impression that she was gifted the Cyborg fight after Bethe. That's ridiculous. Who did she step over to get that? A bunch of cowering women who were doing everything they could to avoid that fight? Become the matchmaker and tell me who was more deserving? She was the best possible threat to Cyborg in all of women's MMA. Clearly.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#697 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:02 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Has there ever been a fighter in the sport gifted more big fights than Holly Holm? She comes into the UFC and wins a split vs Raquel and then a lackluster decision over parttime fighter Reneau and gets Ronda and obviously we know what happened there. But then she goes on to lose TWO in a row before being gifted another title shot which she lost. She bounces back to beat parttime fighter Bethe and getting ANOTHER title shot which she lost handily. Then she wins ONE fight before she is now given another shot against Nunes. To recap, 5-4 in the UFC with 4 title fights (3 losses) and another title fight on the way.

I disagree with this entirely. Because on the flipside is the fact that Holm has also few easy fights. It's been a host of HOFers. She has fought hard and well against each one of these women (she went unconscious rather than tap against Tate, for example). She's moved up in weight to get the big fights (GDR gave up the belt at 145 to avoid Cyborg, Holm moved up 10 pounds to take her on). And she's battled some obvious fear and anxiety to do what she's done (stories of her crying in the parking lot at Jackson's in advance of RR fight). She has taken any of this for granted, she's taken every opportunity she could.

You give the impression that she was gifted the Cyborg fight after Bethe. That's ridiculous. Who did she step over to get that? A bunch of cowering women who were doing everything they could to avoid that fight? Become the matchmaker and tell me who was more deserving? She was the best possible threat to Cyborg in all of women's MMA. Clearly.

I see both points but certainly lean further towards Holmes having a tougher run of fights in the UFC than almost all other fighters, men or women. Title shots aside and looking at fights as just fights, she's fought the best of the best outside of her first two fights and Bethe.

The fact that the women's division isn't exactly deep just means there's more opportunities to fight for the title and happens in other not very deep divisions as well. Like how many shots have Joe B, Dodson and Cejudo have at Might Mouse? She only ever fought the cream of the crop. Reminds me of Faber when he was rolling through everyone but the champions.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#698 » by REDDzone » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:08 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I disagree with this entirely. Because on the flipside is the fact that Holm has also few easy fights. It's been a host of HOFers. She has fought hard and well against each one of these women (she went unconscious rather than tap against Tate, for example). She's moved up in weight to get the big fights (GDR gave up the belt at 145 to avoid Cyborg, Holm moved up 10 pounds to take her on). And she's battled some obvious fear and anxiety to do what she's done (stories of her crying in the parking lot at Jackson's in advance of RR fight). She has taken any of this for granted, she's taken every opportunity she could.

Right. You're going to get tough fights when every other fight is a title fight whether you're coming off a win or a loss. I don't understand how 80% of your post is relevant to mine TBH. She got put out by Tate and has anxiety? Okay. What does that have to do with every other fight being a title when she has lost 3 title fights in a row and is ~.500 in the UFC?

I'm not saying she's a bad fighter, FWIW. And I'm not blaming her for seizing the opportunities given to her.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#699 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Apr 4, 2019 2:50 pm

Explain how the Cyborg fight was "undeserved". You would have just had Cyborg sit out?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#700 » by REDDzone » Thu Apr 4, 2019 3:05 pm

That's obviously the one weird example with the 145 division having literally one fighter in it. Did she deserve to fight for the 145 belt coming off two straight losses? Does she deserve a shot at the 135 belt now coming off a win over someone with no UFC wins at 145?

You can probably take each single example and rationalize it, but end of the day she is a 5-4 fighter with a 1-3 record in title shots (and one on the way!). I can't really imagine there is another example like this in the UFC.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts